Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The son did remove his yarmulka while speaking of his father, however.
RBBM

What was the significance of that please.

His dad, BS, was a self proclaimed atheist, according to the bio that he had started writing. BS was still culturally/ethnically a Jew.

MPs mum about possibility of national drug plan

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/health/pharmacare-health-committee-report-1.4515249

"Gagnon said because there are multiple drug buyers in the country, including*hospitals, provinces and*the private system, it's led to several middlemen, needless price mark-ups and overall higher prices."

(Looks to me like with the generic drug pricing shakeup we are seeing, the new pot pill partnership would be the new hope for Apotex profit increases... In my totally unqualified opinion :) )

Info on the pot partnership from CannTrust website:
https://canntrust.ca/2503-2/

"Mr. Sherman founded Apotex Inc., the seventh largest generic pharmaceutical company globally, and the largest Canadian-owned player in the space. CannTrust and Apotex are partners in a joint venture under which CannTrust provides the raw material (dried cannabis) to support development of novel dosage formats, such as sustained release and other proprietary dose forms. Apotex is a major player in its markets, and employs 11,000+ people globally. While Friday’s news is tragic, and without diminishing Mr. Sherman’s importance, we remain confident that the joint venture will continue its work towards pharmaceutical product development."

(The part about making a sustained release pot pill sounds especially full of profit potential and patents to me!)

I recorded this from tonight's episode on the Fifth Estate. It's at the 33:48 mm.

"On the evening of Wednesday, December 13th, Barry and Honey Sherman headed home for the very last time. Each in their own vehicles, Honey left Apotex at 6 pm and Barry at 8:45 pm. It’s believed neither left the house again."

There was plenty of time for the murderer to kill Honey before Barry arrived..

I understand why someone would want to murder Barry, but I can't understand why they would want to kill his wife.

Weren't there any staff in their home on Thursday?.

I wonder, did the murderer kill Honey as soon as she arrived home (she still had her coat on) and then waited for Barry to arrive? Or held her hostage until Barry arrived? Either way they were in the house for a long time. They would have to be very confident they wouldn't be discovered.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Have not seen anything further about the jewellery found outside the Sherman home, has anyone else seen a followup?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42864082
Feb 4 2018
rbbm. Indeed, who actually committed " the deed " ?

"

I don't think Dr. Olivieri was "nuts" as BS put it as I found these other clinical trials of the drug in question from 1990's it was deferiprone. "Four trials reported mortality; each reported the death of one individual receiving deferiprone with or without desferrioxamine. One trial reported five further deaths in patients who withdrew from randomised treatment (deferiprone with or without desferrioxamine) and switched to desferrioxamine alone. Seven trials reported cardiac function or liver fibrosis as measures of end organ damage."
Published 2013 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0013053/

Have not seen anything further about the jewellery found outside the Sherman home, has anyone else seen a followup?

No, haven't seen anything else on that dotr...but if something were out there, I'm sure you would have found it!

Thank you for always updating with current news!

Why is it they don't let the public know if it was a burglary? Wouldn't that benefit their neighbors too? Makes me wonder if they had not had their house for sale, if this ever would have happened.

They have. "Targeted double homicide" is not compatible with a burglary gone wrong. It means that whoever did this went there for the express purpose of murdering the Shermans, and that they intended to kill both of them.

As for whether this would have happened if the house was not up for sale, it could have played a role in the timeline or accessibility, but it's unlikely it was the direct cause. (IMO)

I have seen speculation that some of the developers involved in building the house could have been irate when they saw it listed, and the same work that BS called "a disaster" and sued them for was being described as an architectural gem. Seems like a stretch IMO when there were so many more immediate conflicts that he was at the heart of.

MOO.

“
When KW states that he passes the first one with flying colors, and then failed a following one - could the difference between the tests be because controlled question are used to establish a baseline. The subsequent tests following the set baseline, are when questions are introduced that determine psychological reaction.

Am I misunderstanding how they work.

He didn't pass the first one. His lawyer told him it was inconclusive. The second one he failed.

I know it was double homicide! What we don't know is if anything was taken. Honey supposedly had a huge diamond collection. KW said that and could have said that to someone in a bar or whatever.

With the house being prepped for showings, Id think the diamonds would be elsewhere. Just a guess. IMO

Umm, yes Barry Sherman was Jewish. He claimed to be an atheist.

He was a secular Jew, but not an observant one. It's very possible that he himself is eschewed the yarmulke and other trappings of the more religious side of the traditions. JMO only, but that's what I assumed when his son chose not to wear it while speaking of his father.

They have. "Targeted double homicide" is not compatible with a burglary gone wrong. It means that whoever did this went there for the express purpose of murdering the Shermans, and that they intended to kill both of them.

As for whether this would have happened if the house was not up for sale, it could have played a role in the timeline or accessibility, but it's unlikely it was the direct cause. (IMO)

I have seen speculation that some of the developers involved in building the house could have been irate when they saw it listed, and the same work that BS called "a disaster" and sued them for was being described as an architectural gem. Seems like a stretch IMO when there were so many more immediate conflicts that he was at the heart of.

MOO.

Thank you. I should have remembered the "targeted" part. That lockbox just bothered me, so easy to get access to someone's home. I never allowed that on our homes. I'll bet the realtor came up with the architectural gem part.

With the house being prepped for showings, Id think the diamonds would be elsewhere. Just a guess. IMO

Yes I would hope so. I was thinking of KW talking about her diamond collection and if that is spread around, some unknown might really think it's there. Anyway that's moot.

This article was written a week after the bodies were found. The police already said it was a double homicide based on the physical evidence.

Many couples have opposite personalities which complement each other. And many couples rib each other with friends. Hardly a smoking gun to murder suicide. Again, no signs of forced entry means anything. There was a realtor's lock and it is easy to knock on the door and HS lets someone in.
I am not sure why people are going down this road of murder suicide again when the police and all the leaks say otherwise.

Because I listen to my gut feelings and think independently. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here are my thoughts.

After reading this article and listening to KW on the Fifth Estate, there is no evidence to prove someone entered the home and murdered the Sherman’s. As you probably know, polygraph tests are unreliable and that’s why they are inadmissible in Court.

Why was Honey beaten but not Barry? If the killer was angry with Barry and he was their target, why was Honey beaten instead of Barry?
LE said Honey was beaten elsewhere and her body was moved so that tells me she was killed first or knocked unconscious and then dragged or carried to the pool area where the belt was tied around her neck. Because Barry was in the home, why didn't he intervene when his wife was attacked? If she screamed, I doubt any of the neighbors could hear her. If there were two killers, why wasn't Barry attacked and beaten too?

If someone wanted Barry dead, why murder him in his house when Honey was there? Why risk entering the home and killing Barry when Honey is able to call 911 for help? This happened when Barry and Honey were alone in the house and the killer knew no one else was around.
It’s common knowledge that a man has more physical power than most women and although there is physical evidence proving Honey tried to defend herself when she was being attacked, she couldn't. Barry just happens to be a big and powerful man.

If Barry did murder Honey, do you think he would want to go through a trial, live with the consequences of his actions, and spend the rest of his life in a prison cell?

It seems to me that the murderer was angry at Honey, not Barry. If the murderer was angry at Barry, again, why wouldn’t he beat Barry?
According to KW, the only person who hated Honey was Barry and many people knew their marriage was in trouble for a very long time.
As far as we know, police haven’t found any evidence that proves someone entered the house and killed the Sherman's, so it makes sense that someone who lived there did it. This crime is personal and the rage was directed towards Honey, not Barry.

No forced entry, no DNA, no POIs, no suspects, no real leads, no Reward being offered for information that leads to the killer.

The fact that the security cameras weren’t working tells me that the person who committed the crime made sure they weren’t working to conceal what they did to Honey.

I think it stinks that some are making judgement on BS not handing these ingrates 20% of his business, just because he was the unlucky one whose offer to purchase Empire was chosen over the other offer when the trustees SOLD it on the open market. He should've just started his own company right then, instead of having the monkey of those 2 options on his back. The real problem is that the elder Winter never bothered to think ahead to look after his family by figuring out what would happen to his company in the event of his early demise, and how his kids would be taken care of.

Imagine if BS had NOT made an offer to purchase Empire, and the sale had instead gone through to the Montreal bidder. Would that bidder have had to sign an 'options' clause to look after the previous owner's kids several years into the future? I think not!

Empire was for sale on the open market, and just because BS happened to have a close personal relationship with the deceased, he became beholden to the 2 options. Meanwhile, he had to borrow money to buy it, and had his OWN intelligence with which to run such a business, which had zero to do with the orphans or his deceased uncle. It seems Empire actually required some brains to run the biz successfully - it had lost 20% of its annual revenues when run by the trustees before selling, but yet they chose NOT to allow BS to run it when he had offered to do so. Later it was listed on the open market, when BS paid MORE than the competitor. BS wasn't given any breaks or 'deals' because of his personal relationship with the deceased, he bought it fair and square, in fact paying MORE than the competitor was willing to pay.

Why should BS have been penalized like that? Without BS's offer, the other firm would have been the buyer for less money, and without such stipulations. That seems unfair right off the bat.

BS and his partner turned the company around to double its revenues within a few short years, attracting another company to want to buy it. They got an offer too good to pass up, and so they sold it to them. And along with the sale, went the 'options' requirement for the orphans. The orphans were still young at the time, so there was no question they hadn't met the requirements of the options.. and for all BS knew at the time, the orphans had been adopted into a loving family, as I don't believe he had contact with them at that time.

It was okay for the trustees/executors to make a business decision to sell the company they had been entrusted to look after... but it wasn't okay for BS to do the same with the company he paid for? The trustees got off the hook from being responsible for the orphans' future windfall, but BS was supposed to keep that obligation forever, even when he sold the company and no longer had anything to do with it? All because he happened to know the dead guy?

Who says any of the kids would have worked there in the first place, nevermind having been able to stick it out for minimum 2 years as 'responsible fulltime employees'? And wasn't it 5% per each orphan of the 'issued shares' - how many shares were 'issued', and what was the purchase price of the shares, and would the orphans have even have wanted to spend any money they had on making such a purchase by the time they met the requirements? At age 15 it seems KW started getting into trouble - and what would have been different if BS had not sold Empire? KW's and his brothers' issues don't seem to have anything to do with who owned Empire. BS selling or not selling, wasn't going to impact the family lives of the orphans, how they were being raised by their new family, their genes, or etc.

I got the impression that after selling Empire, BS remained on as an employee, but then was fired after 6 months. It was only then that BS made the decision to start up his own company, from scratch. He was good at it, and on it went to become what it became.

One way or another, at one time or another, by one party or another, Empire sold and no longer had anything to do with the orphans. The orphans presumably would have received the proceeds of the sale of Empire when the trustees sold it, the monies which BS paid for it, just as they would've received the proceeds from any other buyer, and that would've been it. But later, BS was said to have been like a 'bank' to the orphans, with KW's 'allowance' alone being up to $20,000/week at one point. He funded their businesses, bailed them out of trouble, tried to get them help when needed, bought them properties, funded their unsecured loans.

BS *was* being generous with them, even though not obligated to be, until the orphans got greedy and started thinking they were entitled to even more. Too bad for them that they didn't just continue to enjoy having a sugar daddy and become productive business owners, each in their individually chosen fields, with benefit of a great business mentor, instead of getting greedy, spending probably hundreds of thousands on legal fees dragging whoever they could through the courts, for years, trying to get more, and losing out on the generosity afforded them by one of Canada's wealthiest men. How many courts and judges will it take until they accept that their entitlement ended decades ago? Do they have any regrets in how they handled themselves? Did they already get their revenge?
[FONT=&amp] “For me it isn’t about shekels, it’s about revenge!” [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]https://torontolife.com/from-the-archives/barry-sherman-bitter-pill-from-the-archives/[/FONT]
Goodman remembers being Sherman’s boss after his employer at the time, California-based ICN Pharmaceuticals, bought Empire from Sherman in the early 1970s. After about six months, he was ordered to fire Sherman and reluctantly did so.

“I fired him. He would tell me later that was the best thing that ever happened to him,” said Goodman. “He says, ‘Don’t worry about it, Morris, I was planning to quit anyhow.’ And he started Apotex (in 1974).

[FONT=&amp]https://www.thestar.com/business/20...r-barry-sherman-will-be-tough-to-replace.html[/FONT]
I appreciate your input and point of view. For me though, I've never really laid judgement or shame on BS, and I certainly don't believe anything he did in life warranted his death. I just find a lot of what went down, as strange, and I would have done things differently. He seemed like a very detached man. He was mentored and cared for by his uncle after his own father passed away, because of that experience I would have thought he would want to do the same for 4 young cousins who lost both their parents.

He's defended himself for his zero contact, and did so like it was no big deal. Never was it said that he actively tried to have a relationship with them and the adoptive parents stopped him. I also think RT let them down, and have stated so. I suspect their home life had some issues, with maybe the parents not knowing how to handle the complexities involved with having adoptive children. So it's really not all BS for me. Things like this just sadden me, and make me sympathize with the 4 young children they once were, at that time. I can hold that sympathy, and also be appalled with KW's behaviour today, both can exist.

Yes, BS was very generous later in life when they reconnected, but that's also something I find strange for some reason. All this time, the cousins never really knew what happened to their father's company, completely oblivious. When they went looking for more information, they were likely blown out of the water with what they found. The lawsuit had a lot to do with money, no doubt, but I think it also had a lot to do with feelings of betrayal and seeking justice, they felt something was wrong. Whether or not BS was legally able to do what he did, or how common place these business decisions are to some folks here, this is how the cousins felt. They truly believed they had a good case. I can't really fault they for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member