Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The murder weapon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite likely, and anything that they've been able to determine that's missing from the house, that hasn't already been found or burned (landfill, for example).

Actually storage is a good idea....

1...there are a number of children and who really wants to try and sort out who gets what right now....

Plus, there could be specific issues with sorting out probate and inheritance if they continue not to know which of them died first, unless they had exactly mirror wills, which seems less likely when they each had children from previous relationships.

In the other case you mentioned the issue is still ongoing
I wonder why things are being moved into storage? Would it not be easier for the family to go through and get what they want to remember the family by and then have someone like the salvation army or good will come in and take everything else? My opinion only is that they were selling everything... get rid of what you don't want... don't store it. And if the police want the things for later? they can store it. I would hate to see an auctioneer come in... there are a lot of people that collect things because they were from crime scenes. This family needs someone as a designated spokes person. Perhaps they should retain council?

As far as a bench goes, I would think that something like that would be a bit overwhelming at this point... The family still has hope that this family is alive.

I always struggle with the donations... this one not so much because the family is asking for nothing... but the Loretta Saunders case put a bad taste in my mouth.

Calgary Police Service
25 mins · Edited ·
Disappearance/Homicide Investigation Remains On-Going
We are grateful for the overwhelming community support in relation to the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Nathan O’Brien and Kathryn and Alvin Liknes.
Investigators have a 30-day search plan in effect that is intelligence driven, which cannot be shared outside of law enforcement in order to protect the integrity of the investigation. We are systematically searching locations that have a high likelihood of locating evidence utilizing officers from the CPS, RCMP and provincially sanctioned civilian search organizations. We have and will continue to dedicate as many resources as necessary to complete what has become a highly sensitive, and complex, investigation.
At this time we do not require assistance from the public in relation to searching public property, however we appreciate the outpouring of community support.
Investigators continue to ask private land owners and businesses with rural property to check their property for anything suspicious.
We thank the public, especially the residents of Airdrie, for their tremendous support and tireless efforts to aid in the investigation.
If the investigation reaches a point where public assistance is required, we will reach out through our local media, government and social media.

https://www.facebook.com/calgarypolice/posts/10152561880289530

Sublimemumma, please let us know if you see a presence out where you live.

I will definitely keep you guys updated if I hear of anything in our area. My husband works as an oilfield mechanic and does jobs all over the area. I asked if they were told to keep an eye out for anything suspicious and he said that they weren't told anything as a company but he heard it in the news. I have visions of him stumbling upon something in one of his work sites. He goes all over the back roads and fields that usually have no people. I really do believe that DG was busy the night the neighbours saw lights and smoke from him burning stuff. I think he has done a pretty good clean up job. I just pray they have enough evidence without the bodies to nail this guy!

Just another thought I had yesterday, and haven't had a chance to put out there re how DG gained entry to the home. Might he have showed up on the pretense that he heard they were moving/having the estate sale, etc., and wanted to clear the air, shake hands, and so forth before they (AL) moved away? He knew it was late, but happened to be in town, and maybe he even picked up and brought a bottle of some kind for AL as a goodwill gesture? AL and KL might certainly be surprised to see him, but this might have been enough for them to let their guard down, and open the door to him (noting that someone mentioned if they hadn't seen him for quite a few years, they might not be inclined to let him in).

If not, I'm sure he came up with a good reason to cover all the angles, so they'd have to or be more inclined to let him in. Just sayin'

FWIW, yesterday we had quite a discussion going regarding what cadaver dogs (or HRD dogs) can and cannot do. I have read the forum on SAR and K9. The forum is not specifically about HRD dogs but what I learned from reading the posts there, is that a dog can do whatever the dog and the handler is trained to do. We don't know what the dog and handler used in the Airdrie search is trained to do so without that specific information I don't think we can make assumptions about what she was indicating.

