Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amber Alert Update:

Update # 5

The Amber Alert remains in effect and police continue to appeal for any information relating to the disappearance of the family members.

As the investigation into the disappearance of Nathan O’Brien and Kathryn and Alvin Liknes moves into its 11th day, search teams continue to search Calgary area landfills and investigators continue to ask rural property owners to check their properties for anything unusual.

Yesterday, Wednesday, June 9, 2014, search teams sifted through garbage at the Spyhill landfill as part of routine procedure to look for anything relevant to the ongoing investigation. Today, Thursday, July 10, 2014, those teams have moved to a landfill off 17 Avenue and 68 Street S.E.

Additional search teams, in partnership with the RCMP, continue to cover a large area in and around a property in Airdrie in connection to the investigation. Officers are going door to door at neighbouring acreages asking residents to do a thorough check of their properties. Rural property owners, including businesses, are asked to please do the same.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 403-266-1234, or by email at homicidetips@calgarypolice.ca, or Crime Stoppers.

Police would like to thank the public and the media for their ongoing support and co-operation in what is a complex ongoing investigation.

http://emergencyalert.alberta.ca/alerts/2014/07/2584.html

Here is the CBC article that says there was a dispute between AL and DG over the patent, but it just quotes 'a source' so who knows what that means.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...olice-expand-search-to-2nd-landfill-1.2702103

Perhaps Alvin Liknes asked Douglas Garland to work on the patent, perhaps he wasn't paid for the work. Perhaps the ideas came from Garland and Liknes filed a patent to control the rights.

"A source also told CBC News that police believe the dispute may have been over a patent. Liknes had registered a patent for an apparatus that separates gas from water."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...olice-expand-search-to-2nd-landfill-1.2702103

"Mr. Carson said Vecto was working on a type of pump that could keep water out of oil and gas wells, allowing them to be productive for longer stretches of time; however, Mr. Liknes’s invention didn’t work out, and the plan was dropped."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/

2013 Patent Filing
http://www.google.com/patents/US20130020069

2011 Patent Filing
http://patents.justia.com/inventor/alvin-liknes

Great point, having a big double garage does make the notion of turning the front garage into a room more plausible.

I would post those photos of the furniture and area of the home that I was referring to but don't think mod would want me to.

The following is a summary of a paper prepared to profile serial killers. To a point you are correct that the number of killers decreases with age, however, you cannot exclude a person based on the age. Interestingly, the study also suggests that among others older killers have a higher IQ, have been arrested or were in prison and less likely leave the body unhidden and unmoved.

http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Rese...008 - Profiling the Age of Serial Killers.pdf

I am sure that the police has a good reason why they search the Airdrie acreage belonging to DG's parents but whether DG is guilty of a crime or the accessory of a crime, it remains to be seen.

So assuming DG is a serial killer, which this study focuses on, his age could be a good reason he does fit the profile for the disappearance. ( bodies/evidence removed). Fascinating.

CTV Calgary news at 6pm

- new video of Nathan learning how to skate
- Garland ran a chemical company named P2 Solutions making mercury on the farm and selling it as far away as Panama
- asking land owners to check for tire tracks etc on their property. Asking all utility and oil companies to check their buildings, and wells
- O'Briens may be attending the vigil tonight

The mention of Panama is interesting. I tried to find the link where Alvin had a company in Panama, but haven't had any luck. If Garland was producing mercury, and Alvin was marketing it, then if he wasn't paid, that would be a problem, but that doesn't have anything to do with patents.

Before I forget!!!!!

The L's home was sold to a Calgary lawyer. Any idea on who bought it?

I know that someone in the media spoke to the lawyer that bought it. I have not seen the article, though. I wonder ;

1) what type of law
2) who is he
3) who has he represented that may think he was already in the house with his family.. missed target?

The house was sold months ago. Most people sell and move out. The other family, technically if not for the lease after purchase should have been in the home.

So with P2 solutions being located on the farm, is this the only job he had? Or did he also go somewhere else for work either related to P2 solutions? Was anyone missing him during the week?

I know that someone in the media spoke to the lawyer that bought it. I have not seen the article, though. I wonder ;

1) what type of law
2) who is he
3) who has he represented that may think he was already in the house with his family.. missed target?

The house was sold months ago. Most people sell and move out. The other family, technically if not for the lease after purchase should have been in the home.

Interesting!

1) what type of law
2) who is he

Maybe it was part of the selling agreement that they get to stay a certain amount of months? Maybe when they listed it they didn't expect it to sell quickly?

Noticed there was a timeline on here of DG's record that missed his 2009 charge for "failure to yield to a pedestrian" and subsequent fine of $575. I asked several (hundred!) posts back when the original post first appeared if anyone knew of an accident at that time, as I had two family members knocked down in a crosswalk back in 1999 where the driver of the car was charged with the above. If there was a reply I missed it.

You can be charged with "failure to yield to a pedestrian" even if you go through a crosswalk while a pedestrian is crossing but the charge is usually thrown out before court and no fine. The fact that the charge stuck leads me to believe he may have hit someone.
I was meaning to post that exact same speculation.

Nathan O'Brien Amber Alert: Police investigate 'business issues' as search expands

Calgary police are looking into a patent dispute as part of their investigation into the disappearance of a five-year-old and his grandparents, a source close to the police investigation told CBC News.

Sources say a business deal went sour, leading to "bad blood."

Court records also show that both Alvin and Kathryn Liknes have declared bankruptcy in the past – Alvin in 1994 and Kathryn just two years ago.

According to records, Liknes was involved in several civil lawsuits in the 1980s and early 90s. He was the defendant in two cases four years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2702103

DG in his sketches looks much older than his (relatively young age of 54!) and mentioned his vision problems when asked if he could hear during court proceedings. Interesting that personality changes is also listed.
Perhaps. How I took the court exchange about seeing/hearing the proceedings is that DG was appearing over a video link. He could have leaned close to the camera, prompting the judge to ask if he could hear the proceedings properly, and the response from DG that he was struggling to see the video better ("bad eyesight")

What is the white box for,above the front door,above the rain gutter?

I've seen something like this on a lot of gutter inside corners. It's a vertical piece that's intended to prevent a big ice block from forming/falling right at the corner which is at the base of the angled roof edge.

Or possibly a decorative feature, matching one on the other side of the peak's bottom.

1) what type of law
2) who is he

Was it actually sold to a lawyer as a regular sale where the lawyer would occupy or rent it out? Or was the sale to a lawyer part of a debt resolution scenario, where financial transactions go through a trustee lawyer of some kind?

Yes, that's luminol

I'm just curious, but how do you know that's luminol? I honestly don't know anything about it other than what I've seen on television so I have no idea what it looks like in natural light. I googled it, but found way too much fluff & junk to sift through.

Am wondering if DG is going to released tomorrow, only to be arrested again on some new charges? There's been a lot of focus at Airdrie on the chemicals that have been found on the property. Is there anything there that's illegal or stored improperly? If so, who would be charged? The owners (parents) of the property, and/or the person responsible for the actual purchase and storage? Are LE really interested in detaining him further if possible? If so, why?

I was also rethinking what the terms of release might be, and house arrest would be too restrictive for the current charges, but then, there's the fact that you might think LE would probably want him to be free to walk and move around, no? Though he's considered to be a smart man, the LE would still surely be tailing him to watch his movements anyway. Not forgetting the fact, that he's been locked up for a good length of time already, and the LE would know that if the three missing family members are alive (or at least two of them), and being held somewhere, that they would need food and water. So, why don't they seem to be concerned? Is it because they know there's more than one person involved? Oh, so many questions; not enough answers.

With the fact that Liknes had so many different companies at the same time, more than one bankruptcy, lawsuits, and failure to pay taxes, I get the impression that he was moving assets to avoid paying debt. That opens up the possibility of there being many suspects, but at the same time, only one person in that position has a vehicle that was in the area at the time that they vanished.

I wonder why Douglas Garland didn't contact police when they put out a request for the drive of the distinct green truck to contact them.

Perhaps Alvin Liknes asked Douglas Garland to work on the patent, perhaps he wasn't paid for the work. Perhaps the ideas came from Garland and Liknes filed a patent to control the rights.

"A source also told CBC News that police believe the dispute may have been over a patent. Liknes had registered a patent for an apparatus that separates gas from water."

"Mr. Carson said Vecto was working on a type of pump that could keep water out of oil and gas wells, allowing them to be productive for longer stretches of time; however, Mr. Liknes’s invention didn’t work out, and the plan was dropped."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/

2013 Patent Filing
http://www.google.com/patents/US20130020069

2011 Patent Filing
http://patents.justia.com/inventor/alvin-liknes

If DG was an employee of AL, chances are he would have has to sign an intellectual property agreement (it's standard in employment, most people just don't realize they've signed one) otherwise AL's company wouldn't have had IP rights to whatever they were trying to patent.

If DG wasn't an employee Nd they were working in the project together, they would have had equal IP rights to the whole project and individual IP rights to whatever they each contributed. Unless there was a subcontractor agreement in which case whoever the subcontractor was would have relinquished his IP rights as part of the subcontractor agreement.

Regardless, you cannot get/apply for a patent without listing everyone who contributed to the IP of whatever it is that you are trying to patent. Listing someone doesn't give them any right to the patent but it is a requirement for the patent application to be valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjan