Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
15m
Michael Platt‏ @SUNMichaelPlatt
#Garland looked irritated/ticked off as the verdict was read, but now back to stone face.

With 10 to 2, I think the judge will go with consecutive. JMO

I'm wondering if Judge Gates will hand down sentencing this afternoon.

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan now50 seconds ago
An emotional Justice Gates thanking jurors for their service to their community and their country. #Garland

I hope the jurors will use any counselling necessary to cope with the details in this trial. Tough work.

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan now25 seconds ago
Jury has been dismissed. Crown asks for sentencing tomorrow morning. #Garland

Reid FiestVerified account ‏@ReidFiest now40 seconds ago
The Crown would like sentencing at 10am Friday. The Defence would like sentencing next Tuesday morning. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 50s50 seconds ago
Crown says they're hoping to do the sentencing tomorrow at 10 am. Defence wants tuesday morning to look at case law #Garland #yyc

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg now37 seconds ago
Judge is in Whitehorse next week. #Garland will be sentenced tomorrow

Meghan Grant ‏@CBCMeg 4m4 minutes ago

Meghan Grant Retweeted Meghan Grant
That [75yrs] would tie w/ NB Mountie killer for stiffest sentence in the country since Canada had the death penaltyMeghan Grant ‏@CBCMeg 2m2 minutes ago

While I think this would be justified, I'd hate to have it become grounds for appealing the sentence.

In a way, having a parole eligibility period that's just a bit longer than his life expectancy might be poetic justice. On his deathbed he'll be desperate to live just a little longer.

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney · 48s48 seconds ago
Justice Gates has decided sentencing will be at 10 o'clock Friday morning, tomorrow

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg now37 seconds ago
Judge is in Whitehorse next week. #Garland will be sentenced tomorrow

This made me giggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There you go. Good job, jurors! RIP Nathan, Kathy and Alvin. Enjoy your new lifestyle Douglas.

Thank you to LE who did a terrific job to bring about justice in this case. Thank you to the Crown who presented the evidence, doing a thorough job and thank you to the jurors who did their civic duty to see justice is served in this horrific case.

Now here's hoping this monster is placed in GP where he will face karma. SC is too good for this monster as he would feel much too comfortable there being the loner that he is. He needs to feel fear he put his victims through looking over his shoulder all the time.

RIP Alvin, Kathy and Nathan. Justice has been served. My prayers and thoughts go out to their loved ones as they try to mend their lives going forward.
ALL MOO.

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan now50 seconds ago
An emotional Justice Gates thanking jurors for their service to their community and their country. #Garland
I really like this judge. Justice was served today. The jury did a wonderful job and the consecutive opinion from the jury was icing on the cake. I can't wait to hear the judge's sentencing.

This was the first trial I have ever followed on Websleuths. What a smart, funny, caring and dedicated group of fine, fine folks I stumbled upon here. I have greatly enjoyed your company and I have learned so much -- not only about crime and law, but also about the basic good and humanity that exists out there in the wide world. And that is as good a rebuke to the likes of DG and his ilk as I can think of. Bravo and brava to you all, the jury, the judge and LE. And even though I never had the pleasure to meet Kathy, Alvin or Nathan, they and their families will remain in my heart. God speed.

I really like this judge. Justice was served today. The jury did a wonderful job and the consecutive opinion from the jury was icing on the cake. I can't wait to hear the judge's sentencing.
It wouldn't surprize me if the judge gave consecutive sentences. THis trial seems to have impacted him as much as the rest of us. I'm sure he will use his common sense!!

This was the first trial I have ever followed on Websleuths. What a smart, funny, caring and dedicated group of fine, fine folks I stumbled upon here. I have greatly enjoyed your company and I have learned so much -- not only about crime and law, but also about the basic good and humanity that exists out there in the wide world. And that is as good a rebuke to the likes of DG and his ilk as I can think of. Bravo and brava to you all, the jury, the judge and LE. And even though I never had the pleasure to meet Kathy, Alvin or Nathan, they and their families will remain in my heart. God speed.

Stick around. We can use your help :)

While I think this would be justified, I'd hate to have it become grounds for appealing the sentence.

In a way, having a parole eligibility period that's just a bit longer than his life expectancy might be poetic justice. On his deathbed he'll be desperate to live just a little longer.

His parents are quite old. He might have some longevity. I hope the judge sentences him consecutively because even the thought of an octogenarian DG out in the world scares the **** out of me.

I love this judge. Re: Whitehorse next week
Because he lives outside of town, McDiarmid said he had to walk for 20 kilometres in -40C weather to get to an area with cell service.
“I went to the hospital for f@#$%*&# hypothermia,” McDiarmid told Gates. “I haven’t had a great day.”

That didn’t sit well with judge Gates, who is in the middle of a murder trial in Calgary and had to fly from Alberta late Friday night for the Saturday hearing.
“I haven’t had a great day either,” Gates said. “But it’s not helpful for you to get angry at me.”
The judge scolded McDiarmid for using the weather as an excuse.
“This is the Yukon territory, “ Gates said, “Winter shouldn’t come as a surprise. It happens every year.”
http://www.yukon-news.com/news/multiple-missed-hearings-cost-mcdiarmid-right-to-jury-trial/

CBCNN has a live report .. channel 113 on the west coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member