Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the video with Allen Liknes he says that DG's truck was in disrepair and did not even have 4 wheel drive so he thinks he would have been limited in the places he could have gone. So a remote off road site is not really feasible.

It appears it was not as immaculate as was initially described. That also meshes with the rumored report that a local had seen a truck like DG's but it had rust spots and was not in mint condition.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1458419/allen-liknes-continues-searching-for-parents-nathan-obrien-3

Take this perspective:

He killed the family of his sister ... her father in law, his wife, her nephew. How does that factor into the equation?

If he is a psychopath it doesn't factor into it at all because he would have no conscience.

Take this perspective:

He killed the family of his sister ... her father in law, his wife, her nephew. How does that factor into the equation?

Rejection? Then I'm guessing demeaning disposal. ( not sure what he would consider demeaning) is there a local dump outside of airdrie and surrounding communities?

According to silly billy's timeline DG's first 'recorded' or known crime was in 1988 and then the last 'recorded/known' crime was in 2000. It's 2014, that's 26 years of probable deviant behavior. It scares me to think of the things he hasn't been caught for. If he's been practicing criminal or deviant behavior for this long, there's no reason for him to stop in 2000 (sorry, I doubt he was rehabilitated and living a quiet farm and country life). What else has he done I wonder? I just can't see him behaving on the farm all these years, not a pleasant thought...

Hello sleuthers!

I have not read all your posts (you are all amazing!) but I have a insight for you (not sure if it has been mentioned yet tonight?).....

The Calgary - Airdrie area has had horrific hail today, as big has tennis balls. The farmers and their crop adjusters will be out in the next 1 to 45 days surveying every field for damage. They will be walking, riding quads, and in some cases using UAV's. If there is something, someone..... to be found....it will be discovered. I feel so sad for this family, the siblings of the little guy and everyone that is hurting. I pray for everyone involved.

Are you saying that the tennis ball sized hail means every field NE of Airdrie will be inspected for insurance claims in the next 45 days? That's fantastic! I feel for the farmers, but this year they might have to rely on insurance, and hopefully this freak storm leads to the recovery of the murder victims.

I agree with Otto. He did it because he could. He did because he is a narcissist and vengeful. And, he thought he could get away with it. I think he likely burned some evidence, but not the HR. And I don't think he used any chemicals on them. Sadly, he dumped them somewhere he thought they wouldn't be found because they are meaningless to him. Cold. Calculating.

I think he did it because he could. The fake ID should have been confiscated when he was arrested in 1999. If it wasn't, then he kept it in his wallet to illustrate the stupidity of the courts and officers. Assuming it was confiscated, he then applied for duplicate copies after he was released from prison, and again he was more clever than the government ... who would have been stupid enough to re-issue false identification to a man that had been charged with using that false ID to avoid arrest.

I think he did it because he could. It should never have happened that he had ID for the deceased child after his arrest for using that false ID to avoid arrest 15 years ago. How did it happen? Someone screwed up, but for Douglas Garland, it was a feather in his cap towards his cleverness.

Had anyone read or heard that the credit card was in the name of the is he stole? I have only read he had a stolen credit card on him...

Hello sleuthers!

I have not read all your posts (you are all amazing!) but I have a insight for you (not sure if it has been mentioned yet tonight?).....

The Calgary - Airdrie area has had horrific hail today, as big has tennis balls. The farmers and their crop adjusters will be out in the next 1 to 45 days surveying every field for damage. They will be walking, riding quads, and in some cases using UAV's. If there is something, someone..... to be found....it will be discovered. I feel so sad for this family, the siblings of the little guy and everyone that is hurting. I pray for everyone involved.

Wow, what are the odds of the timing of this!? Not to sound too hokey, but it seems like other forces are at work here and this family could be found and brought home where they belong. Hoping all the eyes on the land will find something!

Rejection? Then I'm guessing demeaning disposal. ( not sure what he would consider demeaning) is there a local dump outside of airdrie and surrounding communities?

Maybe jealousy. Douglas is 54, born in 1959. He has a sister that is probably closer in age to her husband, maybe 38-46 years of age. That could suggest that Douglas was about 14 years old when his sister came along. That has been known to create problems where the younger child is in danger ... in some cases. If this happened when Garland was 12-14 years old, this was the same time that the family moved to the Airdrie acreage. Perhaps Douglas was a kind older brother, but I doubt it ... not given what he is charged with. Has Douglas been resentful of his sister all his life, and did he perceive that she placed him in a position to where her father in law took advantage of him, and did he believe that his sister adored her nephew Nathan?

We know that the murder relates to Alvin, but this is a complex case. What was his relationship with his sister such that nothing prevented him from violently attacking her extended family?

His parents are probably in their late 70s early 80s.

I have a feeling he's done a lot we and LE don't know about, how could he not have all these years. Creepy to think about.

Are you saying that the tennis ball sized hail means every field NE of Airdrie will be inspected for insurance claims in the next 45 days? That's fantastic! I feel for the farmers, but this year they might have to rely on insurance, and hopefully this freak storm leads to the recovery of the murder victims.

Who knows maybe if they find these victims, LE will find more missing people or evidence in other unsolved cases since 2000. Like a secret spot for all his crimes.

I agree with Otto. He did it because he could. He did because he is a narcissist and vengeful. And, he thought he could get away with it. I think he likely burned some evidence, but not the HR. And I don't think he used any chemicals on them. Sadly, he dumped them somewhere he thought they wouldn't be found because they are meaningless to him. Cold. Calculating.

Maybe he feels this is a correction of cumulative wrongs in his life?
Having planned and succeeded, he may be proud and maybe the bodies are within sight

Maybe he feels this is a correction of cumulative wrongs in his life?
Having planned and succeeded, he may be proud and maybe the bodies are within sight

Wonder if LE searched any cellars, hiding spots in buildings, graineries, basement of house, etc.

I think he methodically planned the murders to a T. When I look at the G Farm it is immaculate as is the green F150. My feeling is he is most likely also has OCD. He is apparently socially aloof, extremely bright has ADD, had "breakdowns", whatever they are called these days..so what diagnoses re a mental health assessment would he fall under ? He obviously was so angry to kill...
He went from stealing a dead persons identity, stolen credit card/s , theft of equipment and who knows what else prior to this point.

He had privy to the Family's life, had done business with AL, his sister is in a relationship with AL's son. They would get together at the Family events , he would be aware of recent dissolvement of a AL's Company, the Estate sale and knowing that they were set to leave the Country. Most likely knew the home was vacant on the on side of the home, Stampede was starting (fireworks).

We can assume the motive was money, he took this on like a "hitman". This I just don't get it.

Just a dreadful musing... I wonder if DG was abused in some terrible way when he was younger, and also, if he had any history of abusing animals? Was his family involvement minimal by his own choice or was he excluded in family gatherings due to his past history or behaviours?

In the video with Allen Liknes he says that DG's truck was in disrepair and did not even have 4 wheel drive so he thinks he would have been limited in the places he could have gone. So a remote off road site is not really feasible.

It appears it was not as immaculate as was initially described. That also meshes with the rumored report that a local had seen a truck like DG's but it had rust spots and was not in mint condition.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1458419/allen-liknes-continues-searching-for-parents-nathan-obrien-3

What about the black SUV mentioned in a post earlier??? But I also heard that interview and was thinking the same. How AL mentioned the ford truck wasn't in great shape and would never make it very far to dispose of the bodies/evidence. I really think he was burning evidence and what he did with the bodies I am unsure (chemicals?). I do think he figured he would never be found out and had plenty of time to think this through...

Wow, what are the odds of the timing of this!? Not to sound too hokey, but it seems like other forces are at work here and this family could be found and brought home where they belong. Hoping all the eyes on the land will find something!

Not hokey at all, when I read Alberta_Louise's post I literally teared up and got goosebumps. I saw some fb posts from my friends in Airdrie showing tennis balls and the hail and I didn't even think of it.

Perhaps someone forgot to do the cloud seeding. Cloud seeding is done to prevent hail damage insurance claims.

Hoping that the victim's prayers are answered and this storm results in a thorough inspection of properties in all areas that Garland thinks are good body dump sights. Nothing short of a tennis ball sized hail storm could result in this type of crop and field inspection. Fantastic!

Maybe jealousy. Douglas is 54, born in 1959. He has a sister that is probably closer in age to her husband, maybe 38-46 years of age. That could suggest that Douglas was about 14 years old when his sister came along. That has been known to create problems where the younger child is in danger ... in some cases. If this happened when Garland was 12-14 years old, this was the same time that the family moved to the Airdrie acreage. Perhaps Douglas was a kind older brother, but I doubt it ... not given what he is charged with. Has Douglas been resentful of his sister all his life, and did he perceive that she placed him in a position to where her father in law took advantage of him, and did he believe that his sister adored her nephew Nathan?

We know that the murder relates to Alvin, but this is a complex case. What was his relationship with his sister such that nothing prevented him from violently attacking her extended family?

His parents are probably in their late 70s early 80s.

Maybe he felt she took his parents from him so he would take family from her. Kind of two birds one stone as he was angry with AL. JMO

Not hokey at all, when I read Alberta_Louise's post I literally teared up and got goosebumps. I saw some fb posts from my friends in Airdrie showing tennis balls and the hail and I didn't even think of it.

This is good in terms of locating the bodies. The crops are destroyed. They are going to bend in the sun and turn brown. From a helicopter, it will be easier to see something that doesn't belong. Alvin's son mentioned looking for rock piles that are recently disturbed. That is was happened to Victoria Stafford ... buried under rocks in the prairies.

Are there any gravel pits in the Airdrie area?

I just looked at KL's FB page and those Puzzle posts are making me crazy!! They must auto-post/advertise in her friend's news feed, but why oh why would her friends/family comment on these posts after the recent news? Maybe I would too if I was grieving, but (I think it's her brother) RP just commented on her puzzle:
'Hello
Call me'
It was posted 20 hours ago….kinda weird or maybe I'm reading way too much into this and still having hope myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member