Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about the estate sale, and LE asking those who attended it to go to the community center today from 10-10, and to bring pics of what they bought............while it's not a bad idea, I don't necessarily see it being all that helpful in some respects (though some help is better than none):

1. Obviously if the perp(s) are those who attended the sale and did or did not buy something, they're not going to be silly enough to attend.
2. In the summer probably moreso, just like garage-sales are popular, many ppl come from surrounding areas to attend estate sales.......particularly if posted/advertised on Kijiji. Lots of people from rural areas come into Calgary on the weekends to shop, go to Costco, get groceries, attend garage sales, see what good buys they can find on Kijiji, etc.............and people from out of town are likely not going to want to (or be able to) make a special trip into Calgary today to attend. JMO.
3. You would think the daughter or any other family members who attended the sale on either day (to help out) would be able to say if there were any known valuables for sale: collections, art, jewelry, antiques, family heirlooms, etc.

It would be helpful, however, if those who do attend will be able to tell LE more about the nature of items that were for sale (though daughter should also be able to as well), where they were located in the home/attached garage?/detached garage?.........and if any people were there at the same time who were wandering through the house to see the various items seemed "odd" or "off"....or stuck out for some reason.......how they were dressed, questions they asked, etc.

Haven't been able to see the presser yet. Could someone please elaborate on the kidnapping / headshaking yes component of it. Thanks !!

I tried to find the Kijiji ad but having no luck. Was just wondering how long it was posted on there for as 200 to 300 people showing up for a 1 day sale seems to be a lot. But maybe the estate sale was an ongoing 1 for quite awhile? :twocents:

Haven't been able to see the presser yet. Could someone please elaborate on the kidnapping / headshaking yes component of it. Thanks !!
I've been searching for it too SB :) Will post if I find it :)

The thing about the estate sale, and LE asking those who attended it to go to the community center today from 10-10, and to bring pics of what they bought............while it's not a bad idea, I don't necessarily see it being all that helpful in some respects (though some help is better than none):

1. Obviously if the perp(s) are those who attended the sale and did or did not buy something, they're not going to be silly enough to attend.
2. In the summer probably moreso, just like garage-sales are popular, many ppl come from surrounding areas to attend estate sales.......particularly if posted/advertised on Kijiji. Lots of people from rural areas come into Calgary on the weekends to shop, go to Costco, get groceries, attend garage sales, see what good buys they can find on Kijiji, etc.............and people from out of town are likely not going to want to (or be able to) make a special trip into Calgary today to attend. JMO.
3. You would think the daughter or any other family members who attended the sale on either day (to help out) would be able to say if there were any known valuables for sale: collections, art, jewelry, antiques, family heirlooms, etc.

It would be helpful, however, if those who do attend will be able to tell LE more about the nature of items that were for sale (though daughter should also be able to as well), where they were located in the home/attached garage?/detached garage?.........and if any people were there at the same time who were wandering through the house to see the various items seemed "odd" or "off"....or stuck out for some reason.......how they were dressed, questions they asked, etc.

I know this may sound crazy and I probably am going crazy from lack of sleep...maybe they expect a perp or perps to show up ?????

Now speaking of Kijiji I have some expensive auto parts on there as my husband is a mechanic and I would like my garage back. Some guy just called and was a bit of a jerk started arguing and yelling at me. Then asked to come by and look at them ....how about no I told him GFY!!

bbm - I wouldn't dismiss this possibility so quickly. Haven't we often heard about perps that turn up as spectators at crime scenes or in other ways try to insert themselves into an investigation by pretending to be witnesses or have some knowledge about aspects of the case? If this was a kidnapping and/or murder the perp might very well turn up at the community center to get a feel for how much investigators know, what kind of questions they ask, what others that come forward have seen, whether they are suspicious, etc. On top of that they (the perp) can work on presenting an innocent image by appearing helpful.

Maybe this is just what LE is watching out for behind the scenes.

The article says "with parental consent."

I doubt they crossed the border.

JMO

Right...if you read the post I quoted, I was disputing someone's statement that children needed passports to cross the border under all circumstances, nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmo
I think whatever happened
Happened between these three
People. I don't feel anyone else is involved.
What happened I haven't a clue
But I hope we find out soon.

I live on the Canada USA border. I travel to the US on a daily basis with my kids. Adults are required to produce a valid passport, OR Nexxus card, OR a special kind of DL. Children are only required to produce a birth certificate.

Re: Notarized letter - the US border MAY or MAY NOT ask for such a thing. My children do not share my last name and I have been asked for it twice in 7 years.

ETA-this is assuming travel by car. To travel by air children need a passport.

I'm assuming they traveled by plane, which is why I brought up the passport issue.
If they traveled by car, then the issue becomes what car? Who drove them?
Taxis go to the airport, so IF they left the country by plane (or at all), a taxi could have taken them to the airport.

But this is IF the grandparents are involved, which I don't think they are.
It just doesn't make sense...

I say sleuthers , since the partners in the states were mentioned , we should maybe have a look into persons from America that they may have been connected with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea!
Do we know if either grandparent's have relatives in the States? Or if they have clients there?

Keep in mind authorities worked with detectives in Mexico in the Mcstay case too. They have to cover all their bases. Not saying to dismiss it, just keep it in mind. They may have a reason to do so, but no real proof, ya know?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I tried to find the Kijiji ad but having no luck. Was just wondering how long it was posted on there for as 200 to 300 people showing up for a 1 day sale seems to be a lot. But maybe the estate sale was an ongoing 1 for quite awhile? :twocents:

It was a 2 day sale: Sat and Sun (Jun 28 and 29)

ETA: I stand corrected. According to this Kijiji Ad of theirs, sale was Fri to Sun inclusive: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-furniture-lot/calgary/moving-estate-sale/601673918

ALSO............this particular Ad contains various pics inside the home, of other items they had for sale.

Anyone else feel LE knows where they are or are on the verge of breaking this wide open?

I think this is in reference to process of elimination of finger prints left at scene.

That's what I get out of it too. But that is only going to eliminate some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61