Still Missing CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 *husband arrested* #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took notes, but most of what Larry Millete said from the jail interview was "I rather not comment on that" or "he has speculations that will come out in trial" or "he had to keep his composure, that is how he was trained, he didn't want to embarrass his children being seen as week (crying or having emotions).

Watch it here:

I took notes, but most of what Larry Millete said from the jail interview was "I rather not comment on that" or "he has speculations that will come out in trial" or "he had to keep his composure, that is how he was trained, he didn't want to embarrass his children being seen as week (crying or having emotions).

Watch it here:
Outrageous! There should be a gag order.
He is trying to delay with no doubt a request for change of venue after this interview. The DA needs to work with the judge to stop this clear attempt at subverting the trial. All amateur opinion of course!
SMH. Outrageous!

Amateur opinion and speculation

10/3/23

Over the course of four visits, which included two on-camera interviews, Larry Millete broke his silence to NBC 7 Investigates. Those interviews were conducted against the wishes of his defense attorney Bonita Martinez.

During the first two visits, NBC 7's team established ground rules for the interviews. Larry agreed that no questions would be off-limits.

Larry’s terms were unique. He told us he didn’t want his children to see their father in a jail uniform. He also believed that prosecutors would use video of his facial expressions and body language against him in the upcoming trial. So NBC 7 agreed to only show portions of Larry’s face and body.

The first interview was conducted in the regular visitation area, between thick glass. Larry and Alexis used a landline phone system to communicate. The second interview took place in a meeting room, with only open air between Larry and the NBC 7 Investigates team.

The San Diego Sheriff’s Department recorded all interviews and visits, which is standard protocol for public inmate visits.

I took rough notes as I listened to the interviewer Alexis Rivas from NBC News7 and Larry Millete from the San Diego Jail, but it's not even worth transcribing my notes. His answers were very evasive, and he didn't divulge anything new or important. MOO, he didn't present himself as having an emotional connection, and it was as though he was doing this interview insincerely going through the motions. (MOO, he comes across as avoiding truthfully answering questions, comes across as distant and removed, and IMO, guilty, but that is strictly my own opinion.)

Larry said at the end that his attorney didn't want him to do this, which is odd because he went ahead and did it anyways. In the interview he says "he'll listen to his attorneys on whether he'll take the stand at his trial". Said if advised by council he'll take the stand at his trial because they're the professionals. If he comes across like he did in these jail interviews, and takes the stand, I foresee a guilty verdict for sure, JMO though.

"I don’t even want to say anything. But the allegations are outrageous." Larry Millete

Watch the Jail Interviews here:

Larry: “I don’t even want to say anything. But the allegations are outrageous.”
Alexis: “Why would you say they’re outrageous?”
Larry: “Again: I just don’t want to go into detail, because then my words can be twisted.”
Alexis: “What was the last interaction you had with Maya before she vanished?”
Larry: “Um, I just don’t want to comment about that.”
Alexis: “So where do you think Maya is now?”
Larry: “Um, no comment. It’s just, I have speculations but it'll come out during the trial.”
Alexis: “I know you've told me. You think she's still alive, but is that still true?”
Larry: “Yes ma’am. But I'm kind of the guy that's like a pray for the best, prepare for the [worst].”

Alexis: “Something I keep coming back to, because I think, you know how, if Maya is still alive, how did she manage to leave your home without being seen? We have the surveillance video of the last time Maya’s seen coming home that afternoon. How is it possible for her to have left your home? Without any video, any evidence anyone's seeing her?”
Larry: “That will be coming out during the trial. There’s ways, but you don’t want to divulge that information because the DA could use this.”

Alexis: “Well, even if you can't explain how that is possible — how she leaves the home — if she's still alive, how do you explain no financial transactions? No cell phone activity? No evidence of life?”
Larry: “Again, that will come out during the trial. There's a, you know, speculation that the defense has, and I'll just leave that to the trial when that stuff comes out.”....Interview continues

"I don’t even want to say anything. But the allegations are outrageous." Larry Millete

Watch the Jail Interviews here:

Larry: “I don’t even want to say anything. But the allegations are outrageous.”
Alexis: “Why would you say they’re outrageous?”
Larry: “Again: I just don’t want to go into detail, because then my words can be twisted.”
Alexis: “What was the last interaction you had with Maya before she vanished?”
Larry: “Um, I just don’t want to comment about that.”
Larry: “Um, no comment. It’s just, I have speculations but it'll come out during the trial.”
Alexis: “I know you've told me. You think she's still alive, but is that still true?”
Larry: “Yes ma’am. But I'm kind of the guy that's like a pray for the best, prepare for the [worst].”

Alexis: “Something I keep coming back to, because I think, you know how, if Maya is still alive, how did she manage to leave your home without being seen? We have the surveillance video of the last time Maya’s seen coming home that afternoon. How is it possible for her to have left your home? Without any video, any evidence anyone's seeing her?”
Larry: “That will be coming out during the trial. There’s ways, but you don’t want to divulge that information because the DA could use this.”

Alexis: “Well, even if you can't explain how that is possible — how she leaves the home — if she's still alive, how do you explain no financial transactions? No cell phone activity? No evidence of life?”
Larry: “Again, that will come out during the trial. There's a, you know, speculation that the defense has, and I'll just leave that to the trial when that stuff comes out.”....Interview continues
Pants on fire

Amateur opinion and speculation

Larry said at the end that his attorney didn't want him to do this, which is odd because he went ahead and did it anyways.
^^rsbm

I think the jury is still out on whether or not Bonita Martinez will continue to represent him, or if he will have a public defender for trial. She can probably use this interview in her request to withdraw.

I believe the decision as to whether or not he can access funds from the sale of the family home was pushed out to the end of the year-- also why BM was trying to get the trial moved to July 2024!

Well, I think his attorney Bonita Martinez encouraged him to do this interview. She and he think alike, that people are stupid enough to buy lame excuses and empty denials. (His weak defense is going to be she left voluntarily and that she's not dead. They'll have to bet on reasonable doubt. That's the only defense they can go with.) She may not end up defending him at trial, but I imagine she's still in his corner for now.

I've followed other cases in the local area, and it being pushed out is not surprising or a big deal really. Pray Maya is found in the meantime, and that when this does go to trial there's no doubts. Even then, he'll probably get 16 yrs. or less,
t2417.gif
like Elizabeth Sullivan's murdering husband got and there was plenty of evidence by the time that went to trail. These are just my own thoughts and ALL MOO.

Last edited:
There are so many similarities in Maya's case and Suzanne Morphew's. It's like these guys follow a script after they kill their wives.
Starting with the startling belief that they can.

Goes without saying but I'm saying it anyway -- partners are not possessions. To fo with as they please.

The level of control is stunning.

Chilling.

jmo

I think the jury is still out on whether or not Bonita Martinez will continue to represent him, or if he will have a public defender for trial. She can probably use this interview in her request to withdraw....
While I was washing my face in the bathroom, I had the tv on loud to hear the news in the other room. They said-- Larry Millete will be in court tomorrow at 1:30 p.m., and something about them finding out if his present attorney will be defending him at his trial.

Tuesday, October 10th:
*Felony Readiness Conference Hearing (@ 9am PT) - CA - *May “Maya” Millete (39) (last seen @ home on Jan. 7, 2021, near San Miguel Ranch area, Chula Vista & reported missing Jan. 9, 2021 by her sister; not found). *Larry Ibarreta Millete (40/now 42) charged (10/18/21), arrested (10/19/21) & arraigned (10/21/21) & re-arraigned (1/25/23) with felony murder & felony possession of an assault weapon (a search warrant was served at the residence on 1/23/21. Detectives located a .223/5.56 rifle. The firearm is non-California complaint configuration & is an unlawful assault rifle in violation of 30605 PC, which is a felony). Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Denied bail (11/4/21). Found mentally competent to stand trial (9/26/22).
The case has been reassigned to the South Bay courthouse from Judge Dwayne Moring, the jurisdiction where the crime is alleged to have occurred & Judge Enrique Camarena will preside over the trial in Chula Vista.
Murder trial was set to begin on 10/9/23 was continued on 1/16/24.

Case & court info from 1/7/21 thru 7/6/23 reference post #683 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-35

7/13/23 Update: Next felony readiness conference hearing on 7/24/23 @ 8:30am & a further proceedings hearing @ 1:30pm. 7/24/23 Update: Judge Enrique Camarena noted that Larry missed the last hearing because he was upset about delays. In fact, most, if not all, of the delays in the case so far have been at the request of the defense. Millete asked the judge on Monday to delay his trial for allegedly murdering her until next year. The reason: He doesn't have enough money on hand to fund his defense. Larry's trial is now scheduled for 1/16/24 @ 9am. Judge Camarena eventually ruled to allow the delay but that on the next hearing date — scheduled for 10/10/23 @ 1:30pm — he wanted a decision about whether Martinez would be staying on as Larry's defense attorney or he would need to appoint a public defender for him. Should a public defender be appointed, court watchers can expect a significant delay while Larry's prospective attorney gets caught up on the case. And coming up Felony Other Motion Hearing scheduled for 1/8/24 @ 9am. Hearing on 10/10/23 time was changed from 1:30pm to 9am.
*Guardianship Case: Family Court Case The judge said a final decision on custody of the children likely will not be made until after Larry's murder trial is concluded. 8/22/23: Judge sets 1/5/24 as trial date.
Conservatorship Case: Review hearing on
12/4/23.

While I was washing my face in the bathroom, I had the tv on loud to hear the news in the other room. They said-- Larry Millete will be in court tomorrow at 1:30 p.m., and something about them finding out if his present attorney will be defending him at his trial.

For LM's sake and the sake of justice, IMO, this is a positive move. If anyone questions this decision, just view a few minutes of the preliminary hearing where a very patient Judge Moring presided over the case.

Personally, I couldn't see Judge Camarena doing any hand holding for the defense. Nothing against Bonita Martinez but there's a tremendous difference between family law and criminal defense. MOO

From the quoted link:

10/10/23

The murder trial for Larry Millete, the Chula Vista man accused of killing his wife Maya Millete, will be delayed until next August. Tuesday, San Diego County Superior Court Judge Enrique Camarena Jr. relieved Bonita Martinez as Larry’s attorney, at the request of Martinez. The decision came less than four months before his murder trial was scheduled to begin.

[..]

Martinez told NBC 7 Investigates she no longer wanted to represent Larry due to his lack of finances.

During our exclusive jailhouse interview, Larry told NBC 7 Investigates he already paid Martinez more than $200,000. But weeks after that interview, Martinez told NBC 7 that Larry’s case will average $500,000 – which she says he cannot afford.

Just received this in my email - so no link.

District Attorney Case Notification <DistrictAttorneyCaseNotification@sdcda.org>

10:47 AM (1 hour ago)

to me
THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM CASE CS319857:

The event "Felony Jury Trial" scheduled for Jan 16 2024 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in department 10 has been Vacated.

THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN ADDED FOR CASE CS319857:

Felony Readiness Conference scheduled for Jan 8 2024 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

Felony Jury Trial scheduled for Aug 26 2024 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

and thanks @Curious Me ! :)

Just received this in my email - so no link.

District Attorney Case Notification <DistrictAttorneyCaseNotification@sdcda.org>

10:47 AM (1 hour ago)

to me
THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM CASE CS319857:

The event "Felony Jury Trial" scheduled for Jan 16 2024 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in department 10 has been Vacated.

THE FOLLOWING EVENT(S) HAVE BEEN ADDED FOR CASE CS319857:

Felony Readiness Conference scheduled for Jan 8 2024 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

Felony Jury Trial scheduled for Aug 26 2024 9:00AM at the San Diego Superior Court, South County Division, South County Regional Center in Department 10.

and thanks @Curious Me ! :)
I'll look it up @Niner and see if we have the name of his new attorney yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member