Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't find the timing strange at all. When we travel, seeing (or trying to see) wildlife is usually a top priority. Taking a quick trip out like this is something my husband would definitely do, even if we were flying out that day. If it was on their bucket list for JTNP and they weren't able to get to it in the previous days, then I can see why he'd want to try to fit it in before their departure.

Suspicious of what? It was the morning of their last day of vacation. He was expected back around noon. They were on a hiking trip for their anniversary and he wanted to do more hiking before heading home.

Being suspicious of that is not a common female reaction. Not imo or in my experience as a common female. :)

Jmo

BBM

I'm not really sure, to be honest. Maybe it is just the background I was raised, the suspicion aspect. ;)

However I do agree with recent posts that it seems odd to squeeze in a hike although a brief one, to get photos of the bighorn sheep before leaving on the plane. Right now I'm on the fence with this case although I'd like to believe Paul is somewhere, not in JTNP.

I really don't find the timing strange at all. When we travel, seeing (or trying to see) wildlife is usually a top priority. Taking a quick trip out like this is something my husband would definitely do, even if we were flying out that day. If it was on their bucket list for JTNP and they weren't able to get to it in the previous days, then I can see why he'd want to try to fit it in before their departure.
I would do the same thing. I have gotten lost going after foxes and raccoons in our own neighborhood so this sort of thing would be expected. Especially with the added "Omg this might be my LAST CHANCE EVER!"

So if that's what happened I hope he did get to see the sheep before whatever misadventure might have happened next.

I would do the same thing. I have gotten lost going after foxes and raccoons in our own neighborhood so this sort of thing would be expected. Especially with the added "Omg this might be my LAST CHANCE EVER!"

So if that's what happened I hope he did get to see the sheep before whatever misadventure might have happened next.
Oh, Blue, I do the same thing in my neighborhood. My hubby keeps telling me "Dont go in the woods" bc he knows I love seeing the deer and other animals here. (I'm a feeder. Dont hate me) But in a hot place on vacation that is not my 'hood I'd be scared.. especially if I were alone. .... and the heat... I'd never make it.

Family anxious about Guelph, Ont. man missing in California | Watch News Videos Online

Watching his wife talk, it’s very sad, although the part where she wipes a tear away that doesn’t seem to be there seems very insincere. Do you see a tear?

You are THE FIRST person to mention it....I asked what people thought of THAT video and no one else noticed that (??? @ 1:50 mark), or didn't want to say (like me)...FWIW.

(THAT was why I asked the question way back...)

Also, why does the park service or sheriff have to ask for the FBI and the local (was it army base) to help? Why can’t his wife ask for that help? It seems that they feel they are not getting any help, meanwhile so much effort has happened in looking for him.

Just to set the record straight.. incase anyone was wondering... yes, we have sheep here in Canada. Not quite sure what the huge attraction would be for sheep... Polar bear yes, sheep.. not so much. IMO

If I'm not mistaken, there has been a request for assistance made to the Mayor of Guelph, in the search for Paul.

Also, why does the park service or sheriff have to ask for the FBI and the local (was it army base) to help? Why can’t his wife ask for that help? It seems that they feel they are not getting any help, meanwhile so much effort has happened in looking for him.
It would be like a private citizen calling out the National Guard for a neighborhood dispute. A private foreign citizen has no authority to do so. A private American citizen has no authority to do so. Esp. since considerable resources WERE expended, immediately, despite what the family is telling the media.

I don't think it's unusual for the loved ones of missing persons to feel that more could be done especially when they still have no answers. Being objective and rational is difficult to do when you are also desperate and heartbroken.

Family anxious about Guelph, Ont. man missing in California | Watch News Videos Online

Watching his wife talk, it’s very sad, although the part where she wipes a tear away that doesn’t seem to be there seems very insincere. Do you see a tear?

I didn't see a tear, but it was hard to tell. She is very composed. Everyone is different. I'd be so hysterical I probably couldn't be on tv at all, Everyone's different, but she is very composed.

Sad to hear more could have been done

They said a 90 minute hike. I guess that was 45 one way and 45 back. Would that have gotten him to the oasis and the sheep area?

Just to set the record straight.. incase anyone was wondering... yes, we have sheep here in Canada. Not quite sure what the huge attraction would be for sheep... Polar bear yes, sheep.. not so much. IMO
Thank you for saying this bc I was puzzled by the urgent need for sheep photos so much so to be in the heat alone. Also, I read that there were warning signs posted at the trail about the heat. Not blaming him. I'm just confused.

Did someone here say that they were at Joshua for three days?

That's certainly a possibility! How long does it take to become incapacitated from a snake bite? Would he have been able to get back on the trail?

JMO
Depending on the type of poisonous snake and depending on how much venom the snake was able to inject does make a difference.

My dog was bit by a copperhead and within 10 minutes his foot started to swell really bad. Within 30-45 minutes we were at the Vet hospital and glad we rushed there because he didnt look too good. He was breathing heavy and was in distress.

Two doses of Anti-Venom and an overnight stay and he was much better by morning.

He ended up doing fine.

How it happened.
I was walking him on a long leash and I didnt notice that he had walked right up to a coiled up copperhead. I looked around in time to see the strike and jerked him backwards right off his feet in mid air and the snake was dangling from his leg while both went flying backwards. The snake let loose of him while in the air. Because of how quick I was able to react I think the snake did not get too much venom in him but he defintely got a dose.
It was very scary situation.

Why rush back out.... alone.. at age 51 (not old, but not young) in the heat.. at the last minute... for a sheep photo (?) Sincere question.

If he was a photographer, even a hobbyist, and he really was hoping to see those sheep on the trip, he'd go back out. I know I would want to have one more chance for the photos.

Something is still missing for me on this. If he had a fall/injury surely they would have found him on or near the trail?

His wife was initially supposed to go with him and changed her mind at the last minute, so I dont see a suicide plan or going missing on purpose. Doesn't that take a little planning? And he hadnt planned on being alone.

I may be totally wrong.

Something is still missing for me on this. If he had a fall/injury surely they would have found him on or near the trail?

His wife was initially supposed to go with him and changed her mind at the last minute, so I dont see a suicide plan or going missing on purpose. Doesn't that take a little planning? And he hadnt planned on being alone.

I may be totally wrong.
I agree with you, not totally wrong at all, imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members