Cadaver Dogs Hits and Info

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and I also recall GA spreading lime on their property..many thought it was to keep the public off their front yard and/or he was just fertilizing the lawn?? but occurred to me he 'used' that as an excuse to proceed with an attempt to cover-up any residual decomp just in case LE might possibly return with another search warrant on the property.(don't know how or if lime would chemically effect any evidence)

Each time we lost a dog, our vet TOLD us to cover the area with a bag of lime from the feed store. We used to bury them on the property, but cremate them now.

The lime wards off wild animals from digging up the corpse, so I would suppose it neutralizes the odor. What a jack as@ ! (Georgie)

Yes and I also recall GA spreading lime on their property..many thought it was to keep the public off their front yard and/or he was just fertilizing the lawn?? but occurred to me he 'used' that as an excuse to proceed with an attempt to cover-up any residual decomp just in case LE might possibly return with another search warrant on the property.(don't know how or if lime would chemically effect any evidence)

Lime is added to a lawn to increase the PH of the soil.

Yikes...did a quick search on lime and it's certainly not an original idea when it comes to murder and decomp.

Yikes...did a quick search on lime and it's certainly not an original idea when it comes to murder and decomp.

Yep lime is added to compost heaps to speed up decomp of carbon.

Composting website:

During the initial stages of decomposition organic acids are produced and the pH of the material drops. Most of the organisms involved in the composting process prefer slightly acidic conditions. The addition of lime to the pile will convert ammonium-nitrogen to ammonia gas and hasten the loss of nitrogen from the pile. Research shows that although lime may hasten decomposition....

I remember during the Scott Peterson case the tarp that was thought to be used to cover Laci in the boat was placed in a shed under a leaking [lawnmower, gas cans]? by scott I can not remember exactly what it was but it WAS leaking gas. The dog sort of hit on it but acted a bit confused. The handler said that the leaking gas plus the other fumes in the shed may have confused or overidden the scent.

Interesting that you brought this up. That is how I remember it too in the Scott Peterson case. My husband has a theory about Casey and the gas cans. He believes that she wanted so many gas cans -- Amy's, George's and even tried to get Jesse's -- so she could pour gas over wherever she disposed of Casey's body altering any dog's ability to track there and to possibly even mask the decomp odor.

I don't think there was anything sinister in spreading the lime. They were complaining that their lawn was getting ruined, they were probably using lime and fertilizing agents to nourish it or get it to grow back.

OK, as far as the gas cans - yes. Anything that could have any decomposing cells on it that are (yuck) rotting. The decomposing cells give off that gas that the dogs are trained on. We actually got real pieces of cadaver - legally through Tallahassee of course - medical science donated cadavers - to work with. We would put them in a test tube (tiny tiny piece like pinky nail size that was just flat skin), cork it up and bury it - deep! The could find it every time - my job was moving it without anyone knowing where I put it. It was amazing to watch. Clothes with the "smell", gas cans, even people's feet that have walked through the actual stuff and tracked it. Wonder if they hit inside the house anywhere? Actually laundry detergent does wonders for killing this scent.

As far as false hits - if a handler is lazy and doesn't work the dog and make them live up to their potential every time they practice, the dog gets lazy too. Dogs are smart. "If I bark and sit, I get to play with my toy and get lots of pets". They all try it during training. They don't get disciplined in anyway, just ignored and no reward. Usually they figure out it won't work but if it worked even once for them in training, they might try it if they are hot, thirsty, lazy or just not into it. I seriously doubt this with the LE/PD. They pay these handlers to work these dogs routinely - done on the clock even. The dogs can sense the excitement and apprehension and know this is serious business. They usually work better in an actual search than in training! They love it - this is what they love to do and live to do! False hits do happen but a second dog verifying should shut up that argument quickly. LE uses a second dog on really important cases too so that the "false hit" defense has no oomph behind it...

Sorry so long - trying to get the whole info out there..

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge!

OK, as far as the gas cans - yes. Anything that could have any decomposing cells on it that are (yuck) rotting. The decomposing cells give off that gas that the dogs are trained on. We actually got real pieces of cadaver - legally through Tallahassee of course - medical science donated cadavers - to work with. We would put them in a test tube (tiny tiny piece like pinky nail size that was just flat skin), cork it up and bury it - deep! The could find it every time - my job was moving it without anyone knowing where I put it. It was amazing to watch. Clothes with the "smell", gas cans, even people's feet that have walked through the actual stuff and tracked it. Wonder if they hit inside the house anywhere? Actually laundry detergent does wonders for killing this scent.

As far as false hits - if a handler is lazy and doesn't work the dog and make them live up to their potential every time they practice, the dog gets lazy too. Dogs are smart. "If I bark and sit, I get to play with my toy and get lots of pets". They all try it during training. They don't get disciplined in anyway, just ignored and no reward. Usually they figure out it won't work but if it worked even once for them in training, they might try it if they are hot, thirsty, lazy or just not into it. I seriously doubt this with the LE/PD. They pay these handlers to work these dogs routinely - done on the clock even. The dogs can sense the excitement and apprehension and know this is serious business. They usually work better in an actual search than in training! They love it - this is what they love to do and live to do! False hits do happen but a second dog verifying should shut up that argument quickly. LE uses a second dog on really important cases too so that the "false hit" defense has no oomph behind it...

Sorry so long - trying to get the whole info out there..

Perfect info. I think it's odd when people question LE Dogs. It's different, i guess, when you have worked with these types of dogs. Have you ever scent trained a drug dog, Cocoa Mom? My dog's trainer trains the dogs for our local law enforcement. It is fascinating to watch.

I don't think there was anything sinister in spreading the lime. They were complaining that their lawn was getting ruined, they were probably using lime and fertilizing agents to nourish it or get it to grow back.

Sure...........in their BACK yard? How many people were protesting there?

They put the lime in the backyard? They have a dog. I think Lime isn't good for animals as far as at least breathing it in. Perhaps it has to be watered in which makes it ok. IDK if a pet got it on its feet and licked it, what would happen.

I read a book many years ago about an old Nazi who was hiding in the US and his identity was discovered by a fascinated teen neighbor. They both decided to kill old vagrants and bury them in his dirt-floor cellar. They liberally spread lime over cellar.

this sheds a different light over George and Cindy's obstruction. who does this kind of yard work in full florida summer? isn't fertilizer for spring/fall?

These threads are sooo different that I can't understand why they were merged? I seriously thought there was a new hit in the new search location when I first opened this up. Very confusing. I get merging on the same topics but these aren't the same IMO. :waitasec:

Anyhow, no new hits. Although I hope to hear of one soon.

No new "hits." The article just says they are using cadaver dogs in their searches of "new locations."

Interesting all of a sudden Baez is saying she won't tell ............

To quote the article:

Investigators used cadaver dogs to search both wooded areas that are not far from where Casey Anthony lives with her parents. One is near the Amscot at Goldenrod and Highway 50 where Casey abandoned her car in late June. Investigators have searched the area more than once with cadaver dogs.

The other area is closer to Orlando International Airport, where a driver told investigators she saw a car like Casey's white Pontiac Sunfire parked in the median days after Caylee disappeared and she saw someone slight of build wearing a baseball cap and what looked like athletic wear walk out of the woods, someone she believes could have been Casey. It was odd to her because it's not a popular spot for joggers.

Thursday, Casey's attorney said it's not in her best interest to tell what she knows about where Caylee is.

"It does her no good to show her cards to give the prosecution any advantage they have to put her away for life," Jose Baez said.

Judging by what he said, it would seem that Casey would get herself into trouble by telling what she knows about Caylee's whereabouts.

I read a book many years ago about an old Nazi who was hiding in the US and his identity was discovered by a fascinated teen neighbor. They both decided to kill old vagrants and bury them in his dirt-floor cellar. They liberally spread lime over cellar.

this sheds a different light over George and Cindy's obstruction. who does this kind of yard work in full florida summer? isn't fertilizer for spring/fall?

I live in Florida and many who are in to having a lawn look like a golf course DO fertilize a couple times a year. AND, at the same time, they turn on their sprinkler systems to saturate the nutrients into the ground otherwise you can cook your lawn and burn the root system particularily if it's 95degrees with the sun beating down on you. Straight lime is used to alter the Ph-when too much is used, mushrooms grow. IF lime gets on your skin, it can cause little burn marks. In a past post I was merely pointing out that GA conveniently fertilized the lawn at a strategic time...possibly an effort to thwart off or confuse the dogs if LE returned with a new search warrant on their property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor