Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is only 1 Motel 6 in Airdrie. The motel is located on the north end of the city
What would be the likelihood of someone simply calling the Motel 6 and asking them outright if DG stayed there?

That seems to be quite a distance from the location of the road block ... farther South. I think if there was any type of search at, or near, that building, a lot more roads closer to the building would have been blocked off.

Otto, one of the buildings is on Veteran's Blvd which is further north. I wonder if it was involved. When on the link click on driving directions and it gives a good map. I wonder if the locations are scattered around, I just don't know. Maybe it was a workplace incident and nothing to do with this case.

What would be the likelihood of someone simply calling the Motel 6 and asking them outright if DG stayed there?

Someone at the hotel would be in deep doo-doo if they revealed the name of any of their customers. Canada has pretty strict privacy legislation.

Otto, one of the buildings is on Veteran's Blvd which is further north. I wonder if it was involved. When on the link click on driving directions and it gives a good map. I wonder if the locations are scattered around, I just don't know. Maybe it was a workplace incident and nothing to do with this case.

The only clear info stated in the publication was this: "Calgary Search and Rescue Police blocked off the entrance to the former Cam Clark Ford building off of East Lake Ramp on July 19, as part of the search for the bodies of Alvin Liknes, Kathy Liknes, and Nathan O’Brien of Calgary" (BBM) so it's hard to tell if that particular building was being searched or the entrance area. If the search expanded beyond that point, I wonder if a larger area would've been blocked off?

The end of month is approaching and the Parkhill home will be turned over to the owners who purchased it from AL in December 2013. I wonder what the status is of the home AL and/or KL purchased in Edmonton? Was the home purchase ever actually made or was it assumed by family, neighbors and media? There seems to be confusion on that point. Who's name if it was purchased did the home in Edmonton get registered in as I have read the Parkhill home was in AL's name only. With all the financial woes of AL and KL how could they afford to keep afloat a rental in Parkhill and a home purchase in Edmonton? Albeit they sold their Parkhill home but assuming it was not financed to the max they had a profit. I realize it is none of our business the financials of AL and KL but respectfully just trying to make sense of things. I wonder to myself had the family not had the estate sale if the suspect would have taken the chance and committed the crimes. Was this a perfect storm between estate sale, AL and KL moving away, Winter Petroleum foreclosing, AL and KL selling their home in Dec 2013 and that irked suspect if a profit was made by family and they appeared to have dodged a bullet once again in suspect's mind. It would seem logical that AL would discuss things with his son and who knows if PG told suspect.

The end of month is approaching and the Parkhill home will be turned over to the owners who purchased it from AL in December 2013. I wonder what the status is of the home AL and/or KL purchased in Edmonton? Was the home purchase ever actually made or was it assumed by family, neighbors and media? There seems to be confusion on that point. Who's name if it was purchased did the home in Edmonton get registered in as I have read the Parkhill home was in AL's name only. With all the financial woes of AL and KL how could they afford to keep afloat a rental in Parkhill and a home purchase in Edmonton? Albeit they sold their Parkhill home but assuming it was not financed to the max they had a profit. I realize it is none of our business the financials of AL and KL but respectfully just trying to make sense of things. I wonder to myself had the family not had the estate sale if the suspect would have taken the chance and committed the crimes. Was this a perfect storm between estate sale, AL and KL moving away, Winter Petroleum foreclosing, AL and KL selling their home in Dec 2013 and that irked suspect if a profit was made by family and they appeared to have dodged a bullet once again in suspect's mind. It would seem logical that AL would discuss things with his son and who knows if PG told suspect.

According to early statements, the couple had purchased a condo in Mexico, and a home in Edmonton. I did see one article naming Evansburg rather than Edmonton. I don't think that anyone that owns two homes in two countries is having financial woes. If they had not re-mortgaged the home, then based on property values 17-25 years ago, they purchased the home for about $150-200,000 and they had a capital gain of half a million dollars. There were also several oil companies that were set up, and then shut down over the last 15 years. It's quite possible that Winter Petroleum (owned by A. Liknes) paid those companies (owned by A. Liknes) for some sort of service, giving A. Liknes a profit on those delisted companies, and at the same time removing assets from Winter Petroleum ... that's speculation ... but I am very curious about all those companies simultaneously owned by one person.

According to early statements, the couple had purchased a condo in Mexico, and a home in Edmonton. I did see one article naming Evansburg rather than Edmonton. I don't think that anyone that owns two homes in two countries is having financial woes. If they had not re-mortgaged the home, then based on property values 17-25 years ago, they purchased the home for about $150-200,000 and they had a capital gain of half a million dollars. There were also several oil companies that were set up, and then shut down over the last 15 years. It's quite possible that Winter Petroleum (owned by A. Liknes) paid those companies (owned by A. Liknes) for some sort of service, giving A. Liknes a profit on those delisted companies, and at the same time removing assets from Winter Petroleum ... that's speculation ... but I am very curious about all those companies simultaneously owned by one person.

Well researched otto. I can surmise suspect felt cheated on many levels by DG.

It's interesting that the hotel that DG was placed at was the closest one to his home. IMO, LE was doing everything they could to facilitate DG trying to get back to his home or lead them somewhere.
LE don't place people in hotels, it would most likely have been arranged by DG's lawyer or a family member or friend if he has any contact with them.

Well researched otto. I can surmise suspect felt cheated on many levels by DG.

I agree that the estate sale might have been the last straw in the mind of the accused, and that he felt cheated when his name was not included as a co-inventor on the patent that he altered. The accused may have imagined that Liknes had sold the patent and was retiring on the proceeds. At some point, the accused moved beyond wanting his rights respected to wanting pure revenge. It's mind boggling that he decided to deprive Alvin Liknes of life on the basis of having his name omitted from a patent design, but at the same time, I think that the accused must have believed that Alvin was retiring on money that he deserved.

If Alvin's 2013 patent is followed, it's possible to see that other patents were based on the 2013 design. I believe it was the 2011 design that did not work, but it looks like the 2013 design did work, as there are several other patents registered using the same principles:

Looking at the patent drawings from 2010 and 2013, there appear to be some significant modifications/simplifications:

2010 http://www.faqs.org/patents/imgfull/20100071891_01
2013 http://www.faqs.org/patents/imgfull/20130020069_01

In 2014, new patents were issued to different people that based their idea on the 2013 patent.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100071891
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20130126151
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140014318

Something else I came across with patents and the oil industry is that it is only in the last 15 years (or so) that patents were submitted for oil and gas extraction processes. It has created problems for oil companies because there are only so many methods of extraction, and they are methods have been used for a long time. Patenting the method can interfere with business.

Sorry if this has been posted already but I just found another article about the GP helicopter company. Interesting quote about what JO found when she entered the house. I hadn't heard if described that way.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2014/07/24/gp-company-aiding-police-in-murder-investigation
From that article:

"Jen goes to pick up Nathan and there’s lots of blood and no one there. "

That helps explain what we have be trying to decipher about the crime scene.

Sorry if this has been posted already but I just found another article about the GP helicopter company. Interesting quote about what JO found when she entered the house. I hadn't heard if described that way.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2014/07/24/gp-company-aiding-police-in-murder-investigation

There are problems with fact checking (link). This is incorrect:

"Greg Head, brother to Grovedale’s Mike Head who is president of Vieworx, lives in the south Calgary neighbourhood of Parkhill. Originally from the Grande Prairie area, Greg moved to Calgary in 2005 and lives next door to Nathan’s parents, Rod and Jennifer O’Brien."

Greg Head is a neighbour of the Obriens, but they don't live in Parkhill.

This is different from what police have reported, so it could only have come from Nathan's mom (or it's another error):

"“You always hear people say, ‘Our worst fear is outliving our child,’ and you know in this case it’s even compounded. I mean, you start with June (30), Jen goes to pick up Nathan and there’s lots of blood and no one there. And that’s where it starts and then for two weeks…you have some hope and then you don’t have hope,” said Greg."

I wonder if the time, helicopter, software and expertise are being donated by the company, paid for by donations, or included as part of the costs of the police investigation.

From that article:

"Jen goes to pick up Nathan and there’s lots of blood and no one there. "

That helps explain what we have be trying to decipher about the crime scene.

That's from the neighbour of Nathan's parents. It could be true.
It kind of confirms what we heard from police ... that there was "violent incident" with "medical distress" where the Medical Examiner was in attendance, which implies that there was a homicide, or attempted murder ... which, in the absence of a body, also implies a lot of blood.

I wonder if there is a self-serve car wash bay in the vicinity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWhitaker