Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was my first though too. Because I don't want to believe that it's anything more heinous. With tens of people walking through the home for 3 days, there must be a lot of DNA to sift thru.

No one though to remove the sign at 4pm? Someone show up after hours and "come on in"?

I find it truly offputting that there's more than one public reference to "step" children/grandchildren. *WHO* does that? As a teen I overheard an older relative comment about the pleasure over the birth of finally a 'real' kin (the rest of us adopted)... hurt... but at least that wasn't meant to be overheard. If you married the spouse (and his/her family) or welcomed incoming son/daughter in law (and his/her family) WTF with the 'step' - they are all your kids or grandkids now. What do you accomplish by enumerating them differently? I don't get it. It's the same to me as someone presenting "birth" kids vs "adopted/chosen" kids. They're ALL your kids. Their provenance is no one else's business such that you have to label them.

Depending on who I'm talking to, I'll refer to my 2 year old brother as my half brother. It makes it easier to explain why there's a 23 year age difference between us.

So I wonder if LE thinks this was a home invasion then.

We have had a few recently in Calgary. I will try to find some links shortly. A home invasion gone bad? So why take the victims? (just thinking out loud here).

I have lived close to people, and Honestly I don't know if I would have been able to tell you if something nefarious was going on next door. Despite being a horribly evil act it can still be pretty silent, or at least not weird enough to arouse suspicion.

I live in a basement suite and I wouldn't know of anything suspicious was happening to the people who live upstairs. I hear noises up there all the time. I would just think "oh, they're just being loud again..."

That was my first though too. Because I don't want to believe that it's anything more heinous. With tens of people walking through the home for 3 days, there must be a lot of DNA to sift thru.

No one though to remove the sign at 4pm? Someone show up after hours and "come on in"?

I find it truly offputting that there's more than one public reference to "step" children/grandchildren. *WHO* does that? As a teen I overheard an older relative comment about the pleasure over the birth of finally a 'real' kin (the rest of us adopted)... hurt... but at least that wasn't meant to be overheard. If you married the spouse (and his/her family) or welcomed incoming son/daughter in law (and his/her family) WTF with the 'step' - they are all your kids or grandkids now. What do you accomplish by enumerating them differently? I don't get it. It's the same to me as someone presenting "birth" kids vs "adopted/chosen" kids. They're ALL your kids. Their provenance is no one else's business such that you have to label them.

I thought that was a bit unusual, too. Children are children, doesn't matter how they enter your family, only matters that they are there.

I thought that was a bit unusual, too. Children are children, doesn't matter how they enter your family, only matters that they are there.

I have many half siblings, and a step sibling, and I only bring that up during explanations of our family dynamics. I would never use half or step in some sort of public announcement, like an obituary. I personally have been left out of obituaries because I'm considered a "step", which sucks.

I live in a basement suite and I wouldn't know of anything suspicious was happening to the people who live upstairs. I hear noises up there all the time. I would just think "oh, they're just being loud again..."

And if a sale had been going on for two days next door to me, with people moving furniture and other items out, I would probably dismiss any noise as someone still loading stuff or something big (like that couch advertised) and never look over.

A couple of big questions seemingly answered here.

Amber Alert: Timeline of events

BY ERIKA STARK, CALGARY HERALD JULY 1, 2014 6:44 PM

The Herald has compiled a timeline of the events leading up to the disappearance of five-year-old Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, who were reported missing on Monday morning.

December 5, 2013: Alvin Liknes sells his Parkhill home to a Calgary lawyer. He continues to live in the home with his wife, Kathryn.

June 11-24: The Liknes family posts various ads on Kijiji during this time, advertising various household items and furniture for sale. The ads mention that the couple is moving and can’t take these items with them. They also advertise an estate sale to be held at the end of the month.

June 27-29: Alvin and Kathryn Liknes hold an estate sale at their house. Signs on the front door say, “come on in!” Dozens of people cycle in and out of the home over weekend. Neighbours who chatted with the couple say they were talking about ‘downsizing’ and moving to Mexico. Cherri Hodgins, a friend of Kathryn Liknes, said the couple bought a condo there and had been planning to move for several months.

Midday, June 29: Five-year-old Nathan O’Brien goes to visit his grandparents with his mother, Jennifer. In the afternoon, neighbour Peter Walton’s grandkids play with Nathan O’Brien in the park behind the Liknes home, while Alvin Liknes looks on from the garage.

10 p.m., June 29: After staying at the house for an unknown amount of time, Jennifer O’Brien leaves her parents’ house, and Nathan stays with his grandparents. It’s the last time anyone sees Nathan or his grandparents.

10 a.m., June 30: Jennifer O’Brien returns to her parents’ house to pick up Nathan. There is no one at the house. She calls police.

Late morning, June 30: Cliff Liknes goes to visit his brother, Alvin, after he didn’t pick up the phone. He quickly realizes something is wrong when he arrives and sees police combing Alvin’s home.

4 p.m., June 30: Police announce they are investigating what they say is the suspicious disappearance of Nathan and his grandparents.

5:30 p.m., June 30: An Amber Alert is issued for the missing trio. The alert prompts numerous calls to police, but no significant leads turn up.

1 p.m. July 1: Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents are still missing. The Amber Alert continues for a second day. Police don’t know where the three missing people are and say they have a ‘big mystery’ on their hands.

More to come...

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Amber+Alert+Timeline+events/9991492/story.html

According to the timeline, Nathans mother arrived at 10, found them missing, called the police. AL's brother arrives later in the morning, to find police everywhere. Whatever Nathans mother found must have been significant if in less than 2 hours after Nathans mother making the call LE were all over the place, searching already. It really doesnt sound good.

According to the timeline, Nathans mother arrived at 10, found them missing, called the police. AL's brother arrives later in the morning, to find police everywhere. Whatever Nathans mother found must have been significant if in less than 2 hours after Nathans mother making the call LE were all over the place, searching already. It really doesnt sound good.

Not good at all :(
I wonder what Nathan's mom found (or didn't find) in the house....

I have many half siblings, and a step sibling, and I only bring that up during explanations of our family dynamics. I would never use half or step in some sort of public announcement, like an obituary. I personally have been left out of obituaries because I'm considered a "step", which sucks.

That does suck. When my FIL died, his funeral notice included all of my children as his grandchildren, although technically 2 of them are step.

Same here. Sometimes it's easier that way.
Especially because of the age gap between me and my youngest brother.
People will look at me funny when I say that there's 23 years (almost to the day) between me and him. So then I have to say "He's my half brother. That's why."

But that doesn't mean I love him any less :) He's the greatest!

Copying over the timeline. This timeline suggests that Nathan was there for the afternoon and his mom left at about 10PM ... so he wasn't dropped off at that time.

The Herald has compiled a timeline of the events leading up to the disappearance of five-year-old Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathryn Liknes, who were reported missing on Monday morning.

December 5, 2013
Alvin Liknes sells his Parkhill home to a Calgary lawyer. He continues to live in the home with his wife, Kathryn.

June 11-24
The Liknes family posts various ads on Kijiji during this time, advertising various household items and furniture for sale. The ads mention that the couple is moving and can’t take these items with them. They also advertise an estate sale to be held at the end of the month.

June 27-29
Alvin and Kathryn Liknes hold an estate sale at their house. Signs on the front door say, “come on in!” Dozens of people cycle in and out of the home over weekend. Neighbours who chatted with the couple say they were talking about ‘downsizing’ and moving to Mexico. Cherri Hodgins, a friend of Kathryn Liknes, said the couple bought a condo there and had been planning to move for several months.

Midday, June 29
Five-year-old Nathan O’Brien goes to visit his grandparents with his mother, Jennifer. In the afternoon, neighbour Peter Walton’s grandkids play with Nathan O’Brien in the park behind the Liknes home, while Alvin Liknes looks on from the garage.

10 p.m., June 29
After staying at the house for an unknown amount of time, Jennifer O’Brien leaves her parents’ house, and Nathan stays with his grandparents. It’s the last time anyone sees Nathan or his grandparents.

10 a.m., June 30
Jennifer O’Brien returns to her parents’ house to pick up Nathan. There is no one at the house. She calls police.

Late morning, June 30
Cliff Liknes goes to visit his brother, Alvin, after he didn’t pick up the phone. He quickly realizes something is wrong when he arrives and sees police combing Alvin’s home.

4 p.m., June 30
Police announce they are investigating what they say is the suspicious disappearance of Nathan and his grandparents.

5:30 p.m., June 30
An Amber Alert is issued for the missing trio. The alert prompts numerous calls to police, but no significant leads turn up.

1 p.m. July 1
Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents are still missing. The Amber Alert continues for a second day. Police don’t know where the three missing people are and say they have a ‘big mystery’ on their hands.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Amber+Alert+Timeline+events/9991492/story.html?__federated=1

Regarding Alvin's brother coming to visit. It probably sounds weird, but then again I don't know how far he lives and how often he would come visit. I personally wouldn't do it, but my Fiance's family is like that. Very close. So if someone didn't answer their phone and they had plans, or the person calling wanted to make plans, they may very well just pop on over.

I don't know, I guess we will just have to speculate

The amount of things that were told to the attendees at the Estate Sale, makes me feel really, really queasy.

I hope that there is a misunderstanding, and the grandparents have Nathan, and will return.

I fear that there has been a terrible act of evil, and this nightmare will end as such. I really hope I am wrong.

Sherry Card stopped by the sale on Saturday and said the Liknes told attendees they were moving and would be staying with somebody else for a short period of time.

From the number of people perusing items in the home, to the actual items for sale, everything seemed normal, Card said.

"It seemed like a typical garage sale. I go to them all the time," she said.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...ing+cars+leave+police+with/9989542/story.html

Different families can be weird about that stuff. I personally agree with you, very much so. Once you are 'blended', family is family and should be treated as such. I don't feel the need to provide such labels in every day conversation or in public announcements. But I have noticed that if I play fast and loose with terms like sibling, sister, or brother when referring to my 'step' family, some of my family members make a big deal out of it and almost seem to get offended that I would not use the term 'step' to differentiate these family members from my 'natural' family.

EH.

Regarding Alvin's brother coming to visit. It probably sounds weird, but then again I don't know how far he lives and how often he would come visit. I personally wouldn't do it, but my Fiance's family is like that. Very close. So if someone didn't answer their phone and they had plans, or the person calling wanted to make plans, they may very well just pop on over.

I don't know, I guess we will just have to speculate

Additionally, perhaps he was calling because the two men had plans? Or had agreed to discuss business that morning? We really have no context as to why he was calling. The brother also may have been alarmed more quickly because of the sale over the weekend. He may have become worried more quickly than usual due to knowing how many strangers had access to the home and personal information of his brother that weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3