Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It just recurred to me that DG lived with his parents. Up to now I had imagined him living alone and his parents simply owned that farm but living elsewhere. Now if they lived together, his parents could have seen plenty activities, esp. at odd hours, and smelled strange smells (chemical or otherwise). They would know more than anyone else about his recent activities.

(btw the above linked article gives a good summary of various aspect of the case)
His parents were purported to be away on a camping trip ztzt

If Nathan hadn't been there, I doubt there would have been much of a search until well after video surveillance was over written.

You are SO right. Wow.

Little Nathan's disappearance, may have prevented more heinous crimes by this SOB, and God only knows what they will uncover on him now.

Given that there was a violent bloody struggle in the house, probably the murder weapon was not a gun.

I agree, but, it most likely was a weapon brought to the home, because he has been charged with 1st degree murder.

JMO

Don't companies contract work out all the time? Under this wouldn't it become intellectual property of the company? Whereby the contracting scientist may list it on the resume but not actually have ownership of it?

I suppose it will come down to whether there was a contract in place. If there was, and Garland wasn't paid, that would be the motive behind the murder. As we know, the Liknes couple had quite a history of declaring bankruptcy to avoid debt ... and we also know that they have property in Mexico and Evansburg, AB.

Is the sister Patti younger or older than DG?

Perhaps younger ... if she is common law with Alvin's son. Alvin was 66, perhaps his son is 46. Douglas Garland is 54.

This isn't a direct quote but didn't at some point during the press conference the police chief say something along the lines of - these are the only things the POI will be charged with at the minute but they will be looking into unsolved previous cases ... could it be that because of this case it may come to light that this was not the first time 'he' has committed murder?

On a personal note - I have my own 5 year old son sleeping next to me in bed right now ... the knot in my stomach and the ache in my heart for all the loved ones is almost unbearable. ... the family have lost ... no, not lost ... they have been robbed of SO much.

I feel exactly the same way. I also have a 5 year old son who was born in Calgary. Although we live in Ontario now this news is almost too much for me to bear. I keep thinking about NOs last moments, what he thought, saw. My heart is aching as if it was my own child. Must be so much worse for the family. JO is going to need so much support now. I am glad the community is really coming together to support the families.

Sorry, does this qualify as gory details?

Nothing personal and nothing you said - honestly. The combined theories and the imagery they evoked made me feel ill. I had just eaten :( welcome to websleuths cat

From the video, Crown Prosecutor Speaks on Nathan O'Brien CASE - Lots more in video, my interest points -

1. LE is still working on finding not only the bodies, but other sources of evidence as well

2. Circumstances we usually look for are banking activity or lack of banking activity, lack of contact with people, we look at the crime scene itself, in this case, we have looked at the fact that there have been no ransom notes provided

3. Question from Reporter - Is the primary crime scene the home?

Answer by Prosecutor
- There have been 2 primary search sites. For NOW, those have been the focus of it. You know, I know Mr. Liknes was in earlier talking to you about the cooperation of the citizens of Calgary and it really has been outstanding. We have gotten evidence from OTHER SOURCES than just those 2 locations, and it really is because of the good folks, the good citizens of Calgary. They are doing their civic duty and picking up the phone and calling police and helping out, so, I would encourage people to continue to do that, because we are getting evidence from a number of different sources, and that's really encouraging from a community standpoint.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rland-in-court-liknes-family-speaks-1.2708571

I keep thinking about NOs last moments, what he thought, saw.

Either way it's hard to think about it: whether NO saw the struggles between his grandparents and DG, or KL saw NO being harmed.

This does not explain the drag marks. NO would have been easy to carry.

If something heavy was dragged in a blanket or rug etc., across concrete, I would speculate that there would be fibers or fluff left behind on the rough surfaces.. even if they couldn't be seen with the naked eye.

DNA can last forever if stored properly. I don't think we know how they were murdered, because no bodies have been found.

:welcome: naz

It's possible that the suspected murder weapon was found. It's also possible that DG revealed details to the police while he was in custody. If he was so obsessed by a perceived wrong done towards him that he planned and carried out this murder, then he may very well have continued to talk about it in his obsessed state of mind.

Is it correct that only after DG became a Suspect (instead of POI) that the police obtained warrants to search inside his home (not just the farmland)? If so, then there can be tons of more new evidence, from computers and otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper