Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did she know it was only the 1 captor if she had a bag over her head?
I would think it would be pretty obvious if the driver had to stop the car, go around and open (I presume) the rear door, cut her restraints, and push her out of the car.

"She was chained anytime she was in the vehicle,"*Mr Papini said in the interview, which airs on 2 December.*

"They opened the door, she doesn’t know [where] because she’s got a bag over her head. They cut something to free her restraint that was holding her in the vehicle, and then kind of pushed her out of the vehicle."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ta-county-blood-bruising-chains-a7452091.html

Other accounts say she was pushed out of a moving car, which would be pretty hard for a single person, presumably driving, to do.

So, initially, the entire account was IMO very clearly two people.

Changing that to only one person is a huge change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If the surveillance video of SP on the highway shows her actually being dropped off, then we surely need to see that. Someone might recognize the vehicle. It's highly doubtful the video shows that. Any LE worth anything would have released that video right away in hopes of closing in on the suspects.

I would also like to know, as you point out, why the # of people dropping her off went from two to one. KP didn't seem to have a clear picture of what went on when he gave his 20/20 interview. He said two dropped her off. Did she tell him one thing and LE another?

I remember Lake16 was adamant that one person dropped her off. Did that one person stop and kick her out? Wasn't she harnessed to something in the car too? How did she get unharnessed?
I am highly doubtful of what could be seen in any video from that church. There are no street lights along the entrance or exit ramps for I-5 at that location.

BBM. Any locals here that know this area? Would there be businesses with surveillance cameras in the general area, even a mile or two away?
Yolo is mostly residential surrounded by farms.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Y...35bbf94d24ebe3!8m2!3d38.732968!4d-121.8072828

attachment.php

Attachments

• yolo.jpg
    yolo.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 240
I would think it would be pretty obvious if the driver had to stop the car, go around and open (I presume) the rear door, cut her restraints, and push her out of the car.

"She was chained anytime she was in the vehicle,"*Mr Papini said in the interview, which airs on 2 December.*

"They opened the door, she doesn’t know [where] because she’s got a bag over her head. They cut something to free her restraint that was holding her in the vehicle, and then kind of pushed her out of the vehicle."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ta-county-blood-bruising-chains-a7452091.html

Other accounts say she was pushed out of a moving car, which would be pretty hard for a single person, presumably driving, to do.

So, initially, the entire account was IMO very clearly two people.

Changing that to only one person is a huge change.

In that quote Keith is not referring to more than one person when he used the word "they". It is very, very common to use "they" instead of he or she when referring to a lone individual in a gender-neutral way.

And if you go through the transcript from that 20/20 interview it is clear the story being told was that only one person had taken Sherri to be dropped off. There has never been a change in that aspect of the story.

I am highly doubtful of what could be seen in any video from that church. There are no street lights along the entrance or exit ramps for I-5 at that location.
I'm thinking of the Bevers case... dark, a distance away, can't really tell anything from it, but only one person's form can be made out.

It's just a thought. *Something* caused the story to change from two to one, and that's the only thing I can come up with.

I mean, how else could it have gone? "oh my God, I forgot to tell you about the fight and the gunshot, so I was mistaken earlier about both releasing me, it was only one"

In that quote Keith is not referring to more than one person when he used the word "they". It is very, very common to use "they" instead of he or she when referring to a lone individual in a gender-neutral way.

And if you go through the transcript from that 20/20 interview it is clear the story being told was that only one person had taken Sherri to be dropped off. There has never been a change in that aspect of the story.
I'll have to go find the interview transcript. I've been searching all the early accounts, and I've only seen reference to two.

ETA

What am I missing? I don't see any mention of a single kidnapper dropping her off. And "they" is generally only used in the singular when the gender is unknown. If it were a single woman, I think the vast majority of people would use "she"

VOICEOVER: Where was she? And how did she get free from her captors? Sherri hasn't spoken publicly yet. The account of her release comes solely from what she told police and her husband.

22:00*KEITH: She was uh . . . bound. She had a chain around her waist. She had a bag over her head. I can't remember if it's her right or her left arm was chained to the chained and her left hand was in the vehicle chained to something.

INTERVIEWER: To make sure she didn't jump out of the car . . .

22:15*KEITH: Yeah, they cut something to free her restraint that was holding her into the vehicle, pushed her out, and drove away. Sherri has one free hand and took the bag off of her head. And she has at this point has no idea where she's at. She runs to a house and didn't look what she said was very inviting. She ran to another building, could not get into that building, and then ran to the freeway.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ubz3p/completed_2020_transcript_keith_papini/

But why be gender neutral when Sherri stated they were both female?

According to the exclusive ABC article, it was captors, plural.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sherri-pap...erious-disappearance-search/story?id=43930023

According to Keith, Sherri was bound with a chain around her waist inside a vehicle with her alleged captors. Keith said his wife told him that at some point her alleged captors stopped the vehicle on a road.

“They opened the door. She doesn't know because she had a bag over her head. They cut something to free her of her restraint that was holding her into the vehicle and then pushed her out of the vehicle,” Keith said.

According to Keith, Sherri said her captors then drove away.

I'm thinking of the Bevers case... dark, a distance away, can't really tell anything from it, but only one person's form can be made out.

It's just a thought. *Something* caused the story to change from two to one, and that's the only thing I can come up with.

I mean, how else could it have gone? "oh my God, I forgot to tell you about the fight and the gunshot, so I was mistaken earlier about both releasing me, it was only one"

The story did NOT change. "They" is often used in casual speech to refer to one person. This is from Nov 29, 2016:
According to Bosenko, Papini told police her captors were two adult Hispanic women, armed with a handgun, and driving a dark colored SUV. But, says Bosenko, Papini said only one of the women released her.
http://people.com/crime/sheriff-rev...mom-found-after-early-november-disappearance/

As for the camera capturing the vehicle...
It states that the camera caught Sherri running up to the onramp. It doesn't state that the vehicle was captured at all. IIRC, they didn't drop her right on the highway, but on a side road-ish spot and she then ran up the ramp.
I'll have to go back and try to find the news footage/posts that had this map of exactly where they dropped her.

MOO

As for the camera capturing the vehicle...
It states that the camera caught Sherri running up to the onramp. It doesn't state that the vehicle was captured at all. IIRC, they didn't drop her right on the highway, but on a side road-ish spot and she then ran up the ramp.
I'll have to go back and try to find the news footage/posts that had this map of exactly where they dropped her.

MOO

That's why I asked about what the general area is like.....whether or not there would be cameras in the surrounding area.

The story did NOT change. "They" is often used in casual speech to refer to one person. This is from Nov 29, 2016:

http://people.com/crime/sheriff-rev...mom-found-after-early-november-disappearance/

Ok, so two different sources, two different answers. Talk about this case getting more confusing...

I'll have to go find the interview transcript. I've been searching all the early accounts, and I've only seen reference to two.

ETA

What am I missing? I don't see any mention of a single kidnapper dropping her off. And "they" is generally only used in the singular when the gender is unknown. If it were a single woman, I think the vast majority of people would use "she"

VOICEOVER: Where was she? And how did she get free from her captors? Sherri hasn't spoken publicly yet. The account of her release comes solely from what she told police and her husband.

22:00*KEITH: She was uh . . . bound. She had a chain around her waist. She had a bag over her head. I can't remember if it's her right or her left arm was chained to the chained and her left hand was in the vehicle chained to something.

INTERVIEWER: To make sure she didn't jump out of the car . . .

22:15*KEITH: Yeah, they cut something to free her restraint that was holding her into the vehicle, pushed her out, and drove away. Sherri has one free hand and took the bag off of her head. And she has at this point has no idea where she's at. She runs to a house and didn't look what she said was very inviting. She ran to another building, could not get into that building, and then ran to the freeway.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ubz3p/completed_2020_transcript_keith_papini/

Thanks for posting. The impression I get is that both the interviewer and KP assumed two people dropped her off.

Ok, so two different sources, two different answers. Talk about this case getting more confusing...

Yes that can happen. Here's an example. CBS news wrote that Keith told Good Morning America this.

Keith Papini said in a statement released to Good Morning America that investigators told him to “brace himself” before he was re-united with his wife at a hospital Thanksgiving Day because of her battered condition. Investigators say Sherri Papini, 34, was abducted Nov. 2 after going for a jog near Redding.

Her husband told Good Morning America the woman’s captors threw her from a moving car with a chain around her waist and a bag over her head, and she used the bag to flag down a passing motorist. She was found about 150 miles south of where she disappeared.

If you use the link that CBS provided to the statement Keith gave Good Morning America you will read this.

Her now emaciated body of 87 pounds was covered in multicolored bruises, severe burns, red rashes and chain markings. Her signature long blond hair had been chopped off. She has been branded, and I could feel the rise of her scabs under my fingers. She was thrown from a vehicle with a chain around her waist, attached to her wrists and a bag over her head.

BBM

CBS got it wrong.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sherri...ound-emaciated-and-branded-with-hair-cut-off/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gma-exclusive-husband-sherri-papini-speaks-familys-ordeal/story?id=43840659

Why did it take almost a year to get these sketches? So much I just don't understand.

Why did it take 5 or 6 months to get a sketch of Bridge Guy in the Delphi double child murder Case? IDK. Sometimes that's just how long LE takes to decide to release a sketch. :dunno:

Why did it take 5 or 6 months to get a sketch of Bridge Guy in the Delphi double child murder Case? IDK. Sometimes that's just how long LE takes to decide to release a sketch. :dunno:

Alot more difficult and time consuming in that case where the victims are deceased. These sketches were described by Sherri herself, who had 22 days to look at them. It does seem a long time.

The victims were obviously not able to provide LE with the details needed to make a sketch. When did the witness that helped with the sketch come forward?

So at worst, KP and 20/20 got it wrong, leading to much confusion and second guessing. I'm also left to wonder, thinking about the broad picture, if KP not did know, at the time of the 20/20 interview, about the head-meets-toilet episode. Wouldn't he have brought it up during the interview? I'm not under the impression LE just found out about it from SP.

Alot more difficult and time consuming in that case where the victims are deceased. These sketches were described by Sherri herself, who had 22 days to look at them. It does seem a long time.

But they had a photo/video of the guy in that case. They had people who saw him right? I don't know why they took so long in this case, but my point is it is not suspicious when LE takes time releasing info to the public. It happens all the time in many different cases that it takes a long time to release a sketch or for us to get more info from LE. LE holding back info does not mean the witness was holding back info for that long. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny