Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that, too. But if that's what happened, it would be crazy misplaced modesty, since there was no one for miles around who could get a peek. No need for "privacy." He could've peed in the trail, for gosh sake.

Added bonus? It would have evaporated right up!
It's more to follow hiking rules than for modesty. Experienced hikers will know better than me, but I know I read about it after Gerry Largay's remains were found when she got lost hiking the Appalachian Trail. Gerry actually got lost after going to the bathroom and wasn't found for over two years.
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy, which oversees the AT, offers two options on the matter: Dig a hole at least 200 feet off the trail and bury your feces and toilet paper, or be prepared to pack the toilet paper out in a sealed plastic bag. Most hikers choose option one.
‘When you find my body’: The last days of hiker Gerry Largay - The Boston Globe

I also believe you are supposed to be 200 feet from any water source. So it's more so out of respect for the trail and other hikers rather than personal modesty IMO.

Forgive me. I am trying to read many pages and catch up. DO we know if there is cell service where he went hiking? If so, would he know there was or was not cell service? Why didn't he take his phone? I am not feeling suicide here, but I've been wrong before.

Also, as mentioned upthread,. the timing is odd to me. the check out time is close for a heated hike alone at 9 am. ., shower time just before departure . even with a late checkout, what . time was the plane to leave? Also getting to the airport.. security.. lines.. waiting etc. IDK what to say, but something is missing for me

Did he drive the rental car to the trail? Did he leave a note on the car? Did he have health issues? and my main question WHY IS THERE NO TRACE OR SCENT OF HIM ON THE TRAIL? sorry I'm yelling.

It's more to follow hiking rules than for modesty. Experienced hikers will know better than me, but I know I read about it after Gerry Largay's remains were found when she got lost hiking the Appalachian Trail. Gerry actually got lost after going to the bathroom and wasn't found for over two years.

I also believe you are supposed to be 200 feet from any water source. So it's more so out of respect for the trail and other hikers rather than personal modesty IMO.

While all of that is true, the AT is a busy trail that winds and goes up and down. It’s easy to get caught in the altogether. But sometimes, you do what you have to do. An example would be in a long stretch of boardwalks.

Same on the side of a mountain. There’s nowhere to hide. Note: this is a serious problem on Everest.

Gerry Largay evidently had her own reasons for getting a significant way from the trail. Maybe she needed more than a quickie. She also had a history of getting disoriented, so maybe it wasn’t the best idea to leave the trail without telling anyone.

Out in the desert, with nary a person for miles around, not leaving the trail to pee is a pretty obvious maneuver.

The quote from the ATC applies to poop. IMO tp should be packed out, never buried, ‘cos animals get into it. Nothing like seeing tp shreds off trail on the AT. It’s disgusting.

While all of that is true, the AT is a busy trail that winds and goes up and down. It’s easy to get caught in the altogether. But sometimes, you do what you have to do. An example would be in a long stretch of boardwalks.

Same on the side of a mountain. There’s nowhere to hide. Note: this is a serious problem on Everest.

Gerry Largay evidently had her own reasons for getting a significant way from the trail. Maybe she needed more than a quickie. She also had a history of getting disoriented, so maybe it wasn’t the best idea to leave the trail without telling anyone.

Out in the desert, with nary a person for miles around, not leaving the trail to pee is a pretty obvious maneuver.

And still a bit easier for a man than a woman, a man can water a saw palmetto, while I'd have to find an oak tree o_O

Saw Palmetto for Sale - Wilcox Nursery

I followed Gerry’s case only part of the time, how tragic. :(. But I’m really curious how you knew she got lost after going to the bathroom, I never heard that. I guess I could see it happening though. We used to do overnight backpacks, but never alone, always as a family or couple. Had whistles, etc. but without that to ground you it could sure change your perception regarding your location and surroundings. I could see how it would be easy to lose your way. TIA

ETA: isn’t the reason for distance from water source to guard against further contamination of the water source? I thought so, am I wrong? Again TIA

Last edited:
I followed Gerry’s case only part of the time, how tragic. :(. But I’m really curious how you knew she got lost after going to the bathroom, I never heard that. I guess I could see it happening though. We used to do overnight backpacks, but never alone, always as a family or couple. Had whistles, etc. but without that to ground you it could sure change your perception regarding your location and surroundings. I could see how it would be easy to lose your way. TIA

ETA: isn’t the reason for distance from water source to guard against further contamination of the water source? I thought so, am I wrong? Again TIA

BBM

That is how I understand it. Yes, something to be mindful of, especially when hiking on reservoir/water treatment plant property, which is something we do a lot of (Mabry Carlton Reserve, Venice, FL).

BBM

That is how I understand it. Yes, something to be mindful of, especially when hiking on reservoir/water treatment plant property, which is something we do a lot of (Mabry Carlton Reserve, Venice, FL).

Thanks, MaryG, I know it’s been a while since I've done any overnighters, but this was etched into my brain early on and stuck with me. Like if you bring it in take it with you, leave it the way you found it, fires only in fire pits unless otherwise prohibited, and, don’t do anything unsanitary anywhere close to the water source.

Thanks, I really, really miss backpacking. To hell with our backs, I’ll just get a thicker mattress pad. :)

I cannot believe that a 51 yr old man would go on a hike alone in that heat for a photo of a sheep when he has a hotel checkout and a plane flight soon. I just cant get my mind around that

and the many dogs picked up no trace.
Yes, I am so on the fence with this case it’s gnawing at me. It’s just not adding up, but it’s not unlikely he simply hasn’t been found. But still...

O/T - Gerry’s case, not Paul’s. The Boston Globe article I linked mentions a text that went unsent due to service issues IIRC

I cannot believe that a 51 yr old man would go on a hike alone in that heat for a photo of a sheep when he has a hotel checkout and a plane flight soon. I just cant get my mind around that

and the many dogs picked up no trace.

I had an ex boyfriend who was like that and my husband is as well. Seems for some people time does not exist. "It'll only take a minute!" They want to pack as many experiences as possible into the day and can be quite unrealistic about how long something actually takes. Maybe Paul is such a person.

I agree that this is a different terrain and hike, and person, so it's probably not the same circumstances that lead to Gerry L's death on the AT.

What I do see as similar is that, although it seemed impossible that she could actually be out there, what with all the weeks of diligent searching, she was indeed there, one or two miles from the trail. The searchers/ dogs/ volunteers had missed her, just because of a large number of unfortunate circumstances.

One issue was her own decisions, she was obviously not thinking about how to make it easy for searchers to find her, likely because of panic and anxiety.

I think we tend to assume that the missing person was acting rationally went they went missing, I think it's very likely they were not.

I wonder about the possibility that he never went on the trail at all.

So, he parks the car at the trailhead, gets out, and then either voluntarily or involuntarily goes somewhere other than the trail.

Someone approaches him and lures him into a car? He decides to walk down the road he just drove up, and something happens from there?

(Since his wife initially planned to go on the hike too, I have to reject the running away/suicide options.)

I hope the searchers have searched alongside the approach road to the trailhead as carefully as they did the trail itself...

I wonder about the possibility that he never went on the trail at all.

So, he parks the car at the trailhead, gets out, and then either voluntarily or involuntarily goes somewhere other than the trail.

Someone approaches him and lures him into a car? He decides to walk down the road he just drove up, and something happens from there?

(Since his wife initially planned to go on the hike too, I have to reject the running away/suicide options.)

I hope the searchers have searched alongside the approach road to the trailhead as carefully as they did the trail itself...

We don’t know if he drove his car to the trailhead or if someone else did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks