Found Deceased CA - Sandy Giles, 44, Earp, 13 May 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am visual learner. I'm not good with maps either. I can't even fold a paper map.

Doodles1211 seems to be good at maps!

ETA Your map is fine. Lots of sand.
I don't know of many people who can refold a paper map. [emoji6]

Is it odd that she wasn't carrying a credit card of some type? It's hard to imagine taking only cash on a trip like this. Or that she'd leave CA with little money in her pocket.

It makes me sad to think she was going to have her son wire her some money. To be stuck in an unfamiliar place with no money
would be a terrifying situation.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I don't know of many people who can refold a paper map. [emoji6]

Is it odd that she wasn't carrying a credit card of some type? It's hard to imagine taking only cash on a trip like this. Or that she'd leave CA with little money in her pocket.

It makes me sad to think she was going to have her son wire her some money. To be stuck in an unfamiliar place with no money
would be a terrifying situation.

I can't imagine. I wondered if she walked away or if she left with someone.
I am sure her thinking was impaired due to the stress of the situation.

Ok, I'm trying the map thing again. From Marysville Ca to Essex, .CA was approx. 596 mi or 8 hours and 30 minutes.

If she called her son on May 13 from Essex, CA while fueling her car, it must have been late morn as she left Marysville, .CA in the middle of the night.

After leaving Essex, she headed S. On 95 to Earp which is approx. a 2 hour drive or 83 miles.

Looking at the bigger map, she may have been headed to Interstate 10 through Parker.

If she fueled in Essex (And we don't know how much gas she put in) she only got approx 86 miles. So she may have run out of gas or for some reason, she pulled off the side of the road where at that time she may have gotten stuck. If she drove continuously from Marysville, it would have been mid to late afternoon when she arrived at the sandbar.

Shared route
From Marysville to Earp via CA-43 S.

To see this route visit https://goo.gl/maps/cvQranj7Z422

How frightened she must be if she's still alive. She doesn't even have her cell phone with her.

I know the whole idea is controversial but so often I wish we could put microchips in people, in the way we do for our pets. Perhaps the technology could then be developed that would allow anyone to be 'found' with the similar app like 'find my phone.'

My heart was wrenched reading the words of her children on the Facebook update. My thoughts and prayers are for safety and strength for Sandy and her family...
I agree with the microchip thing. But it would have to be voluntary.
Or parents can have it placed some-where in their child's body at birth and then be deactivated at the age of 18.

Rules should state that you'll only get 2 opportunities to locate a juvenile with a chip. This would keep parents from always calling in to find their children when they are 10 minutes late. However, when police discover a runaway, they can use that technology to find the parents.

For an adult: strictly voluntary. Again, only to be used in situations like above.

The chip would need to be planted in different places on a person's body so kidnappers wouldn' t know where to dig it out.

Sorry, my brain likes mapping things out to the end.

I can't imagine. I wondered if she walked away or if she left with someone.
I am sure her thinking was impaired due to the stress of the situation.
When I told my friend this scenario about her carrying only cash, her response was that maybe she didn't want her purchases to show her location or she didn't want anyone knowing what she had purchased.
Makes sense to me.

Is she married or divorced? It seems we've only heard from the son and
daughter.

When I told my friend this scenario about her carrying only cash, her response was that maybe she didn't want her purchases to show her location or she didn't want anyone knowing what she had purchased.
Makes sense to me.

Is she married or divorced? It seems we've only heard from the son and
daughter.

or she didn't want to risk losing her credit card somewhere along the way, or having it stolen. Although if the cash is lost or stolen you're screwed.

2 different thoughts...I recall from the beginning it seemed Sandy was behind on her intended Iternary. I could have also read wrong.
I would think that Sandy would have wanted to leave the area and get a meal and a shower and sleep that wasn't in the car...whether at a hotel or an offer from someone? Someone who may have hurt Sandy. :(

or she didn't want to risk losing her credit card somewhere along the way, or having it stolen. Although if the cash is lost or stolen you're screwed.
Or as in this case, run out
of money.😓

I agree with the microchip thing. But it would have to be voluntary.
Or parents can have it placed some-where in their child's body at birth and then be deactivated at the age of 18.

Rules should state that you'll only get 2 opportunities to locate a juvenile with a chip. This would keep parents from always calling in to find their children when they are 10 minutes late. However, when police discover a runaway, they can use that technology to find the parents.

For an adult: strictly voluntary. Again, only to be used in situations like above.

The chip would need to be planted in different places on a person's body so kidnappers wouldn' t know where to dig it out.

Sorry, my brain likes mapping things out to the end.

You're absolutely correct, and I do agree with you! I realize my comment was ill-advised in this context as I had not thought it out the way I should have.

In fact, if microchipping ever does become a reality, I'm sure I'll be among the first who will be analyzing all the violations of personal rights and privacy. I hate Big Brother too.

Humble thanks for your comments and thoughts! They are excellent and well thought out. They would be a great start in any kind of discussion about the potential microchip debate.

Don't mean to sound as if I'm making excuses; I do apologize as my comment was careless, to say the least. What I said though was more from frustration than anything logical. It just makes me so sad for Sandy to know that without her cell phone she must feel so helplessly trapped.

So my 'heart' jumped in and supplied the microchip 'rescue,' not my brain. I hope that makes some sort of sense...

Anyway, it's so gratifying to see other people here who are deeply concerned for her too. I'll continue to check here daily and hope for some good news soon...

You're absolutely correct, and I do agree with you! I realize my comment was ill-advised in this context as I had not thought it out the way I should have.

In fact, if microchipping ever does become a reality, I'm sure I'll be among the first who will be analyzing all the violations of personal rights and privacy. I hate Big Brother too.

Humble thanks for your comments and thoughts! They are excellent and well thought out. They would be a great start in any kind of discussion about the potential microchip debate.

Don't mean to sound as if I'm making excuses; I do apologize as my comment was careless, to say the least. What I said though was more from frustration than anything logical. It just makes me so sad for Sandy to know that without her cell phone she must feel so helplessly trapped.

So my 'heart' jumped in and supplied the microchip 'rescue,' not my brain. I hope that makes some sort of sense...

Anyway, it's so gratifying to see other people here who are deeply concerned for her too. I'll continue to check here daily and hope for some good news soon...
I did not think your comment re microchips was at all careless! I'm glad you mentioned it as it makes great sense to me!

I did not think your comment re microchips was at all careless! I'm glad you mentioned it as it makes great sense to me!

Thanks so much! You are very kind, but I still regret the manner in which I threw that comment into the conversation.

Off topic a bit, but the reason the whole microchip thing is on my mind in the first place is because as an RN, I have cared for many types of patients over the years, including dementia patients and their families. For the ones who can still be cared for at home, one of the main concern of their families is safety. That microchip wish has often been voiced by their families.

That's where the whole concept started with me. Many of these patients are still active and mobile, yet unable to grasp any of the dangers if they somehow manage to get out the door alone. A microchip could save their lives.

So perhaps someday technology will make this an option. As with so many other privacy issues, it could create much division and difficulty finding common ground. As I said, your comments would be a great start!

Sorry for the digression. Thanks again, and let's hope Sandy is found soon, safe and sound. How do families even function with a loved one missing?

2 different thoughts...I recall from the beginning it seemed Sandy was behind on her intended Iternary. I could have also read wrong.
I would think that Sandy would have wanted to leave the area and get a meal and a shower and sleep that wasn't in the car...whether at a hotel or an offer from someone? Someone who may have hurt Sandy. :(
But didn't she leave a hotel in the middle of the night? Perhaps she showered there and with the small amount of money she had, stopped at a McDonald's drive thru. She seemed anxious to get home. I would think hanging with your friend and her laid up brother would be a total drag and not at all what she had envisioned.

And maybe she and her friend had originally planned to cross the border for fun on their way back to Alabama.

The money situation still bothers me, however. But if the friend was chipping in half (or more) of the cost, she probably would have been ok.

She also had to have stopped to gas up well before Essex, CA, unless the car was a hybrid. I need to look her car up to see mileage capabilities.

But didn't she leave a hotel in the middle of the night? Perhaps she showered there and with the small amount of money she had, stopped at a McDonald's drive thru. She seemed anxious to get home. I would think hanging with your friend and her laid up brother would be a total drag and not at all what she had envisioned.

And maybe she and her friend had originally planned to cross the border for fun on their way back to Alabama.

The money situation still bothers me, however. But if the friend was chipping in half (or more) of the cost, she probably would have been ok.

She also had to have stopped to gas up well before Essex, CA, unless the car was a hybrid. I need to look her car up to see mileage capabilities.

After doing a little research about the car, there are essentially 2 engines: an optional 283 hp V6 and the standard base engine 4 cylinder at 173 hp.

Both engines use regular gas. The
Tank capacity is 16.9 gallons.

Both get approx same gas milage
19-21 mpg in city and 29-31 mpg on highway.

Average price of regular gas in the area of Essex, CA is $3.04 to $2.55

So 17 gallons at an average of 25 mpg gives you 425 mpg per tank.

A full tank at an average of $3 will cost 17x3= $51

She had to have stopped before Essex to fill the tank, even if she left Marysville, CA with a full tank.

If her friend was paying for gas, she probably had no clue how much it cost which is why she may have been caught unaware.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2013-dodge-avenger-new-car-review-201266

After doing a little research about the car, there are essentially 2 engines: an optional 283 hp V6 and the standard base engine 4 cylinder at 173 hp.

Both engines use regular gas. The
Tank capacity is 16.9 gallons.

Both get approx same gas milage
19-21 mpg in city and 29-31 mpg on highway.

Average price of regular gas in the area of Essex, CA is $3.04 to $2.55

So 17 gallons at an average of 25 mpg gives you 425 mpg per tank.

A full tank at an average of $3 will cost 17x3= $51

She had to have stopped before Essex to fill the tank, even if she left Marysville, CA with a full tank.

If her friend was paying for gas, she probably had no clue how much it cost which is why she may have been caught unaware.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2013-dodge-avenger-new-car-review-201266

But it was her car, she should know from filling up prior to trip how much it usually costs to fill it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razz, I am sure you are caught up more on the details. I am sadly lacking from following too many cases. I was just trying to think what I would want to do/do.
Thanks for the info.

Has LE (or family) stated how much gas was in the car? Might help us backtrack to where she last bought gas & check cameras to see if anyone is with her?

(Although I am afraid any video is long gone.)

Isolated, isolated area.

Has LE (or family) stated how much gas was in the car? Might help us backtrack to where she last bought gas & check cameras to see if anyone is with her?

(Although I am afraid any video is long gone.)

Isolated, isolated area.
This is a good article and it may explain why I did all the figures re car, gas and mileage from Marysville to Essex and then on to Earp.

It also says the family did not have her car keys so they couldn't turn the car on to see if the tank was empty.

http://www.parkerliveonline.com/2017/05/26/sandy-giles/

But it was her car, she should know from filling up prior to trip how much it usually costs to fill it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, different regions, different
gas prices. Where I live, I buy premium and pay the same as someone living in CA buying regular.

It sounds like she left in a hurry and may not have thought out her
return trip.

I thought you needed your passport to return to the U.S., but today I was talking to someone who told me she uses her birth certificate and state ID to go back and forth to Mexico. She does this down by Nogales.

Technically the law passed a few years ago says you now do need a passport; but enforcement of that law has been delayed many times so people are allowed to go to Mexico and return without a passport with proof of U.S. citizenship and valid ID. That can change with little notice since it is basically a policy so it is wise to call ahead to verify you will be able to return without a passport.

This is a very odd story. If she was short on money I wonder why she didn't stop in a town with a Walmart before she got as far as she did. Walmart money grams are nearly instantaneous, I know I would have solved the money issue before really getting on the road but maybe that is just me. That is what I would have done, but perhaps she didn't realize there would not be a Walmart in say Needles or Parker. Looks like she was about an hour away from a Walmart in Lake Havasu or Bullhead City and both were out of her way so to stay on track she was farther from a Walmart than that. If she was running short on money she may not have filled up at her last stop, she may have just put in as much as she could afford.

If she ran out of gas and pulled way off the road to get out of traffic that would explain her being stuck in the sand. She couldn't have been far from Parker- as I remember (I have not been through there in years) it seems like it would be an easy walk from where her car was found. I also don't understand why LE didn't come by on regular patrol and look for her when spotting her car.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back