Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say this, but I really do think Garland wanted Alvin to witness Kathy and himself being tortured. I think he did horrible things to them both - like pull their teeth out and things that we will never know.

If we remember he meticulously researched this crime at length, and we know we are only left with the scraps and bits of evidence that stacked up against him in spite of his efforts to go unnoticed- then we will realize that the vast amount of details we cannot know would likely scar us forever.

I can't think of another crime worse than this one - especially given the small child being sacrificed in his plan as well.

He deserves to rot and I have no doubt that he will.

I don't think anyone directly involved in this case will ever be the same person.

This was a heinous crime - torturous - and thankfully the sick SOB is going to pay for what he did.

Thank-you LE for catching him.
All true, but he also was a coward... I'm hanging on to the possibilities that he would have done " things" when they were dead.. and also I try to think they are not suffering any longer.. Fr%$ mutant..The worst part it's almost impossible to
to get any relief from this horrible case... whether or not DG suffers, grandpa grandma.. little Nathan... I feel so bitter..

I hate to say this, but I really do think Garland wanted Alvin to witness Kathy and himself being tortured. I think he did horrible things to them both - like pull their teeth out and things that we will never know.

If we remember he meticulously researched this crime at length, and we know we are only left with the scraps and bits of evidence that stacked up against him in spite of his efforts to go unnoticed- then we will realize that the vast amount of details we cannot know would likely scar us forever.

I can't think of another crime worse than this one - especially given the small child being sacrificed in his plan as well.

He deserves to rot and I have no doubt that he will.

I don't think anyone directly involved in this case will ever be the same person.

This was a heinous crime - torturous - and thankfully the sick SOB is going to pay for what he did.

Thank-you LE for catching him.

It has most definitely been the most heart-breaking, cruel evilness I have followed here. I doubt I will ever forget this trial and the feelings it has evoked.

Good post, thank you.

Praying the jury gets as much rest as they can tonight. As well praying for the families. I hope this goes right! Xo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think msm missed much from monday to be honest

I dont think msm missed much from monday to be honest

Can you tell us what was your personal impression of Garland during the Closing statements? Was he wearing the 1000-yard stare (ie blank look.)?

I've asked this myself many times. DG grew up in a smaller community where he has resided for most of his life. He would have gone to school with the same people for his school career... where are the people who knew him?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Are you asking about character witnesses? They aren't called until the sentencing stage, after the trial is over. I'm not sure if character witnesses are called in first degree murder trials. Anyone here know?

Sadly i was in overflow so did not see garland i can say what i saw was graphic and a terrible thing happened it would be hard to be impartial as ajuror i think crowns closing was well laid out i had waited for closing to miss the one thing and i certainly didnt miss it ull have to excuse me being slow to post i eded a day with my kids after that.... msm was very good at their job the only thing i dont recall reading was about the hair smudge on the wall being believed to be from nathan (i was only there until first break tho)

I may have missed this but have any of DG's acquaintances, friends/former friends, schoolmates, or former girlfriends come forward to give some insight on his personality?

I know he is viewed as a loner, but surely he has had interactions and minor relationships over the years. Or is it just too heartbreaking that people don't even want to comment?
Would you want to come out and admit to being 'intimate' with that freak show? I know I wouldn't but, in all honesty, I doubt he's ever had relationships ... that said, IF there's anything, I guess it will come out soon ...

Are you asking about character witnesses? They aren't called until the sentencing stage, after the trial is over. I'm not sure if character witnesses are called in first degree murder trials. Anyone here know?
No I'm not.

Sadly i was in overflow so did not see garland i can say what i saw was graphic and a terrible thing happened it would be hard to be impartial as ajuror i think crowns closing was well laid out i had waited for closing to miss the one thing and i certainly didnt miss it ull have to excuse me being slow to post i eded a day with my kids after that.... msm was very good at their job the only thing i dont recall reading was about the hair smudge on the wall being believed to be from nathan (i was only there until first break tho)

Thanks for sharing your interesting insight with us! I can understand it being a highly emotional experience and it was really great that so many people attended as a show of respect toward the family and victims.

Hopefully it will be all over with today, probably not but a quick verdict would sure be a good thing.

I've asked this myself many times. DG grew up in a smaller community where he has resided for most of his life. He would have gone to school with the same people for his school career... where are the people who knew him?

My personal experience in that same age group, having lived in a town at one time that was connected to a high profile media event, it might be that small town people tend not to be anxious to blab their stories to MSM when it's known the topic relates to tragedy, scandal and sensationalism. They just don't see that it's the general public's business, it's private thing discussed only amongst locals. Airdrie's not a small town any longer but it was when Garland was younger.

Another reason for public silence may also be out of respect towards Garland's family, his parents and sisters. If so, that's an admirable reason imo.

The Garland family moved to the Airdrie acreage in 1972-3. Acreage living was a fairly new concept at the time, with many oil industry people moving to acreages. Garland was in grade 8 or 9 at the time. He was probably never fully accepted by the town people or the farm community. He got into drugs, perhaps because he connected with the wrong people. His parents tried to straighten him out with the Lutheran University, but after completing the BSc and transferring to UAlberta, he returned to illegal activities.

My point is that he probably doesn't have a lot of friends from grade school, and friend he made through work in Vancouver probably distanced themselves at the time of his arrest.

Thanks Misty -- that seems it in a nutshell. Why all three fail IMO:

1) Only relevant for 1st degree murder charge. Doesn't matter for the grandparents because the computer evidence shows premeditation. Even for Nathan, unless he was killed instantly (which the blood evidence shows was not the case) I would argue (a) Garland made a conscious decision that he had to kill the boy too, showing premeditation, and/or (b) Garland unlawfully confined him in that spare bedroom before killing him, raising the crime to 1st degree murder anyway.

2) So what. There is a ton on non-forensic evidence putting him in that house beyond a reasonable doubt, and plus there is a perfectly logical explanation for the lack of forensic evidence given the haz-mat suits (or whatever their called) found in Garland's possession at the farm. Under the defense theory, no one can ever be convicted of this crime because of the lack of forensic evidence. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. They didn't kill themselves.

3) What happened at the farm does prove to me that Garland caused the deaths. That is the only "reasonable" explanation for why he treated the bodies in such a terrifyingly demented and horrific way, and the defense provided zero evidence to suggest any other reasonable explanation. Put another way, even if all we had as evidence was what they found at the farm, and the house wasn't in play at all (let's say it burnt to the ground) there would still be plenty of evidence to convict Garland (mainly the truck, the computer and the DNA found at the farm).

:goodpost:

Defence theory, condensed version ---

"Those people did not leave the house alive.”
http://www.theprovince.com/opinion/...s+revisited+final+garland/12907019/story.html

“They cannot forensically, or scientifically put Douglas Garland in that address,” he said of the Likneses’ 38A Avenue S.W. home.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...and-to-bloody-triple-murder-scene-lawyer-says

"What happened on the farm, that does not prove to you that Douglas Garland caused the deaths of Alvin Liknes, Kathy Liknes and Nathan O’Brien,” Ross said.
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...and-to-bloody-triple-murder-scene-lawyer-says

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:goodpost:

What do we expect for today? Would the Judge's instructions be shared by MSM as usual or is that a private thing? I've got my copy/paste hat on but not sure what to expect!

[video=twitter;831870759387541505]https://twitter.com/CTVJKanygin/status/831870759387541505[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay