Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Insurance companies can also deny payment if you sign out AMA. I hear you about what KP is saying and I'm sure he knows that.

Oh, wow, I didn't know that insurance tidbit. But it makes sense. See, you learn something every day!

I think Sheriff Bosenko categorizing SP's injuries as being comparable to a sprained ankle lit the fuse. But most likely it has much to do with the rampant speculation and false accusations the family has been receiving by internet detectives armed with Google and the Wayback Machine.

I agree with you Redcliff. The speculation against the family, which are victims has been harsh. After reading through twelve threads and learning the information we've been given, I have to scroll past the victim bashing and sit on my hands to behave. I can't imagine how the family or close friends feel about it. Nobody knows how they'd handle a situation like this unless they walked in their shoes. It's easy for some to point the finger because they probably haven't experienced it. This poor family has been through enough. What they need is support from the community. If LE calls one of them a POI, or a suspect then that changes things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psychopaths can easily pass them. (not saying KP is one)

Can anyone elaborate on lie detector tests these days? Are they 100%?

I understand Keith passed one, and I don't personally believe he had anything to do with her abduction. BUT! Could he have passed a lie detector test re: SP's abduction, if he knew the family was contacted with a ransom request? Or perhaps did the ransom request come AFTER he passed the lie detector test? I know it was within a day or two of her disappearance that he took it. At what point did the ransom negotiator come in? How many days had SP been missing?

Curious about the timing of all this.

The first four options basically don't make sense to me based on the length of time she was held. She's too old and middle class for gang stuff, hate crimes tend to be more "in the moment"-- I don't see holding her for weeks in that scenario. Same with kidnap for assault or torture. Vindictive acquaintance seems to me like that would be a more emotion, less thought out plan. Vindictive is an emotional response.

I just keep chuckling at human trafficking. I live in a city where trafficking victims are rescued almost weekly. They are never missing middle aged housewives. They are troubled street people who nobody misses if they disappear. And they aren't chained and beaten, the bondage is mostly emotional and drug related (keep them hooked and scared).
None of the above

❤

❤

Since LE is unhappy with info that Keith has let slip out I am wondering why they are not keeping in close touch with him, and explaining what needs to be said and what is not to be revealed. It has been my experience with LE that they sometimes need a person to mediate for them with the victims. I'm sure not all are this way. Ex: I found my brother dead of an overdose, called the 911, police, first responders and the coroner's death inspector came. Any questions I asked was answered "sorry mam, we can't divulge that information at this time." They wouldn't even confirm he was dead. It became quite frustrating to say the least. I also was searching for a lost relative who we assumed had died and was never identified. We needed to get DNA done to submit to NAMUS to see if it matched any Jane Doe's. When I went to the police dept. to file the missing person's report the officer I spoke to didn't even know what NAMUS was. I should think that they would be aware of a nationwide organization.........I don't wish to disrespect our officers but I do believe not all are aware of how to deal with victims and they may need a go-between in order to keep their lines of communication flowing.

I get the feeling KP is frustrated with LE, and that's why he wrote that long statement and decided to do the 20/20 interview. Now that we know this was a bona fide kidnapping, I see both SP and KP in a different light. He seems to have so much love and respect for his wife that he is boldly doing what he feels is the right thing to do: sticking up for her and telling the world what a beautiful and brave person she is. I don't see the 20/20 interview as strange in any way, in fact it bolsters his sincerity in my eyes. Innocent people have nothing to hide. He isn't telling us everything though. He knows whether or not his wife has been raped.

Now that I've gotten on my soapbox, KP, please don't prove me wrong! Like I posted earlier, nothing would surprise me at this point....

To be fair, hospital staff my have hydrated her with IV fluids and possibly added electrolytes to the IV fluid if indicated. They also most likely treated and cultured any wounds that SP had. She was also likely fed when they felt she was stable so unless she has an underlying condition that affects her blood sugar, her glucose level should have been normal. It can take up to 3 days to get results back from standard cultures. She will be notified if antibiotics are needed. It's also possible they sent her home on antibiotics for her injuries.

If it were me, I would want nothing more than to go home.

Iv fluids take time to infuse and all the electrolytes can't be added at once. The initial assessment by the physician would have taken time, getting the lab to draw the blood work would have taken time, getting the lab results back would have probably taken the most time. X-rays would have taken time. If she was thrown out of the car, I'm sure they did a scan for internal injuries. Reading the results of the x-rays and scans takes time. I'm amazed all that could be done in a matter of hours. I'm inclined to think she was in fact, transferred to another facility despite the claim she was treated and released the same day.

SO initially I found this strange and then three weeks later Sherri is returned and thank goodness alive but obviously has some ways to recovery.... BUT the husband's interview had me thinking WOAH. While I am sure people react to tragedy differently, I found his comments VERY odd.

"“She has been branded and I could feel the rise of her scabs under my fingers.”

“I thought about her being there screaming my name,” he said.

http://people.com/crime/keith-papin...in-chilling-detail-in-first-on-air-interview/

Whaat?

Iv fluids take time to infuse and all the electrolytes can't be added at once. The initial assessment by the physician would have taken time, getting the lab to draw the blood work would have taken time, getting the lab results back would have probably taken the most time. X-rays would have taken time. If she was thrown out of the car, I'm sure they did a scan for internal injuries. Reading the results of the x-rays and scans takes time. I'm amazed all that could be done in a matter of hours. I'm inclined to think she was in fact, transferred to another facility despite the claim she was treated and released the same day.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sherri found at 4:30? I doubt it took long to get her to Sacramento. She was released, IIRC, at 2:00 p.m. So, that's about nine hours of medical treatment.

SO initially I found this strange and then three weeks later Sherri is returned and thank goodness alive but obviously has some ways to recovery.... BUT the husband's interview had me thinking WOAH. While I am sure people react to tragedy differently, I found his comments VERY odd.

"“She has been branded and I could feel the rise of her scabs under my fingers.”

http://people.com/crime/keith-papin...in-chilling-detail-in-first-on-air-interview/

Whaat?

I know. If I wasn't reading about a kidnap victim I would think I was reading a poorly written S&M novel.

Sorry, but this site is called Internet (Web) Detectives (Sleuths)! I'm a bit puzzled by your post.....

WS is but one "sleuthing" type site on the Internet. There are many sites in which people follow true crime cases. "Internet Detectives" is a term that's used to refer to this type of case follower in a broad sense (i.e. people who sit in front of computers or smart devices, connected to the Internet, reading about, following, and/or speculating about criminal cases). The sites themselves range from dedicated forums (public or private), Facebook Groups (public or private), or other social media destinations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sherri found at 4:30? I doubt it took long to get her to Sacramento. She was released, IIRC, at 2:00 p.m. So, that's about nine hours of medical treatment.
Yes, and she was very near uc Davis medical center. Without major injuries the timing didn't seem odd to me. But I'm not a medical pro.

❤

psychopaths can easily pass them. (not saying KP is one)

Those applying for LE have to take a polygraph and I've read in some of the police sites, there is a way to pysch yourself out for one and pass with flying colors, even though one of the questions is about drug use and the applicant has used them in the past.

Whaat?

Why is that so odd?

I don't know how many of you are women on this board, but don't you admire a man who stands up for his wife?

I meant the opposite of what you thought I meant. I meant that if people were saying ugly things about you and I knew you, and knew they were not true, I would want to correct the record as KP has done for SP.

Sorry not to be clearer.

ETA: missgulfsouth

Gotcha. But that is different than cleaning up / washing / erasing one's social media of unflattering pins, posts, etc. so that things "appear" to be a certain way.

Also, the wedding blog mentioned that KP presented SP with a box of letters that she had written to him in eighth grade. I get the sense that he's sentimental, in touch with his emotions, and knows how to string a sentence together. (As an editor/writer, I'll agree that it's not stellar writing, but it is fairly well done.)

I completely agree! I am also a writer. (Don't judge my grammar. I didn't say I was an editor). And KP's writings remind me of someone who would fill a birthday card with sweet, poetic words. My husband is like that. I am not, and I'm the writer in the family. Seems like he's a sensitive, tender hearted man.

I get the feeling KP is frustrated with LE, and that's why he wrote that long statement and decided to do the 20/20 interview. Now that we know this was a bona fide kidnapping, I see both SP and KP in a different light. He seems to have so much love and respect for his wife that he is boldly doing what he feels is the right thing to do: sticking up for her and telling the world what a beautiful and brave person she is. I don't see the 20/20 interview as strange in any way, in fact it bolsters his sincerity in my eyes. Innocent people have nothing to hide. He isn't telling us everything though. He knows whether or not his wife has been raped.

Now that I've gotten on my soapbox, KP, please don't prove me wrong! Like I posted earlier, nothing would surprise me at this point....

I find that analysis believable. I think we all imagine how we might come across after such a monstrously awful ordeal. I know I'd be almost paralysed with rage... and I'm not sure I would be able to keep it hidden in interviews etc..

It's great that the account exists. I assume a branding can be eradicated with plastic surgery or skin grafts. If so, it won't be cheap either way.

Everyone is different, we know that. People grieve differently and behave in odd ways when they're going through something traumatic, we're all aware of that too. With that said, 10 years ago my ex was shot and killed. It took 5 years to do a news interview and this is the first time I've brought it up on Websleuths because I don't want to recall those memories. KP is putting this incident on blast and that befuddles me. With the tragedy I went through the news was everywhere, it was a big deal, and I avoided them like the plague. I just wanted to grieve privately as did everyone else involved. Very few interviews were given by friends and family. Granted, his murderer had already been caught, but regardless, I wouldn't have been all over the place giving gory details and making LE have to work harder when they're already working hard enough with this case. If you want to talk about it and bring awareness, then do so after the people have been caught and your wife has had time to heal privately. MOO

I'm so sorry for what you went through.

Maybe it's easier for KP to talk about it because he's relieved to have her back. But I do personally find it odd how open he is, so soon, with the media. I've always felt that people who run to media outlets with the stories are trying too hard to seem "innocent". I would think they'd want to keep details to a minimum and just deal with LE to ensure that nothing else is compromised in the investigation and that they don't become a bigger target with the person who did these things. But like you said, everyone deals with things differently.

I've personally never felt like the husband was in on anything but it really feels like there is a much bigger picture to what happened and that a lot more is known than is being told so far.

So we have a broken nose, spitting up blood, burns, a rash, extensive bruising in various stages of resolution, and a weight loss of 13-18 lbs. She's checked out at the hospital and not admitted so apparently when they did her lab work, everything must have checked out sufficiently and she did not require IV fluids to hydrate her, no need for any electrolytes, no need for any glucose, no need to culture and/or treat the rash or wounds. All the lab work up (and probably x-rays) showed she was good to go. That's just dog gone amazing considering all that trauma and the drastic weight loss.

They don't keep you in for bruises and a broken nose and a bad hair cut. As for the weight-loss, women can lose that much weight on extreme fad diets in 3 weeks and not require hospitalisation. I would imagine they had to do x-rays and brain scans on her to rule out unseen damage from the beatings, but even if she had concussion they would send her home...

We don't know the severity of the branding yet. Will she require skin grafts, or is it something that will eventually heal by itself without leaving a permanent scar? We don't know.

yes. I have passed one myself while not being completely honest. (im not a psychopath though) psychopaths pass them because they are not nervous when they lie.

Those applying for LE have to take a polygraph and I've read in some of the police sites, there is a way to pysch yourself out for one and pass with flying colors, even though one of the questions is about drug use and the applicant has used them in the past.

I completely understand. But if my loved one was tortured for 22 days and was in the state the husband claims she's in, I would insist that they stay in the hospital at least overnight and I would stay with them. 87 lb. women with burns and bruises and branding. Honestly, I would be like the mom in Terms of Endearment freaking out that she be given a sedative.

That's not the way it works. It's the hospital staff that determines when a patient is medically ready for discharge. Not the spouse. It's not like a hotel where you decide when to check out.

As many others have pointed out in these threads, it standard procedure to discharge patients immediately for those type of injuries. In other countries it is different, but that's the way it works in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist