Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, anyone think Garland will testify? Do you think the defense will call any witnesses? If so, who do you think?

The defense may called back his parents about the morning shower, but I kind of doubt it. LE did a great job following the truck..

His mental fitness ?

Oh man I have to leave about the time they start back up! Grrrrrrrrrr

Ok, the big question now, if they present a defence, what will it be?

The only thing I think the defence can do now is cast some doubt on the degree of murder in the case of NO.

Returning to the apparently contentious issue of whether the victims died at the house or at the farm, IN MY OPINION, the defence may prefer for an outcome where their client is found guilty of 3 counts of
Murder in the first degree or 2 first degree, one second degree, paint a picture of the victims dying at the home (horrible enough) and disposed of at the farm VERSUS 3 counts of first degree, with the theory in place that he held them captive and tortured them before their death.

Why should it matter? To a defence lawyer, imo, they will be grasping at the tiniest straw they can to represent the interests of their client. Sometime down the road, it might make a difference in sentencing, or parole eligibility (I know, fat chance) or even where he serves time. Or some other factor I haven't considered. I am not a lawyer.

All this is speculation imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, anyone think Garland will testify? Do you think the defense will call any witnesses? If so, who do you think?

No I cant think of even one possible defence strategy that might create reasonable doubt. And usually I'm on the side of the defendant, innocent until proven guilty and all that.

I personally think we are done. Just so black and white. Jmo

Ok, the big question now, if they present a defence, what will it be?

The only thing I think the defence can do now is cast some doubt on the degree of murder in the case of NO.

Returning to the apparently contentious issue of whether the victims died at the house or at the farm, IN MY OPINION, the defence may prefer for an outcome where their client is found guilty of 3 counts of
Murder in the first degree or 2 first degree, one second degree, paint a picture of the victims dying at the home (horrible enough) and disposed of at the farm VERSUS 3 counts of first degree, with the theory in place that he held them captive and tortured them before their death.

Why should it matter? To a defence lawyer, imo, they will be grasping at the tiniest straw they can to represent the interests of their client. Sometime down the road, it might make a difference in sentencing, or parole eligibility (I know, fat chance) or even where he serves time. Or some other factor I haven't considered. I am not a lawyer.

All this is speculation imho.

Will he be allowed appeals, as we do here in the States?

Wonder if those cuts on his face and forehead are from the barbed wire fence in the field chase....MOO

Another point I'd like to make which will not be a popular point is to remember, the jury has to distinguish between facts and feelings. We are so angry at this horrible man and his despicable crime, especially against the child. But the judge will surely remind them of the law. I am looking ahead to the day when this is over, and hope the judge will interpret the law for us. Apologies to any of you who are criminal lawyers, but the rest of us are amateurs trying to interpret the law and we are mostly guessing, second guessing, and hoping for justice.
Moo
imho

Another point I'd like to make which will not be a popular point is to remember, the jury has to distinguish between facts and feelings. We are so angry at this horrible man and his despicable crime, especially against the child. But the judge will surely remind them of the law. I am looking ahead to the day when this is over, and hope the judge will interpret the law for us. Apologies to any of you who are criminal lawyers, but the rest of us are amateurs trying to interpret the law and we are mostly guessing, second guessing, and hoping for justice.
Moo
imho

I'm relatively certain he's going to be found guilty of all 3 counts, especially with the evidence on his shoes (AL DNA) and boots (DNA of all 3, plus only his inside). Those two items right there are a smoking gun in my opinion.

Moo
imho

:goodpost: very well said! If it didn't take up so much space, it would be my tagline.

Wonder if those cuts on his face and forehead are from the barbed wire fence in the field chase....MOO
I think they were there when he was first arrested... July 4 or 5th, not 100% sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay