Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, as mentioned upthread,. the timing is odd to me. the check out time is close for a heated hike alone at 9 am. ., shower time just before departure . even with a late checkout, what . time was the plane to leave? Also getting to the airport.. security.. lines.. waiting etc. IDK what to say, but something is missing for me

( Frisson’s post snipped for brevity.)

If my husband had decided to do this....I would have been furious with him!!

Does sound like a typical guy maneuver tho. ; )
I can totally see this scenario with my husband and me. I wouldn't be happy, but I would also enjoy my morning coffee without him after being on a road trip together for days on end. "Go see your sheep. Get your photo. I'll meet you back here. Don't be late!!"

Not making light of the situation, but rather identifying with it.

jmo

( Frisson’s post snipped for brevity.)

If my husband had decided to do this....I would have been furious with him!!

Same here.

I mean, he goes hiking while she is at the hotel room? Wouldn't/shouldn't she be a little suspicious? I mean, as a common female reaction.

From the clipped above message it looks like I said that *I'd* be furious if hubby went on the hike. Just for clarity I didn't say that. Anyway, she was planning to go then changed her mind.

Apparently they went to breakfast and she didn't want to hike afterwards. Maybe stayed behind to pack for the flight IDK

Wasn't she originally planning on going with him for that last hike?

Why would she be furious?
Exactly. I don't think she was furious at all. I'm guessing she was just done with the hiking and started getting practical about the packing, etc.

I am hoping with cooler weather in the autumn, a hiker will find him. I hope, also, that his location will help answer some questions about what happened that day.

jmo

Same here.

I mean, he goes hiking while she is at the hotel room? Wouldn't/shouldn't she be a little suspicious? I mean, as a common female reaction.

I don't think that would be a typical female reaction, especially for a couple married for a few years. One simply can't be so suspicious over such a little thing. Gosh, it would choke the relationship. My hubby and I would totally do exactly the same thing as this couple.

Is it still too hot for people and dogs to search? If so, when does it get cool enough there?

I still cant envision him veering too far off the trail unless he got turned around or the trail was indistinct or washed out and he followed the wrong way
TIA

The timing is really bothering me. I dont understand -- why go at that time? 9 am when it is already hot and getting late.... checkout of hotel... flight home....

What time was the flight?

LEST we forget --- it would have been the 3rd day during this anniversary vaca --- that Paul had been at Joshua Tree National Park.

Any hikers on this thread that have been back to the same hike location 3 (or more) times on one trip?

I don't think I follow what you are asking? This was their third day exploring Joshua Tree (a fairly large park), I do not believe they hiked this same trail on a earlier day?

They were at Joshua for three days? That is news to me and I thought i had read most posts; Altho I had to skim and read fast to keep up. That makes it even more strange... if they had been there 3 days.

Why rush back out.... alone.. at age 51 (not old, but not young) in the heat.. at the last minute... for a sheep photo (?) Sincere question.

Last edited:
They were at Joshua for three days? That is news to me and I thought i had read most posts; Altho I had to skim and read fast to keep up. That makes it even more strange... if they had been there 3 days.

Why rush back out.... alone.. at age 51 (not old, but not young) in the heat.. at the last minute... for a sheep photo (?) Sincere question.

Why sit in the hotel room watching the clock tick when you could make a really quick little trip back out on the trail and maybe snap a good picture of some sheep?

Any hikers on this thread that have been back to the same hike location 3 (or more) times on one trip?
There are people who hike every single day for months on end (The Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, etc.). It sounds like this was a hiking vacation for them so I totally understand his wanting to get in one final short hike before leaving.

Why sit in the hotel room watching the clock tick when you could make a really quick little trip back out on the trail and maybe snap a good picture of some sheep?
I see your point, but at 51 in the heat and given the timeline... I guess we are different. I'd have breakfast, get a shower , relax, and get to the airport.

Same here.

Suspicious of what? It was the morning of their last day of vacation. He was expected back around noon. They were on a hiking trip for their anniversary and he wanted to do more hiking before heading home.

Being suspicious of that is not a common female reaction. Not imo or in my experience as a common female. :)

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member