FWIW, yesterday we had quite a discussion going regarding what cadaver dogs (or HRD dogs) can and cannot do. I have read the forum on SAR and K9. The forum is not specifically about HRD dogs but what I learned from reading the posts there, is that a dog can do whatever the dog and the handler is trained to do. We don't know what the dog and handler used in the Airdrie search is trained to do so without that specific information I don't think we can make assumptions about what she was indicating.

That particular dogs name is Sully and is trained to find humans dead or alive.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sarahoffin/status/486202113546924032

Thank you for your insights re the badlands. I probably didn't articulate all my thoughts but I wasn't thinking of bodies per SE - remains which may even have been ashes. I just thought a twisted mind would see that as the ultimate punishment given the fact that Northern Pressure Systems Inc has an address in a Drumheller. This is the company that took the disputed patent to market. I'm trying to get inside his head and that is proving very difficult. I appreciate your insights and anything you might add to this possibility.

I was very surprised to hear Drumheller linked to this but yet it is a small world and Drumheller is right smack in the middle of the central Alberta oil field and has alot of different gas and oil related companies. As far as your theory goes, I totally could see his twisted, criminal mind coming up with that disposal location. Especially if his whole motive is focused around the patent. I really believe he didn't think he would get caught, though and wonder if he would see this would lead them back to him...

"Parts of Calgary, Airdrie, Sundre and Balzac took a beating Thursday afternoon the skies opened up, pelting down massive hail stones.

Chunks, sometimes the size of tennis balls, fell from the sky shortly after Environment Canada issued severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches for much of Alberta."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/17/hail-calgary_n_5597321.html

Yes we are under a tornado watch right now... I wonder how these pounding rains and hail has effected the searches, evidence...

"Parts of Calgary, Airdrie, Sundre and Balzac took a beating Thursday afternoon the skies opened up, pelting down massive hail stones.

Chunks, sometimes the size of tennis balls, fell from the sky shortly after Environment Canada issued severe thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches for much of Alberta."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/17/hail-calgary_n_5597321.html

Yes we are under a tornado watch right now... I wonder how these pounding rains and hail has effected the searches, evidence...

Regarding search areas, this is a 50km radius from the crime scene.

Attachments

• CalgaryThree50kmRadialMap - Copy.jpg
    CalgaryThree50kmRadialMap - Copy.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 163
I don't understand...why would they do this? They ask people to look and then they say leave it to the pros? WT??? I have never ever ever in my lifetime seen a statement from police that tell people not to search...until now. I have Never heard of that...so what do they know??

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/a...n+from+volunteer+searches/10039101/story.html

I've heard of this before. Police have asked people to search their own properties and work sites, but that's quite different from asking the general public to search other people's property. What if some shady people use this as an opportunity to go door to door in rural areas asking if they can have a look around the property ... with a plan to come back later and steal things? What if people in rural areas have different groups of strangers coming to their home at different times? None of that is okay. All rural land belongs to someone, so all of it is private property. Do people realize that? Perhaps not. How would they know who owns which 40 acre plot of land? A lot of the land is agricultural with the home at a different location.

Regarding search areas, this is a 50km radius from the crime scene.

That is a lot of prairie wasteland to be searching, with too many side roads and deserted laneways to mention. Like driving in Montana in many areass. Good God.

Things got a little...graphic...yesterday, regarding under what conditions/circumstances could she detect HR. For example, if the HR was burned, and so and so forth.

Can he? Just curious, I know some people are thinking they were possibly burnt.

Things got a little...graphic...yesterday, regarding under what conditions/circumstances could she detect HR. For example, if the HR was burned, and so and so forth.

Satisfying morbid curiosity at the expense of the victims is not cool in my opinion.

There are professional cleaners that have posted below the donation page offering to do it. Only close family will know what is sentimental, and can be supervised by family. And while this is a tough and devastating time, at least one family member has expressed the need for help. I doubt they will be expected to deal with everything on their own.

The cleaners in the comments were offering a "move out clean" not a crime scene clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BootsMinor