Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking out loud here. I apologize if it's already been said but I am hoping the search at the dealership wasn't due to a deal being made with DG to reveal where the bodies are.
If LE did find the remains would they advise media?
As it was stated up thread the search was on the 19th of July and noted in MSM on the 24th. So I assume no remains were found if not reported or maybe I have it all wrong.

I was wondering about something late in the night as I cant seem to get this terrible crime out of my thoughts. Is the farm and/or Parkhill home on a flight path for commuter airplanes and if so do airplanes have video surveillance under their carriage?

It's amazing how two little words can change the whole context of things. I had to do Merriam-Webster explanation check to help me really question both meanings:

Incident: an unexpected and usually unpleasant thing that happens and an action likely to lead to grave consequences especially in diplomatic matters

Crime: an illegal act or a grave offense especially against morality

The word crime makes whatever happened against the law and illegal, whereas if no crime was committed it could be considered an incident I guess.

I have been banging away about this for days. The link you provide is again a reporter misquoting what Andrus said. I provided the link where he was actually speaking to the press. He said "violent incident" I absolutely agree with you, the choice of word(s) makes a world if difference. Reports chose struggle, crime, grisly....... Not once did LE use those words. Violent incident

I was wondering about something late in the night as I cant seem to get this terrible crime out of my thoughts. Is the farm and/or Parkhill home on a flight path for commuter airplanes and if so do airplanes have video surveillance under their carriage?

My husband used to work at the airport and my brother in law is a pilot both said no cameras.

I dont believe parkhill is under a flight path. Airdire is rather close to the airport and youll often find planes circling there.

In regards to security cameras, very very doubtful. They would have to be very durable and ruggedized in order to withstand the temperatures at 30,000 ft.

Yes, the search was July 19th, but this was only published in MSM yesterday as far as I know. I stumbled upon it today, so LE is obviously keeping it hush hush.

I actually had read that article Friday morning and then you guys had already brought it up last night when I finally got into WS. If I didn't have little children I would go for the hour drive to figure out what this place is... Lol

Excellent. Thank you, otto.

So why would the lab hire him w/o a BSc?

Wait a minute...he attended U of A under his own name, right? But he worked at the lab while posing as Matthew Hartley so even if he had earned a BSc as DG it wouldn't have done him any good while he used an assumed name.

What the heck kind of *advertiser censored*-and-bull story did he spin the lab to get hired?

That's a good question. Maybe he stole one from someone he knew, or maybe he ordered one from China.

Just thinking out loud here. I apologize if it's already been said but I am hoping the search at the dealership wasn't due to a deal being made with DG to reveal where the bodies are.

Garland, if convicted, will spend at least 25 years in prison without parole. I hope, and doubt, that there will be any reduction in sentence in exchange for information about the location of the victims. He strikes me as a monster; someone that should be isolated from society.

I am very certain that the Cam Clark Ford building was advertised on kijiji for rent. I can't check if I recorded it as - am away from my computer. The Airdrie newspaper claims it is connected. No link cause I'm on my phone.

I've been searching "violent incident" within the context of the criminal code to better understand the concept. My impression is that the term "incident" is used to describe some type of act whereby one person violates another person's rights. Violent incident seems to relate to the use of a weapon.

"Characteristics of Weapons Used in Violent Crimes in 1995

Data from the Revised Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Survey provide details of violent crimes against victims, including the use of weapons and the level of injury sustained by the victim. As of 1995, the Revised UCR data represented approximately 44% of violent incidents reported to the police in Canada and, as a result, are not representative of Canada, or of any particular region within Canada1. These data do, however, provide useful information on the characteristics of offences involving weapons in 1995. The majority of violent crime victims did not encounter weapons

The majority of violent crime victims did not encounter weapons

In 1995, for the 120,100 violent incidents recorded in the Revised UCR Survey, there was a total of 126,668 victims. The type of weapon victims encountered varied depending on the nature of the violent incident. For example, homicide and attempted murder victims were most likely to have weapons used against them, however, they accounted for less than 1% of all violent crime victims. In fact, the majority of violent crime victims did not encounter a weapon. As indicated in Figure 2, more people were victims of common assaults, level 1, than of any other type of violent crime (52%). In addition, while sexual assaults accounted for 7% of all violent crimes, almost all of these were level 1 sexual assaults (96%). In both of these cases, weapons were not typically used (Table 1), and there was no physical harm or relatively minor injury suffered by the victim2 (Table 2).

Of the remaining violent offences, the most common were “other” types of assaults, such as aggravated assault or assault causing bodily harm (19%). In these incidents, almost one-third of victims had a knife or blunt object used against them (31%), while a very small proportion encountered an assailant armed with a firearm (2%) (Table 1). Robberies were more likely than assaults to involve a firearm, however, the use of knives and blunt objects was much less prevalent (Table 1).

Type of weapons similar whether adults or youths accused

The types of weapons present during violent incidents were similar whether adults or youths were accused. For example, both adults and youths accused of violent crimes were most likely to be involved in incidents where physical force or no weapons were present (65% each). In cases where a weapon was identified, 15% of adults and 17% of youths were involved in incidents where knives or blunt instruments were present. Firearms were the weapon least likely to be present in incidents where either adults or youths were accused (4% and 5%, respectively)."

http://www.publications.gc.ca/Collection-R/Statcan/85-002-XIE/0079785-002-XIE.pdf

Classification of Reported Criminal Code Incidents

Criminal Code incidents are sub-divided into four major groupings: (i) violent incidents, (ii) property incidents, (iii) other Criminal Code incidents (except traffic), and (iv) Criminal Code traffic incidents.

Violent incidents include offences that deal with the application, or threat of application, of force to a person. These include homicide, attempted murder, various forms of sexual and non-sexual assault, robbery, and abduction. Traffic incidents that result in death or injury are included under Criminal Code traffic incidents.

http://www.eco.gov.yk.ca/fr/pdf/crimestats_95-03-l.pdf

I have been banging away about this fir days. The link you provide is again a reporter misquoting what Andrus said. I provided the link where he was actually speaking to the press. He said "violent incident" I absolutely agree with you, the choice of word(s) makes a world if difference. Reports chose struggle, crime, grisly....... Not once dud LE use those words. Violent incident

Oh this was a response to otto's post #719, and I think his post was in response to yours. I agree the proper phrase was violent incident, my post was mostly saying how two words can actually change the entire meaning of things....word play basically.

It seems that, in the context of this case, per the criminal code, a "violent incident" relates to homicide, attempted murder, and abduction. Additionally, in the context of this case, "medical distress" was associated with the "violent incident", which would lead me to believe that when the officer stated "violent incident", he was referring to "homicide", or "attempted murder".

Oh this was a response to otto's post #719, and I think his post was in response to yours. I agree the proper phrase was violent incident, my post was mostly saying how two words can actually change the entire meaning of things....word play basically.

"Incident" appears to be a legal term in the criminal code, similar to "event".

It's interesting that the hotel that DG was placed at was the closest one to his home. IMO, LE was doing everything they could to facilitate DG trying to get back to his home or lead them somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay