Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/it-ma...ple-found-dead-in-toronto-area-home-1.3763439

This one definitely sounds like murder/suicide. Neighbours were were told to go to the basement and stay there by LE.

I have to admit that it spikes my curiosity to wonder what would make a seemingly happy couple get into an event inspiring seeming homicidal rage before 5am...... unless they'd been at it all night or something? I guess mental illness doesn't necessarily care what time it is?

Remember there was discussion on the Sherman thread about the new property being in HS's name, and speculation as to why it was different than the ownership of their current property. I don't recall anyone ever posting whether or not it was actually ever reported as to the ownership of the present property. I came across this article this evening, which I hadn't seen before, which states that the current property was in both names. Just FYI.

"The North York home where their bodies were found was registered to both Shermans.."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-sherman-toronto-dead-apotex-1.4451452

This article says it was bought under a numbered corporation:

http://nationalpost.com/news/toront...after-bodies-found-in-couples-toronto-mansion
The couple bought the house in 1985 for $390,000, property records show. It was being sold under a numbered Ontario corporation with Barry Sherman listed as the sole director.
Friends say the couple was having a new home built closer to downtown Toronto.
Asked why the couple chose to list in winter — considered to be a poor time to enter the real estate market — the Sherman’s real estate agent Judi Gottlieb declined to comment.
“The Sherman’s were very dear friends of mine for many, many years and we’re all in shock,” she wrote in an email. “More than this, I’m not prepared to talk about.”

I have to admit that it spikes my curiosity to wonder what would make a seemingly happy couple get into an event inspiring seeming homicidal rage before 5am...... unless they'd been at it all night or something? ?
But the bankruptcy was a year ago, surely they had moved on?

But the bankruptcy was a year ago, surely they had moved on?

Do you lose just about everything when you are made bankrupt? I could see an elderly couple deciding they were just too old to start again

Please mark posts not about the Shermans with O/T (off topic) unless the post is clear that it is referring to a different case.

Is there a separate thread for the Oakville case?

Perhaps there should be?

I have to admit that it spikes my curiosity to wonder what would make a seemingly happy couple get into an event inspiring seeming homicidal rage before 5am...... unless they'd been at it all night or something? I guess mental illness doesn't necessarily care what time it is?

Please provide a link where it mentions mental illness? Missed that.

According to the Toronto Life article written 10 years ago (2008 - https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/), BS was then driving a 2005 Sebring convertible (only 3 years old?). From what we've read, he wasn't much into vehicles and had a history of driving his vehicles into the ground before he would, seemingly begrudgingly, replace them (he was reported to have only owned 4 vehicles in his lifetime).

So fast forward 10 years, there are 2 vehicles outside the home, only one of which (reportedly the vehicle HS drove) has been reported as having been towed away by police (presumably for forensic examination). ("On Thursday, the same day that a large memorial service was held for the couple, police were also seen towing a champagne-coloured Lexus SUV from the property. Neighbours told CTV Toronto that it was the vehicle that Honey would drive." - https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police-seen-searching-sewer-roof-of-sherman-mansion-1.3734344)

Then a month after their deaths, a second vehicle is brought out from the underground garage, to also be towed away by police. A 1999 Ford Mustang, reportedly owned by HS. Police seem to only be interested in HS's vehicles?

I wonder if HS had tried to commit suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning in the garage, and was discovered by her husband, who then dragged her to the pool area to remove her from the fumes, and subsequently discovered he could not save her, and so finished the job by trying to make it look like perhaps a double murder/assassination, and taking his own life too?

Police stated the COD for both as being 'ligature neck compression', but that doesn't rule out the possibility of an earlier, unsuccessful attempt at ending HS's life, by another method. It may also explain why LE hasn't said yet that it was a murder/suicide, or suicide/suicide (maybe it is complicated)? Why would they be interested in an old vehicle that nobody drove which was stored in the garage? (Could they have removed some other piece of evidence from the crimescene which they didn't want the media to see or become aware of, hiding it inside the Mustang, under the guise of wanting to examine the vehicle?)

Just random thoughts...

Please provide a link showing a mental health history for HS or previous suicide attempts? AFAIK there was none. Thanks

http://www.advocatedaily.com/jordana-goldlist-why-do-some-murders-get-more-attention.html
[h=1]Why do some murders get more attention?[/h]
The intense media and police focus on the suspicious deaths of billionaire couple Barry and Honey Sherman contrasts sharply with the fleeting attention given to those that occur in marginalized communities, says Toronto criminal lawyer Jordana Goldlist. “I think that if the public was equally concerned with the lives of some of the more unfortunate individuals, then perhaps the police would dedicate their resources accordingly,” Goldlist tells AdvocateDaily.com.

Barry Sherman, 75, founder of generic drug company Apotex and his wife Honey, 70, a prominent philanthropist, were found dead in their North York mansion in mid-December, the Toronto Star reports. Both died of “ligature neck compression” and police have characterized their deaths as suspicious.

Speculation has been rife in the media about the cause of their deaths.

Goldlist, principal of JHG Criminal Law, says she is not in any way suggesting that the deaths of the prominent couple are not a tragic loss for their family and the community, but she doesn’t understand “why society and the media were so obsessed with the case for weeks on end."

High-profile cases such as these put extra time pressure on investigators, Dave Perry, a former veteran Toronto police detective, tells CBC News. “It's not just the police, it's the public, it's the media, and it's of course the victims' families who want answers, and they want them right now,” he says.

O/t but somewhat related, fwiw.
Once went into a book store specializing in crime fiction and the nice woman there told me that LE once asked if she had a book depicting a particular crime. Did not ask her which crime, but she said that killers do get some of their ideas from books and some apparently compete with one another!
In the spirit of that line of thinking, might just read this book as it pertains to
Toronto and the Bridle Path area.
imo, speculation..ect.
https://books.google.ca/books?id=1E...e&q=Crang Plays the Ace + bridle path&f=false

Can everyone please keep their eyes open and help me find a link in MSM to a very recent and interesting law suit won by BS (Apotex) in the last few days? IMO

I heard a rumour from a source I trust but cannot yet find a link. IMO

Don't want to post more and violate TOS. Thank you. IMO

Edit: it happened on Jan 9th, 2018 and is in the Globe and Mail

Please provide a link showing a mental health history for HS or previous suicide attempts? AFAIK there was none. Thanks

Sorry, my random thoughts don't come with links. It was posted as a 'random thought', a *possible* theory, just as all of the other possible theories from all of the other sleuthers on this thread, since we really don't have any facts.
I'm speculating that things may not be what they seem, and things may be more complicated than murder/suicide (as police source(s) had initially apparently suggested to MSM).
There are no links for BS being a loose cannon either. And no links to show the two were murdered.
So we sleuth and theorize. jmo.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by deugirtni

Please provide a link where it mentions mental illness? Missed that.

This post was/is in regard to the latest death of another couple in Oakville, which is reportedly being speculated upon as being a murder/suicide. I would suspect that someone that loses it and kills his/her spouse after 25 years of marriage, might have suffered from a perhaps temporary lapse from mental wellness/rational thinking, but that's just me and moo.

"Sources indicate it is being looked at as a suicide or murder-suicide, though police have not confirmed as much, saying only that the investigation is ongoing."
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/two-found-dead-in-oakville-home

This article says it was bought under a numbered corporation:

http://nationalpost.com/news/toront...after-bodies-found-in-couples-toronto-mansion
The couple bought the house in 1985 for $390,000, property records show. It was being sold under a numbered Ontario corporation with Barry Sherman listed as the sole director.
Friends say the couple was having a new home built closer to downtown Toronto.
Asked why the couple chose to list in winter — considered to be a poor time to enter the real estate market — the Sherman’s real estate agent Judi Gottlieb declined to comment.
“The Sherman’s were very dear friends of mine for many, many years and we’re all in shock,” she wrote in an email. “More than this, I’m not prepared to talk about.”

Gotta love it when MSM has conflicting information.

Can everyone please keep their eyes open and help me find a link in MSM to a very recent and interesting law suit won by BS (Apotex) in the last few days? IMO

I heard a rumour from a source I trust but cannot yet find a link. IMO

Don't want to post more and violate TOS. Thank you. IMO

Edit: it happened on Jan 9th, 2018 and is in the Globe and Mail
If it is this news item, thinking it may have been previously posted. imo.
https://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-globe-and-mail-bc-edition/20180109/281951723212150

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8