Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, fairly new here. Lurked before; this one has caught my attention :(

The sofa bed ad on Kijiji says 'moving out of the country'
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-couch-futon/calgary/i-am-a-couch-no-i-am-a-bed-i-am-a-sofa-couch/603475171

Did LE establish the stains to be blood? Fresh? Could it be that a messy garbage bag was thrown off the balcony during cleaning up/decluttering and dragged toward the back of the home for disposal (are those cans out behind their house)? Maybe a sale shopper will have noticed the stains.

That's a heck of a first post.

Great observations. Please post more often.

I hope to God the grandparents decided to skip town and take Nathan with them, that is the best possible outcome right now. I'm still trying to catch up on this...does LE think they did not leave voluntarily? Has anything been said officially?

I hope LE can trace the Kijiji hits. I believe they did that in the Timothy Bosma murder.

Here are the exact times for the Estate Sale.

We are having a HOUSE (ESTATE) SALE

June 27,28,29th - FRIDAY 2PM-7PM, SATURDAY 8:30-4:00, SUNDAY 8:30-400.

Sale INSIDE the house! Address: 123 38A Avenue SW or if you are interested in any piece please call. This ad was posted with the Kijiji mobile app.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-furniture-lot/calgary/moving-estate-sale/601673918

I thought I read in the beginning there were no custody issues here? I assumed that meant no step parents, divorces etc. Can someone explain the family dynamics to me? I'd like to know if Nathan was the grandparents only bio grandkid.

I must say, now that I know that Nathan's siblings are 11 and a toddler, it makes perfect sense to me that he would be the only child sleeping over at the grandparents' house.

I thought I read in the beginning there were no custody issues here? I assumed that meant no step parents, divorces etc. Can someone explain the family dynamics to me? I'd like to know if Nathan was the grandparents only bio grandkid.

The grandparents were a blended family with four children from the grandfather, and two children from the grandmother. Nathan seems to have an older stepbrother and a little sister. Nathan is the natural grandchild of the grandmother.

So, are the recycling bins all put in one spot for the neighborhood, because it was pick-up day?

How close to their house are these bins?

Do drifters search the bins for cans to take back for money?

54da0022-d198-47bb-9e6f-69c4d1b38522_500.jpg

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/06/30/calgary-police-search-for-missing-boy-and-his-grandparents

It was probably pick up day and that's why the bins are out.
Usually they are put out in front of the driveways of the houses.

Hi all, fairly new here. Lurked before; this one has caught my attention :(

The sofa bed ad on Kijiji says 'moving out of the country'
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-couch-futon/calgary/i-am-a-couch-no-i-am-a-bed-i-am-a-sofa-couch/603475171

Did LE establish the stains to be blood? Fresh? Could it be that a messy garbage bag was thrown off the balcony during cleaning up/decluttering and dragged toward the back of the home for disposal (are those cans out behind their house)? Maybe a sale shopper will have noticed the stains.

Hello!

Great first post! Looking at the ad with the enormous benefit of hindsight, it says to me that the people are selling up everything for cash (so probably have a pile of it in the house), have no dogs that live inside (no animals on the lounge), with the address posted for all burglars to see.

They are moving, so they may well have dragged stuff out the back to the bins. I believe a pic posted earlier shows the rubbish bins at the rear of the house. Nathans mother must have seen something in the house when she went to pick up Nathan to make her call the police so fast. I dont know how long it takes for blood to be confirmed or ruled out. There must be more than drag marks to make LE so sure that all three are missing involuntarily.

The house to the left of theirs was literally a few feet from the door and where the drag marks were. I wonder if the neighbor was our of town or if it is unoccupied. I guess if it were in the middle of the night it is possible they just didn't hear anything. So close though! Pretty brave of whomever it was to think they could get away without anyone hearing, if that is what happened.

There seems to be a few blends within the family, but LE have been quick to say that there are no custody issues. I have a blended family, and we have absolutely no custody issues, or bitterness. I think Nathan and his little sibling are biological grandchildren of the missing couple. If big brother was with his mother, and the other sibling is a baby not yet ready for sleepovers, it makes sense that Nathan was the only one sleeping over.

Nathans parents must be going through hell. The poor mother is missing her son, and both parents.

That green house is SO close. Wonder if the residents were out of town?

It is Canada Day weekend, and a lot of people left to go camping on the Friday, so it would be a pretty good assumption that no one was home next door.

There seems to be a few blends within the family, but LE have been quick to say that there are no custody issues. I have a blended family, and we have absolutely no custody issues, or bitterness. I think Nathan and his little sibling are biological grandchildren of the missing couple. If big brother was with his mother, and the other sibling is a baby not yet ready for sleepovers, it makes sense that Nathan was the only one sleeping over.

Nathans parents must be going through hell. The poor mother is missing her son, and both parents.

I was confused because people were saying Nathan had a step brother, and I was wondering if the grandparents had more of an attachment to Nathan because of that.

Either way, I don't think they took off with him. I think there is some outside force at work.

The grandparents were a blended family with four children from the grandfather, and two children from the grandmother. Nathan seems to have an older stepbrother and a little sister. Nathan is the natural grandchild of the grandmother.

Otto--they are all boys. IMO, the older boy appears to be Nathan's half-brother (they share the same father), and the younger boy appears to be his natural brother. This is based on a 2011 obit for Nathan's maternal great-grandmother, where Nathan is the only great grandson named, and other "step grandchildren" are mentioned as a group. The youngest boy was not born yet.

It is Canada Day weekend, and a lot of people left to go camping on the Friday, so it would be a pretty good assumption that no one was home next door.

Yes - lots of Calgarians are camping this weekend. Or, the neighbours' bedroom was on the other side of the house and they were sleeping or showering. Or they had the TV turned up. Or any noise was disguised by the loud, howling wind on Sunday night.

Do we even know for sure that those neighbours did not hear anything? Maybe this info. is being held close to the chest for now.

We have had some significant crimes recently here and LE has been quick to let us know when it was a targeted attack, the public was not at risk, etc. They have not done that yet with this case. :-(

I have lived close to people, and Honestly I don't know if I would have been able to tell you if something nefarious was going on next door. Despite being a horribly evil act it can still be pretty silent, or at least not weird enough to arouse suspicion.

I just read through this whole thread and dang! This is some scary scary stuff. I have a very bad feeling on this one.

I wonder if whoever did this, took advantage of the fact that it was a "long weekend." Not too many neighbors around due to camping or whatever.

This is a very strange case indeed. And somewhat local to me. I live a 30 minute or so drive from where the incident took place and my mom lives in Calgary, just not in the area.

I hope to God the grandparents decided to skip town and take Nathan with them, that is the best possible outcome right now.

That was my first though too. Because I don't want to believe that it's anything more heinous. With tens of people walking through the home for 3 days, there must be a lot of DNA to sift thru.

No one though to remove the sign at 4pm? Someone show up after hours and "come on in"?

I find it truly offputting that there's more than one public reference to "step" children/grandchildren. *WHO* does that? As a teen I overheard an older relative comment about the pleasure over the birth of finally a 'real' kin (the rest of us adopted)... hurt... but at least that wasn't meant to be overheard. If you married the spouse (and his/her family) or welcomed incoming son/daughter in law (and his/her family) WTF with the 'step' - they are all your kids or grandkids now. What do you accomplish by enumerating them differently? I don't get it. It's the same to me as someone presenting "birth" kids vs "adopted/chosen" kids. They're ALL your kids. Their provenance is no one else's business such that you have to label them.

Yes - lots of Calgarians are camping this weekend. Or, the neighbours' bedroom was on the other side of the house and they were sleeping or showering. Or they had the TV turned up. Or any noise was disguised by the loud, howling wind on Sunday night.

Do we even know for sure that those neighbours did not hear anything? Maybe this info. is being held close to the chest for now.

We have had some significant crimes recently here and LE has been quick to let us know when it was a targeted attack, the public was not at risk, etc. They have not done that yet with this case. :-(

So I wonder if LE thinks this was a home invasion then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member