Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, she is more likely to have been abducted by a RSO than a trafficker. However, with California leading the country in trafficking crimes; I don't believe it can be ruled out. Sadly, we really have no idea what happened to SP. But I have to respectfully disagree. The culture of trafficking is changing and there is no single profile. Younger victims are more susceptible to grooming and often times drugs; whereas adult victims can be forced into trafficking with no prior drug use. I posted this earlier, but really feel that it warrants again. Myths regarding trafficking can contribute to a false sense of security. It really can happen to anyone. The prevalence of trafficking in California (first link is specific to Shasta County) and the close proximity to the college, could have made SP a target given her youthful, attractive appearance. MOO (supported by a few facts below). BTW, the FBI is now involved. Prayers for SP's safe return to her family.

Human trafficking is the second largest and fastest growing criminal enterprise - just below drug trafficking. Criminals realize this is a more profitable business because drugs can only be sold once, and humans can be sold over and over and over...

Children under the age of 18 induced into commercial sex
Adults (age 18 or over) induced into commercial sex through force, fraud, or coercion
Children and adults induced to perform labor or services through force, fraud, or coercion

There is no single profile for trafficking victims; trafficking occurs to adults and minors in rural, suburban, or urban communities across the country. Victims of human trafficking have diverse socio-economic backgrounds, varied levels of education, and may be documented or undocumented. Traffickers target victims using tailored methods of recruitment and control they find to be effective in compelling that individual into forced labor or commercial sex.

https://kobi5.com/news/fbi-now-invo....orghttp://humantraffickinghotline.org/states
http://humantraffickinghotline.org/what-human-trafficking/human-trafficking/victims

Traffickers almost never go for women like Sherri, not that it isn't totally unheard of. If they kidnap anyone, it is usually in the course of being lured or with other factors involved (like drugs.) Sherri's disappearance generates too much media attention and with the trafficking busts in California recently, it is just unlikely that was her fate. If LE thought there was a chance, the FBI would have the case by now.

Can you please name me some cases of missing / potentially abducted women where LE stopped searches after one week? I'm racking my brain and don't recall a case like this. I keep thinking it must be because they know what happened, but then days are ticking by with no updates...I'd be livid if it was my family member that just didn't seem important enough to find. Sorry if I sound angry, I've been trying to wrap my brain around this case for 2 weeks ... I feel like they gave up too soon but at the same time trying to keep faith that they aren't letting it go cold.
BBM

In Stephanie Warner's case featured in my signature there was an initial thorough search by LE and SAR of the immediate vicinity and general area (quite rural). But it lasted a few days didn't continue indefinitely. Some of her friends also searched. There were later searches with dogs a month later and even a year or two later of specific targeted areas associated with her POI/suspect BF.

When a disappearance takes place in a vast rural area active searches can't continue without a focus. LE shifts to investigative work, search warrants, questioning, computer analysis, DNA identification etc that take time may lead to new areas to search, as it did in Stephanie's case. Sadly, over three years later Stephanie hasn't been found and there has been no an arrest, but not for lack of trying. :(

I hope Sherri's family has a faster resolution. I'm sure LE is doing a lot behind the scenes that may not produce immediate results. Hang in there.

ETA: To give an idea of how slowly some investigations can move, Stephanie's BF was named a POI almost two months later. But it took two years for the detective to name him as a suspect and say on camera that they believed Stephanie was dead. Two years!! On the thread most of us knew she was dead and had him tried and convicted as soon as he was named a POI. Thankfully LE is more cautious and thorough. But it's frustrating.

IMO, she is more likely to have been abducted by a RSO than a trafficker. However, with California leading the country in trafficking crimes; I don't believe it can be ruled out. Sadly, we really have no idea what happened to SP. But I have to respectfully disagree. The culture of trafficking is changing and there is no single profile. Younger victims are more susceptible to grooming and often times drugs; whereas adult victims can be forced into trafficking with no prior drug use. I posted this earlier, but really feel that it warrants again. Myths regarding trafficking can contribute to a false sense of security. It really can happen to anyone. The prevalence of trafficking in California (first link is specific to Shasta County) and the close proximity to the college, could have made SP a target given her youthful, attractive appearance. MOO (supported by a few facts below). BTW, the FBI is now involved. Prayers for SP's safe return to her family.

Human trafficking is the second largest and fastest growing criminal enterprise - just below drug trafficking. Criminals realize this is a more profitable business because drugs can only be sold once, and humans can be sold over and over and over...

Children under the age of 18 induced into commercial sex
Adults (age 18 or over) induced into commercial sex through force, fraud, or coercion
Children and adults induced to perform labor or services through force, fraud, or coercion

There is no single profile for trafficking victims; trafficking occurs to adults and minors in rural, suburban, or urban communities across the country. Victims of human trafficking have diverse socio-economic backgrounds, varied levels of education, and may be documented or undocumented. Traffickers target victims using tailored methods of recruitment and control they find to be effective in compelling that individual into forced labor or commercial sex.

https://kobi5.com/news/fbi-now-invo....orghttp://humantraffickinghotline.org/states
http://humantraffickinghotline.org/what-human-trafficking/human-trafficking/victims

It still seems extremely unlikely to me. Even that link says that they use recruitment methods and coercion. I'm curious if there's even a single documented case of someone being kidnapped off the street for trafficking purposes, especially someone not in a vulnerable population.

I agree. More evidence (signs of a struggle, witness account, 911 call, a break in, etc.) would be needed to classify it as an abduction. The fact that they don't feel the public is in any more danger than usual could imply that it involves someone who was known to SP and targeted her specifically. It could also imply that there is confirmation that she is no longer in the area. MOO

I didn't really get the feeling that he doesn't think it's an abduction - more just that they have so little to go on they really have no idea which way to lean. Hard to say though.

I'm curious about the picture of KP and SP sitting in the airplane. It looks like a private plane to me. I wonder who owns it?

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

I just asked for another question, may be a shortcut??

Days combing the woods have turned up little to nothing in the way of clues, so the family of missing woman Sherri Papini is refocusing its efforts to a news and social media campaign aimed at finding the 34-year-old mother they believe is likely out of the area by now.
"I think we exhausted the resources that we have out here to search for her," said Sheila Koester, Papini's sister. "We are trying to reach out to national news and social media networks ... We feel that it's moved to where she's been taken from this area, and everyone in the nation needs to be looking."
So far, the strategy seems to be working in terms of awareness -- Papini's disappearance has been covered by state and national news outlets and even in the United Kingdom.
The mysterious disappearance of Papini while jogging in daylight Wednesday has baffled the community and Koester alike.
"The frustrating part is that we feel like we still are going on nothing," Koester said.

Was this posted before???

UPDATE: Family believes Sherri Papini in another area by now

http://www.redding.com/news/local/S...tives-in-Sherri-Papini-search--400291581.html

Sadly it's a membership site....sorry I can't read it either, hopefully someone else can.

The first 48 hours are so pivotal without question in cases like this..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A friend who used to work for Scotland Yard told me the it's the first 24 hours. The FBI Child Abduction Rapid Deployment (CARD) Team says the first few hours are critical:

CARD Team Info
https://www2.fbi.gov/hq/cid/cac/card.htm

It is the mission of the FBI's Crimes Against Children Unit to provide a quick and effective response to all incidents of crimes against children. The first few hours after a child is abducted are critical, and that is why we have established the Child Abduction Rapid Deployment (CARD) Teams.​

A neighbor got lost on 11/1/2016, the day before SP vanished. He was reported missing after 9 pm. There was a ground search, robo-calls, texts, and loud speakers into the night. This is a wooded area and they couldn't find him. A Labrador retriever with the California Rescue Dog Association led rescuers to him just after 8 am. Our Sheriff's Department has not always used K9s and this was a good call.

Missing Mill Valley man, 74, found with help from rescue K-9
By Stephanie Weldy, Marin Independent Journal
POSTED: 11/02/16, 10:48 AM PDT
http://www.marinij.com/article/NO/20161102/NEWS/161109974

Interesting that family had to pick up the kids up from day care and yet still did not raise the alarm that Sherri did not pick them up---- my first instincts would be that parents or parents in law would have contacted her husband as a priority - dhey do you know what Sherri is up to == we have the kids? .... as a mum who would never leave her kids - that points to a million different scenarios - I think this may have lost precious time.

I am not placing blame on anyone just wondering what the interactions at this time with daycare parents and KP led them to pick up the kids without wondering what had happened to their daughter? Time is so important and Sherri seems so reliable!

Interesting that family had to pick up the kids up from day care and yet still did not raise the alarm that Sherri did not pick them up---- my first instincts would be that parents or parents in law would have contacted her husband as a priority - dhey do you know what Sherri is up to == we have the kids? .... as a mum who would never leave her kids - that points to a million different scenarios - I think this may have lost precious time.

I am not placing blame on anyone just wondering what the interactions at this time with daycare parents and KP led them to pick up the kids without wondering what had happened to their daughter? Time is so important and Sherri seems so reliable!

That is not how it happened. Keith called the family to pick up the kids once he found out they were still at daycare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to say this just simply to try to get it off my mind:
Ever since Sherri went missing I cannot get Amber Dubois out of my mind. Opportunistic perp pulls over and threatens her and she does what he says and gets in the car out of fear. No witnesses, either.
Just something I can't shake.

YES. John Gardner. And he killed Chelsea King, who reminds me very much of this case. Chelsea was out jogging in the daylight, on a trail, and he grabbed her from behind, raped and killed her. Then buried her in a shallow grave. He tried to do it to another jogger but she escaped.

Agree. And I am never running alone, ever again.

Can you talk to my 24 yr old daughter please....:eek:

She runs with her big dog so she thinks she is totally safe. He is a retriever mix and he does bark but....I still worry....

Or...I'm just going to say it. Please don't attack me. By the way LE is acting- to me it sounds like they're leaning towards her leaving voluntarily. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. They're just too casual about the whole thing. [emoji51]

I dont think this. I suspect someone accidently hit her with their car and took her to protect themselves.

Its probably against the rules, so if it is, I'll delete, but i am not at all impressed with this law enforcement group.

Sherri and her family deserve better than this. Other rural counties in this country search hundreds of miles for a missing person. This group searched the surrounding area, then quit and let the family search six miles.

Someone on the Facebook page said he lives within a mile and no one talked to him.

No call from Bosenko for residents to search their properties, no time line at all, etc. It's as if they did the minimum and said, oh well, she's not here, we dunno.

I wonder if anyone in that group has ever actually worked on a missing person case?

Ok, I'm done. Climbing down from soapbox.

To SPs family, I am so very sorry. I hope she is safe. I hope she is found.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I don't get a suicide vibe - no mention of a history of depression, mental health issues or addiction. Plus there is her pretty apparent adoration for her husband & kids. Also - she's a runner - which running is a sign of a concern for ones own health as well as a known way of lifting ones spirits.

Did they drug test KP do we know?

hmm, I honestly never thought of that.

Would dogs be able to distinguish between an old scent and a new one? I ask because her scent had to be around her property and, if she jogged regularly, along her jogging route. So, just picking up her scent might not mean much.

I have tried so hard to keep up with Sherri's threads but have come to the conclusion I just can't be sure I'm not repeating something as it's moving so fast (which is great, glad to see the interest in finding her!).

Your question is one I've had too. If they truly didn't find her scent AT ALL I have to wonder if the dogs didn't have a good scent item to work with, or perhaps weren't the right type of dog. I know when we had a local missing person near Sacramento CA several people took dogs out, both professionals and amateur trackers, and they did pick up this young woman's scent even though she'd only probably been in that area once or twice. Wouldn't pretty much any dogs get the scent of someone who lives there and is out and about all the time? Including potentially old/oldish scents from her usual routes?

Have they checked where the tree trimmers took the trimmings from the tree

Just wanted to give a personal account regarding the police notifying the family/public if the missing person was alive and well and "voluntarily missing". I live in Canada so it might be totally different and useless, but what the heck. I had a dear friend of mine go missing a few weeks ago. I was notified by a friend who had seen the police statement on twitter. We freaked out and shared the post on facebook like crazy. A few long hours after, the police had updated via twitter that he was "located". With no other details than that. When he got on facebook again, he wrote me to let me know that he had just up and left, was frustrated with some things and decided to go on an impromptu vacation without telling anyone. He was actually a bit upset with all of us sharing his missing status and info with all of facebook because it was his personal business and couldn't understand why we freaked out.

Do you think LE examined the local Craigslist listings? Personals / rants / missed connections, etc? A lot of crazy stuff in there posted by locals all the time. Much of it probably nothing but it makes me wonder if they think to look in these corners? People unload there thoughts there all the time. The town seems inundated with various cases, makes me wonder just how much they can give to this case.

Thankfully her being missing was called in right away to prevent losing even more time.

For some reason I've been thinking about the reward and account that is close to $50,000. It seems most cases it starts off smaller and as time goes on and they are desperate for clues or they know what they're going after, they'll raise it in hopes for more info. To me this seemed like a large amount of money to begin with. But I guess they were hoping someone would share what they knew right away instead of sitting on it for awhile. I don't know ...

We've heard stories about doing "checkins " with RSO or others. I'd like to hope they did more than knock on the door and ask if they've seen her. But again, I don't think they could search their properties or could they?

Just wanted to give a personal account regarding the police notifying the family/public if the missing person was alive and well and "voluntarily missing". I live in Canada so it might be totally different and useless, but what the heck. I had a dear friend of mine go missing a few weeks ago. I was notified by a friend who had seen the police statement on twitter. We freaked out and shared the post on facebook like crazy. A few long hours after, the police had updated via twitter that he was "located". With no other details than that. When he got on facebook again, he wrote me to let me know that he had just up and left, was frustrated with some things and decided to go on an impromptu vacation without telling anyone. He was actually a bit upset with all of us sharing his missing status and info with all of facebook because it was his personal business and couldn't understand why we freaked out.

He should of simply made a post saying he was taking a "time-out" - it's the responsible thing to do for your loved ones. He can be upset all he wants but it's simply unfair and imo quite selfish to make everyone worry like that. He brought all the activity upon himself. We live in a world where any bit of news can go viral in an instant. How can anyone think they can just cut the cord and no one will notice or say anything? Seems pretty naive. I'm so glad your friend is OK and hope he now appreciates the love and concern that was shown at his disappearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli