Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting takeaways:
  • "I would call it a targeted murder, yes definitely". Combined with his pause when asked if it was a hit... I wonder if they're heading in that direction.
  • Before the news conference started I could hear (who i assume was) Hank Idsinga chatting in the background with the press and talking about how their initial M/S theory didn't hinder the investigation. He said that since they "have all evidence", it's ok/normal to change their minds over the course of the investigation
  • Also odd that PI investigation is now considered "closed". I wonder if that means they have no idea who did it? Or maybe they made a recommendation to the TPS, who want to take their time and complete their review of all the evidence before they make any arrests?

Question for legal experts here- if a lawyer was holding the original copy of honeys will when she was murdered, would the lawyer be obligated to report to police the fact that he had this will? What if he only had a copy, would he/she be obligated to report it?
If honey had the original copy and it was never found, I think now more than ever before that these killings are linked to the contents of the Sherman’s wills, and intentions for their estates.

He or she would contact the executors first.

Some interesting takeaways:
  • Also odd that PI investigation is now considered "closed". I wonder if that means they have no idea who did it? Or maybe they made a recommendation to the TPS, who want to take their time and complete their review of all the evidence before they make any arrests?
The investigative team has been scraped because it successfully completed its task of getting TPS to call this a double murder and not a Murder/Suicide. That is what they were hired for, plain and simple. Mission accomplished.

The investigative team has been scraped because it successfully completed its task of getting TPS to call this a double murder and not a Murder/Suicide. That is what they were hired for, plain and simple. Mission accomplished.
If that was their mission, it was accomplished jan 26, 2019.. almost a year ago, so that theory doesn't seem to exactly wash. imo.

What would happen in legal terms if H had previously had a Will prepared by the 'usual law firm' which the family always used for estate matters, and they held the original. But then H decides in Late November 2017 to get her own independent lawyer and seek independent legal advice and has her Will redone with or without telling her family she'd done so. H keeps the original and a copy is left at the law office of this new lawyer. After the deaths no Will is found inside the home anywhere, and so it's presumed that the older Will is still in effect... until this 'new' lawyer comes forward with the copy of the new Will.. What then? If things had changed substantially in the Will from the one to the other.. ?? Also, a lawyer holding a 'copy' of a Will in his office.. wouldn't he make it a true and legal signed and certified copy, in case something like this might happen (not murders, but say H died or lost the original)?

You don’t sign or certify wills prior to death. There is one original, and copies.

Having it signed and certified does nothing to rebut the presumption that a lost will is revoked by destruction.

The lawyer wouldn’t come forward. The executors would.

I wonder why the lead investigator shys away from the cameras, ala Brandon Price?

While Yim has been a constant in the case, the leadership of the Sherman murder probe has changed. In the first year of the case, Inspector Sue Gomes was in charge, with detectives Brandon Price and Kristy Devine assisting. Gomes then moved to take over the police force’s operations unit, then had a stint in the Toronto Police Talent Acquisition (hiring) unit, before returning to operations. Price, now a detective sergeant, took over as the officer in charge. Idsinga, well known for his work on the Bruce McArthur serial killing case, has taken a keen interest in the Sherman investigation.

Private investigation into murders of billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman is over, Toronto police and Sherman family say | The Star

Just to address the chatter about the realtor FaceTime call:

The couple that was touring B & H’s house when their bodies were discovered were Chinese. I don’t have the exact source right now, but I remember specifically reading that in a Star article from a few months ago. It said they were super horrified (obviously) and eventually bought another house in Toronto.

So it doesn’t seem bizarre or weird at all that the realtor was showing homes via FaceTime, since there was obviously a strong international market for that type of home. It’s possible that call was even the same couple that toured the house in person a few days later after confirming via FaceTime that they were interested. I don’t think that leads anywhere.

To me it’s really starting to feel like the act itself was done by someone in their inner circle- family member or close business associate- and not some shadowy stranger.

of course the call could come from anywhere especially China. But the fact that no faces were seen is rather strange.

when beginning the call, introducing yourself and why you are calling, wouldn’t faces be a normal thing?

You don’t sign or certify wills prior to death. There is one original, and copies.

Having it signed and certified does nothing to rebut the presumption that a lost will is revoked by destruction.

The lawyer wouldn’t come forward. The executors would.
The lawyer could have had two copies signed and witnessed at same time so he could also keep one in his files, couldn't he?
If an executor doesn't know about a new will, then how would they come forward with that information?

Last edited:
I was watching the press conference until it got preempted by a government press conference, still going on.

It's quite a disappointment after being announced as a "joint submission from both the TPS and the Sherman PI Team". Clearly nothing new is being revealed. The Sherman team has concluded investigating. TPS has opened a new tip line and is asking those who submitted tips to the Sherman team to resubmit them to TPS. It looks like TPS lost or ignored the tips passed to them and are saying they want them directly without being screened or editorialized.

The lawyer could have had two copies signed and witnessed at same time so he could also keep one in his files, couldn't he?
If an executor doesn't know about a new will, then how would they come forward with that information/

No. When you sign a will you revoke your past wills. So executing multiple originals doesn’t work (excepting the dual will strategy which isn’t what we are talking about). There is one valid signed original will.

The lawyer would contact the executors, as I have stated twice already today. It’s not like the lawyer wouldn’t hear about her death and the subsequent search for a will.

of course the call could come from anywhere especially China. But the fact that no faces were seen is rather strange.

when beginning the call, introducing yourself and why you are calling, wouldn’t faces be a normal thing?

the fact that there were no faces is super anecdotal, and we don't know if, or at what point in the call, their faces didn't appear. there could be many reasons why - if you've ever been on a facetime on an iphone, you'll know that if you go into another app for a few moments (i.e. to look something up in your browser), the facetime visuals cut out and just continue via voice, until you go back to the app. I just don't think it's that suspicious.

the fact that there were no faces is super anecdotal, and we don't know if, or at what point in the call, their faces didn't appear. there could be many reasons why - if you've ever been on a facetime on an iphone, you'll know that if you go into another app for a few moments (i.e. to look something up in your browser), the facetime visuals cut out and just continue via voice, until you go back to the app. I just don't think it's that suspicious.
I use Facetime all of the time. To not be seen is deliberate.

Most of the info about the crime seems to be anecdotal. What have the police said that can be attributed as fact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3