Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Global just had breaking News, Garland was formally charged and they had a video of him being led away

Global just corrected their breaking news. Garland has NOT been charged yet. He is being processed and will be charged shortly

OMG! Garland doesn't look old or frail at all!!!!

He looks strong, healthy and completely capable of physically dragging bodies!!!!

The "artist's" court sketches seem to be very far off.

Yes, the Canadian homicide stats online just take us to 2012, but the ongoing trend has been downwards, as has also been the case in the US, so let's presume that trend has continued and meanwhile, have a look at the 2012 info anyway and compare those stats with those of our neighbors. (Incidentally, I suggest that all murders are horrible, so I'm not sure there's a way to usefully qualify degrees of heinous.)

There were 543 homicides recorded in Canada in 2012, down 10 per cent from the previous year.
http://globalnews.ca/news/1040722/canadas-2012-homicide-rate-at-lowest-level-in-nearly-50-years-statscan/

USA reported its lowest rate in 4 decades, with 14,827 homicides reported.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2013/september/latest-crime-stats-released/latest-crime-stats-released

POPULATION OF CANADA (2013) 35,158,300

POPULATION USA (2013) 315,091,138

So the US population is approximately 9 times that of Canada, a multiplier that has remained more or less constant for decades.

Therefore, to match the US homicide rate on a per capita basis, 4,887 persons would need to fall victim to murder. However, as it turns out Canada actually has just 1/9th the per capita percentage of US homicides. Not 9 times, but 1/9th as many.

Murder is an aberration. The odds against your ever confronting a murderer or having anyone you know fall victim to homicide are overwhelmingly in your favour.

To further put fear and anxiety about the safety and security of oneself and one's loved ones into perspective, here's some more stats about more probable potential causes of your sudden death by forces outside your control.

• Be killed in a terrorist attack while travelling (1 in 650,000).
• Die — during an average lifetime — of flesh-eating disease (1 in one million).
• Be killed by lightning (1 in 56,439).

To put it another way, "Say you're standing on a football field. You're blindfolded and holding a pin. A friend has released an ant on the field. Your chance of piercing that ant with your pin is about one in 14 million, the same odds as winning a 6/49 jackpot. " Maybe add another ant or throw in a second throw if you want to more or less approach those homicide stats.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/lotteries-what-are-the-odds-1.775281

100% of murder victims have been victims of murder. That's the only stat that really matters to the individual. It's more cause and effect driven, than statistically driven. If the ant chooses not to dabble in that game, or play with a pin dropping maniac, then his chances of survival increase.

I was just looking back through some of the articles that have been published about the case, and one thing that concerns me is that mental issues have been documented with the person of interest. That might lead to a free pass into a psychiatric institution.

"The records say “mental issues” may have contributed to property offences committed by Garland, who was also convicted of possessing break-in tools at the time of the drug lab conviction."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...or-testing-from-person-of-interests-property/

Nancy Hixt @NancyHixt · 4m

Breaking: Douglas Garland being taken to see a justice of the peace #yyc

Bsj2CSGCEAEdQT-.jpg

It looks like the police were hoping to get this done without the media by doing it hours after the courts are closed, and it looks like the media has been squatting to get a photo. He had to be charged within 24 of being detained, so that has to happen before 1:30AM.

https://twitter.com/NancyHixt

It looks like the police were hoping to get this done without the media by doing it hours after the courts are closed, and it looks like the media has been squatting to get a photo. He had to be charged within 24 of being detained, so that has to happen before 1:30AM.

OMG! Garland doesn't look old or frail at all!!!!

He looks strong, healthy and completely capable of physically dragging bodies!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how you can deduce, from only the side view of his head, that he looks strong/healthy and physically capable, IMO. Not defending him in the least but IMO that picture tells nothing.

Not sure how you can tell all that just from only seeing the side view of someone's head?

I didn't just see this still photo, I watched the live newscast of him walking, which was front AND side view.

Another great job! (Btw where did you find the info about the floor plan? Was it just a guess of the general situation?)

I looked at the aerial photo, the front elevation, and explored four level split house design to get a sense of the general layout of that style of houses. It's a bit of an educated guess, with proportions being estimates.

Where can we see the video?

Check the Global website.

They showed him walking from head on.... He looks muscular and fit, strong enough to have physically accomplished what we've been suspecting him of doing IMO.

Maybe he feared for his own safety and wanted to be re-arrested...Looking at those drag marks from ztzt's link i am so stunned why none of the neighbours heard anything. Maybe everyone had their ac or fans on and therefore muffled the noise from the commotion...

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk

I looked at the aerial photo, the front elevation, and explored four level split house design to get a sense of the general layout of that style of houses. It's a bit of an educated guess, with proportions being estimates.

Great talent! The next thing maybe you should design a prison cell for the killer.

Is there a link for pics of the drag marks?

Only thing that stuck out to me from the Garland photos is that he is wearing a Paramount Resources shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member