Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. It’s the reunification at all costs policy that gets children killed.
Im not saying at all that children don't need to be removed. I have a family member that worked for DSS in North Carolina, and I've heard the awful stories. I mean more in particular with the bio mom in this case. IMO

Yeah, I saw that article too. There are complaints like that in almost every county across the US. Employees are overworked understaffed, and under paid. Working conditions are sometimes unsafe. Customers do sometimes become unruly. A few years ago in Illinois, a caseworker died after being beaten.

In terms of caseworkers using false evidence in their reports, their claims still need to be proven in court. They can write whatever they want (including 'opinions') but it is ultimately up to a judge to decide whether or not children should be removed from their homes. They can't claim medical neglect or that the child was injured as a result of abuse without providing medical records supporting those claims.

I think it is much more often the case that children are left in abusive homes when they should be placed in foster care. They are given many chances and provided with many resources. Once they complete the court ordered services and their case is closed, they often go right back to ther old habits.

Imo
You could be absolutely right, thankfully I've never had to personally deal with CPS. So I guess my opinion is rather biased right now.

Howdy Everyone. I just recently started following here and am having a hard time catching up. Has it been revealed (through Websleuths approved sources/posting, etc.) why the boy's family moved to California City? Do they have jobs there? Thank you. JMOO

Please excuse if it is answered down thread. I am just catching up.

<Modsnip - no link provided> JW was a stay at home mom like oops I mean @ChatteringBirds said.
edited by me to correct a name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please excuse if it is answered down thread. I am just catching up.

<modsnip - no link provided> JW was a stay at home mom like oops I mean @ChatteringBirds said.
edited by me to correct a name.
I don't know how anyone can live "off grid" in a neighborhood like that, and with cellphones and computers. That makes no sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how anyone can live "off grid" in a neighborhood like that, and with cellphones and computers. That makes no sense to me.
I think he meant like more in the desert. It seems like he was a pretty private person, so I think compared to Bakersville it’s more nothing there kind of thing. Not a whole lot of things to do out there. Moo

I guess you could consider Cal City off the grid in comparison with Bakersfield. But I agree, it really makes no sense. Maybe he was just trying to manipulate the person who loaned him the money, in that she had an interest in living off the grid, in a homesteader lifestyle.

Exactly. No way, no how would anyone call this place “off grid”. Maybe he had plans for installing solar panels, but he would not have gotten a permit to dig a well. By his own admission, they didn’t let the children go out to play in the yard, except for the one time and they had to stay on the concrete. All of the Off Gridders I know encourage their kids to get outside and get their hands in the dirt. Either he misspoke, or that was a long term goal for him.

I have visited Bakersfield frequently and California City 2 or 3 times. Bakersfield is large with crowded freeways and roadways. California City is very rural. It’s not like it sits right alongside of a major highway. This is not a town that you drive through to get to some place else. If you ended up there it because that is your destination (hopefully that makes sense). It was originally formed as some futuristic town but it didn’t really pan out as planned so there are all of these streets with no houses and the streets that do have houses often have empty lots scattered throughout. My guess is that that is about as far off the grid he could go with county services making visits regularly for the two foster kids. Just my opinion.

Exactly. No way, no how would anyone call this place “off grid”. Maybe he had plans for installing solar panels, but he would not have gotten a permit to dig a well. By his own admission, they didn’t let the children go out to play in the yard, except for the one time and they had to stay on the concrete. All of the Off Gridders I know encourage their kids to get outside and get their hands in the dirt. Either he misspoke, or that was a long term goal for him.
The house had solar panels already, I suspect due to it previously being a grow house.

I have visited Bakersfield frequently and California City 2 or 3 times. Bakersfield is large with crowded freeways and roadways. California City is very rural. It’s not like it sits right alongside of a major highway. This is not a town that you drive through to get to some place else. If you ended up there it because that is your destination (hopefully that makes sense). It was originally formed as some futuristic town but it didn’t really pan out as planned so there are all of these streets with no houses and the streets that do have houses often have empty lots scattered throughout. My guess is that that is about as far off the grid he could go with county services making visits regularly for the two foster kids. Just my opinion.
Thank you for your local input, @Tired Professor! And welcome to WS!

Interesting. When you overlay the missing status of two of the children, this choice of residence seems a bit concerning to me. Of course, he could have selected the home because it was big enough to house all his wards, and in California terms, very affordable.

And yes, a warm welcome to you Tired Professor.

Amateur opinion and speculation

This post lands at random.

Please remember that Websleuths rules include the following:
  • Brainstorming theories is encouraged, but must be based on fact. For our purposes, "fact" refers to information published in the mainstream media (MSM) or other acceptable sources, such as academic and professional publications.
  • When you state something as "fact", you must back it up with a link to an approved source.
  • If you can't link it, you can't post it.
If another member asks for a link, please provide one. If you find a link is requested often, it would be useful to add the link to the corresponding Timeline & Media Links -- No Discussion forum thread.

i think some are taking it a bit too literal. i dont think he meant literally off grid i think he meant he wanted more privacy.

Interesting. When you overlay the missing status of two of the children, this choice of residence seems a bit concerning to me. Of course, he could have selected the home because it was big enough to house all his wards, and in California terms, very affordable.

And yes, a warm welcome to you Tired Professor.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Thank you!

i think some are taking it a bit too literal. i dont think he meant literally off grid i think he meant he wanted more privacy.
Right, we have to remember that this is TW's definition of "off grid," not the actual definition of "off grid." IMO, you're right, by "off grid," TW means he wants to live further away from lots of people, probably further away from a commercial or high traffic area, that kind of thing.

I think we probably all know someone who seems to have their own definitions of some words or phrases that are, like...close to the dictionary meaning of the word, but not quite exact. I know what I would mean by saying "off grid" or "rambunctious" or what have you, but what does TW mean by it? What does he think it means? We don't really know, IMO.

Right, we have to remember that this is TW's definition of "off grid," not the actual definition of "off grid." IMO, you're right, by "off grid," TW means he wants to live further away from lots of people, probably further away from a commercial or high traffic area, that kind of thing.

I think we probably all know someone who seems to have their own definitions of some words or phrases that are, like...close to the dictionary meaning of the word, but not quite exact. I know what I would mean by saying "off grid" or "rambunctious" or what have you, but what does TW mean by it? What does he think it means? We don't really know, IMO.

BBM
True. I guess we can also throw in “hitting all the corners” and “searching” along with “off grid”. He seems to have different definitions than I.

IMO
MOO

That's likely the case, but the move alone might attract more attention from social services, if that's what they were trying to avoid. If they were still fostering two children, I would think they would have to get approval first, and then the home would have to be inspected again once they moved in. If the kids were school aged they might be involved in the registration in a new school district.

Being isolated or living in a rural area doesn't prevent caseworkers from conducting regular visits. They can still drop in unannounced at any time. Imo

That's likely the case, but the move alone might attract more attention from social services, if that's what they were trying to avoid. If they were still fostering two children, I would think they would have to get approval first, and then the home would have to be inspected again once they moved in. If the kids were school aged they might be involved in the registration in a new school district.

Being isolated or living in a rural area doesn't prevent caseworkers from conducting regular visits. They can still drop in unannounced at any time. Imo

Yes of course! but it sort of isolates from every day nosy rosies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08