Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 38s38 seconds ago
Earlier in the #Garland trial, Cst. Ian Oxton testified officers found a burned circuit board in fire pit on the farm

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Warren does "reverse engineering" -taking prod or item and understanding it from beginning (take apart, understand components) #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Burned Toyota circuit board was found in fire pit on #Garland farm. A Toyota Tundra was found in the driveway of the Liknes home.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 42s42 seconds ago
This is a picture of the burned circuit board seized from the fire pit at the #Garland property

[video=twitter;824690115645628416]https://twitter.com/NancyHixt/status/824690115645628416[/video]

His defence team is just pointing out the obvious, which is exactly what they should be doing. They can't just let all that information stand without pointing out that despite the large quantity of "odd collection" items on the farm, LE were unable to get any direct evidence from them.

And DG does have a couple of sisters, who also had/have significant others. There were more than just DG and his parents who had access to the farm. In fact, I wouldn't doubt at some point the defence points out that there were no locking gates or fences on the farm to keep others away. And perhaps not even locks on some of the outbuildings.

Still won't change the evidence that they DO have that points to DG but it has to been brought to the jury's attention. That's a fair trial, and what defence lawyers are there for.

MOO

I completely agree. Just saying it won't be enough of a defence to get him off. I respect the role of defence lawyers in our justice system and even though DG is an evil monster he deserves a fair trial.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago

Warren tells court she examines damaged electronics --extracts data from these items #Garland

I certainly don't disagree and we have many more witnesses to come and weeks or trial with more evidence. The Crown is obviously building up their story of events in order to get a conviction. I'm just thinking to myself that it was quite easy over the last two days to paint a horrific picture of murder and disposal based on the evidence that was submitted. We all have seen movies and tv shows that leads us to put two and two together in a gruesome way but I think the Defense team is doing a good job of erasing those thoughts.

Not for me. I want to know where the items that WERE used are. Because all that evidence indicates to me that he owns those types of things in multiples. We know at least two of them were a hacksaw and a couple of meat hooks that he got stupid and tried to keep, thinking he had cleaned them thoroughly.

MOO

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 24s24 seconds ago

Technical glitch. CCTV connection with Warren disconnected. Trying to get her back. #Garland

Not for me. I want to know where the items that WERE used are. Because all that evidence indicates to me that he owns those types of things in multiples. We know at least two of them were a hacksaw and a couple of meat hooks that he got stupid and tried to keep, thinking he had cleaned them thoroughly.

MOO

Very telling that he kept those 2 items when he burned everything else.

I'm sure the crown will tie it all together soon. I am looking forward to that. I am disappointed to learn they have what looks like zero evidence to tie DG to the L home. They will have to do a really good job proving what went down in Airdrie.

Right now, defence is doing a good job of pointing out the non-evidentiary value of items found. It's not illegal to own a handcuff collection, or parts of guns, or knives, or books about poison remedies, etc. I wish they would bring on some conclusive DNA evidence, make the case that only DG could have committed the murders. I'm sure they have it, I'm anxious to hear it.
IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no direct evidence but circumstantial is just as good. They have footprints from the exact type of shoes that he had a box for in his office. Shoes that are missing even though there were hundreds of other shoes on the property.

MOO

Let's be mindful that the truck was a source of evidence too. That is really good evidence.

I agree. I just wish they'd get to the DNA analysis in it.

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 40s41 seconds ago

Crown suggests calling another witness as clerk having trouble reconnecting with Warren via CCTV. #Garland

Who will confirm lab test results? A Lab Tech? Do we know the name of this person/people and when they are slated to testify?

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 49s50 seconds ago

Warren connection back. Evidence continuing. #Garland

Absolutely! I immediately checked and it definitely is administered by injection - not topical. Awesome that Justice Gates stepped in with that warning. Not awesome that it was just left that way (for the jury).......

A little surprising that the Crown dropped the ball and didn't point that out on re-cross. However, what would be the point? They are not suggesting that the victims were injected with carbocaine, as there is no way to have proof of that, so it's a mute point really. Don't tie up the jury's thoughts with insignificant information.

MOO

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 58s59 seconds ago
Crown is still establishing Warren's credentials. She says she's examined approximately 1000 devices since joining RCMP #Garland #yyc

Basically his defence so far is "it could have been my parents. No proof it was my stuff or that the contents of the fire pit were from me." Pretty weak defence imo.
Agreed. I don't think the jury will like it if the defense tries to insinuate that Garland's elderly (in their 70s-80s) parents were somehow responsible. :facepalm:

Re the key fob. Not to be a downer, but unless this expert can confirm the key fob is from AL's truck, the defence can easily say "how many Toyotas in North America had that style of fob?" And cast doubt on the evidentiary value. MOO

MOO

Many of us here have followed this case pretty closely and have various preconceived notions of what could have happened so we are piecing together things as evidence is being revealed. I certainly I have my own ideas as well and I've mentioned some of my thoughts along the way but I'm also sitting here and trying to look at things objectively without any preconceived notions (ie. exactly what the jury would be doing.)

He didn't have multiples of those.

MOO

True, but they are easy enough to replace. Had he burned them there would have been no dna evidence on them so it's good that he kept them. It's possible he kept them because he had a fondness for those exact tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahearn