Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it may be possible that PM anticipated that his wife might decide to not go along that morning.

Under the circumstances, to me, it’s a little strange that P didn’t take his phone if nothing else to say I’ve done the trail and on my way.

DH & I are not the glued to the phone types either but he would have wanted to tell me about reaching the Spring, if he saw a sheep and when he was headed back to the car. Even if he hadn’t wanted to stay in light touch I would have assured that he had his phone on him cuz you just never know and it isn’t like there is a phone booth anywhere.

Also strange, to me, is not taking his DL. I can’t imagine being out of the country and not having all my documentation with me at least in the car.

Didn’t he have to have an International Driving Permit to rent a car?

How to Drive in the United States | DMV.ORG

In the US one is required to have their drivers license along while operating a motor vehicle.

all imo

I think it may be possible that PM anticipated that his wife might decide to not go along that morning.

Under the circumstances, to me, it’s a little strange that P didn’t take his phone if nothing else to say I’ve done the trail and on my way.

DH & I are not the glued to the phone types either but he would have wanted to tell me about reaching the Spring, if he saw a sheep and when he was headed back to the car. Even if he hadn’t wanted to stay in light touch I would have assured that he had his phone on him cuz you just never know and it isn’t like there is a phone booth anywhere.

Also strange, to me, is not taking his DL. I can’t imagine being out of the country and not having all my documentation with me at least in the car.

Didn’t he have to have an International Driving Permit to rent a car?

How to Drive in the United States | DMV.ORG

In the US one is required to have their drivers license along while operating a motor vehicle.

all imo

Do we know for sure where his driver's license was? If he 'didn't have it with him', but had left it on the car, I'd consider that perfectly reasonable, since he wasn't going to need it on the trail. (Some posters said that they wouldn't have done that, for fear of someone breaking into the car. That's a reasonable attitude, too, but I wouldn't worry about tucking my DL into the glove compartment, say.)

About the cell phone--since it'd been a hiking vacation, is it possible that he was completely disillusioned about the chance of getting cell reception on these hikes? (Why bother!) I assume that he was a serious photographer with a 'real' camera?

If there are no camera's in the parking lots and the first mile of any trails. They need to install this. If they don't have the money I'm sure they can raise it. Would this solve the problem???
People raise money for all kinds of things and this seems like a good idea. So many people go missing on trails. Install some security cameras.

Also, question, if he had taken his cell phone with him on the hike .. even if there were spotty service or no service, would the GPS still show the phone's location?

JMO
Depending on the type of poisonous snake and depending on how much venom the snake was able to inject does make a difference.

My dog was bit by a copperhead and within 10 minutes his foot started to swell really bad. Within 30-45 minutes we were at the Vet hospital and glad we rushed there because he didnt look too good. He was breathing heavy and was in distress.

Two doses of Anti-Venom and an overnight stay and he was much better by morning.

He ended up doing fine.

How it happened.
I was walking him on a long leash and I didnt notice that he had walked right up to a coiled up copperhead. I looked around in time to see the strike and jerked him backwards right off his feet in mid air and the snake was dangling from his leg while both went flying backwards. The snake let loose of him while in the air. Because of how quick I was able to react I think the snake did not get too much venom in him but he defintely got a dose.
It was very scary situation.

OMG Hatfield that's really scary! So glad you were able to react so quickly and prevent the worst.

We have snakes here too and over the years my dogs have killed several non-poisonous ones. We have seen cobras at least twice and I'm always worried my dogs will run into one. Very scary situation!

I can totally see this scenario with my husband and me. I wouldn't be happy, but I would also enjoy my morning coffee without him after being on a road trip together for days on end. "Go see your sheep. Get your photo. I'll meet you back here. Don't be late!!"

Not making light of the situation, but rather identifying with it.

jmo
But cell signal or not I’d make sure he took his phone. I read one place it was left in the room, another place they found it in the car, not sure which. I find it odd he would leave it behind completely. Must have had a reason, maybe I am too suspicious? Jmo

But cell signal or not I’d make sure he took his phone. I read one place it was left in the room, another place they found it in the car, not sure which. I find it odd he would leave it behind completely. Must have had a reason, maybe I am too suspicious? Jmo
I am suspicious too

You are THE FIRST person to mention it....I asked what people thought of THAT video and no one else noticed that (??? @ 1:50 mark), or didn't want to say (like me)...FWIW.

(THAT was why I asked the question way back...)

I'm in the "didn't want to say" camp. I've sat on my hands so much that I'm afraid they may hatch.

From the clipped above message it looks like I said that *I'd* be furious if hubby went on the hike. Just for clarity I didn't say that. Anyway, she was planning to go then changed her mind.

Apparently they went to breakfast and she didn't want to hike afterwards. Maybe stayed behind to pack for the flight IDK

Sorry Frisson to have caused confusion. I clipped your original quote, as the final paragraph, was what I was commenting on ( but felt I should acknowledge that was not your entire post)

Then, when my post was quoted, it gave the impression I was quoting your words.

Apologies all round for my mistake.

I believe this was the first article to mention the flight.
Search scaled back for missing Guelph hiker in California

He left his nearby hotel at around 9 a.m. and parked at the trailhead. The route to the oasis, there and back, is a little more than three kilometres in length. Miller knew he couldn’t be out too long — his flight back home was scheduled to leave that afternoon.

It's unclear what they mean by "afternoon" but I'd lean more to it being an evening/overnight flight (there is a three hour time difference so it's common for West Coast flights to land in Toronto early in the morning).

In this recent interview, they say Paul's wife called their kids to let them know the day after she initiated the search. That also suggests to me the kids weren't expecting them home until Saturday, otherwise she would have called sooner.

(@1:20) Paul Miller's wife, son want search to continue

JMO

This case can still go in a few different directions IMO.
He may be found deceased at any moment so we really dont know yet what happened.

With that said there have been many things that were concerning about this case.

This case has been very strange from the get go. And there are valid reasons why concerns about what happened. Its all so bizarre. Searchers were out very quickly that same day he went missing.

If not for the witness that came on WS and shared that he saw him on the trail I am not sure I would have thought he ever got on the trail.

Even that witness was a little strange because he/she came on for one post and then left. He/she would know there would be followup questions people had so if taking the time to sign up and share then why not stick around for at least a couple followup questions. I hope LE has reinterviewed that witness because he had valuable information about his physical condition at the time he saw him. Saying he looked like he was on a mission. I got the feeling Paul may have already been in heat stroke when he saw him. He didnt stop to talk or anything and that is very unusual for anyone when you are on a desert trail and nobody else on the trail. Even a friendly quick chat would have been normal and from the description he just walked right on by like on a mission.

But so many other things too is just a little odd.

Black clothing? Cmon. The worst color in the world to choose and experienced hikers in heat should know that. Black is much hotter than white or light clothing.

So many other things. Like the quick and talking about life insurance money within the first few weeks if I am not mistaken. It was very quick as all I remember. Dont know exact date when it was created but it was fast and the comments about life insurance were bothersome to say the least because he may have been still found alive somewhere when those comments surfaced.

And from the linked interview if your plane was that same day then shouldnt they have called the kids that same night when she missed the flight?

Surely the kids would have been expecting them home and wondering why they missed the flight home. Some families go to the airport to meet relatives. Even if they had not planned to meet at airport then surely they would be worried about the missed flight. Afterall it was a long trip and so I am sure the kids knew the day they were supposed to finally come back. An afternoon flight would have made them come back by early evening at latest. So why wait till next day to even call the kids. Why let them worry all night when they did not show up on scheduled day to come back on the flight?
And even worse is the news was breaking about a missing hiker. What if the kids saw the breaking news first on TV news.

And another thing slightly odd. At first it was always friends and family spokespersons and not until many days passed did we ever hear from his wife in a media interview. That could be normal although it was strange at the time as everything was passed through other people. It came across strange as we kept hearing from other people second hand and third hand information and the person that knew the story best was not heard from. Sure they would be upset but we are talking many days and it may have been even a couple weeks before wife finally did a media interview. Now we are getting lots of them.

I also am upset the way some of the relatives and family spokespersons have been criticizing the search effort people when she herself left the country after just 5 days after he went missing. She has not been back since and people have offered her a free place to stay if she wants to ever come back to help try to gather more information about her missing husband. Its just not fair to the search people risking their own life to criticize them IMO. They did their best and are continuing to look for him. So since they elected to leave so quickly then no real right to criticize other searchers IMO who are risking life and limb for them.

There was other things too and there was quite a long list of slightly odd things. The phone left in car some thought was odd. To me that would be odd because you never know when you are going to get a signal and its good safety precaution to keep it with you.

From the interview itself I found something that could be an honest slip up or mistake but it came out strange. Does anyone want to try to guess what she was really going to say here.

At 1:08 in the video she says

"He wanted to get some pictures so he went on the t** trail"

Was that a slip up or an honest mistake?
What was she about to say?

Maybe train instead of trail?

Anyway this case is still a huge mystery and can go in a few different directions. I hope he wasnt attacked and abducted when he got back to the car.
I do hope and pray that searchers will find him and be able to give the family closure. If its something else then I hope LE figures it out. It was a strange case from the start.

One place I would look very carefully again is right there near the parking lot. There are many boulders and a small hill right there. Everyone may be searching along the trail but what if he is right there near the parking lot inbetween some boulders.

This other link speaks to the strangeness.

"Land said he’s been working at the park for eight years and never has he seen anyone lost like this. Park staff respond to calls about missing hikers all the time, but sooner or later those hikers are found. This year, the park has already had five successful rescues."

Paul Miller's wife, son want search to continue

Search scaled back for missing Guelph hiker in California

Last edited:
Sorry Frisson to have caused confusion. I clipped your original quote, as the final paragraph, was what I was commenting on ( but felt I should acknowledge that was not your entire post)

Then, when my post was quoted, it gave the impression I was quoting your words.

Apologies all round for my mistake.
No worries no problem I am still getting used to the new format. :)

Do we know for sure where his driver's license was? If he 'didn't have it with him', but had left it on the car, I'd consider that perfectly reasonable, since he wasn't going to need it on the trail. (Some posters said that they wouldn't have done that, for fear of someone breaking into the car. That's a reasonable attitude, too, but I wouldn't worry about tucking my DL into the glove compartment, say.)

About the cell phone--since it'd been a hiking vacation, is it possible that he was completely disillusioned about the chance of getting cell reception on these hikes? (Why bother!) I assume that he was a serious photographer with a 'real' camera?

I guess I'm of the mindset that it's vital to have ID of some kind on you when you do go hiking that way if you go missing and you're injured and laying somewhere, or your skeleton is found x years later and wallet is in your pocket, the decedent can be ID'd easily.

FWIW we've never gone hiking without our ID and cell phones with us and we'd never leave them in the car in case the vehicle did get broken into, and our ID stolen.

Wasn't she originally planning on going with him for that last hike?

Why would she be furious?

With respect, I said I would have been furious if my husband had done this.
Just an observation & not very useful, so apologies again.

( Back to lurking)

OMG Hatfield that's really scary! So glad you were able to react so quickly and prevent the worst.

We have snakes here too and over the years my dogs have killed several non-poisonous ones. We have seen cobras at least twice and I'm always worried my dogs will run into one. Very scary situation!

Thanks. It really was scary. And very expensive for the antivenom. The Emergency Vet clinic wanted my approval before they would give it to him because of the cost. The total bill for that one day treatment and care was over $2,300.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia