GUILTY CA - Nina Reiser, 31, Oakland, 3 September 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So now they move on to the penalty phase- which I'm not understanding - they didn't go for the death penalty did they?

I don't think it is a DP case, but he won't be getting a break from his Judge, the Judge was not a Hans fan, And I think will relish telling Hans just what they think of him prior to sentencing him

So will the penalty phase be with regard to his sentencing- i.e. LWOP as opposed to life with parole? I can't seem to find any clarifications for the penalty phase and what it will entail.

Jurors found Linux programmer Hans Reiser guilty of first degree murder on Monday, concluding he killed his estranged wife in 2006. The verdict followed a nearly six-month trial and nearly three days of deliberation

The 44-year-old developer of the ReiserFS filesystem, sat quietly as a clerk for Alameda County Superior Court Judge Larry Goodman read the verdict. Reiser faces a sentence of 25 years to life in prison. Wearing the same dark coat he's worn for months, the defendant was immediately removed from the courtroom by one of four bailiffs watching over the courtroom. He asked out loud if he could speak with his attorney.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/hans_reiser_trial/index.html#49143474

No, no death penalty and now the judge will impose the sentence. Looks like he's facing 25 years to life in prison.

I would convict him on 1st degree alone based on the missing car seat and the books he had researched on murder. It's too coincidental, plus the son saw him carrying out a body bag, and a woman who plans to disappear doesn't go grocery shopping right before- what a waste of food! And it would be cruel to her kids.

Guess the jury wasn't as stupid as he thought! :doh:They didn't buy his act about the cut-out car seat.
Buh-bye Hans!:behindbar:behindbar:behindbar

Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 29, 2008(04-29) 12:24 PDT Oakland
Computer programmer Hans Reiser was arrogant while testifying in his murder trial and never showed any compassion for his estranged wife, one of many factors that led to his conviction on first-degree murder, a member of the jury said today.

Dunn said the fact that Nina Reiser's blood was found in her husband's car and home "didn't in the end play as big a part as I thought it would." Instead, the jury found that it was suspicious that he had removed the front passenger seat and rear assembly area of his mother's Honda CRX, the car that prosecutors believe he hosed out after using it to transport his wife's body somewhere. more at link:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/29/BAKU10DLNG.DTL&tsp=1

Sentencing July 9th, he will get the top end, the Judge has at times been infuriated by Haq and the way he behaved and the attitude he had in court

and this will be a factor when weighing up any remorse,

I am so glad that Hans can try his "geek" act with the other inmates at prison. Gee, I wonder how well that will go forward, especially with his "arrogance" that knows no bounds.

Justice for Nina...finally.

I very much doubt the prosecution will "play" the game of the other side. Or change the verdict, but what may be dangled is life with parole or without the possibility of Parole. I doubt that the full sentence will change. Can you imagine the world if "criminals" held hostage the person's body that they killed for a lesser sentence upon conviction. That may be incentive before conviction, but not so much after a person has been found guilty.

At least the kids will know that their father killed their mother and that their mother did not "leave" them.

Just to clarify, a lawyer takes instruction for his client. The lawyer can advise against, can give many reason why a client should or should not do something, but in the end, it is the client that makes a decision.

Hans thought he would outsmart everyone and that his testimony on the stand would "convince the "not as smart jury" that he did not kill Nina.

But........

Lawyers loathe to put their clients on stand. It is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. Your story is open to cross. The more you lie the more apparent that you are lying. This is not lost on the jury.

Hans Reiser helped to convict himself though an act that the thought could benefit him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back