Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Note---- Evidence Marker 15 is not beside the house as indicated upthread

Evidence markers on the driveway of the Parkhill area house where the missing persons were last seen and where a police investigation continues in Calgary, on July 1, 2014.
Photograph by:

9990715.jpg

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...rance+Calgary+couple+their/9989542/story.html

But that begs the question .. how could AL accomplish leaving, given all cars accounted for?

The other side of that wording may mean they may suspect something happened to grandma, but that grandpa is still alive and a victim as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

IMO, it isn't that odd for Nathan to be the only child of three boys to have stayed with the grandparents on Sunday night. Depending on the grandparents personalities and energy level, having all the kids spend the night together may be a bit overwhelming or tiring. Additionally, I remember as a child that having your siblings spend the night with you seemed to take some of the fun out! Getting to be 'special' and stay the night there without your siblings meant you got all the attention for yourself. Perhaps the other boys simply don't have that same connection with the grandparents-- truthfully, different kids connect differently to their grandparents (at least, I see this in kids within my own family). Lastly, I wouldn't be surprised if the older brother was busy with his own plans such as summer camp early the next morning, a sleepover planned at a friend's house, etc.

I would love a more detailed explanation about why the brothers weren't there, but then again I really don't find it odd.

I don't find it odd, either. Am sure grandparents were pretty pooped from days of planning for estate sale then 2 days of the sale itself.

That is what I have been dreading. Ever since we noticed the strange wording stating Nathan may be with the grandfather (and no mention of the grandmother).

I had the same thought.

But how would LE be able to determine so quickly that the blood (if it was blood) came from the grandmother? They pretty much said from the beginning that Nathan might be with his grandfather - how would they know that? The drag marks can't be all they found.

IIRC, the grandparents had lived there for 17 years, so presumably(?) together. But I did question earlier why AL's FB said from Calgary now living in Edmonton, while KL's said from Calgary and living in Calgary.

Maybe he was commuting for work opportunities (oil field products). It's also possible that nothing was straight forward with this couple. We have oil companies and oil pump patents being sold by the husband, multiple business ventures with the grandmother, references to homes in Edmonton, Calgary, Canmore, and the US, multiple conflicting statements about where they were going to live after liquidating everything in Calgary. It is possible that a business deal was not altogether above board and someone that lost money wanted to collect given that the couple appeared to have plans to liquidate and disappear to an unspecified place.

The other side of that wording may mean they may suspect something happened to grandma, but that grandpa is still alive and a victim as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Right, I believe the grandfather could be a victim as well. Perhaps for financial reasons? I think poor Nathan was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Running about eight metres from a side door to the driveway, the marks look like dark liquid that was recently cleaned up

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/01/drag-marks-spotted-at-scene-where-calgary-grandparents-and-young-boy-went-missing

Yet all their cars are there, so that would mean that another car stopped behind the house (drag marks lead to the back, did I get this right?) and everybody, including possibly one or more bodies, left from there.

I sure hope there is some camera footage that sheds some light on this mystery!

Yet all their cars are there, so that would mean that another car stopped behind the house (drag marks lead to the back, did I get this right?) and everybody, including possibly one or more bodies, left from there.

It was said the drag marks led to the driveway .. driveway is at the front of the house.

One thing here on the wording. Alvin's brother Cliff uses the past tense. Just sayin'

Liknes had no doubt his brother Alvin had not abducted the grandchild.

“He loved the child to death,” he said.

“That’s his boy. There’s something not right here and we don’t know (what it is).

“I sure hope they find the little guy and my brother and his wife.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...rance+Calgary+couple+their/9989542/story.html

Maybe he was commuting for work opportunities (oil field products). It's also possible that nothing was straight forward with this couple. We have oil companies and oil pump patents being sold by the husband, multiple business ventures with the grandmother, references to homes in Edmonton, Calgary, Canmore, and the US, multiple conflicting statements about where they were going to live after liquidating everything in Calgary. It is possible that a business deal was not altogether above board and someone that lost money wanted to collect given that the couple appeared to have plans to liquidate and disappear to an unspecified place.

Yes, I keep thinking there had to be something unscrupulous going on here with these business endeavors. And then I think - there seems to be zero evidence of paranoia on the Liknes' part. I mean, they posted their home address on kijiji. and put a please come in sign on the door (and left it up well after the sale, 10pm at least). Sure seems they were not worried at all about being targeted.

My stomach dropped when I saw the "drag mark" photo. First I thought it looked like a cleaned - up paint spill (our neighbour just spilled paint and the pattern looks similar). But it does appear that the grade coming out of the garage there slopes upwards, impossible for a liquid to run out of there on its own. This appears to be coming out of the front garage (left side of house looking from street) and going around the corner of the house towards the side back (the most heavily treed side).

I can't imagine one perp dragging a 200lb man. And if there were 2 perps, why not carry and reduce the evidence?

This is not good. My only hope is that someone acted very impulsively, has had time to calm down and has stashed Nathan somewhere safe. But where?

I pushed the red saturation on the photo ...

I think the drag marks are at the front of the house.

Perhaps something was done in the garage and the perp(s) used large garage door to exit with them. Still astounding to me that nobody heard anything, or saw anything.......or was woken up in the night by "something" that they maybe can't figure out.

Surely to God a K-9 unit/tracking dogs should be able to determine something?....but maybe that's not so easy given that this was their home, their scent could be picked up everywhere from just their usual comings and goings, walk to tennis courts/park behind the home, etc.

I wonder if it's pertinent, the fact that there seems to be various reports of "where" they told neighbors they'd be relocating to.........the U.S, northern AB, Mexico. That's quite a variety.

How quickly did they sell their home I wonder? Were they planning for some time (months?) to sell and move away or was it more of an impulsive decision? Could they have been running from someone?.....though seems unlikely given that they had a rather publicly advertised estate sale.

My feeling is that the poor little boy just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe if this was planned, perps had no idea of the seemingly last minute decision for little boy to spend the night?

Did perp(s) hide out somewhere in the house after having been there at the sale.........lying in wait, so to speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties