Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not posting anymore on this. Sherri is home now with the people who clearly love her very much. In my opinion there is something tragic going on here and I feel like a voyeur now. I think and hope the sheriff is a compassionate man.

Granted, this is a good point. I will still say that I find it odd he didn't simply confirm what Keith said now that the cat is out of the bag. All it is doing is fanning the flames and even the media are clearly pushing LE for more info/clarification.

he did confirm earlier today saying that the injuries are in line with what he saw. I don't think he's playing games. I think he's trying to keep a level head and his emotions in check to focus on the investigation as unbiased as possible. His Demeanor hasn't changed since the beginning. ETA: With such a high profile case, I would be poker faced too and not reveal anything that could compromise the investigation.

I agree, chopping her hair would've been an attempt to shame her (along with the branding). After having so much taken from her in the last 3 weeks, I can't see SP allowing her hair to be cut in the hospital. JMO

As another nurse has mentioned on the last thread, I have never seen a patient in the ER have their hair cut either. Perhaps shave an area for sutures, but not cut it. And, I have seen some matted, dirty, knotty hair in my days in the ER. It just isn't something I've seen done by ER staff. The way the word 'chopped' was used by the husband, leads me to believe it was done by her captors as another way to emotionally torture and shame her.

I've said this on many other cases (Dylan redwine, deorr kunz, Isabel celis, et cetera et cetera) - let's not forget the human factor here. LE is not above realistic expectation of emotion. LEO's do not want to be wrong, as none of us do. IMO his "vague-ness" does come from 30 years of experience. this is not an episode of SVU where benson and stabler barge into a hospital room and demand answers. as far as we know, KP blocked his wife in and told bosenko that his wife was head-cropped, beaten, bruised and branded. which may very well be the case, but we have no idea of accuracy other than his statement. which could also be the reason bosenko is so evasive in his answers. "i was aware of the details" could simply mean he listened to what KP told him, not necessarily what he or other officers saw, first-hand...I don't WANT to be the naysayer/skeptic here but...I am. very happy the two little ones still have a mommy but other than that, until the truth comes out (for which i'm not optimistic) questions unanswered are bothersome and subject to sleuthing. IMO.
Ditto!!!

I've said this on many other cases (Dylan redwine, deorr kunz, Isabel celis, et cetera et cetera) - let's not forget the human factor here. LE is not above realistic expectation of emotion. LEO's do not want to be wrong, as none of us do. IMO his "vague-ness" does come from 30 years of experience. this is not an episode of SVU where benson and stabler barge into a hospital room and demand answers. as far as we know, KP blocked his wife in and told bosenko that his wife was head-cropped, beaten, bruised and branded. which may very well be the case, but we have no idea of accuracy other than his statement. which could also be the reason bosenko is so evasive in his answers. "i was aware of the details" could simply mean he listened to what KP told him, not necessarily what he or other officers saw, first-hand...I don't WANT to be the naysayer/skeptic here but...I am. very happy the two little ones still have a mommy but other than that, until the truth comes out (for which i'm not optimistic) questions unanswered are bothersome and subject to sleuthing. IMO.

The CHP told dispatch that Sherri was "heavily battered". The sheriff affirmed that she had been injured and later affirmed Keith's account, on GMA.

There is zero reason to believe that Sherri was not terribly injured and covered with bruises, burns, etc. I am 100% positive she was.

(hugs) You are amazing.

I can add to this too. I have had Crohns over 30 yrs, diagnosed aged 12. I'm 45 now. I went through a period of having a minor surgery every month. It was over 3 yrs or so, I had a general (anesthesia) every time but still it was a day thing, released same day. And that was 20 yrs ago! I've also been very very sick but not needed to be hospitalised. Even had major surgery and been released within 7 days. SP was incredibly fit imo, which will have been a big plus, and may even have kept her alive. Yep, our bodies can be a curse at times but we can be extremely resilient too!
Ugh. Hugs right back. Chrons is a nightmare. You're a fighter!

ABC Nightly news just reported she was branded with a message to her and others. Not branded with a symbol

Does anyone know if the FBI or state LE is still involved? I would hope so, especially since there is a possibility of sex trafficking. It seems like there would need to be a broader scope to the investigation than just county level.

Also, it seems odd to me that she would be released to go home. Would a safe house or out of area hospital be a better possibility. I know if it were me, concerns over safety for self and family would be a huge issue. And why the long interview process? I know that the victim needs time to heal, but it would also seem that letting too much time pass might make finding people who could be leaving the area hard as days go by.

And, I believe the family released information to possibly turn up the heat on LE and keep the story in the news. Public outrage is a motivator for the politics of LE.

Finally, my heart goes out to Sherri and her family. Praying for healing.

The not confirming the veracity of the statements was written by the reporter, not a direct quote from the Sheriff. It seems like the writer took the liberty to say the Sheriff didn't verify the veracity because he said he stands by his original report and doesn't confirm (nor deny) KPs description. I think it's a non factor and that he's just trying to keep the same poker face.

I posted the same thought earlier. I agree LE is not giving much info. KP provided more info. It's the reporting, IMO, that is muddying the water.

The I'm sticking with my previous statement may simply be the sheriff's way of he's not elaborating.

ABC Nightly news just reported she was branded with a message to her and others. Not branded with a symbol

Sheriff stated "message"

Sheriff stated "message"

So I'm assuming for a minute that maybe this is what the sheriff did not want released yet. Maybe chose to go ahead with it since part of it had gotten out anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having finally caught up...my heart goes out to Sherri for the horrendous ordeal she has been through. She was literally tortured. Imagine being in this house of horrors for three weeks, terrified about what would be done to you next, or if the next thing was being killed and never seeing your husband, children and family again. Imagine the intense mental anguish and torment along with the physical.

Imagine what her husband has been through all this time. Not knowing if he'd see Sherri alive again. Hearing the cruel speculations. Doing whatever he could to rescue her. Joy that she's alive! I know my husband would fall apart seeing me with injuries like that...imagine the grief, pity, sorrow for Sherri and the rage at those who put his wife through this. Knowing that she will never be the same woman she was before she was abducted. Fear of the future. Is she still in danger? What about their children?

A wise man once defined empathy as "feeling your pain in my heart." May our sleuthing, suspicions and understandable desire for answers never callous our hearts so that we cannot feel the pain of victims and even LE. Let us keep our hearts soft and open to those who are in pain, offering comfort, not criticism, while we wait for information. We each have a choice. This is mine. :heartbeat:
JMO

The not confirming the veracity of the statements was written by the reporter, not a direct quote from the Sheriff. It seems like the writer took the liberty to say the Sheriff didn't verify the veracity because he said he stands by his original report and doesn't confirm (nor deny) KPs description. I think it's a non factor and that he's just trying to keep the same poker face.

This. So much. Thank you.

Seems to me the reporter is trying to fan the flames just a tid bit.
Gotta keep those readers interested and make sure we have some controversy.

I do not think the Sheriff is purposely putting doubts in people's mind, rather he is being vague. IMO, I think the local LE are working their butts off with a load of info that still needs to be sorted out.

I agree with this.

IMO, the Sheriff can only be blamed for so much (public speaking ability, as an example). There's still a lot of assumptions being made, some of which has been restated as fact, and it's just adding to the confusion. Again, MOO. :moo:

:( This is a pretty sexist generalization.

Respectfully, I am a female, and agree that chopping off a very attractive woman's long, blond, hair, is likely the action of another female.

IMHO

Bringing my questions over from the previous thread as I posted just before it closed.

These are my questions: Did KP *tell* LE that those were SP's injuries? When they say that they were aware of her injuries, does this mean they are merely going by KP's statement to them? Would the hospital doctors who assessed and treated SP release their observations of said injuries to LE? Do privacy laws mean that this information cannot be released without SP's permission? I want to better understand whether LE has seen said injuries, been given details from medical staff who treated her or are relying solely on KP's description of them. TIA to anyone who can clearly answer these questions and who has the legal and/or medical standing to do so. MOO.

Different CA jurisdiction, but still CA and knowing it's true in every jurisdiction/agency I've had involvement with (and still listening to calls for many, many dozens of hours a week...)

I have a feeling the number of times an hour I hear some form of a request or order (or just advisement that someone had done so) for a unit to 'bring their camera / be sure to have a camera / send someone who does have a camera' to an incident and/or to the hospital would shock you...

And in many cases some are even done in cases when LE are traveling in the back of the box w/ the patient/victim if they're transported from the scene that way (often in those where the patient is either in potentially fragile condition and/or a possible crime victim).

That's true in nearly all manner of incident - traffic collisions, assaults/batteries/robberies/whatever, to of course the more severe ones (carjackings, kidnappings, sexual assaults, attempted homicides, etc.)

In fact, it borders on RARE to hear a call that doesn't involve photographs being taken the victim for documentation / follow-up, even if it's something that it's not clear will even definitively result in any sort of charges being filed or pursued - and that's with me not even being privy to what all is done after things are no longer being aired and/or all communication about an incident goes to in person on scene at the hospital, etc.

And this is certainly not a case where that'd be a questionable outcome (possible charges - of some sort - against someone)

IMO there's no way that at least one LE agency and/or medical staff didn't take photos of SP.

Similarly, if it was done by medical staff at the hospital, IMO there's no way that at least some in LE who needed wouldn't to have seen them wouldn't have had access to them from the get go.

Who may have already viewed them and/or if they've viewed all of them may be another thing, but especially knowing how things are handled in the southern half of the state, I'd be flabbergasted if that wasn't done almost immediately once they determined/felt like she was medically stable enough for that to be done at the hospital.

wouldn't seeing the design of this so-called "brand" perhaps provide a clue as to the ostensible "abductors'" affiliation with larger groups/gangs/etc?

Take a quick cell phone pic of the brand and post it/ share it. heck, a crude hand-drawing would be helpful at this point.
]
JMO - I suspect it did provide a clue - to LE. Just as much as I suspect they had good reason to never mention it.
They said early on they believed she was out of the area, filed search warrants before she was found, have been beyond vague. Leads me to believe they've got a good line on something. Something they don't want the public poking their noses into. If they know more, they might not want the perp/s to be aware of that especially in any detail.

Released in the dark of early morning, on Thanksgiving Day, off the highway, near a church, battered, branded, hair chopped off, chained, but ALIVE - to me that is very deliberate. Why? Why let her go free, able to talk, after 3 wks? Is it sending a message (to whom for what purpose) or cooperating with an agreement (if one believes the ransom was paid)? Or?
This is where my brain is stuck for now, still & forever 729 pages behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member