Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Western RV does repairs and maintainence, as well as old and new RV sales. I really wonder if they do any storage... I do wonder though if it is the Chrysler there, the more I think about it because it would be just off of East Lake Ramp. If I lived any closer I would drive around and check it out! Lol! I am very curious. The article doesn't specify if they were just searching on the 19th or if they were still there on the 24th when the article was published...

I was also wondering if it was released if DG was employed at the time of his arrest? I haven't been able to find anything about it at all.

I'm not sure the location address, it's driving me crazy. I just noticed now (oops) it says 'Calgary Search and Rescue Police blocked off the entrance to the former Cam Clark Ford building off of East Lake Ramp on July 19 (BBM) so it's not right on East Lake Ramp, but off of it.

I think DG was working on the farm, not formally employed by an employer IIRC.

Read the readers comments of the article. There is one that is kind of creepy. JMO

YES, I totally agree, I know which one you mean. I just checked on the name to go to the profile, but it's private. Very creepy.

July 19 for sure as I saw it. Not sure when they started or finished.

Sorry this was in response to daniela40 question.

View attachment 55630
FWIW-This is where the police had blocked off in Airdrie. There was a sign up that said something about an investigation in progress. And the two police vehicles had the road blocked. DG parents place (from my understanding) is just East (right) of this on Veterans Blvd (Hwy 567) then north (left) onto RR 291 (just basing the RR 291 as the road their acreage is on based on previous info on here and news links) and somewhere on that road. So pretty close to the area.

Thanks so much! I'm not so good with maps. Now I just wonder what the building is now that they were searching? Is it empty? Is it a business operation? Is it storage? What is the building? Kind of glad it wasn't an RV business (my imagination thought of too many possibilities, and not to mention we don't need anymore Breaking Bad similarities!)

Thanks so much! I'm not so good with maps. Now I just wonder what the building is now that they were searching? Is it empty? Is it a business operation? Is it storage? What is the building? Kind of glad it wasn't an RV business (my imagination thought of too many possibilities, and not to mention we don't need anymore Breaking Bad similarities!)
I don't know about that. The Cam Clark Ford dealership moved July 2012 North of Veterans Blvd http://m.airdriecityview.com/articl...business-changes-location&template=JQMArticle

July 19 for sure as I saw it. Not sure when they started or finished.

Sorry this was in response to daniela40 question.

Yes, the search was July 19th, but this was only published in MSM yesterday as far as I know. I stumbled upon it today, so LE is obviously keeping it hush hush.

FWIW-This is where the police had blocked off in Airdrie on July 19. Right at the intersection (on the zoomed in map) There was a sign up that said something about an investigation in progress. And the two police vehicles had the road blocked. DG parents place (from my understanding) is just East (right) of this on Veterans Blvd (Hwy 567) then north (left) onto RR 291 (just basing the RR 291 as the road their acreage is on based on previous info on here and news links) and somewhere on that road. So pretty close to the area.

Excellent maps, I'm on google maps trying to move around on the area you zoomed in on by 567 and the Blvd to see what businesses/buildings are there. Also trying to compare the scenery on google maps to background in the article photo.

Talk of RV's makes me remember how DG's parents were supposed to be camping when everything was happening.

Very coincidental indeed if the building is an RV place, but still trying to find out what the building is. Hopefully one of us WS'ers can find out.

Read the readers comments of the article. There is one that is kind of creepy. JMO

That person is a sick troll IMO. That's why I am grateful for this site - people can discuss this case in a respectful and intelligent manner. What a creep...

I have a question re first and second degree murder charges.
If intent can be formed in an instant--long enough to decide whether to kill or to walk away--shouldn't Nathan's presumed murder also be tried as first degree?

I think we sometimes get confused about the definition of second degree murder because people like Ms Nancy Grace repeatedly exclaims that it only takes a second to formulate intent. In her definition, there is no such thing as second degree murder. In this case, there was a planned a deliberate intent to murder Alvin and Kathryn Liknes. The suspect had no plan to murder the five year old child, who was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. It would be true that after discovering the child at the home, he made the decision to murder that child, but I think that fall under the category of taking action to ensure that he got away with the crime ... an afterthought ... not a plan.

First degree murder is planned and deliberate, all murder that is not planned and deliberate, such as eliminating a witness, is second degree murder.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-231.html

Okay, this matched the news article photo and low and behold *if* the same building, it could be an RV Rental Place however, I think the Google maps image is from 2012 and the news article is current with no sign (maybe no business there now??) Uploaded news article pic and google maps pic for comparison.
bilde.jpegScreen Shot 2014-07-25 at 10.15.07 PM.jpg

It's amazing how two little words can change the whole context of things. I had to do Merriam-Webster explanation check to help me really question both meanings:

Incident: an unexpected and usually unpleasant thing that happens and an action likely to lead to grave consequences especially in diplomatic matters

Crime: an illegal act or a grave offense especially against morality

The word crime makes whatever happened against the law and illegal, whereas if no crime was committed it could be considered an incident I guess.

Cherchri reviewed the actual footage and the officer said "violent incident". The officer is quoted in news articles as having said "violent crime", but that could be incorrect. The "violent incident" statement was the first that we heard that there was any sort of violence in the home. Prior to that, except for drag marks of unknown origin, we could imagine that the victims were forced from the home and were still alive. When we learned that there had been a violent incident, we also learned that someone was in "medical distress". It was almost as though the community was kind of eased into the reality of what happened at the home, until the final statement where it was confirmed that all three were deceased. Until that time, I think everyone assumed that until bodies were found, we could assume that the victims were alive.

What does "violent incident" mean?

Another interesting connection - the building location that was searched on East Lake Ramp is quite close to the Agriculture and Rural Development centre that has Western Barley Growers Association and Alberta Lamb Producers addressed there and other farming connections such as: Poultry Health Services Lab, Calgary Feeder Association and an Agriculture Financial Services Corporation branch are all around 97 East Lake Ramp area. Might not be important but thought to check it out.

Cherchri reviewed the actual footage and the officer said "violent incident". The officer is quoted in news articles as having said "violent crime", but that could be incorrect. The "violent incident" statement was the first that we heard that there was any sort of violence in the home. Prior to that, except for drag marks of unknown origin, we could imagine that the victims were forced from the home and were still alive. When we learned that there had been a violent incident, we also learned that someone was in "medical distress". It was almost as though the community was kind of eased into the reality of what happened at the home, until the final statement where it was confirmed that all three were deceased. Until that time, I think everyone assumed that until bodies were found, we could assume that the victims were alive.

What does "violent incident" mean?

Hhmmm, good question. When I hear 'violent incident', I guess IMOO I think of a physical altercation where someone is hurt 'once'. For some reason, the word incident sounds like it was a one-time act (a punch, a stab, a shot) and then it ended, where as struggle IMOO I think a long, drawn out fight that sounds more ongoing. I have no idea why I think that, but that's what comes into my head. I'm curious how you (and other WS'ers) perceive the statements?

Okay, this matched the news article photo and low and behold *if* the same building, it could be an RV Rental Place however, I think the Google maps image is from 2012 and the news article is current with no sign (maybe no business there now??) Uploaded news article pic and google maps pic for comparison.
View attachment 55634View attachment 55635

That looks like the same location.

Hhmmm, good question. When I hear 'violent incident', I guess IMOO I think of a physical altercation where someone is hurt 'once'. For some reason, the word incident sounds like it was a one-time act (a punch, a stab, a shot) and then it ended, where as struggle IMOO I think a long, drawn out fight that sounds more ongoing. I have no idea why I think that, but that's what comes into my head. I'm curious how you (and other WS'ers) perceive the statements?

What I think is that police have carefully chosen words of "violent incident" to provide context for then mentioning "medical distress" without sharing too much information.

What I think is that police have carefully chosen words of "violent incident" to provide context for then mentioning "medical distress" without sharing too much information.

I agree, it could definitely be and sounds like a 'softened' statement, maybe to not create panic or for the suspect to let his guard down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay