CA CA - Susan Jacobson, 59, Sun City/Roseville, 2 May 2013 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her car was parked a little ways back in the lot, I think mid-way down or so (not right at front as you would expect during that time of day) - but this was normal for her. She didn't mind walking, wanted to protect her car from door dings, and there is always more activity at the front of the store (in and out, etc.) so liked to avoid all that. That is just the way she is - so I'm not surprised by that. Her car was found unlocked - this is VERY surprising to me. Susan is a very meticulous person - and always locked her doors, held tight onto her purse and wallet, and things like that. A bit paranoid of getting robbed or something (she's a small person). I did not think that her purse was found - I went back to the articles and there was one article that mentions her purse being found in the car - but I am verifying this with police because this could be a mistake. She always keeps her wallet in her purse, and always keeps her purse on her (wrapped around her shoulder - opposite shoulder to opposite hip - again, so someone can't run by and grab it). She would not have gone into the store with only her wallet - it would have been in her purse. She keeps her keys in her side pant pocket (she was wearing jeans, she would not have gone out in sweats). My understanding is that they didn't find the keys either, but I am verifying. From watching the interview (video) with the lady who found her wallet, it looks like the wallet was found on the Woodcreek sidewalk on the outside of the shopping center (behind the Wells Fargo). This would have been a ways away from her car, and heading out of the shopping center onto Woodcreek (right onto Woodcreek out of the shopping center towards Pleasant Grove). The money (at most $100) and credit cards were gone. No activity on the credit cards. She would never accidently leave her car unlocked or leave her wallet someplace, or leave her purse in her car - like I said, very detailed oriented when it came to that stuff.

Her car was parked a little ways back in the lot, I think mid-way down or so (not right at front as you would expect during that time of day) - but this was normal for her. She didn't mind walking, wanted to protect her car from door dings, and there is always more activity at the front of the store (in and out, etc.) so liked to avoid all that. That is just the way she is - so I'm not surprised by that. Her car was found unlocked - this is VERY surprising to me. Susan is a very meticulous person - and always locked her doors, held tight onto her purse and wallet, and things like that. A bit paranoid of getting robbed or something (she's a small person). I did not think that her purse was found - I went back to the articles and there was one article that mentions her purse being found in the car - but I am verifying this with police because this could be a mistake. She always keeps her wallet in her purse, and always keeps her purse on her (wrapped around her shoulder - opposite shoulder to opposite hip - again, so someone can't run by and grab it). She would not have gone into the store with only her wallet - it would have been in her purse. She keeps her keys in her side pant pocket (she was wearing jeans, she would not have gone out in sweats). My understanding is that they didn't find the keys either, but I am verifying. From watching the interview (video) with the lady who found her wallet, it looks like the wallet was found on the Woodcreek sidewalk on the outside of the shopping center (behind the Wells Fargo). This would have been a ways away from her car, and heading out of the shopping center onto Woodcreek (right onto Woodcreek out of the shopping center towards Pleasant Grove). The money (at most $100) and credit cards were gone. No activity on the credit cards. She would never accidently leave her car unlocked or leave her wallet someplace, or leave her purse in her car - like I said, very detailed oriented when it came to that stuff.

Thank you for clarifying... And attempts of verifying... Information, Kjac...

:seeya:

Does anyone know if Susan's car keys were found?
Where would Susan put her car keys if she was carrying a wallet only, and not a purse?
(I know that the car was unlocked.)
I wonder if Susan customarily carried a wallet instead of a purse? If she took her purse with her, why take the wallet out, and leave the purse in the car ( or at home).....
Where would she keep her car keys? Inside the wallet, in a pants pocket (provided she changed from sweats), in a jacket?
I wonder if Susan needed sunglasses to drive, even in that short distance. Sometimes the sun can be pretty bright in the mornings. I wonder, if she used sunglasses, were they found in the unlocked car? Where would she keep the sunglasses? In her purse?
These are just a few questions I have.....

Great questions. Just speaking for myself .. I normally carry my purse but when I don't, I often carry my keys in a pocket. I've also got some sweats with pockets, so it's possible hers had pockets - either in the pants or sweatshirt, if she was still wearing those.

I wondered about sunglasses, and also wondered about prescription glasses. I've been known to wear my sunglasses at night/dusk just for the fact that they're prescription, if I forget the other ones. Does Susan wear glasses for near or distance vision? Or maybe just for driving?

I happened to be out near this shopping center about an hour ago (roughly 4:30am my time) - long story involving insomnia - but I was surprised how many people were out on the road. Not a LOT, but more in the Roseville area in general than anywhere else on my drive home. Obviously could've just been coincidental timing, but it was enough that it stood out to me. I really hope someone saw her and something triggers a memory now that she's finally back in the news again, if only a little bit.

A few other random thoughts...

Does Sun City have any surveillance type cameras? I've been near it but not actually in the community. It might help with confirming exactly what time she left.

How about traffic cameras? I know she didn't travel all that far, but Roseville does have a ton of those cameras. If they keep the videos long enough, any chance her car was seen on one?

Or... red light/speeding cameras? Even if Susan didn't run a light or speed, those cameras usually take video and/or stills of the cars before and after the one targeted. I know they save those for awhile because my husband got one of those tickets and looked up the video about a month later, IIRC.

I know, maybe long shots, but I was thinking about Susan a lot tonight since I was out in that area at a very early hour (or more like late since I haven't been to bed yet... but anyway, at a time when I normally wouldn't be cruising around in Roseville).

I often take my wallet out of my purse if I am just running into a store for a minute. Maybe I should break that habit.

It sounds to me like this person may have accosted her just as she was preparing to get out, or even back into her car. Could have been more than one person, because if they were grabbing cash out of her wallet, how were they subduing her at the same time? Why did they take her as well? I'm hoping and praying that she is found safe.

And if the car was unlocked, with the purse in plain sight, someone could have easily taken her wallet out of the car. If Susan had the wallet with her, and someone grabbed the wallet from her and took off, why did Susan not report she just had her wallet stolen?
Was Susan taken, And her wallet taken at the same time, only to have her wallet dumped in the same area, with the cash and credit cards missing???
Why wouldn't Susan leave her wallet in her purse and take the whole purse with her when shopping? Why would she leave her purse in her car in plain sight for anyone to see, with the doors unlocked? That's a crime of opportunity if someone wants to "break" in.....

Hmm... one more long shot idea. I wonder if she dropped the wallet and went to pick the stuff up, and something happened while she was distracted doing that? If she had a fair amount of cash maybe someone saw it?

Oops sorry I just realized some of my questions/ideas have been discussed already while I was catching up. I don't have time to go edit right now but please disregard anything that doesn't fit with the new info.

Thank you Kjac for the additional details. I sure hope she's found and soon. I feel so bad for you and your family and can't even imagine how worried you must be.

I know nothing of this area and her route to this store. But I would want to know if any business at all had cameras that may have been facing the road. This seems to be so common now. Maybe it would show her car passing by and when. I think I would have a sit-down with the investigator and ask lots of questions .They owe the family this since so much time has passed with not one answer.

Thank you for answering some of the questions I have, including verifying with police to see if her purse was actually found in her car. The way that she carries her purse around her shoulder would make it difficult for someone to take her purse from her, unless she was tazed, or accosted somehow, and that is how they got her purse(if indeed she had it around her shoulder). What is interesting is, if her purse was not in the car, but only the wallet was found, where is her purse? Was it left at home, or does someone else have it, that has Susan? Why drop the wallet with the ID in it? It was like whoever dropped it either wanted her identified, or didn't mind if she was identified so quickly......esp. since the credit cards and cash was taken. Her ID could have easily been taken out as well, but it wasn't for some reason, as it was found with her wallet.

And I got to thinking about identity theft. Why would someone take her credit cards and Not use them? I would think taking her ID would be beneficial as well,( for identity theft purposes). With her ID, it lists her address, too.....so why were the credit cards taken but not the ID? Could her credit cards be "sold" to an overseas bidder?

Was the point to look like a robbery and abduction? But not use the cards??

Great questions. Just speaking for myself .. I normally carry my purse but when I don't, I often carry my keys in a pocket. I've also got some sweats with pockets, so it's possible hers had pockets - either in the pants or sweatshirt, if she was still wearing those.

I wondered about sunglasses, and also wondered about prescription glasses. I've been known to wear my sunglasses at night/dusk just for the fact that they're prescription, if I forget the other ones. Does Susan wear glasses for near or distance vision? Or maybe just for driving?

I happened to be out near this shopping center about an hour ago (roughly 4:30am my time) - long story involving insomnia - but I was surprised how many people were out on the road. Not a LOT, but more in the Roseville area in general than anywhere else on my drive home. Obviously could've just been coincidental timing, but it was enough that it stood out to me. I really hope someone saw her and something triggers a memory now that she's finally back in the news again, if only a little bit.

Does Sun City have any surveillance type cameras? I've been near it but not actually in the community. It might help with confirming exactly what time she left.

How about traffic cameras? I know she didn't travel all that far, but Roseville does have a ton of those cameras. If they keep the videos long enough, any chance her car was seen on one?

Or... red light/speeding cameras? Even if Susan didn't run a light or speed, those cameras usually take video and/or stills of the cars before and after the one targeted. I know they save those for awhile because my husband got one of those tickets and looked up the video about a month later, IIRC.

I know, maybe long shots, but I was thinking about Susan a lot tonight since I was out in that area at a very early hour (or more like late since I haven't been to bed yet... but anyway, at a time when I normally wouldn't be cruising around in Roseville).

There are no traffic cameras in the city of Roseville. We had one over by the mall and not enough people ran the red light to pay for keeping the camera. So there are no red light camera's here. I think Sun City does have cameras in the club house area but depending on where they live in the development she might not need to pass by there or if she did pass by the cameras might not face into the street.

A day or so after she went missing I was looking around and noticed that just about every traffic light in the area (maybe in all of Roseville it seems) had a camera on it - so I became very hopeful. It turns out these cameras are part of Roseville's "Intelligent Transportation System" which monitors traffic congestion. You can see the cameras here: www.roseville.ca.us/traffic. Unfortunately they do not record, or their record history is very short, so by the time she was reported missing and all that, there was no way to pull any recordings (if they had been made). Also, if you look at the cameras, I'm not sure how much they might have shown, but we could of at least saw her car (or her car model - not sure if there is better resolution for plates, etc. that we don't have access to). Anyhow - to answer the question, these cameras are there, but unfortunately didn't help in this instance. Some additional info here: http://www.roseville.ca.us/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=9721

There are no traffic cameras in the city of Roseville. We had one over by the mall and not enough people ran the red light to pay for keeping the camera. So there are no red light camera's here. I think Sun City does have cameras in the club house area but depending on where they live in the development she might not need to pass by there or if she did pass by the cameras might not face into the street.

Hmm.. I was confused because I know I've seen traffic cams for Roseville - we have Surewest and there are a bunch of them on one of the cable channels (forget what it's called, local traffic or something). It looks like they're owned/run by CalTrans though, or at least most of them are. Here's a page showing the CalTrans ones: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departments/traffic/cameras/. These are all on the highway though. I know there are at least a couple on Surewest's channel that aren't CalTrans but I don't know where to find them other than live on TV. I wonder if they're recorded somewhere. Probably not unfortunately.

I'd forgotten that about the red light cameras out there.. darn it.

I really hope they can find something useful on camera somewhere.

A day or so after she went missing I was looking around and noticed that just about every traffic light in the area (maybe in all of Roseville it seems) had a camera on it - so I became very hopeful. It turns out these cameras are part of Roseville's "Intelligent Transportation System" which monitors traffic congestion. You can see the cameras here: www.roseville.ca.us/traffic. Unfortunately they do not record, or their record history is very short, so by the time she was reported missing and all that, there was no way to pull any recordings (if they had been made). Also, if you look at the cameras, I'm not sure how much they might have shown, but we could of at least saw her car (or her car model - not sure if there is better resolution for plates, etc. that we don't have access to). Anyhow - to answer the question, these cameras are there, but unfortunately didn't help in this instance. Some additional info here: http://www.roseville.ca.us/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=9721

I think we posted at the same time. Thanks for the additional info. Darn it.. I guess it'd be pretty much impossible for everything to be recorded and saved from every camera but I sure wish it was.

I am just curious why Susan wears a bandanna around her neck in the photos shown on the video and the initial picture that was provided. Maybe it is just her style, but I just thought it was unusual.

And I got to thinking about identity theft. Why would someone take her credit cards and Not use them? I would think taking her ID would be beneficial as well,( for identity theft purposes). With her ID, it lists her address, too.....so why were the credit cards taken but not the ID? Could her credit cards be "sold" to an overseas bidder?

Was the point to look like a robbery and abduction? But not use the cards??

BBM. This is my thought. Do we know when the last independent sighting of Susan was? I scanned through the thread quickly and apologize if this was already answered.

I am just curious why Susan wears a bandanna around her neck in the photos shown on the video and the initial picture that was provided. Maybe it is just her style, but I just thought it was unusual.

Depending on when that photo was taken, there was a period of time that wearing scarfs in various lengths and ways, was a fashion style, as I wore them, too. :)

All - there is a facebook page at www.facebook.com/SJmissing (can search Susan Jacobson - Missing in Roseville on facebook). If people have other ideas, please let me know - unfortunately I haven't really found an instruction manual for this process yet ;)

Thank you again for your interest and concern.

Interesting about places she would take walks. I guess all of those places were searched?

One other thought just came to mind. Can't stop thinking about Susan today! I can't believe she hasn't been found yet.

If she shops at this Raleys regularly, have they talked to cashiers or baggers who might recognize her? They might not have seen her that morning, but if they know where she typically parks, when she usually comes in, or things she typically buys or browses, maybe that info could be somehow helpful?

I'm sure if anyone saw her that morning or thought of anything suspicious they have already called, but I'm thinking more about things that might be helpful and they don't even realize it could be useful. These only apply if she's a regular customer there, but I'm thinking of things like...

Does she walk around the parking lot before coming in, or after shopping? Maybe for a little extra exercise?

Does she normally have a bagger assist her to her car, or does she take the cart herself? If she has a bagger come with her often they might know where her favorite parking spots are. Was her car found where she normally parks? I know you (Kjac22) have indicated that's typical of where she'd park at stores in general, but if she's a regular at this store maybe they know even more specifically where she parks in that lot. Maybe they've also noticed if she typically removes her purse from her shoulder to get her car keys out, or if she typically has them in her pockets. If she usually takes the cart herself, does she drop it off at a cart return? (if they have them - I know some of the Raleys do and some don't, can't recall if this one does)

Any typical routines in the store? Does she check out what's fresh in the bakery? Things on clearance? The magazine or book aisles? Or is she more of a "get in/get out" shopper? If she's got a typical routine, maybe that would help identify if anyone else was likely to have seen her in the store, even other regular customers.

Anyone outside the store she talks to? At the store I go to most often there's a guy who I assume is homeless but I'm not really sure. I don't typically stop and talk to people asking to wash windows etc. in parking lots but this guy is a little different and I do talk to him (without getting into details as to why since it's not really relevant, but he doesn't scare me at all and is very personable) . He's been there for years and knows all the store employees and regular customers, many by name. Many people stop and chit chat with him regularly, whether or not they're giving him money or food or whatever. Is there anyone like that at this Raleys/shopping center that she might talk to? Maybe they recall seeing her that day or saw her acting a little strange?

Ugh sorry, feel like I'm kind of grasping at straws, but I just keep hoping something might spur a helpful thought.

One other thought just came to mind. Can't stop thinking about Susan today! I can't believe she hasn't been found yet.

If she shops at this Raleys regularly, have they talked to cashiers or baggers who might recognize her? They might not have seen her that morning, but if they know where she typically parks, when she usually comes in, or things she typically buys or browses, maybe that info could be somehow helpful?

I'm sure if anyone saw her that morning or thought of anything suspicious they have already called, but I'm thinking more about things that might be helpful and they don't even realize it could be useful. These only apply if she's a regular customer there, but I'm thinking of things like...

Does she walk around the parking lot before coming in, or after shopping? Maybe for a little extra exercise?

Does she normally have a bagger assist her to her car, or does she take the cart herself? If she has a bagger come with her often they might know where her favorite parking spots are. Was her car found where she normally parks? I know you (Kjac22) have indicated that's typical of where she'd park at stores in general, but if she's a regular at this store maybe they know even more specifically where she parks in that lot. Maybe they've also noticed if she typically removes her purse from her shoulder to get her car keys out, or if she typically has them in her pockets. If she usually takes the cart herself, does she drop it off at a cart return? (if they have them - I know some of the Raleys do and some don't, can't recall if this one does)

Any typical routines in the store? Does she check out what's fresh in the bakery? Things on clearance? The magazine or book aisles? Or is she more of a "get in/get out" shopper? If she's got a typical routine, maybe that would help identify if anyone else was likely to have seen her in the store, even other regular customers.

Anyone outside the store she talks to? At the store I go to most often there's a guy who I assume is homeless but I'm not really sure. I don't typically stop and talk to people asking to wash windows etc. in parking lots but this guy is a little different and I do talk to him (without getting into details as to why since it's not really relevant, but he doesn't scare me at all and is very personable) . He's been there for years and knows all the store employees and regular customers, many by name. Many people stop and chit chat with him regularly, whether or not they're giving him money or food or whatever. Is there anyone like that at this Raleys/shopping center that she might talk to? Maybe they recall seeing her that day or saw her acting a little strange?

Ugh sorry, feel like I'm kind of grasping at straws, but I just keep hoping something might spur a helpful thought.
Such good questions, NikB!

Interviewing people at Raley's and surrounding stores... Asking about Susan's "regular" patterns of shopping...could help trigger memories of that day she disappeared...

the community seems cozy (for lack of a better word, atm) enough that those working at the stores would probably notice the patterns of their community members....

The town where I live reminds me of Susan's town... And at such places as "my" Starbucks often start my coffees as I walk up to the ordering counter before I even give my order...

(I know Susan doesn't drink coffee.... But I was just using my experiences as an example....)

JMO

Depending on when that photo was taken, there was a period of time that wearing scarfs in various lengths and ways, was a fashion style, as I wore them, too. :)

That pic looks like it was taken by maybe a cell phone and is a mirror reflection. I was curious abut the scarf also TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08