Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why hasn't the 911 call been made public yet from the truck driver?? We've heard the call between dispatch and CHP, but what about the initial call made? And I'm beginning to doubt the Sutton woman's account, unless her 911 call is released. She could've inserted herself for attention, that happens, even on a smaller level like a comment on the Help Find SP Facebook page.

She's legit, imho. There were initial media reports that Sherri was found off I5, and when challenged on it, Ms. Sutton firmly insisted that she saw her on I5, which turned out to be correct. Not 100% proof, but based on the overall story I'm convinced she actually saw her.

I fear @steelman is right, but hope he's wrong. I really don't want them to get away with this.

I fear @steelman is right, but hope he's wrong. I really don't want them to get away with this.

This is one of those cases that could conceivably be solved months or years from now when someone with information gets arrested on something unrelated and gives police information in exchange for leniency. Short of that - I don't see it getting solved either.

There are a number of kinds of hose clamps. Some have a screw. Others could be used with something called a "banding tool" which make them more or less permanent and would require cutting to get them off.

But on the day of SP's release, even if she had the screw-type clamp, LE might have just cut it off her rather than trying to locate a screwdriver.

Yeah, one of the initial officers described them as "hose clamps" and we all just ran with the screw type, and a lot of us pointed out how they wouldn't make a very good restraint.

But then Keith called them "something like a hose clamp if you will" and that makes me believe they were probably shackles. I could see where an officer might have called shackles hose clamps. That would make a lot more sense.

An example of shackles: (of course, sizing then becomes an issue... )

Also, shackles could be held shut with a zip tie, making them easy to remove with a quick snip.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tmp_shackles1.jpg
    tmp_shackles1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 285
This is one of those cases that could conceivably be solved months or years from now when someone with information gets arrested on something unrelated and gives police information in exchange for leniency. Short of that - I don't see it getting solved either.

Personally, I think it's way too premature to make pronouncements of "this will never be solved."

She disappeared 39 days ago. Re-emerged 17 days ago. We don't know what Physical evidence has been collected, and it likely hasn't completed testing yet.

So far too soon for such dramatic pronouncements, IMHO.

They aren't going to solve this case.

A.) She was found alive and returned home. Living victims take a lower priority on the crime scale, and eventually go cold unless glaring new evidence is presented.

B) The don't have enough evidence to even name a suspect(s), much less convict one.

C) The victim wouldn't be able to make a positive I.D. even if LE were able to arrest someone for this.

D) A case this perplex and confusing would be a nightmare for a prosecutor, and an absolute dream for a defense lawyer.

F) The general public has a very short attention span and with other crimes occurring daily, will eventually lose interest in this story.

G.) The victim is back home safe-and-sound with her family , in time for the holidays no doubt, so any urgency that was present on the part of LE before is completely gone now. The only reason they are still discussing it is because the media keeps bringing it up.

H) The cops have been unable to figure out who kidnapped her, where she was held, who released her, or what the entire motive behind this was. To think that could all change in the drop of a hat is unrealistic and highly unlikely at this point.

Pull out a big manila envelope and write UNSOLVED across the front and back. Shove all the reports and interviews in there and then replace it in the file cabinet.

All done.

Well said, Steelman. I was going to post that in the next several months le would make an announcement that they were interested in any leads from the public and that we'd hear nothing official after that. I hope that turns out to be wrong.

I think those in the medical field are also used to seeing such horrible injuries that anything short of a gun shot to the chest would be considered minor, IMO. But I think my husband, seeing me the way KP described after 22 days, would think my injuries were pretty major, not minor (just given the emotional attachment). Not minimizing, but sometimes I think it can be rather subjective from a medical standpoint. JMO
Depends on ones experiences too. I worked ER MedSurg floors so I saw lots.of various injuries and hospitalizations from minor to fatsl. It is hard for me to call SPs injuries minor to medical standards without seeing pics. I would say that if she was treated and released from the hospital then chances are she had injuries that did not require hospitalization. Also she could have chosen not to be admitted against docs advice and that is her right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It's all up to SP. She is the only person who can provide the crucial details to LE to solve this crime and bring justice. What will her next move be?

Yeah, one of the initial officers described them as "hose clamps" and we all just ran with the screw type, and a lot of us pointed out how they wouldn't make a very good restraint.

But then Keith called them "something like a hose clamp if you will" and that makes me believe they were probably shackles. I could see where an officer might have called shackles hose clamps. That would make a lot more sense.

An example of shackles: (of course, sizing then becomes an issue... )

Also, shackles could be held shut with a zip tie, making them easy to remove with a quick snip.

attachment.php

I would lean more toward a stainless steel band clamp that would be ratcheted on to her two wrists tightly:

IMG_1728.JPG

Band clamps and a banding tool are extremely common and can be bought off the shelf. Or the abductor could have already owned them thru working in an industrial or oilfield job.

Shackles are harder to come by. They are very known to LE as they are used with high security prisoners. I can't see anyone in LE referring to a shackle as a hose clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.) She was found alive and returned home. Living victims take a lower priority on the crime scale, and eventually go cold unless glaring new evidence is presented.

B) The don't have enough evidence to even name a suspect(s), much less convict one.

C) The victim wouldn't be able to make a positive I.D. even if LE were able to arrest someone for this.

D) A case this perplex and confusing would be a nightmare for a prosecutor, and an absolute dream for a defense lawyer.

F) The general public has a very short attention span and with other crimes occurring daily, will eventually lose interest in this story.

G.) The victim is back home safe-and-sound with her family , in time for the holidays no doubt, so any urgency that was present on the part of LE before is completely gone now. The only reason they are still discussing it is because the media keeps bringing it up.

H) The cops have been unable to figure out who kidnapped her, where she was held, who released her, or what the entire motive behind this was. To think that could all change in the drop of a hat is unrealistic and highly unlikely at this point.

Pull out a big manila envelope and write UNSOLVED across the front and back. Shove all the reports and interviews in there and then replace it in the file cabinet.

All done.

Fact is, the general public has no idea what kind of evidence LE has in this case. We do know search warrants were issued and we do know SP's clothing, restraints and other items were sent to the crime lab, and we do know there is "sensitive" information the SCSO has chosen not to release to the public. We also know SP was interviewed several times for long periods of time - and we don't know how much info she was able to provide about where she was, what it smelled like, if there was furniture, concrete floor, metal floor, dirt, etc.

In other words, there's a ton of stuff we don't know. So, I have to disagree with this. Besides, you went from D to F and skipped E. :)

Just thinking out loud. What if one or all of the abductor(s) have/had/do lived in Redding at one time or another. They were familar with the area where Sherri was taken. What is 150 approx miles to where she was taken? If a gang, what if this was retaliation against the police agencies vs Sherri or her family. The branding/message was implied to the agencies.

Just my opinion

All done.

That's the spirit Steelman!

Seriously though, I can't accept a defeatist attitude. You may very well be right but I can't think that way myself. Never give up, never stop fighting for justice.

Yeah, beat her, brand her, and starve her for 3 weeks, oops! Gotta let her go for Thanksgiving, can't explain the strange woman screaming in my basement! They didn’t plan ahead!
And the neatly placed I phone!

I am pulling my hair out!
(Not really )

Someday maybe it will all make sense.

Veryunlikely.

Why would they agree to host Thanksgiving, knowing there was a woman chained in their basement? Conversely, why would they kidnap and chain up a woman in the basement knowing they were going to have guests for Thanksgiving?

Veryunlikely.

Why would they agree to host Thanksgiving, knowing there was a woman chained in their basement? Conversely, why would they kidnap and chain up a woman in the basement knowing they were going to have guests for Thanksgiving?

Something tells me that a person who abducts a woman and beats her for three weeks isn't going to be the kind of person who "has guests over for Thanksgiving."

More than likely he or she ate a Hungry Man microwave dinner in solitude, followed by a 12-pack of beer and passing out on the couch. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's how I understand it:
It was stated that CG was contacted by an anonymous person. The AD went to this anonymous person, who has also never been named, and THAT anonymous person put the AD in touch with CG ... and also knew the Papini's. That's two unnamed individuals. THAT mysterious in between person is why KP took a chance with the entire matter.

Wow.
Just like one of those old dime store detective novels. Full of convenient mysterious anonymous characters.
:facepalm:

I recall that he used the word "snatched" in an early interview. I don't recall him using the word abducted in that early interview. I can't find the WS archive for my posts in the earlier threads so can't provide links or check to see if my memory is correct with spending a lot time re-sleuthing.

Same here. :)

If one considers it possible that SP was chosen because of (not despite) the fact that she's the victim-type to almost guarantee lots of media attention/publicity...........then one might logically consider that an early morning Thanksgiving day release was planned from the get-go.

I do realize investigations take time. However routine things like his phone records and verification of his whereabouts do not. Warrants can be obtained in hours, not months IIRC. DNA testing also in criminal cases usually comes back in weeks, not months IMO.
I think with the publicity and concern this case has generated, if LE had any evidence that CG was involved in anything beyond the fact that he worked to help the Papini family they would have put him in handcuffs and marched him into the SCSObin front of the media

Idisagree.

Police take their time to build cases. They don't rush like in the movies, b/c any mistakes made lead to the perp getting off. They also like to give perps enough rope to hang themselves. They will always do something stupid in the end, like return to the scene of the crime, try the same thing again, start contacting people who were involved with them, etc.

We haven't seen the end of this, IMO. And there's a reason that police are not bothering to release sketches of the perps, the vehicle, or warning the public more about the dangers from these "latinas".

I would lean more toward a stainless steel band clamp that would be ratcheted on to her two wrists tightly:

View attachment 105939

Band clamps and a banding tool are extremely common and can be bought off the shelf. Or the abductor could have already owned them thru working in an industrial or oilfield job.

Shackles are harder to come by. They are very known to LE as they are used with high security prisoners. I can't see anyone in LE referring to a shackle as a hose clamp.

I agree that it does seem unlikely for an officer to describe shackles as hose clamps. Given what Keith said, though, I think it's highly unlikely that they were actually hose clamps. ("something like a hose clamp if you will")

Band clamps is certainly possible. They could be somewhat difficult to apply and you would need the tool, but it does fit the descriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snathan