Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the reason for the not guilty plea is that this monster isn't hoping to get off if there is no evidence that he was at the house. I am sure they have other ways to link him to the crime though. Hoping for justice for the family.

I have to admit that from the reading the tweets it seems like the Defense is doing a solid job of making it seem like much of the evidence is not of a nefarious nature and unrelated to any sort of gruesome and horrific torture/murder.

Agreed!
I was feeling some relief wash over me a couple of times while I was posting the tweets.

Also, this: No blood, no hair, no DNA no footprints at Liknes home were linked to #Garland, Oxton says.

He was clean, clean, clean wrt this. He must have worn plastic from head to toe.

The defence is doing a great job going through the exhibits and minimizing their likelihood that they are related to a crime committed, let alone to the Liknes crime.

@JadeSleuth, thanks again for doing such a great job with the tweets! It makes it easy for those of us at work to take a quick look to see what is going on.

I have to admit that from the reading the tweets it seems like the Defense is doing a solid job of making it seem like much of the evidence is not of a nefarious nature and unrelated to any sort of gruesome and horrific torture/murder.

I think the jury realizes that everything found was not used/related to this murder. It's obvious he was collecting these things. When you are on trial for murder having a collection like that is pretty damning. The crown presented that evidence as support for their case and i think it definitely does support their theory.

Can anyone confirm for me that the photo exhibit of jewellery, teeth, buttons (or whatever those round items were) was collected during the 2014 investigation or during the 2015 investigation? If from 2015 and there being no continuity of the scene (burn barrel/fire pit) it is very possible that those materials belonged to Doug's parents and they burned them at some point long after the initial investigation.

Here's the thing though. Just because all of the items that were at the house were new and unused, doesn't mean that he didn't have more of these things that WERE used and then discarded. Why on earth would he keep a hazmat suit that he wore in a crime scene when he had a couple more under the bed? Why would he keep any restraints or shackles that he may have used when he had boxes of them? Why would he keep the shoes? Why would he keep any of it? It's the things that are NOT there that is the problem. And the few things he was unable to completely clean, destroy and/or control (video surveillance, aerial photographs) are the things that are going to nail him.

MOO

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago

Ross warned by Justice Gates that he "cannot give evidence" and to be "careful" here. #Garland #yyc

I think this was regarding Ross' statement about carbocaine being "topical" application. Carbocaine is a local anesthetic, not a topical one ... not applied to the skin, but local meaning by injection, and not systemic as in general.

http://www.rxlist.com/carbocaine-drug.htm

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Glasses found in fire pit were missing their lenses so could not be traced to any individual, Oxton says. #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 3m3 minutes ago
Now fire pit by south outbuilding, where glasses were found. Ross: you weren't able to find out who they belonged to? Oxton: yes. #Garland

[video=twitter;824679976029089792]https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/824679976029089792[/video]

I bet the family knows whose they were. Do the parents wear eyeglasses?

Can anyone confirm for me that the photo exhibit of jewellery, teeth, buttons (or whatever those round items were) was collected during the 2014 investigation or during the 2015 investigation? If from 2015 and there being no continuity of the scene (burn barrel/fire pit) it is very possible that those materials belonged to Doug's parents and they burned them at some point long after the initial investigation.

Basically his defence so far is "it could have been my parents. No proof it was my stuff or that the contents of the fire pit were from me." Pretty weak defence imo.

I have to admit.. the fact that there is no genetic material (hair, blood, fingerprints) etc linking Garland to the scene was a bit of a bombshell to me, especially considering the cuts scene on his head/face. Unless there is more to come, besides the shoeprint that can loosely be tied to him (although you could argue that it doesn't mean much as hundreds or thousands of the same type of shoes were probably sold), it scares me to think what this could mean.

Hopefully the overwhelming evidence from the farm (including the aerial photo) proves beyond a reasonable doubt that DG committed this crime...

I think this was regarding Ross' statement about carbocaine being "topical" application. Carbocaine is a local anesthetic, not a topical one ... local meaning by injection, not systemic as in general.

I think it was about a few things. Like suggesting the needles WERE used to test the gas meter, not suggesting the possibility that they could be. To make a statement like that, I would think you would either need an expert to back it up or the accused on the stand to say that's what he did with them.

MOO

Here's the thing though. Just because all of the items that were at the house were new and unused, doesn't mean that he didn't have more of these things that WERE used and then discarded. Why on earth would he keep a hazmat suit that he wore in a crime scene when he had a couple more under the bed? Why would he keep any restraints or shackles that he may have used when he had boxes of them? Why would he keep the shoes? Why would he keep any of it? It's the things that are NOT there that is the problem. And the few things he was unable to completely clean, destroy and/or control (video surveillance, aerial photographs) are the things that are going to nail him.

MOO

100% agree

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 28s29 seconds ago
More
Oxton cross-examination has ended. #Garland #yyc

MOO

I certainly don't disagree and we have many more witnesses to come and weeks or trial with more evidence. The Crown is obviously building up their story of events in order to get a conviction. I'm just thinking to myself that it was quite easy over the last two days to paint a horrific picture of murder and disposal based on the evidence that was submitted. We all have seen movies and tv shows that leads us to put two and two together in a gruesome way but I think the Defense team is doing a good job of erasing those thoughts.

I think this was regarding Ross' statement about carbocaine being "topical" application. Carbocaine is a local anesthetic, not a topical one ... local meaning by injection, not systemic as in general.

Absolutely! I immediately checked and it definitely is administered by injection - not topical. Awesome that Justice Gates stepped in with that warning. Not awesome that it was just left that way (for the jury).......

Basically his defence so far is "it could have been my parents. No proof it was my stuff or that the contents of the fire pit were from me." Pretty weak defence imo.

His defence team is just pointing out the obvious, which is exactly what they should be doing. They can't just let all that information stand without pointing out that despite the large quantity of "odd collection" items on the farm, LE were unable to get any direct evidence from them.

And DG does have a couple of sisters, who also had/have significant others. There were more than just DG and his parents who had access to the farm. In fact, I wouldn't doubt at some point the defence points out that there were no locking gates or fences on the farm to keep others away. And perhaps not even locks on some of the outbuildings.

Still won't change the evidence that they DO have that points to DG but it has to been brought to the jury's attention. That's a fair trial, and what defence lawyers are there for.

MOO

I'm sure the crown will tie it all together soon. I am looking forward to that. I am disappointed to learn they have what looks like zero evidence to tie DG to the L home. They will have to do a really good job proving what went down in Airdrie.

Right now, defence is doing a good job of pointing out the non-evidentiary value of items found. It's not illegal to own a handcuff collection, or parts of guns, or knives, or books about poison remedies, etc. I wish they would bring on some conclusive DNA evidence, make the case that only DG could have committed the murders. I'm sure they have it, I'm anxious to hear it.
IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 3m3 minutes ago
Kimberly Warren is forensic hardware engineer who can give evidence about electronic circuit boards. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
Next witness in #Garland trial is Kimberly Warren- she is via CCTV--Warren is a forensic hardware engineer

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 3m3 minutes ago
No objections her expertise from the defence. Warren's qualifications about to be read into the trial. #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 3m3 minutes ago
Warren will be testifying about the circuit board from a remote car starter found in burn barrel ashes on #Garland farm

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
Warren has been w the RCMP full-time since Aug 2013. This is her first time testifying in court. #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Warren is a civilian member with the RCMP. Testifying via CCTV from Ottawa. #Garland

I have to admit.. the fact that there is no genetic material (hair, blood, fingerprints) etc linking Garland to the scene was a bit of a bombshell to me, especially considering the cuts scene on his head/face. Unless there is more to come, besides the shoeprint that can loosely be tied to him (although you could argue that it doesn't mean much as hundreds or thousands of the same type of shoes were probably sold), it scares me to think what this could mean.

Hopefully the overwhelming evidence from the farm (including the aerial photo) proves beyond a reasonable doubt that DG committed this crime...

Let's be mindful that the truck was a source of evidence too. That is really good evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member