Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never followed a case before in Canada so I am wondering is it the norm to have so little updates since after the arrest. I find it quite odd that there is no interviews with neighbors of DG, school mates, former colleagues and so on. Is it the norm to have leaks in a case? Just find it disarming such silence from all aspects.
It is if LE does their job right and media observes a professional decorum with LE and respects their wishes. I have always found the two to be very symbiotic in Calgary. It is unusual, especially if your use to the America crime reporting.

It is if LE does their job right and media observes a professional decorum with LE and respects their wishes. I have always found the two to be very symbiotic in Calgary. It is unusual, especially if your use to the America crime reporting.
I live in Canada and do find this quite unusual historically with other cases. I pray the family will be found. It troubles me greatly.

Fingerprint evidence at the scene would have been useless due to the 200 people that had been through the home that weekend.

Reading back a few pages because I had a really hectic day and couldn't log on earlier. One thing that I jumped out at me (and I apologize if someone has already said this) - I've read a lot of posts talking about why DG may have committed the crime when he did, with many people saying it was his last chance before they moved, which I do not disagree with, but maybe he chose this time because of all the people going through the house for the estate sale. It would make finger printing impossible. Maybe he chose this time very deliberately.

If LE were searching a possible RV business (not confirmed) on East Ramp Lake for the bodies, why there? If it's an open, operating business?? Unless it's a warehouse/storage building for RVs…. I find the fact that they searched there extremely strange.

I know that Western RV does repairs and maintainence, as well as old and new RV sales. I really wonder if they do any storage... I do wonder though if it is the Chrysler there, the more I think about it because it would be just off of East Lake Ramp. If I lived any closer I would drive around and check it out! Lol! I am very curious. The article doesn't specify if they were just searching on the 19th or if they were still there on the 24th when the article was published...

I was also wondering if it was released if DG was employed at the time of his arrest? I haven't been able to find anything about it at all.

I think it was the other way. When they said NO may be with his grandfather, it was becasue they knew that KL was the one in medical distress and likely dead.

Could they have said he may be with his grandfather because DG is an older man who would look like NO's grandfather if seen alone with him? Maybe they saw in the video of the truck that NO was with an older man.

I live in Canada and do find this quite unusual historically with other cases. I pray the family will be found. It troubles me greatly.
I honestly believe that the CPS did an outstanding job with regards to disbursement of information and not giving ANYTHING away. They want this case to be solid and think the media also have somewhat of an emotional involvement in the outcome. They want the SOB that killed this family to be convicted as much as anyone else - I dare say they would gladly forego a story if it meant a conviction.

Reading back a few pages because I had a really hectic day and couldn't log on earlier. One thing that I jumped out at me (and I apologize if someone has already said this) - I've read a lot of posts talking about why DG may have committed the crime when he did, with many people saying it was his last chance before they moved, which I do not disagree with, but maybe he chose this time because of all the people going through the house for the estate sale. It would make finger printing impossible. Maybe he chose this time very deliberately.
I agree - I think it had a lot to do with the estate sale.

I honestly believe that the CPS did an outstanding job with regards to disbursement of information and not giving ANYTHING away. They want this case to be solid and think the media also have somewhat of an emotional involvement in the outcome. They want the SOB that killed this family to be convicted as much as anyone else - I dare say they would gladly forego a story if it meant a conviction.
I agree with everything you said.

Could they have said he may be with his grandfather because DG is an older man who would look like NO's grandfather if seen alone with him? Maybe they saw in the video of the truck that NO was with an older man.

Which would make sense but i believe they said that before they seen the truck footage and before they knew it was DG.

Which would make sense but i believe they said that before they seen the truck footage and before they knew it was DG. JMO

I just want to point out that if he really did lack a diploma, it's supreme irony because among other duties, a lab's QA Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the lab staff are properly qualified.

I think the first mention of not completing university was in that Tax Court Document where it seems that DG was taken at his word and did not provide supporting documents. But I also think I recall a WSer checking out graduation lists and not finding DG.

The supreme irony is totally suitable for a someone who is, or has, psychopathic traits.

If I was arrested for a crime I did not commit I would be pleading with anyone and everyone that I was innocent. It would have been a perfect opportunity to plead innocence with the media there especially with the questions being asked by the reporter. I would have answered with a passionate response of innocence. I agree, I saw anger, defiance and arrogance as well.

If you saw the Jodi Arias case she was on TV proclaiming her innocence. She even said they could give her the death penalty if she had killed Travis. She said she never was in Arizona. Lies and more lies to save herself. Then they pulled the pictures off the camera that was in the washing machine and guess who was there in her naked glory. So when someone proclaims their innocence, do you believe them or not. I think when they are forced into a corner they will lie to save themselves. Silence is his friend right now until the right time to speak.

I think because he did not know NO was there or have motive to seek NO out and kill him. LE wants a case with no reasonable doubt, first degree with NO leaves doubt. JMO

I agree that NO's murder was not planned in the way the Liknes's murders were. I think that a charge of 2nd degree is laid when someone is murdered in the commission of a crime, and when the offender ought to know that his actions would cause the death of that person. So, he didn't set out to murder someone (in this case NO) but did murder him in the commission of the 1st degree murder of AL & KL and he knew his actions would bring about the death of NO.

There are certain offences, sexual and kidnapping, where if the victim dies it is automatically 1st degree.

The 2nd degree murder charge suggests that NO did not leave the home with DG. Otherwise there would be a charge of kidnapping and because of the murder it would automatically be a 1st degree murder charge.

What is a good interpretation for "violent incident" or "violent crime"? What could that mean?

I believe that the phrase "violent crime" has also been quoted in several articles, eg:

""We can now confirm a violent crime occurred in that residence," Andrus said of the home of Kathy and Alvin Liknes.

"I would say somebody would be in medical distress."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/07/04/21784996.html

It's amazing how two little words can change the whole context of things. I had to do Merriam-Webster explanation check to help me really question both meanings:

Incident: an unexpected and usually unpleasant thing that happens and an action likely to lead to grave consequences especially in diplomatic matters

Crime: an illegal act or a grave offense especially against morality

The word crime makes whatever happened against the law and illegal, whereas if no crime was committed it could be considered an incident I guess.

FWIW-This is where the police had blocked off in Airdrie on July 19. Right at the intersection (on the zoomed in map) There was a sign up that said something about an investigation in progress. And the two police vehicles had the road blocked. DG parents place (from my understanding) is just East (right) of this on Veterans Blvd (Hwy 567) then north (left) onto RR 291 (just basing the RR 291 as the road their acreage is on based on previous info on here and news links) and somewhere on that road. So pretty close to the area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 34
View attachment 55630
FWIW-This is where the police had blocked off in Airdrie. There was a sign up that said something about an investigation in progress. And the two police vehicles had the road blocked. DG parents place (from my understanding) is just East (right) of this on Veterans Blvd (Hwy 567) then north (left) onto RR 291 (just basing the RR 291 as the road their acreage is on based on previous info on here and news links) and somewhere on that road. So pretty close to the area.

Sorry if this has already been stated, but when was this dealership blocked off? Was that today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members