Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many unlocked doors and open windows at night in Calgary!

I read a bit about the technology and didn't get that impression. Anyone that dug a garden, or buried a dog, would have ground disturbance.

"“What’s unique about their technology is it can detect ground disturbances at a very, very high degree of accuracy...they use this technology called LIDAR, which has been around for a longtime but the accuracy they have is a step-change compared to, say, even what the military would have,” said Greg."

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/2014/07/24/gp-company-aiding-police-in-murder-investigation

"What is LIDAR?

LIDAR, which stands for Light Detection and Ranging, is a remote sensing method that uses light in the form of a pulsed laser to measure ranges (variable distances) to the Earth. These light pulses—combined with other data recorded by the airborne system— generate precise, three-dimensional information about the shape of the Earth and its surface characteristics."

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/lidar.html

I was looking for the word "donate" in the articles I've read.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...help-from-high-tech-gear-helicopter-1.2713772
Thanks for clarifying. I'll check my links when I get home. Maybe I read it in a FB page... maybe I imagined it! [emoji6]

In terms of the suspect being able to carry AL versus dismembering at the home which I don't believe was the case imo. What I can empathically say is this. I was in the Cdn military, a female soldier weighing 145lbs and was required to perform a "fireman's carry" of a fellow male soldier who weighed approx. 200 lbs and carry him several hundred feet all the while wearing military kit myself. It is all in how you maneuver the person up and over one's shoulder and it is very easily done even if the person is dead weight so to speak. I really do not believe that suspect dismembered anyone in the home. If that had occurred the original statements by LE would have been different and the forensics would have been more pronounced. Too risky for suspect and not necessary as I can attest to in carrying a 200lb male myself.
http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Fireman's-Carry

Count me as one. I have windows open 24/7/365... Never thought anything of it.

Either it's typically a very safe city, or a criminal's paradise. I wonder how the accused entered the Liknes home.

with a key.

Any thoughts on how he got the key Stan? PG unwittingly perhaps? Maybe copied when he was working with AL? For all we know when AL and DG were collaborating in the past venture, AL could have had unwittingly given suspect access to keys or he knew the code on the garage door. Would suspect possibly have worked in the garage with AL in the past for the patent collaboration? At some point in time AL and DG would have had to be on friendly and good terms presumably for the purpose of the patent.

Either it's typically a very safe city, or a criminal's paradise. I wonder how the accused entered the Liknes home.
Honestly, I grew up with my dad being a cop, and even then, knowing what he knew, we never locked windows or doors unless we were going away. I have NEVER felt unsafe here.

Posted some thoughts otto. Very puzzling

I can't see Alvin handing his house keys to someone he considered to be an employee. I don't think a key was used. I wonder if the accused had any lock picking skills.

from someone who lived (past tense) there.

Do you know that the accused lived at the Liknes home? Why would the Liknes family allow a known convicted to criminal live in their home when they were raising a son?

If all three victims left the house "alive" and against their will, would that not be considered an abduction or kidnapping? Wouldn't that qualify for first-degree murder charges for all three?

I can't see Alvin handing his house keys to someone he considered to be an employee. I don't think a key was used. I wonder if the accused had any lock picking skills.
Again, don't have access to my links but.... Didn't DG have some sort of record for B & E or something similar?

If all three victims left the house "alive" and against their will, would that not be considered an abduction or kidnapping? Wouldn't that qualify for first-degree murder charges for all three?
Absolutely... That's why IMO, they were dead before they left the home. Given that the ME focused his time at the Liknes home, I believe that is where they died, hence being declared legally deceased by the ME.

Agreed, however what I can visualize is AL and DG having discussions during the patent phase in AL's home office. I recall a kijiji photo of AL's home that showed two desks back to back with lots of evidence of cluttered desks with paperwork and flanked by bookcases. I can imagine when things were cordial in the beginning between AL and DG, he could have had meetings at the home not unimaginable since his son was dating DG's sister. Suspect clearly has the light fingered ability to take things that don't belong to him so he could have accessed the keys and/or garage door opener code later to return the keys once he got a set made. Maybe a stretch but in the right circumstances possible.

Again, don't have access to my links but.... Didn't DG have some sort of record for B & E or something similar?

Didn't see break and enter, but did find this ... including weapons offences. Perhaps a gun was used:

"He pleaded guilty to two drug-trafficking charges in January of 2000 and was sentenced to 39 months in jail, though in fact, because of the accelerated release program, he appears to have served only between six and 10 months.

Despite what the board described as “weapons and assault charges” that might indicate Garland, then 40, could commit a violent offence, it concluded his age, the fact he’d never been convicted for violence and a psychological assessment that found he had little potential for violence offset that.

Board members were concerned by his “20-plus years” of property offences and contributing “mental issues,” but concluded, “Your mental health is assessed as having stabilized and with close monitoring” by a psychiatrist and psychologist until what’s called his “warrant expiry date” in October of 2003, he was deemed a manageable risk."

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay