CA CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear @rosesfromangels
I have been on your proverbial fence with you even though my first instincts were whatever all our first instincts are in these situations. But when you posted, I saw that my blinders were on and due to your posts, I removed them.
However, now with knowing what we know with someone no longer cooperating with LE, the 11 + hour beach trip, the day after an argument, and nobody actually seeing her on Friday and nobody calling her in as missing until parents showed up on Saturday, I have to slide off the fence.
Thank you, though for always letting me see a different side, or angle and keeping me on the fence until further info becomes available.
Your input is always valuable and honest and I respect your posts and thoughts.

Yes I credit @rosesfromangels with helping me keep an open mind also. I don't think it ever hurts to keep an open mind, open to all possibilities and just looking at the evidence as it appears to us and evaluating based on full information. And one of the most positive things about WS and what separates it from other crime sites is the victim friendly policy and defaulting to regarding all people not named as suspects or POI as victims.

I really hope Maya is found for both her sake, her families sake and also to absolutely ensure justice prevails, and I feel so bad for her children who she loved so dearly. I for one take comfort in knowing they have a really strong, loving extended family.

Missing California mother's family sends new message to husband: 'Come and help us find your wife' | Fox News

"People are reaching out from all over the world who knew her, worked with her in the past, went to college with her," Richard Drouaille, Maya's brother-in-law, told Fox News Saturday. "She touched so many people and it's been shown through the support that we've gotten. It's been a blessing."

Maya's husband, Larry Millete, has not shown up at any of the recent rallies.

"We wish he was out here helping us. Come and help us find your wife," Drouaille said. "Unfortunately that's not happening."

Human remains in East County appear unrelated to missing mom | cbs8.com

from the link: (bolded by me)
“Larry Millete told officers he drove his four-year-old son to the beach in the Lexus on that Friday, according to family members, who also said they tried unsuccessfully that day to reach the husband on his cell phone.

They left at 6:30 a.m. in the morning to go to Solana Beach and they didn't come back until about 5 p.m. in the afternoon,” Drouaillet said.”

Was this a preplanned trip? That was a long time away from home and a long time to be unavailable by phone. If Maya was not actually behind the locked bedroom door (which appears likely), then he left his girls alone at the house. I don’t like the sound of this.
MOO

Also notable: LM lawyered up on the day, or shortly thereafter the day, they discovered human remains in Santee. Did those remains make him nervous?

On the other hand, if he says he went to the beach that day in San Diego, I'd hope his GPS coordinates can confirm that, as well as CCTV. Otherwise, they should probably start looking in the opposite direction of that beach.

Imo.

ETA: The last family trip they went on over New Years, was to Glamis Sand Dunes, where LM was arguing with May about taking her jeep.

"It was weird because Larry was acting different. He wasn't acting like Larry. He was acting different... They were done. The relationship was done. You could just tell.'

Richard describes Larry as 'always quiet' on the trips, typically staying near the camp or with his car 'in his own business.'

'He was always quiet but on this last trip he was having fun and he was having a lot of fun but with her vehicle,' Richard stated.

'During the day, he wasn't really at the camp. He was always driving around and then he would come and ask her a question and then they would argue. Not argue in front of the family but you could tell that there was no communication between them. No positive communication between them.'

Both Richard and Miracris noted that Larry had been having a lot of fun with the Jeep Wrangler, which had been purchased by the mother.

'He was having more fun than my sister considering it was my sister's Jeep,' Miracris said. 'He wanted to take the Jeep and he wanted to drive it and my sister wanted to drive it. So they had been arguing about that.' "

<modsnip>

It's about 2 hrs 17 mins from Chula Vista to the dunes. From the dunes to Solona Beach, it's 2 hrs 26 mins. He theoretically could have gone to the beach that day, just after he made a stop (in the opposite direction).

Last edited by a moderator:
What reason would one have to go to a beach, a ways from home, on a cool dark morning ( 6:30am) with a 4 yr old?? And stay all day? Either he has a great reason and perhaps phone GPS to back it up or the story falls apart right there for him. I am guessing LE is all over it. MOO and just my musings.

What reason would one have to go to a beach, a ways from home, on a cool dark morning ( 6:30am) with a 4 yr old?? And stay all day? Either he has a great reason and perhaps phone GPS to back it up or the story falls apart right there for him. I am guessing LE is all over it. MOO and just my musings.
I need to know if where he said he went is even the truth.

Wow. These developments are huge, imo.

Did we find anything in regards to his phone? Did it go straight to voicemail when they called him Friday? Or he told them “oh sorry, you were looking for me and May? I have no idea, I left my phone at home!”
Personally, I think he was “smart” and decided against taking it.. that or he turned off/disengaged the battery.
Between having other kids and a trip happening the next day, that disconnection is extremely fishy. (Also, impromptu day trip the day before a big trip?? Yeah, no.)

Getting up and leaving at 6:30 am (suns not even up and it’s cold out) for a “beach trip” definitely paints a picture that he needed a reason to be able to get out of the house ASAP! I am honestly in disbelief that a dog did not pick up cadaverine. If they did, would that be enough for an arrest or at least taking the children?

If he did go to that specific beach, I believe it would only be for a short time, hoping for a witness alibi or getting caught on a camera to corroborate, etc.

I wonder how long it takes to get GPS data from a car, I hope that’s applicable here.

I too believe he took the youngest as an alibi, going on a “Beach trip” alone sounds hinky and a 4 yo would be the least questioning and the most distractable.
Moo!

Last edited:
Arguing over the Jeep worries me. That was her outlet, her passion, not to mention her vehicle. If LM suddenly wanted it, I think it was not the actual Jeep he wanted but it represented her freedom. From him. IMO.

I’m on my 3rd Jeep Wrangler.
I can tell from her social media pics - she loved that Jeep. That said (wow)she left the Jeep behind! Not to mention her precious children, the other cars, her house and contents all left behind ..her joint bank accounts not touched. What a convenient possible transition for someone. No divorce fees, no dividing property, no possible child support .. on and on.
I’m curious if there is any life insurance
on her.

MOO

What a respectful and lovely post; how nice! Thank you!

I have a rather dark speculation about what that long trip might have been about; perhaps something not carried out.

I am forcing myself to stay disciplined and wait for more info from LE. My speculations are getting dark. I think given the traumatic nature of events, it would be best for LM to *immediately* relinquish the children to his mother’s care, or May’s sister.

I feel a sense of urgency about this.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I agree with Spartygirl.
You keep it real.
And I think you were right about Barbara Thomas case, btw.

Exactly!
From what I read and saw on her social media...she is clear about what is important to her. Her children , who she takes everywhere...from the sand dunes to the Eiffel Tower. Her family...she’s hugging her mom, she confides in her sister..her BILaw is crying buckets on the news. Her friends adore her.
She so wanted that Jeep forever...she finally got one and it takes her & the kids to amazing places. She states this on SM. She joined a Jeep club. She takes tons of pics/videos with her phone. She holds down a stellar job, balances it all ...presents herself as extremely accountable.
So WHY would she leave these very important things?
Leave them ALL suddenly. No communication? No instructions?
No apologies? No money withdraws? No phone pings? No Jeep? Nothing.
The only thing she was possibly leaving - was him.
And THAT is the most dangerous time for “the leaver” IMO.

MOO and personal experience.

Absolutely!! It seems very very unlikely that she would up and leave all of the things she loved in this world with no notice. I did glimpse what seemed to be some impulsivity from her social media but you would think cooler heads would prevail shortly thereafter and she would have reached out to her family or returned home to her children.

Wow. These developments are huge, imo.

Did we find anything in regards to his phone? Did it go straight to voicemail when they called him Friday? Or he told them “oh sorry, you were looking for me and May? I have no idea, I left my phone at home!”
Personally, I think he was “smart” and decided against taking it.. that or he turned off/disengaged the battery.
Between having other kids and a trip happening the next day, that disconnection is extremely fishy. (Also, impromptu day trip the day before a big trip?? Yeah, no.)

Getting up and leaving at 6:30 am (suns not even up and it’s cold out) for a “beach trip” definitely paints a picture that he needed a reason to be able to get out of the house ASAP! I am honestly in disbelief that a dog did not pick up cadaverine. If they did, would that be enough for an arrest or at least taking the children?

If he did go to that specific beach, I believe it would only be for a short time, hoping for a witness alibi or getting caught on a camera to corroborate, etc.

I wonder how long it takes to get GPS data from a car, I hope that’s applicable here.

I too believe he took the youngest as an alibi, going on a “Beach trip” alone sounds hinky and a 4 yo would be the least questioning and the most distractable.
Moo!

I guess it's always possible that Maya left with him that Friday morning to go "to the beach."

You would think he wouldn't go off on a "day trip" with a small child in the car without his phone. Wonder if he "accidentally" left his at home.

Unfortunately, the kids are going to hold a lot of answers. Again, I hope they are safe.

I agree with Spartygirl.
You keep it real.
And I think you were right about Barbara Thomas case, btw.
Wow, you guys fill my heart.
Here’s what I’ve learned that I *try* to apply to the best of my ability. I know I immediately project my own personal experiences when reading about a case. But of course, we all experience life differently, so personal experience isn’t alwAys a good measuring stick. Statistics are very useful to determine a baseline of behavior. I usually reference the DOJ stats, and then overlay regional information on top of that. I do look at behavioral clues, but rank that low on my analysis. People all act so differently under duress. Then lastly, i use the gift of instinct, but it’s weighted low. My gift of instinct is geographic; where to find. We all have an instinctual gift, but it ranks behind forensics and data IMO.

I enjoy thinking together, and coming up with legit info or suggestions that can sometimes turn in to a legitimate tip.
Let’s keep pressing on here and see what we can offer up.

Peace, love, and roses to all.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Trying to see all possibilities and of course, this is speculation only...

....perhaps LM thought that a day away after an argument would be a good move...a cooling off period. The girls had virtual school, the 4 year old did not.

Or

...there was "evidence" that needed to be placed somewhere - the further away the better. A 4 year old who arose before 6:30 am would need a good nap at some point and may well sleep through any planned "evidence" dumps.

I'm clinging to the top of the fence with just my fingernails...but LM's lack of participation in search efforts is hanging heavy on my feet.

I’m on my 3rd Jeep Wrangler.
I can tell from her social media pics - she loved that Jeep. That said (wow)she left the Jeep behind! Not to mention her precious children, the other cars, her house and contents all left behind ..her joint bank accounts not touched. What a convenient possible transition for someone. No divorce fees, no dividing property, no possible child support .. on and on.
I’m curious if there is any life insurance
on her.

MOO
I’m not knowledgeable about Jeep ownership—but you are (your 3rd!), so, may I ask: I guess I thought it was more for off-roading than street driving in town. Not so? So, if she wasn’t intending to do that kind of activity, would she still have driven off in her Jeep?

IF she went somewhere of her own accord, she intended for it to be a very brief activity. I think we all agree it extremely unlikely—I think impossible—of all the options that she has left her old life behind like this intentionally without letting any of her family know. That Big Bear birthday trip for her daughter that she planned convinces me of that. MOO

Hello all. Again wanted to apologize earlier for making comments that violated TOS, making remarks that were damaging to the victim and also sharing investigative processes without being validated here . However, I will provide some answers to various questions asked by citing public, reputable sources to affirm many of the past statements I’ve made. Moderator, please feel free to object and delete this post if still not appropriate.

1. Why is May’s missing person case unusual and can be deemed a potential homicide or act of criminal endangerment?
- By identifying sudden disruptions in the missing person’s normal routine that have no plausible explanation, investigators can prove the negative: The victim did not plan the departure, and, consequently, the disappearance may be the result of a criminal act or other endangerment. (FBI Behavioral Analysis, BAU 2012)

2. Why would Chula Vista seem to not share as much information with the public?
- The key to most if not all suspicious missing persons cases is to “protect the integrity” of the evidence. Evidence that may and will be used in future legal proceedings.

3. What reasons and general facts would make the CDP consider the husband as a top suspect or person of interest ?
- the evidence, atypical scenario, and investigative reason above, this case has been conducted beyond a simple missing persons case and would then be dual investigated as both a homicide and criminal endangerment case at the same time.
- Objectives of missing adults cases shift from finding a live person to locating a body typically within 7-14 days since the last know alive date. (Gomez/FBI, 2018)
- 93 percent of murdered females was at the hands of a romantic partner. 80% were the current partner, (Center for Disease Control and Prevention - July, 2017)
- Top motive for intimate partner homicide in the US is “Fear of abandonment and loss.” And typically after a spouse is threatened of divorce or separation. ( Forensic Psychologist, Dr Park Dietz, 2017). Maya inquired support from a Divorce and Separations Facebook group in January of 2021.

4. What reason would an intimate partner have to paint a negative picture of a missing person or provide answers irrelevant to the questioning?
- in the investigative world, the official term is called “staging”. A suspect typically paints a picture that removes them as far away from the time, location and place as possible (Eg I’m in a different room) and they create an illusion that the missing person left voluntarily (Eg. We had an argument) or the person may be located in a specific area (Eg she usually goes hiking). “Offenders sometimes believe that the longer a victim is presumed missing and not found, the easier they remove themselves from culpability.” (Yoder/FBI, 2016)

5. If this case is potentially deemed as a homicide, what options do the Chula Vista Police Department have?
- in these situations, CDP can request additional support from the FBI to work towards a “no-homicide” indictment. In this situation, FBI would provide guideline and legal support, helping the prosecutors optimize the evidence and legal strength of the charge. “investigators must invalidate any fabricated alibis. A concise timeline, forensic evidence, and behavioral analysis help link offenders to the crime scene and wipe away any false illusions” (Yoder/FBI, 2016)
- in other words, if a body is never found, a suspect can still be charged and found guilty. As an alternative to finding a body, prosecutor just needs to prove that “the loss sustained is felt and known”.

6. Why would the husband retain a lawyer? This will help the husband avoid making any statements that may implicate him as a suspect. If he is a person of interest, the police primary motive is to dispel truths and invalidate alibis and data. Having a lawyer will insure integrity of information.

No opinions stated above.

Last edited:
Very, very few people leave at 6:30 am to go to the beach. Wonder what the weather was like that day? *I live in San Diego.

Thank You @slowpoke for finding it. So, it was true! Not a rumor. LM really did take off to the beach with his son the day after he had that argument with missing Maya.

Human remains in East County appear unrelated to missing mom | cbs8.com
This bears repeating:
"Officers also impounded a black Lexus SUV, which the husband was believed to be driving on Friday, January 8, the day after Millete was last seen, according to family members. The SUV had a personalized license plate, MAYLANI."

"Larry Millete told officers he drove his four-year-old son to the beach in the Lexus on that Friday, according to family members, who also said they tried unsuccessfully that day to reach the husband on his cell phone."

“They left at 6:30 a.m. in the morning to go to Solana Beach and they didn't come back until about 5 p.m. in the afternoon,” Drouaillet said."

I seriously don’t know ONE person that would think it would be a good idea to take a 4-year-old child to the beach at 6:30 AM in January.
I agree. And so let’s play devils advocate. Suppose that is what happened. LE would ask about it. What could one say?
Get a jump on traffic?
Child would not sleep so we hit the road early so he could get a nap?
Wanted a good spot at the beach?
Wanted to stop at a favorite breakfast place?
You get it. I am just trying to come up with a scenario that would make sense. Of course, LE is not going to share the given answers right now. But I am guessing the question was asked. And the answers are leading LE in the right direction. Towards or away from the husband. MOO
ETA typos!

I know little kids tend to wake up early. But early enough to get out of the house at 6:30 AM? That poor kid probably slept the whole trip and was miserable all day. What 4 year old wants to be anywhere from 6:30 AM to 5 PM? That child must be an angel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrypaul