Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“I am a suspect,” he told me Thursday. “I have to watch what I say.”

But as police do their jobs, I will say this: If it’s shown that Winter is not in any way involved, and his memory of Barry Sherman ordering a hit on his wife is a strange fantasy, hopefully there will be some medical help offered.
Soft-spoken Winter sent me a movie-style selfie shot for us to use. He also tells me he’s hired a media company to handle his requests — teasing that “Matt Dillon” is the best actor to play him in the movie.

http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...rman-deaths-murder-suicide-fails-lie-detector

KW didn't do it. He's just ranting because of what happened not only to him but his brothers. One is bi-polar and the other died from drugs. Not only did BS cheat him on his father's business, but his bio mother should have let them be raised by her relatives instead of this couple (forget their names) which was a BIG big mistake, IMO

I agree that he changed his story between interviews, and I don't know which interview he gave first. In one of them he said he could have left work whenever he wanted to and "done the deed" and in the other he said he couldn't have left work because trades people would have seen him. But I think they most likely died the evening before anyway.

It's my opinion the Sherman's died Wednesday evening when KW wasn't working.

If Honey arrived home at approximately 6:30 pm and Barry arrived around 9:15 pm. it's hard to know what time they were attacked.

If the Sherman's were wearing the clothes and coats they had on when they met with the Architect, Honey may have been attacked when she got home and the killer waited in the house for Barry to return and he attacked him when he entered his house.

KW said he attended a N,O. meeting Wednesday evening and I believe the counselor who lead the meeting is able to confirm to LE whether he was there or not.

LE can easily ask KW's neighbors if KW went directly home after the meeting ended. He said he lives alone so he doesn't have custody of his children. .

Soft-spoken Winter sent me a movie-style selfie shot for us to use. He also tells me he’s hired a media company to handle his requests — teasing that “Matt Dillon” is the best actor to play him in the movie.

Sounds to me Tortoise that KW is looking for a way to profit from the Sherman's deaths.

I so appreciate you analysis of comparing third world countries with the modern society we have in North America. We are deeply privileged, no doubt. But our society adapts to what we are dealt, and seeks to address the issues that our communities face. In North America, we have the privilege to even be able to address the issue of mental health, but I'm glad that we do it.

KW may be trying to do the hard work re: mental health and psychotherapy, but it's easier said than done. He just may not be where you expect him to be, yet. He's had a 56 year lifetime of problematic choice and circumstances to address. I began psychotherapy at 22 years old to understand my child and adolescent development and the impact of my circumstances and "choices" and ACE's. It can be fascinating and rewarding, but it takes time and can also be painful. I will likely never stop. I'm in a healthy place today, it can evidently work. He's not there yet.

Your posts are thought provoking and profound. You open my eyes. A bit wider.

If Honey arrived home at approximately 6:30 pm and Barry arrived around 9:15 pm. it's hard to know what time they were attacked.

If the Sherman's were wearing the clothes and coats they had on when they met with the Architect, Honey may have been attacked when she got home and the killer waited in the house for Barry to return and he attacked him when he entered his house.

KW said he attended a N,O. meeting Wednesday evening and I believe the counselor who lead the meeting is able to confirm to LE whether he was there or not.

LE can easily ask KW's neighbors if KW went directly home after the meeting ended. He said he lives alone so he doesn't have custody of his children. .
One of the groups I looked at had its 12 step program on a Sunday (Southern Ontario C.A.) and attendees were asked to email attendance beforehand as spaces were limited. I couldn't check past meeting dates only those going forward, and I have no idea where he lives or if that is the group he attends.

One of the groups I looked at had its 12 step program on a Sunday (Southern Ontario C.A.) and attendees were asked to email attendance beforehand as spaces were limited. I couldn't check past meeting dates only those going forward, and I have no idea where he lives or if that is the group he attends.

Thank you Tortoise. Afaik, KW lives in Toronto, Ontario, the same City the Shermans lived in.

I don't know much about Narcotics Anonymous but I doubt they post the names of those who attend their meetings since it's called 'Narcotics Anonymous'.

The only person(s) who can likely access this confidential information is LE.

Toronto, which is located on Lake Ontario, is the most populous city in Canada and the provincial capital of Ontario.
Toronto has an estimated population of 2.81 million in 2016. The greater census metropolitan area (CMA) has a much larger population of 5.5 million.

For some reason, this case leads me to think of the Timothy Bosma case here at WS. The Toronto police missed so many things in retrospect.

(the thread for his father was closed but supposedly the last I saw the case was supposed to go to trial this year? Does anybody know?)

I do hope sincerely that the Toronto police have looked closely at the video tapes, as with Bosma , they missed putting a murder in jail way before a ?third murder because they didn't review the tapes and follow up perhaps.

I haven't read any reports that said the maid was with the realtor when their bodies were found. Do you have a link?

Is she a live-in maid? Because Barry didn't show up for work on Thursday, it looks like the couple died on Wednesday evening yet their bodies weren't discovered until Friday, close to noon.

If the maid works everyday, it's odd that she didn't suspect or notice something was off before the real estate agent showed up on Friday around noon, and they found the bodies.

However, the maid is a key witness in this case.
This was discussed very early on if I remember correctly. We wondered all the same things. I do believe the maid was at the home on Friday when the agent arrived, but it was reported that staff never tended to the pool area, so they couple remained undetected. A maid may not come everyday, either, she could have only been there Friday.

That's true, but by 1974, it was no longer an option. There was not a continuous transfer of ownership from the original Empire Company to Apotex. So it's not a reasonable assumption that the children can claim 20% ownership of Apotex.

"In 1974, Sherman founded Apotex, which is in the business of manufacturing and selling generic pharmaceuticals. As sworn by Sherman – and as found by Justice Perell and confirmed by the Court of Appeal – Apotex did not own or use any of the assets, goodwill, property or business of the Empire Companies. The definition of “purchased business” in the asset sale agreement of the Empire Companies and the option agreement does not apply to Apotex. At paragraph 157 of his reasons, Justice Perell found that “Apotex cannot be interpreted to be the “Purchased Business” under the Option Agreement……The Plaintiffs’ interpretation is wishful thinking beyond fanciful.”

I suspect that if the Empire Co had been sold to someone other than Rich Uncle, there would never have been another word said about the 20% limited, qualified, contingent and conditional employment agreement and option agreement.

I don't know much about the legalities, but it seems to me BS took steps beforehand in order to circumvent the fiduciary obligation. (Here I'm posting a few snippets from news articles, there's a couple other quotes I can't seem to find atm)

Taking advantage of loopholes and taking preemptive actions, making it all perfectly legal, so the courts will rule in his favour in case he was sued in the future. JMHO MOO "There is no God, no free will, no altruism and no morality, Mr. Sherman wrote in what he titled A Legacy of Thoughts.

I guess being an atheist, and not fearing God's punishment, might have helped him ease his conscience for not doing "the right thing." None of this takes away the fact that he was a very intelligent, bright and hard-working man. JMO MOO

If there’s a science gene, Barry inherited it. Two of his mother’s brothers were doctors. A third, Lou Winter, a biochemist with a keen business sense, was the relative he most resembled. After Herbert Sherman’s death, Lou became Barry’s father figure and mentor, bringing him into his drug business, Empire Laboratories, when he was 18.

Barry was made his uncle’s legal heir when it seemed that Lou and his wife, Beverley, couldn’t have children.
[1965] Just three days after his aunt died, Sherman made a similar proposal to the trustees of Lou Winter’s estate. No dice, Empire — and the children’s inheritance — was held by a pair of lawyers, a number cruncher and Royal Trust.
[1967] Sherman — a man with all the angles covered — hinted darkly to the board that the Winter orphans could sue Royal Trust for negligence.

So, the two friends bought Empire for $350,000 thanks to loans from Sherman’s mother, Sara, and Ulster’s dad.

But there was a stipulation that would come back to haunt the billionaire:
the orphans would get jobs with the company when they turned 21 and
have the right to purchase shares.

There was another but: THAT would only happen if Sherman kept control of the business.

In 1970, as sales of Empire were climbing steadily, Sherman met the love of his life: Honey Reich, a U of T student. She was cute, smart and funny.
A company called ICN Pharmaceuticals wanted to buy the reinvigorated Empire. Just under $2 million. A non-compete agreement aimed at Barry was easily evaded by a loophole.

Within a week, the trustees had put the company up for sale. Sherman and Joel Ulster, a high school friend, bought it for approximately $350,000, beating out a Montreal firm. Sherman’s mother, Sara, guaranteed a loan of $100,000 and Ulster put up $150,000 borrowed from his father, who also arranged for an operating line of credit.

Two options were added to protect the Orphan Children—the phrase that the surviving sons, now in their late 40s, still use to describe themselves.
The first states that all of Lou Winter’s sons would be given the opportunity to become “responsible full-time employees” once they turned 21 or completed their formal education.
Second, any employed child who worked two years with the company would “have the right to purchase five per cent of the issued shares of the company or companies owning the purchased business.”
However, the option could be exercised only if Sherman, Ulster or Ulster’s father kept control of the business.

Those were promising years for generic drug companies. Empire’s annual sales, now including the generic psycho*pharmaceuticals Librium and Stelazine, reached almost $2 million.

Then, in 1972, ICN Pharmaceuticals expressed an interest in buying Empire and merging it with their Canadian operations. Sherman and Ulster, ambivalent at first, decided to let ICN evaluate their company. When the offer came in at just under $2 million, they took it, netting a few hundred thousand each.
ICN made it a condition of sale that none of the principal shareholders in Empire could go back into the same business for five years. Fortunately for Barry, his shares were held by Bernard C. Sherman Limited. ICN must not have noticed the loophole. When Sherman launched Apotex the following year, ICN didn’t exercise its non-compete clause.

Sources for quotes:
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/the-life-and-tumultuous-times-of-barry-and-honey-sherman
https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/

It was my understanding BS had a senior position in Empire, if the company was not doing well, could BS have been one of the reasons it was not doing well, resulting in a fire sale price to him?

Sorry if this has already been answered (I'm catching up), but no, Sherman was not at Empire when the company's performance started to slide:

RBBM

"....in November 1965...Barry received a middle-of-the-night phone call at MIT...Barry attended Lou’s funeral, then visited Beverley in the hospital, where they talked about what might happen to Empire and the children’s future interests. He said that if she and the executors wished, he would take over the business and protect its value for the benefit of the children. In return, they would have to grant him the right to purchase the company if it came up for sale. Beverley discussed the idea but made no decision. Seventeen days later, she was dead.

Three days after her death, Barry made the same proposal to trustees of the Winter estate. They said no, that they would continue to run the business. And so the children’s legacy—Empire Labs and a trust fund—remained in the hands of two lawyers, an accountant and Royal Trust.

Barry returned to school and completed his PhD. His dissertation led to his first patent, a system to control satellites in orbit. He was a young man with great prospects when he abandoned astronautical engineering to seek an opportunity in a scientific business, the one he knew best, and returned to Toronto early in 1967. He looked into Empire’s performance—either out of concern for Lou’s sons or a personal desire to buy the company on the cheap—and reported to the trustees that sales had declined from more than $1 million a year in 1965 to about $800,000. He suggested that Lou’s children might some day hold Royal Trust liable for negligence if it didn’t keep Empire from insolvency.

Within a week, the trustees had put the company up for sale. Sherman and Joel Ulster, a high school friend, bought it for approximately $350,000, beating out a Montreal firm. Sherman’s mother, Sara, guaranteed a loan of $100,000 and Ulster put up $150,000 borrowed from his father, who also arranged for an operating line of credit."

https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/

Thank you Hazel. I noticed someone earlier (I think) said he waited 5 years, but I knew I had read before that he circumvented the 5 year stipulation by means of a loophole.

How would his neighbors know what he did or didn't do after his NA meeting, if it pans out that's where he was? It's cold, folks aren't sitting out on their front porches, if they'd even be paying attention if they were.

That's the first I've ever heard of this protocol, it may have been a special event? From what I know through my clients in Toronto, NA and AA meetings are everywhere all around the city at multiple and varying times a day. You just look one up, and go show up. They don't take your information for privacy reasons, and folks bounce from different meetings all over to fit their schedule for that day or week. There's usually one home group though close to where the individual resides. Everyone knows everyone, for the most part, so it could still be verified, but it really is a code that no one tells anyone if you were present or not. LE may be a different story, however.

For some reason, this case leads me to think of the Timothy Bosma case here at WS. The Toronto police missed so many things in retrospect.

(the thread for his father was closed but supposedly the last I saw the case was supposed to go to trial this year? Does anybody know?)

I do hope sincerely that the Toronto police have looked closely at the video tapes, as with Bosma , they missed putting a murder in jail way before a ?third murder because they didn't review the tapes and follow up perhaps.

Hopefully that won't happen in this case because the family hired a seasoned private investigator.

LE asked the Sherman's neighbors for surveillance videos.

Why wasn't the Sherman's security cameras not working when the murders occurred?

KW didn't do it. He's just ranting because of what happened not only to him but his brothers. One is bi-polar and the other died from drugs. Not only did BS cheat him on his father's business, but his bio mother should have let them be raised by her relatives instead of this couple (forget their names) which was a BIG big mistake, IMO

I tend to agree that KW did not do this. I read about the Daily Mail interview (?) (what a nut) but didn't watch it. I watched The Fifth Estate episode and my reaction is that he is attention seeking and, in this day and age (MSM, social media, YouTube fame), possibly sees an angle that THIS is an opportunity; it is how he can get his hands on some riches and some fame. He seems very relaxed, can tell a story well; and at times it does seem like he is acting, playing a part. (Now we have the TO Sun interview with a movie type shot and an actor to play him suggestion?) I think it would be very apparent if he was trying to pretend he was not involved. And gabbing away like that in a coffee shop? I doubt it (if he was part of this crime)!

What I also found interesting about TFE episode, is what was not said, and that is more content about Honey Sherman. It was pretty much entirely BS focused. I find it hard to believe that TFE would not have tried to get various people to speak about HS in more depth. Not anything bad, just more substance, detail about her character, working with her, and her tireless philanthropic work. I'm not inferring anything, just pointing out the absence of content on her.

In his interview with The Star KW gave an alibi. I think KW is confused and that's why he's mixing things up. He needs to step out of the spotlight and let LE do their job imo. His interviews with the Press are not serving his best interests..

In some ways, I think its better we see and hear from KW. IMO

Although Im sure it bothers the Sherman family to see him out there, IMO its a good thing for him to be more public.

His interviews and articles won't interfere with the work of LE. IMO

How would his neighbors know what he did or didn't do after his NA meeting, if it pans out that's where he was? It's cold, folks aren't sitting out on their front porches, if they'd even be paying attention if they were.

Many thousands of people in TO don't even know who their neighbours are, never mind if they are home or not.

I have a 'curtain twitcher' across the road, so she watches everyone but thats very unusual.

Most just drive into their garages, go through to the house and lock the door til its time to leave again.

If theres no garage, they exit the car and go inside. So different from years ago, you would even speak to your neighbours and watch each others kids etc.

Adding more to the Timeline:

[1970]
Goodman remembers being Sherman’s boss after his employer at the time, California-based ICN Pharmaceuticals, bought Empire from Sherman in the early 1970s. After about six months, he was ordered to fire Sherman and reluctantly did so.

“I fired him. He would tell me later that was the best thing that ever happened to him,” said Goodman. “He says, ‘Don’t worry about it, Morris, I was planning to quit anyhow.

[1970]
In 1970 he invested in New York's Barr Laboratories with US-based partners, became its largest shareholder and served as Barr's president. As of 2000, he controlled about 33% of Barr Laboratories' stock. Barr won the first rights to manufacture generic versions of Eli Lilly's Prozac.
Today, Barr Laboratories' is a part of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, the world's largest generic drug maker, following Teva's acquisition of Barr Pharmaceuticals in 2008

[1971]
Sherman married Honey Reich in 1971

[1973]
In 1973, Sherman started Apotex with a few former Empire Laboratories' personnel and he incorporated it in 1974.
Sherman has spent a lot of time dealing with legal matters since he founded Apotex, the country’s largest generic-drug manufacturer, in 1973.

Apotex Inc., a generic drug manufacturing company that he founded in 1973
Sources for quotes:
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/no-10-barry-sherman/
http://www.dpa-international.com/to...ims-targeted-double-homicide-180127-99-819541
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sherman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member