Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a dispute with anyone. I'm saying it's odd they didn't keep her for psychological counseling after this 22 day ordeal. I would suppose people who have been traumatized like this could easily jump out of a window if you're not careful, and hence you'd want to keep them under observation for at least a day or so, have them talk to experts, etc., etc.

OK. I guess I wasn't sure what your point was. ;) I thought you were questioning the hospital's decision to release Sherri.

The message I would get from it: "Hey Keith, here is my phone. I didn't just drop it, as you can see by the coiled earbuds placed neatly on top. Oh and here is some of my hair, just to let you know it was ME that left this here. I know you're smart enough to figure out from this that someone or something made me disappear, and I want you to find me."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't need strands of my wife's hair in her earbuds to know something is wrong if she is nowhere to be found and yet her phone is by a road. So what other information can strands of hair provide? Makes no sense. Anyone? How is this some kind of signal?

My understanding, from KP's description, is that he arrived home, noticed it was quiet and no one was around. KP opened the FindMe app on his cellphone to locate the geographical location of his wife's phone. The app led KP to the mailbox area and after looking around a bit, he managed to discover it.

So the app must not require cellular tower coverage or wifi in order to function or KP would have just called SPs phone from their home instead of opening the app.

The iPhone is critical evidence. KP had to know this so he snapped off a few photos of it placed in the grass. Two of those images taken of her phone near the mailboxes are shown in the ABC interview. *See Skib's post above.

Before that happens though, when KP arrives at the family's empty home, why not give his wife's iPhone a call from the landline inside the home? Instead, he immediately goes to the FindMe app, or 1 similar. Anyway, it is a tiny detail that I've pondered after learning their home had a landline phone system.

He DID try calling and texting her phone before using the find my phone app. We learned this from the reporter who interviewed KP for 20/20 but they cut that detail out of the show for time.

For who staying safe?
It's just my opinion, I certainly don't have a complete scenario. But I'm guessing that if this was a message sent, then possibly disclosing info could make the family unsafe again. Again, moo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not sure if this has been brought up but the fact that SP was carrying an iPhone when she was taken will mean LE has access to loads of information about what transpired prior to SP being taken.

If you have an iPhone you can see this for yourself. Open the "Health" App (an Apple installed app that every iphone running a recent version of iOS has). In the Health app tap "Health Data", then tap the "Activity" logo with the bike on it. Scroll down to "Today" and tap either "Steps" or "Walking Distance". Next tap "Show All Data", then pick a date. The Health app will display a long list of motion events that occurred on that day. Each motion event has a start time and end time, accurate to the second. The iPhone software uses accelerometers in the phone to tell when you are moving and the software is able to distinguish between motion consistent with walking and running as opposed to bouncing around in the cup holder of your car.

What can all this motion data tell LE? Lots. For instance-

When did SP start her run?

How fast was she running, was it consistent to the pace she usually runs at?

Did she run fast at one time, perhaps to avoid being captured?

What time was the phone set down? Recording no motion is impossible to replicate while holding an iphone, the accelerometer is too sensitive.

What is the timeline for when Sherri stopped running and the phone was placed on the ground? Motion data could show either signs of a struggle or could indicate Sherri stopped running and spoke with the kidnappers before there was a struggle a possibility if she were being deceived by the kidnappers.

If the phone was still on when KP found it then him picking up the phone could very likely be logged as a motion event as well.

If Sherri were using a GPS run tracking app like "Map My Run" or "Strava" then the phone would also be logging GPS data. This would give very exact picture of how fast she was moving, where she was going and if she changed pace or stopped at anytime during the run.

Looking at the motion data combined with things like her call and text logs from that day should give LE a lot of clues as to what transpired the day Sherri was taken.

**(furiously looking for the 'health' app on my iPhone....)**

Might you even purposely leave hair tangled in your earbuds as a message to your husband?

To be honest, I really do not think I would have the presence of mind to do that. I should also say that my own theory on the phone neatly placed is dependent on that phone already being in my hand and the earbuds already sort of coiled or wrapped and me slowly and gingerly laying those items on the ground because - gun

I was applying Occam's razor on the hair strands being entangled in the earbud wires. I had very long straight hair for many years and had to wear headphones and later earbuds to transcribe dictation. It was a rare occasion when I would remove my headphones or buds and not find some of my hair tangled in the wires.

She was treated and released...even the Sheriff said her injuries did not require more.

Plus, no doubt she desperately wanted to be reunited with her family in familiar circumstances, and vice-versa, which was the best thing for her mental and physical health. She'd already been imprisoned long enough, doctors were not going to continue to keep her in captivity.

So are you saying that during an abduction, you think she had time to attach strands of hair to her earbuds?
I am not sure.. sorry

Her husband would know it was her phone buy sight and the app, wouldn't he?
What would a few strands of hair tell him?

Understand, you are working with more than we are , so if our thoughts seem off, well you can see why
My hair was once that long (much longer at one time). It's super easy to run your hand down your hair and remove a few hairs; then she could have wrapped them right along with the buds.

Not sure if this has been brought up but the fact that SP was carrying an iPhone when she was taken will mean LE has access to loads of information about what transpired prior to SP being taken.

If you have an iPhone you can see this for yourself. Open the "Health" App (an Apple installed app that every iphone running a recent version of iOS has). In the Health app tap "Health Data", then tap the "Activity" logo with the bike on it. Scroll down to "Today" and tap either "Steps" or "Walking Distance". Next tap "Show All Data", then pick a date. The Health app will display a long list of motion events that occurred on that day. Each motion event has a start time and end time, accurate to the second. The iPhone software uses accelerometers in the phone to tell when you are moving and the software is able to distinguish between motion consistent with walking and running as opposed to bouncing around in the cup holder of your car.

What can all this motion data tell LE? Lots. For instance-

When did SP start her run?

How fast was she running, was it consistent to the pace she usually runs at?

Did she run fast at one time, perhaps to avoid being captured?

What time was the phone set down? Recording no motion is impossible to replicate while holding an iphone, the accelerometer is too sensitive.

What is the timeline for when Sherri stopped running and the phone was placed on the ground? Motion data could show either signs of a struggle or could indicate Sherri stopped running and spoke with the kidnappers before there was a struggle a possibility if she were being deceived by the kidnappers.

If the phone was still on when KP found it then him picking up the phone could very likely be logged as a motion event as well.

If Sherri were using a GPS run tracking app like "Map My Run" or "Strava" then the phone would also be logging GPS data. This would give very exact picture of how fast she was moving, where she was going and if she changed pace or stopped at anytime during the run.

Looking at the motion data combined with things like her call and text logs from that day should give LE a lot of clues as to what transpired the day Sherri was taken.

Mine says "no data" :(

I don't need strands of my wife's hair in her earbuds to know something is wrong if she is nowhere to be found and yet her phone is by a road. So what other information can strands of hair provide? Makes no sense. Anyone? How is this some kind of signal?

Let me try again. Placing the earbuds neatly and a larger than normal amount of hair strands expresses to KP that SP made a "conscious decision", not a haphazard one. It says, "I didn't drop this accidentally, nor should you wonder if I had some kind of medical emergency and look for me in the nearby area on foot somewhere. I am leaving, but not by choice or else I'd still have my phone with me. So don't look for me here, but still look for me."

Imo.

They let SP go.

Why?

Especially if these were traffickers that kill women at any given time?

So imo. Leaving her alive would catch the syndicate that runs the business.

So why would a big sex ring allow her to tell the tale after 22 days held captive?

If she actually ripped a hank of hair out of her head, that signals violence, and would be a big reason why KP photograghed the phone.

Pretty sure the sequence of events was:

- coming home to empty house (though Sherri's car was still in driveway)
- searches the house and yard
- calls and texts Sherri's phone
- calls daycare and family members (not sure in which order)
- uses app to locate Sherri's phone
- calls 911

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I could be. ;)

I believe when he searched the house and yard, he also drove down the street thinking they may have been on a walk. When he still couldn't find them he called the daycare and family members.

To be honest, I really do not think I would have the presence of mind to do that. I should also say that my own theory on the phone neatly placed is dependent on that phone already being in my hand and the earbuds already sort of coiled or wrapped and me slowly and gingerly laying those items on the ground because - gun

I was applying Occam's razor on the hair strands being entangled in the earbud wires. I had very long straight hair for many years and had to wear headphones and later earbuds to transcribe dictation. It was a rare occasion when I would remove my headphones or buds and not find some of my hair tangled in the wires.

I still have very long hair. Yes, it sheds, and yes, strands of my hair get caught up in virtually everything.

But.... presumably Sherri had her hair in a ponytail for jogging? And since she was near the mailboxes she had already jogged for about a mile, so her head and neck would have been sweaty?

Damp or wet hair pulled back in a ponytail in my experience greatly lessens the odds of hair shedding at all.

I am an aggressive CG skeptic, but I think Lake16 answered this one right: Lots of stuff in California gets translated into Spanish, for obvious reasons.

True but if you want to target criminals who took her then you would also translate it into other languages such as those I mentioned. Both groups have major gang/mafia type activities in the Northern California region.

Edited to add that I didn't know web developers did the Spanish automatically. Do they do this for all websites?

They did not say she went HOME after her release. They also did not say she didn't receive further treatment after her release. This is all just speculation. We don't know what kind of treatment she had or hasn't had after leaving the hospital. They aren't obligated to tell us.

She was treated for "non life threatening injuries" and released. There is absolutely nothing implied or stated anywhere to the contrary.

1-gang initiation: Being in California my entire life, I am pretty familiar with gang culture. I have never heard of this type of gang initiation happening before. I know of them doing the 'jumping in' ritual, or the 'armed robbery' or 'drive by' crimes, to prove yourself. I have never heard of them chaining up a jogger then releasing her 3 weeks later as an initiation.

2-hate crime: this is certainly a possible element of the crime. It's just hard for me to believe it would go on for so long. It seems there would be more of a motive or it would have been a quick besting and then thrown out quickly. jmo

3- sexual assault and torture: If that was the entire motive, I'd think they'd have killed her at the end. JMO

Kidnapping a woman like this would certainly prove themselves to the gang, just as well as the other crimes you mention would. Maybe the reason it went on for so long is because they had the opportunity to let it go on so long. I.E. nothing else to do for three weeks.

As for her not being killed, people commit different crimes. These suspects were clearly interested in kidnapping and abusing her, not in killing her. Or they planned to kill her, but changed their minds. But I don't think the evidence supports that.

If she actually ripped a hank of hair out of her head, that signals violence, and would be a big reason why KP photograghed the phone.

At the beginning of this case, it was reported that there were 3 to 8 strands of hair.
It was Keith who said this.
Unless we were being misled from the beginning, it doesn't sound like a "hank"

Keith confirms that a few strands of hair were found — maybe between three and eight strands — but says “it wasn’t a normal thing.”

http://people.com/crime/missing-sherri-papini-update-husband-keith-interview/

Let me try again. Placing the earbuds neatly and a larger than normal amount of hair strands expresses to KP that SP made a "conscious decision", not a haphazard one. It says, "I didn't drop this accidentally, nor should you wonder if I had some kind of medical emergency and look for me in the nearby area on foot somewhere. I am leaving, but not by choice or else I'd still have my phone with me. So don't look for me here, but still look for me."

That still doesn't make any sense to me. If it's a possible medical emergency, he would simply look around for a few meters in each direction. That would take all of 1 minute to rule out. You're not going to drop the phone and walk another 50 meters while having a heart attack.

Maybe it's a European thing (I'm in Europe). But here, if your phone is on the side of the road and you haven't been drinking, something bad has happened. Including a clump of hair, or attaching any other body part to your fallen phone, is not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elle C