Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares? Information is information( to be followed up on and verified of course) but, information nonetheless.

Well, I was responding to a poster who suggested that the police should not have leaked this information.

Highly, highly unlikely. When NO wanted to stay overnight, they would've made up an excuse for him not to, like too tired from the sale, or they would've postponed their "escape" for another night. It would make no sense to include the child at all.

Might not be so easy to 'postpone to another night' if it was a complex, intricate plan with many things set in place that couldn't just be changed/postponed. And who's to say that the reason NO stayed overnight isn't because was just plum tuckered and fell asleep somewhere in the house and his Mom, who I understand also had the youngest child with her too, didn't want to wake him up? It would be pretty weird and difficult, in a scenario like this, for Mom to say "oh look at him, he's asleep, I'm not going to wake him up, he can just spend the night and I'll be back in the morning".........would you expect AL or KL to be adamant and tell Mom "no, please wake him up and take him home"?

Well, I was responding to a poster who suggested that the police should not have leaked this information.

I think the police should have responded or issued a comment more straightforward if they are in fact sorting thru finances and paperwork. They are supposedly following up on leads which is a different interpretation IMO.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1492641/search-for-missing-calgary-family-moves-to-mexico/

Okay this may seem odd only to me but I found the neighbour's comments or retelling a bit...confusing...
He says 'the man' invited him in to see the house....?

Was 'the man' AL or a moving guy or a family member moving things to storage?

There were kijiji ads posted earlier in June...so was this AL before the weekend estate sale? If so...why would he invite him in 'to see the house' when the house is already sold?

If it was a moving guy or family member moving things to storage after the estate sale and disappearance.....who the heck would be showing them inside? I can't see a family member giving someone a 'tour' after what happened there.....JMOO

Might not be so easy to 'postpone to another night' if it was a complex, intricate plan with many things set in place that couldn't just be changed/postponed. And who's to say that the reason NO stayed overnight isn't because was just plum tuckered and fell asleep somewhere in the house and his Mom, who I understand also had the youngest child with her too, didn't want to wake him up? It would be pretty weird and difficult, in a scenario like this, for Mom to say "oh look at him, he's asleep, I'm not going to wake him up, he can just spend the night and I'll be back in the morning".........would you expect AL or KL to be adamant and tell Mom "no, please wake him up and take him home"?

It wouldn't be difficult " you know dear, we just sold off the comforts of home.... I think he may find this a little unsettling.... Perhaps grandpa can get him to the car without waking the poor dear..."

So a little different because passports aren't required for land travel but the letter could be requested if there was any doubt at all ...

Well if the L's did escape to Mexico for some reason w/ little NO with them and whatever vehicle they drove in, he was hidden from sight so that there would no chance of authorities questioning them about who little boy was and requiring them to produce letter from parents confirming permission to take him with them.

Had the L's ever travelled w/ NO out of country in the past and if so, would the letter of permission from parents be time-limited (eg: for just one trip) or could it be used for future travels?

Yes, unfortunately, there seems to be an inclination to read the post only, rather than the quote the post is replying to as well. So much gets taken out of context when you don't follow the conversation.

So you're saying it makes more sense for them to abduct him, rather than wake him?

"We uh... sort of had a romantic evening planned... hint hint." Simple as that.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1492641/search-for-missing-calgary-family-moves-to-mexico/

Okay this may seem odd only to me but I found the neighbour's comments or retelling a bit...confusing...

There were kijiji ads posted earlier in June...so was this AL before the weekend estate sale? If so...why would he invite him in 'to see the house' when the house is already sold?

If it was a moving guy or family member moving things to storage after the estate sale and disappearance.....who the heck would be showing them inside? I can't see a family member giving someone a 'tour' after what happened there.....JMOO

Al is the name the neighbour used for himself, he did not want to give a last name. "the man" he is referring to is the driver or mover of the moving truck company who let him in.

Well if the L's did escape to Mexico for some reason w/ little NO with them and whatever vehicle they drove in, he was hidden from sight so that there would no chance of authorities questioning them about who little boy was and requiring them to produce letter from parents confirming permission to take him with them.

Had the L's ever travelled w/ NO out of country in the past and if so, would the letter of permission from parents be time-limited (eg: for just one trip) or could it be used for future travels?

Do you think NO would appear uncomfortable with his grandparents, enough to raise suspicion?, maybe they told him that he was going on a surprise vacation without baby brother or older brother.

Al is the name the neighbour used for himself, he did not want to give a last name. "the man" he is referring to is the driver or mover of the moving truck company who let him in.
Yes...I realize that....AL *all caps* is grampa....Al is the neighbour....

Maybe they did have an older letter or just made one up. They could even have original passports and left fakes behind... its a stretch.

To me that's a rather poorly written article. It's not totally clear when this neighbor was invited over by "the man" to see inside the house. Was this the last night of the Estate sale (Sun night) and he (?Al Liknes) invited the man inside to see if maybe there was something of their belongings he'd want to buy s the estate sale wasn't all that successful and they still had many belongings unsold?..................or is this neighbor referring to recently........and "the man" being perhaps the new owner/the lawyer who would have taken official possession of the home (I believe it's been reported that the L's had leased the home from the buyer/lawyer until Jul 31) and he was maybe left with a lot of the L's possessions still in the home and he had to hire a moving company/movers/junk removal type service to come and clear out the house so he invited the neighbor over to maybe see if there was anything he (neighbor) might want ....and neighbor then saw part of the rug missing and evidence of ? cleaning (?deep cleaning of a crime scene-type cleaning) to the wall(s)?

Maybe the L's had some kind of agreeent w/ buyer of their home that all furnishing included except what they'd be able to sell at an estate sale.........?

oops...please ignore.

To me that's a rather poorly written article. It's not totally clear when this neighbor was invited over by "the man" to see inside the house. Was this the last night of the Estate sale (Sun night) and he (?Al Liknes) invited the man inside to see if maybe there was something of their belongings he'd want to buy s the estate sale wasn't all that successful and they still had many belongings unsold?..................or is this neighbor referring to recently........and "the man" being perhaps the new owner/the lawyer who would have taken official possession of the home (I believe it's been reported that the L's had leased the home from the buyer/lawyer until Jul 31) and he was maybe left with a lot of the L's possessions still in the home and he had to hire a moving company/movers/junk removal type service to come and clear out the house so he invited the neighbor over to maybe see if there was anything he (neighbor) might want ....and neighbor then saw part of the rug missing and evidence of ? cleaning (?deep cleaning of a crime scene-type cleaning) to the wall(s)?

Maybe the L's had some kind of agreeent w/ buyer of their home that all furnishing included except what they'd be able to sell at an estate sale.........?

Exactly. Poorly written....unspecific as to who 'the man' is....when it occurred....it says 'recently' ...well that is a matter of interpretation....

I still can't get over someone inviting someone in to look around...it just bothers me...especially if this was a family member *can't see that happening* or stranger *moving guy* ...after this tragedy happened...JMOO

Maybe they did have an older letter or just made one up. They could even have original passports and left fakes behind... its a stretch.

whoa!!!!! I would like nothing more than to see a smiling cherubic face on the news.... I have to admit that I did think initially that the seriousness of an amber alert would provide a fantastic distraction for a multitude of things. I doubt however that loving grandparents would overlook the distress that a young child would have at being separated from parents. ( and parents from him)

Are there any links stating the JO has power of attorney for her parents? I would think it more likely that whoever was named as executor of the estate would accompany police, or would be able to grant any authority needed by CPS to conduct their search. More likely, as stated up-thread, CPS forensic accountants were following the money and found leads worth following up. JMO

Agreed. With RO being an accountant and the fact that AL was not JO's biological parent it's equally possible that RO could be executor. By the same token AL's twin could be the nominated executor.

It wouldn't be difficult " you know dear, we just sold off the comforts of home.... I think he may find this a little unsettling.... Perhaps grandpa can get him to the car without waking the poor dear..."

We, or at least I don't, have any idea just how much of their belongings they actually sold. It was a long weekend and the weekend before Calgary Stampede, might not have had the attendance at their sale as they would have had another weekend. There may have still been a lot of 'comforts of home' left in there.

Agreed. With RO being an accountant and the fact that KL was not JO's biological parent it's equally possible that RO could be executor. By the same token AL's twin could be the nominated executor.

KL is JO's biological mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member