Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 1m1 minute ago
Sanders upset the statements express opinions on what #Garland's punishment should be. Wants Garland to read them as well.

This is ridiculous. Let the victims read their statements and express their feelings toward this monster. He has taken so much from them already, don't take this from them too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree, the judge is able to discern what is applicable and not.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 48s49 seconds ago
Some family members are holding their face in their hands, shaking their heads as Sanders has a testy exchange with the judge. #Garland

Reid FiestVerified account ‏@ReidFiest 53s54 seconds ago
Defence Gates says he doesn't read anything in the statements that causes concerns. #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 37s
Judge: "I appreciate you may not like some of what is in the victim impact statements"; we should let them "have a voice" #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 40s41 seconds ago
Justice Gates says he's heard things in the past he's had to ignore. "Should we not demonstrate some flexibility here." #Garland

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan 46s47 seconds ago
Gates is firing back at the defence. He asks isn't the point of victim impact statements, to hear from the victims? #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 47s47 seconds ago
Justice is pointing out this is their chance to have a voice... through their victim impact statements #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 52s52 seconds ago
Judge David Gates is asking the defence for some flexibility, says victim impact statements must be heard #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Says this is victim's opportunity to speak "it was a voice that wasn't heard for a long time" he tells defence. #Garland #yyc

Reid FiestVerified account ‏@ReidFiest 1m1 minute ago
The issue is that Defence doesn't have enough copies. Clerk will make copies so they can all refer to same portions. #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 1m1 minute ago
Sanders is referring to the full courtroom gallery, intense media presence, for needing to discuss these details. #Garland

Good Grief.

I agree, the judge is able to discern what is applicable and not.

I'm betting the family knew what was acceptable in advance but wrote what they wanted anyway. It's a terrific means of showing the general public what a travesty our justice system has become. Opens our eyes.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 52s53 seconds ago
Family members appear frustrated and annoyed by this delay over making copies-- as does Justice Gates. #Garland #yyc

Justice Gates, who has been patient and soft spoken throughout the past 5 weeks, is visibly agitated over exchange with Sanders. #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 1m1 minute ago
Judge David Gates is getting quite upset with the defense with the delays over making copies #Garland #yyc

Raffy BoudjikanianVerified account ‏@CBCRaffy 1m1 minute ago
After some more confusion, Justice Gates points to the photocopying machine in the courtroom to guide defence on copies. #Garland

Make your own d@mn copies then.

Bryan LabbyVerified account ‏@CBCBryan 46s47 seconds ago
Gates is firing back at the defence. He asks isn't the point of victim impact statements, to hear from the victims? #Garland

This. Gates is a very compassionate Judge. More need to be like him.

Sanders now making photo copies of the statements made; photo copier next to judge. Some in family section laugh over the scene. #Garland

Reid FiestVerified account ‏@ReidFiest 2m2 minutes ago
It looks like the photocopier is out of paper. Clerk refilling it. #garland

Reid FiestVerified account ‏@ReidFiest 45s46 seconds ago
Copying and collating almost compete. Clerk stapling now. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
we are all waiting as defence makes photo copies of statements so she can point out areas she wants removed #Garland

don't if I'm for or against a brutal paper jam right now

I CANNOT believe they are concerned whatsoever about DG - now is the time for the family ONLY to be considered IMO

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Clerk has had to make extra copies of victim impact statements for defence. #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 2m2 minutes ago
This is the day the victims' families will, as the judge notes, finally be heard. That is, once the photo copying is done. #Garland

So. anything they hope to gain by objecting has been trumped by what they've just lost in this exchange

You can tell that Justice Gates is just as annoyed that the convicted murderer of three human beings still has rights that must be protected. What about his victim's rights? I hope he sentences him to 75 years without any chance of parole ever!!! I really wish that Garland could do his time in a Brazilian jail...

How much you bet defence asks for a recess so they can speak with their client after he has read them??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha! Because ticking off the judge right before he hands down a sentence is a good idea .. that or its a genius way to create grounds for appeal.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Reid FiestVerified account ‏@ReidFiest 45s46 seconds ago
Copying and collating almost compete. Clerk stapling now. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
we are all waiting as defence makes photo copies of statements so she can point out areas she wants removed #Garland

don't if I'm for or against a brutal paper jam right now
Oh I'm up for some kind of Jam ... I'm pissed at Ross for allowing his associate to disrespect the families and court like this

Raffy BoudjikanianVerified account ‏@CBCRaffy 2m2 minutes ago
Douglas #Garland now reading victim impact statements in prisoner's box.

Um What is this right? I get the lawyers pre-reading, but DG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3