Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be fore warned, yukky details in this post...

It seems that cadaver dogs are only trained to seek out decaying human flesh. Apparently, they can even detect scent that has dropped off a person carrying the remains. I don't know specifically about scenting in a mixture of fecal matter and remains, but dogs noses are very sensitive, and while I do not know, it would not surprise me if they could.

Source: http://dogs.about.com/cs/searchandrescue/a/cadaver_dogs.htm

Okay, enough about cadaver dogs and such for me. I just joined and I don't want to be known as the gruesome cat.:facepalm:

This drives me bananas. who intro'd who to who,, it's actually quite important imo

If AL was a petroleum engineer (one news story said he was) and DG had taken a few years science in university, they would have at least had that much in common. However, AL was 12 years older than DG so they wouldn't have known each other from school days. It's likely a much more recent acquaintance, though PG, perhaps. But perhaps not. Alberta must be awash with people who have similar backgrounds and education, given the concentration of oil and gas industry there. Where did AL go to school?

Cadaver dogs, drug dogs, bomb sniffing dogs are trained specifically to identify one thing and one thing only.

A cadaver dog identifies decomposing bodies. Tracking dogs and SAR dogs will pick up scent and track it from a living person. They don't co-train so as to avoid confusion. You know when your dog indicates what exactly they are indicating.

The link is waaaay back somewhere but there was a tweet with picture and a dog sitting, while LE placed a flag was noted. The dog was described as a cadaver dog.

Could they have some dog (not necessarily cadaver dog) smell the crime scene at L's house, and then smell DG (or smelling DG first to have familiarity with his scent), to find out if his scent had been at/around the house?

The only reason I hesitate to think he put the bodies in a reservoir or other body of water, is that DG has intimate knowledge of chemicals.

If he's as brilliant and pre-meditated as they say, I think it's far more likely that used chemicals to "dissolve" his problems (sorry to even type this but JMO).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do believe it was a combination - burning and chemicals
that he used to get rid of his victims and any blankets, rugs
clothing. He had plenty of time and the privacy for the deeds.
Done by the 2nd.

Good question. I don't know the answer but I'll look around and see if I can find more info.

I just sent an email to an associate of the woman mentioned in the cadaver dog wiki page posted above. When she replies I'll ask her if I can reprint her reply on here. sorry, forgot that you posted the wiki page.

I just sent an email to an associate of the woman mentioned in the cadaver dog wiki page posted above. When she replies I'll ask her if I can reprint her reply on here. sorry, forgot that you posted the wiki page.

Nice work Stan.

If AL was a petroleum engineer (one news story said he was) and DG had taken a few years science in university, they would have at least had that much in common. However, AL was 12 years older than DG so they wouldn't have known each other from school days. It's likely a much more recent acquaintance, though PG, perhaps. But perhaps not. Alberta must be awash with people who have similar backgrounds and education, given the concentration of oil and gas industry there. Where did AL go to school?

It rightfully could be very important.

I have always wondered WHY OH WHY would AL get into business with a guy with mental issues and a pretty serious rap sheet? Maybe BECAUSE OF THE RELATIONSHIP between PG and AL's son. Maybe he was trying to help him. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Give him a second chance?

This could answer how they got together.

I've always guessed that PG and AL's son got together through their own devices and that DG then became an extended part of the family through that relationship and then moved on to other things with AL. Maybe they formed a kinship? They had similar interests and business ideas. In a perfect world it could have been the perfect business relationship - AL the entrepreneur and DG the science guy.

The neighbor saw DG's greenhouse light on Tuesday night, then burning all day Wednesday. My speculation: he may first used chemicals to "process" the bodies on Tuesday, then burned the resulting remains on Wednesday.

Heck, if even we can think of chemical treatment, DG as a chemist would 100% have thought about it.

Could they have some dog (not necessarily cadaver dog) smell the crime scene at L's house, and then smell DG (or smelling DG first to have familiarity with his scent), to find out if his scent had been at/around the house?

Not sure about that. I think that the house could be too contaminated for anything like that. I'm not sure they use dogs for that type of work but you never know. I don't recall anything being said about a "service" dog of any type being at the house.

The only reason I hesitate to think he put the bodies in a reservoir or other body of water, is that DG has intimate knowledge of chemicals.

If he's as brilliant and pre-meditated as they say, I think it's far more likely that used chemicals to "dissolve" his problems (sorry to even type this but JMO).

I honestly don't think this guy is nearly as "brilliant" as described. He did after all, get caught. JMO.

I honestly don't think this guy is nearly as "brilliant" as described. He did after all, get caught. JMO.

Actually, I think he's pretty brilliant.

He defended himself by acting as his own lawyer during his EI case. He broke the law by using a fake identity, yet convinced the court he deserved EI.

I'm no fan of DG whatsoever, but he really pulled it off and showed his intelligence (even if it was for selfish gains).

I have done volunteer work with K9 units (cadaver dogs), but am no expert. We have verified K9 professionals on WS. Here's a link to that forum where you can direct questions. Be patient, as they are all pretty busy:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...SAR-Questions-amp-Answers-Ask-the-Pros!/page3

If Nathan hadn't been there, I doubt there would have been much of a search until well after video surveillance was over written.

I agree. If he was burning anything it would have been bed covers or clothing, etc.

ITA with this. I think the bodies are in a remote area exposed to the elements and animals (sorry). Whatever was used to drag them and/or whatever was used as a barrier between the truck interior/bed and the family was burned.

Okay, enough about cadaver dogs and such for me. I just joined and I don't want to be known as the gruesome cat.:facepalm:
<rsbm>

You're okay Cattools .. we discuss pretty much everything here, including the grotty stuff. Just maybe make your Graphic Warning a bit bigger so folks don't miss it and can mosey on by if they wish :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper