Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK BS was known for patent busting. Once he had the formulas, he made less potent versions of the same drug. IMO
Yes, he did that too. He did the patent busting with the help of the “Promise Doctrine” which is no longer in existence. The Supreme Court abolished it last summer. Huge loss for BS and Apotex, IMO and more protection for innovators who shoulder the R&D expenses.

https://www.pharmainbrief.com/2017/...y-in-landmark-supreme-court-of-canada-ruling/

The “Promise Doctrine” has been conclusively rejected by Canada’s highest court as a basis for invalidating a Canadian patent. In a judgment that reverses years of jurisprudence in the lower courts, the Supreme Court of Canada today held that the level of utility required of a Canadian patent must not be measured by statements in the specification. This judgment brings Canadian law more closely in line with that of our international trading partners and is a significant win for patentees and pharmaceutical innovation in Canada.
http://www.thecourt.ca/astrazeneca-canada-inc-v-apotex-inc-supreme-court-overturns-promise-doctrine/
For patent holders in the pharmaceutical and technology industries, greater protection and peace-of-mind is offered by the understanding that fulsome disclosure in the specification of their vast patent portfolios will not jeopardize their patent rights

For litigants seeking to invalidate patents, the criteria offered through section 2 of the Patent Act is now harder than ever to make out in the absence of the Promise Doctrine.

Thank you for answering this. Alternate ways of manufacturing, like changing a few ingredients?

Yes, he did that too. He did the patent busting with the help of the “Promise Doctrine” which is no longer in existence. The Supreme Court abolished it last summer. Huge loss for BS and Apotex, IMO and more protection for innovators who shoulder the R&D expenses.

https://www.pharmainbrief.com/2017/...y-in-landmark-supreme-court-of-canada-ruling/

http://www.thecourt.ca/astrazeneca-canada-inc-v-apotex-inc-supreme-court-overturns-promise-doctrine/

Thankyou for that fascinating insight & the information on the recent abolishment of the patient busting "Promise Doctrine".On Websleuths you learn about almost every topic know to man.

:cow:

O/T
Someone way back asked about this. Other than the eyes, doesn’t Tom Klatt resemble a bit Robert De Niro? All I have is a link because I’m not yet allowed to post pictures.
http://www.tubefilter.com/2012/05/0...rises-partners-maker-studios-youtube-channel/

That was me, and YES! Thank you! Wow, what a resemblance, huh?
attachment.php

Attachments

• Klatt DeNiro YES.jpg
    Klatt DeNiro YES.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 243
Not sure if this was posted but The Fifth Estate was using actors to do a re-enactment for an upcoming episode
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-sherman-lookalikes-surreal

This seems like the epitome of bad taste, so close in time to the event. It sounds as if they were using the house (which is quite distinctive) as a set, but TPS is still holding the property - so CBC must have had their permission & co-operation to use it. Wonder if the family is in agreement? If not, the CBC is courting trouble. If they are, why? Is this an attempt to draw out information like Crimestoppers?

Thank you for answering this. Alternate ways of manufacturing, like changing a few ingredients?

My understanding is that he reverse-engineered patented drugs and developed alternate ways of making them - the changes, whether in the manufacture and/or the composition, being just enough to dodge patent infringement. For the future, does Apotex have or can they find anyone else with the intelligence to replace him, or can the company continue to thrive with their existing products?

nope. The quote refers to both text and audio. I will assume that text includes email as well as text. The point is there is differing info about the last time either of their phones were used to communicate. Imo

Email to me means computer. I never text. Of course, I only have a flip phone.

I am a little younger than Barry. Do people our age like to text?

It drives me insane

It drives me insane

I'm in the same age range, and to me, email can mean either smartphone or computer. Among my friends, text vs email seems to be a matter of personal preference. I use both.

Can someone please bullet point the article? I can't read it without a subscription......arghhh! lol
"...All seemed to be routine until something happened that caught people’s attention.
...Up rolled a silver Ford Mustang with a driver that looked like Barry Sherman at the wheel.
...Not only did he look like the Apotex founder but he was trying to emulate him — even wearing a wig.
...“I am doing a movie,” explained the driver.
...If it already didn’t seem bizarre, behind him in a gold-coloured Lexus RX SUV was a woman playing the part of Honey Sherman.
...For a few hours, it had the look that the Shermans were alive and back on Old Colony Rd.
...It was surreal.
...With a camera crew capturing it all, the lookalikes were driving up and down the street and turning into the driveway of a house next door. It was certainly eye catching.
...It wasn’t a movie but a re-enactment for an upcoming episode of the CBC’s The Fifth Estate — which will detail the final trip home for the philanthropic couple whose bodies were discovered in the pool area of their home. Toronto Police are now investigating what they say is a suspicious death."

http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-sherman-lookalikes-surreal

Very distasteful eh? At least wait until the police tape comes down. IMO Thank you Grey_St

Very distasteful eh? At least wait until the police tape comes down. IMO Thank you Grey_St
My pleasure. And yes, I tend to agree, very bizarre, imo.

It drives me insane
They seem pretty savvy and have kids (which to me is a big reason older people stay involved and updated if for no other reason). My mom is 2 years older than Barry and texts and emails on her iPhone and iPad. She doesn't have a PC anymore.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As much as BS was still involved with Apotex, he stepped down 5 yrs ago. Its being run by Dr. Jeremy Desai, IIRC

Its still a private company, might go public or be taken over. That remains to be seen. BS would have had Apotexs' affairs in order, IMO.

After all, it was BS who was surprised that someone hadn't had killed him off for $1,000, years ago. Be careful what you wish for.....eh?

dr Desai will now report to board of directors that does not include bs and may well include other family members and kids who do not have expertise in the business ( I am assuming here that the business has been left to family members). Of course those people will rely on management and outside advisors to provide advice on decisions. But it is very difficult to argue imo that the company will continue unchanged. Who knows what the motivations of these new members are? Are they willing to invest in new lawsuits? Do they want to monetize the investment by selling Apotex instead of going public? They may even have issues supporting Dr. Desai in anything other than the short term in view of the lawsuits brought by Teva in which he is named (details have been posted here previously). Just moo. In the meantime, let’s wait for LE to make something public.

This seems like the epitome of bad taste, so close in time to the event. It sounds as if they were using the house (which is quite distinctive) as a set, but TPS is still holding the property - so CBC must have had their permission & co-operation to use it. Wonder if the family is in agreement? If not, the CBC is courting trouble. If they are, why? Is this an attempt to draw out information like Crimestoppers?

I find this absolutely morbid to do this so soon, and it is WAY too soon IMHO. Obviously, the kids had to have given them the go ahead as they have seemingly gained 'control' over the investigation through the PI they hired. However, as upset as they where over the prompt assumption of this being a murder-suicide, I find it very strange that they'd be ok with a re-enactment of their death for a TV show so soon after they died. It makes my stomach turn to be honest. If these were my parents, I would be saying "ABSOLUTELY NOT!"

I find this absolutely morbid to do this so soon, and it is WAY too soon IMHO. Obviously, the kids had to have given them the go ahead as they have seemingly gained 'control' over the investigation through the PI they hired. However, as upset as they where over the prompt assumption of this being a murder-suicide, I find it very strange that they'd be ok with a re-enactment of their death for a TV show so soon after they died. It makes my stomach turn to be honest. If these were my parents, I would be saying "ABSOLUTELY NOT!"
It sounds like the episode is documenting their last known whereabouts and movements leading up to their deaths. I'd be surprised if the episode actually reenacted the crime scene, but we will see. I'm wondering if they are trying to garner further information from the public, from anyone who may have seen, heard from, interacted with, etc, the Sherman's before they passed away.

I agree though, that it's still quite bizarre.

I just started reading this forum a few days ago. Before I found this forum I googled daily and read everything I could find about these deaths. Did I miss it or have I not read anything here about the belts being pulled tight around their necks and buckled? I still can’t figure out how the belts could be tied around the rails unless they were really long belts. It also seems like the wrists would have had to have been bound at the back if the coats were pulled back as described. Also, I hate to sound stupid, but what does LE stand for? This is my first post so be nice to me 😳 Thanks.

Welcome to Ws Cehenrichs!
:welcome3:
Glad you found us, some of the information ( posts with links ) that you may be looking for can be found on the earlier threads if you are interested.
Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Photos from the Sun:http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-sherman-lookalikes-surreal
IMG_0485.jpgIMG_0486.jpg

This reminds me of the Tim Bosma case when a forensic expert explained how he proved that it was Tim's truck that was caught on CCTV footage by using a similar truck at the same location.

I'm wondering if this exercise was in part to duplicate the last images of the Shermans that may have been caught on CCTV cameras close to their home. Otherwise they could have filmed this anywhere. Especially not in front of the neighbourhood which has been through enough.

I'm also wondering if the police have found no evidence that anyone left the Shermans' home between the time the Shermans entered the home and the time their bodies were discovered.

(With the exception of the coming and goings of the house staff and real estate agent.)

It sounds like the episode is documenting their last known whereabouts and movements leading up to their deaths. I'd be surprised if the episode actually reenacted the crime scene, but we will see. I'm wondering if they are trying to garner further information from the public, from anyone who may have seen, heard from, interacted with, etc, the Sherman's before they passed away.

I agree though, that it's still quite bizarre.

I know Fifth Estate has done a lot of episodes about unsolved crimes, but not until the police have had a good kick at it and declared the case cold. And they'd spend months trying to create the 'definitive' documentary.

But I just looked at their show listings, and last week's was about "The Secrets of Soulpepper", and that story broke earlier this month, so I guess they're chasing after more recent news to try to get viewers.

Im not sure they had the permission of the family. Not even sure if a re-enactment requires the ok of a victims family?? IMO

Certainly tasteless though, even though they used the neighbours drive! IMO

I'd assumed it was dark when the Sherman's came home that day. On Dec 15 sunset would have been about 4:45. Yet the Sun photos shows the re-enactment is in broad daylight.

It's very strange they would do this re-enactment when no information has been officially released by police. I totally doubt TPS would use a TV program to re-enact a crime, they just release a description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal