Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the key fob. Not to be a downer, but unless this expert can confirm the key fob is from AL's truck, the defence can easily say "how many Toyotas in North America had that style of fob?" And cast doubt on the evidentiary value. MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well if AL's is missing (among other evidence showing he was abducted and murdered at the farm) and there has never been a Toyota vehicle owned by a member of the Garland family then... common sense = circumstantial evidence. Every little piece of evidence paints a picture. Remember it's the totality, not just each individual piece that determines what most likely happened. Because we're not going to hear the truth from the accused, that's for sure.

MOO

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
Justice Gates: Kimberly Warren is qualified as expert in forensic hardware engineering-give testimony electronic circuit boards #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
Justice Gates is satisfied that Warren is an expert in forensic hardware engineering and can give evidence about circuit boards. #Garland

Re the key fob. Not to be a downer, but unless this expert can confirm the key fob is from AL's truck, the defence can easily say "how many Toyotas in North America had that style of fob?" And cast doubt on the evidentiary value. MOO

Obviously there are probably hundreds of thousands of these key fobs/circuit boards around and I'm wondering if the forensics folks can actually pull vehicle information from the chip or pull key fob information from the vehicles computer and match them up. I know that I've had to go to the dealerships numerous times to get new key fobs programmed and they have a specific process of pairing up the vehicle to the key fob. There must be some sort of data that can match things up.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 17s18 seconds ago
Warren said when she received the device the info said the two pieces were pulled from a burn barrel. She was to identify them. #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 39s40 seconds ago
Warren received request of analyze item from Calgary police in October, 2015. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 45s46 seconds ago
Obtains possession, visually inspects, takes pics, search for ID elements on exhibit: Warren's process. #Garland #yyc

Many of us here have followed this case pretty closely and have various preconceived notions of what could have happened so we are piecing together things as evidence is being revealed. I certainly I have my own ideas as well and I've mentioned some of my thoughts along the way but I'm also sitting here and trying to look at things objectively without any preconceived notions (ie. exactly what the jury would be doing.)

Good for you! It is really hard to be objective but that's actually what we should be. For me - just impossible. All this is seared into my brain and I just can't seem to undo my preconceived notions - especially since my guesses initially appear to be very close to what now appears to be evident.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 57s57 seconds ago
"I noticed immediately there were similarities..between the exhibit and the item on the FCC website"said Warren. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
She then began looking online as to what the key fob would look like. #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Warren told circuit board might be from key fob for Toyota Tundra found at Liknes home. #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 1m1 minute ago
Warren says she received info her item could be a key fob for a 2013 Toyota Tundra at Liknes home #Garland #yyc

Well if AL's is missing (among other evidence showing he was abducted and murdered at the farm) and there has never been a Toyota vehicle owned by a member of the Garland family then... common sense = circumstantial evidence. Every little piece of evidence paints a picture. Remember it's the totality, not just each individual piece that determines what most likely happened. Because we're not going to hear the truth from the accused, that's for sure.

MOO

True, it is helpful to the case if AL's key is known to be missing, as you say, the evidence paints a picture.
But as "devil's advocate" here, my response is that there were many strangers through their house that day for the estate sale, and isn't it possible someone picked up the key fob? MOO

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 44s45 seconds ag
"There was significant similarity in the general size and shape," between Tundra key fobs and burned circuit board, says Warren. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago
Warren determined similar size shape and features of 2013 Toyota Tundra key fob #Garland

Four samples were then ordered by Warren. #Garland #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 2m2 minutes ago
CPS asked if circuit board would match key fob for 2013 Toyota Tundra truck like the one parked in Liknes driveway #Garland

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 42s43 seconds ago
Warren received Toyota Tundra key fobs to compare to the burned keyboard found in a fire pit at the #Garland farm.

Warren was also provided a Toyota Tundra key FOB purchased by CPS from Toyota manufacturer. #Garland #yyc

Warren tells court she compared key fob purchased by CPS, and ones she obtained-to the burned evidence found in fire pit on #Garland farm

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
This is a picture of the Toyota Tundra that was found parked in the driveway of the Liknes home after their disappearance #Garland
[video=twitter;824697595503136770]https://twitter.com/NancyHixt/status/824697595503136770[/video]

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 39s40 seconds ago
CPS bought a '13 Toyota Tundra key fob fr manufacturer as well. 5 total to use. "Wanted to have a large sample set" #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 54s55 seconds ago
She did this to see if there were after market re-seller versions, said there were in some cases (1 of the 5 she had). #Garland #yyc

Warren looked at five different replacement key fobs for 2013 Toyota Tundras to compare to burned circuit board. #Garland

Warren compared all the FOBs she bought and the one purchased directly from Toyota. "I wanted to have a large sample set" #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 44s45 seconds ag
"There was significant similarity in the general size and shape," between Tundra key fobs and burned circuit board, says Warren. #Garland

Warren determined similar size shape and features of 2013 Toyota Tundra key fob #Garland

Four samples were then ordered by Warren. #Garland #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 2m2 minutes ago
CPS asked if circuit board would match key fob for 2013 Toyota Tundra truck like the one parked in Liknes driveway #Garland

Lets say it is the key fob for the Liknes truck. Why is it there? Who took it from the Liknes home that night and why? I'm drawing a blank.

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 52s53 seconds ago
Warren said there "were extreme similarities" between the fobs she examined and the one found at the #Garland farm.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 53s54 seconds ago
"In my opinion they were all identical," Warren said of all 5 samples. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 44s44 seconds ago
She then removed electronic components from the circuit board "i did this b/c the exhibit i received was v damaged from the fire" #Garland

Burned key fob was badly damaged, says Warren. #Garland

Many of us here have followed this case pretty closely and have various preconceived notions of what could have happened so we are piecing together things as evidence is being revealed. I certainly I have my own ideas as well and I've mentioned some of my thoughts along the way but I'm also sitting here and trying to look at things objectively without any preconceived notions (ie. exactly what the jury would be doing.)

Which is how we want them to look at it. I never followed the case so I'm kind of looking at it the same as the jury too. And after seeing all those things, I really want to know how he destroyed the stuff that he likely did use. The defence has not convinced me that the stuff on that farm has an innocent explanation in context to what we've been told about the hacksaw and the meat hooks.

MOO

Lets say it is the key fob for the Liknes truck. Why is it there? Who took it from the Liknes home that night and why? I'm drawing a blank.

Maybe one of victims had it in their pocket? Seems like a far stretch though considering they were likely in bed sleeping.

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 1m1 minute ago
Warren heated her samples to compare to the damaged fob she received from CPS #Garland #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Warren removed electronic components fr circuit board to make it like the damaged one from fire pit #Garland

"When these items are heated to that certain temp they fall off- all that is left is the circuit board" Warren said. #Garland #yyc

Good for you! It is really hard to be objective but that's actually what we should be. For me - just impossible. All this is seared into my brain and I just can't seem to undo my preconceived notions - especially since my guesses initially appear to be very close to what now appears to be evident.

I'm a scientist and very analytical by nature. I can fairly easily look at things objectively and adjust my thinking based on available information.

Burned circuit board matched key fobs for Toyota Tundra, says Warren. But also same for other Toyota vehicles.#Garland

Warren says this key fob would work for 5 vehicle models ranging from 2014-2016 models that would use this fob, including Tundra #Garland

Warren said there were five other models that used this particular fob #Garland

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 2m2 minutes ago
Warren says it appears that the item found in the #Garland farm ash was a match for certain models of Toyota vehicle - five models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3