Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There doesn't need to be a commercial advantage to the killer(s)- at least not from the killing of BS. Even so, I can think of some possibilities- for example what if BS had agreed that he would advance/invest additional funds in return for equity in the project and the associates of the developer didn't want the developer to give up (what they deem to be their) equity. There are any number of possible scenarios.

The murders could have nothing to do with direct commercial advantage resulting from the murder of BS- why do you assume that? Maybe it was to send a message to someone (the developer?). Other potential lenders?

I have no idea if commercial lenders are regularly murdered in Iran. and if so, for what reason(s).

What do you mean by associates? Shareholders?

How specifically would they deem it to be their equity? I assume in this scenario there is no shareholders’ agreement despite the fact that it is a billion dollar project?

Do you think commercial lenders across Canada would get the message not to invest? Doesn’t seem very clear.

What do you mean by associates? Shareholders?

How specifically would they deem it to be their equity? I assume in this scenario there is no shareholders’ agreement despite the fact that it is a billion dollar project?

Do you think commercial lenders across Canada would get the message not to invest? Doesn’t seem very clear.

Maybe you didn't read the G&M article I posted?
The developer's former "associates" were/are suing him for damages, claiming an interest in One Bloor West, in addition to a number of other properties. The developer disputes their claim, and has indicated that his life has been threatened by these individuals.
I have no idea what type of shareholder or other agreements the developer, Mr. Mizrahi entered into with these associates, or with other parties. Similarly, I don't have any idea if the murder would in fact scare off other potential lenders- I guess on the face of it if I was an individual charged with approving this loan, (even if I was employed by a large commercial lender) and there was a risk I would be murdered if I made the loan, then yes, of course that could impact my decision.
My point is simply, and I will say again, that this murder case may not be related at all to the fact that Mr Sherman directly or indirectly provided mortgage financing. It may be instead meant to to send some kind of a message to some other party/parties that are conducting or could potentially conduct business with this developer; or with his "associates", or another party. If I knew the answer, I would let LE know.
All moo

All of the following is MOO.
Followers of this thread will recall earlier postings that revealed that BS had provided mortgage lending on a real estate development (One Bloor St) in Toronto. The developer of the project is Mr. Sam Mizrahi. Mr Mizrahi (an ex Iranian) is/was evidently being sued by two former associates of Iranian descent, Khashayar (Khash) Khavari and his brother-in-law, Mahmoud Tajbakhsh. These individuals claim that Mr. Mizrahi misappropriated funds from two previous mid-rise projects. Mr Mizrahi alleged that he was subjected to threats of violence and death by these former associates.

One of the associates had allegedly been involved in illegal activities in Iran- "...Mahmoud Khavari, had become one of Iran’s most wanted men, having left his position as the chairman of the country’s largest bank and fled to Canada amid a corruption scandal. Iranian authorities continue to pursue Mr. Khavari, who they allege helped embezzle $2.6-billion (U.S.) from the country. The regime appears willing to go to extraordinary lengths to bring him back, according to court documents and government sources…. Mr. Mizrahi, in his sworn statement, says the Khavari family and CSIS officials informed him in 2011 that the Iranian government was sending a “special force” to Toronto with the aim of spiriting the former banker back to Tehran..." (my emphasis added).

All the above info was extracted from https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...ve-and-the-bitter-condo-feud/article30833853/

I reread the above article, and then went online and discovered that (my emphasis added):
“…hanging is the only common method of execution in 21st-century Iran…Compared to other countries that use hanging (such as Japan or Malaysia) with a complex gallows designed to drop the condemned and break the neck, Iran's gallows are very simple and inexpensive. They consist only of a frame and a stool, with some stools able to hold up to seven people at a time and having wheels. Public executions are usually carried out by a mobile crane. Sometimes the victim is suspended from the crane, but more often the crane is used as a gallows and the person is pulled off of a stool (see Upright jerker).[SUP][45][/SUP] Iranian nooses are thick, with 7–10 knotted coils, and are often made of blue plastic rope with little to no drop. Death is caused by strangulation and carotid reflex (where blood vessels to the head are cut off), taking 10–20 minutes…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Iran

and (my emphasis added)

“…execution by hanging is the most common method of capital punishment. Iran – where 369 people were reported executed in 2013 – leads the world in hangings…”
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/30/execution-methods.html

I also came across numerous pictures of supposed executions in Iran, many of which had methods of suspension and death very similar to that reported for the Shermans (low height, semi seated position, etc.). One such example (red t shirt picture) is here and is almost exactly the same positioning as what has been reported for the Shermans: Warning- graphic pictures and material

https://www.en-hrana.org/photo-report-public-execution-ghaem-shar-iran

I am wondering if there could be a connection between the Sherman’s murders, and BS’ real estate lending activities?

NB- No offence meant or intended to any person of Iranian origin or extraction.

All the above IMO

After reading this it makes the cousins look like pansies. The method used to kill them looks like it would come from the people in this article. MOO

Aurobindo Pharma eyes European business of Apotex
Feb 21, 2018, 07.59 AM IST

Aurobindo Pharma has expressed early stage interest in the European business of the $1.7-billion privately held Canadian drugmaker Apotex. Known for its highprofile litigations in the US against MNC pharma players, Apotex has put on the block its European operations as part of a wider consolidation effort, said industry sources.

The deal may be valued at around $100 million ...

Read more at:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...n-business-of-apotex/articleshow/63007576.cms

Apotex review of generic operations includes potential sale of European Unit
The Globe and Mail-1 hour ago

Apotex Inc. is weighing a reconfiguration of its global footprint, a process that could result in the sale of its European division. The Toronto-based company is believed to have begun soliciting bids for its European arm, which includes operations in ...
Apotex spokesman Jordan Berman declined to comment on a specific sale, but he confirmed that a review was underway. "Like all generic pharmaceutical companies have been doing, we began assessing our global footprint last year to determine the optimal market mix for our operations. We consider the details surrounding any potential divestiture confidential," he said in a statement Wednesday.

The review comes during a tumultuous time at Apotex. Company founder, Barry Sherman, 75, and his wife, Honey, 70, were found dead at their Toronto home in December and, last month, chief executive Jeremy Desai departed unexpectedly. Mr. Sherman had been the driving force at Apotex and he was still overseeing the company's drug formulations at the time of his death.

(rs&bbm)
Full article (for subscribers only)
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...-see-european-arm-jettisoned/article38056348/

Maybe no law broken but can't use the results because the conversation with KW was leading putting the "pool" or whatever else into his thoughts before the polygraph began?
The results can't be "used" for anything anyway. Polygraph tests have no merit in a court of law. Leading an individual, if you want to call it that, or making reference to something, won't affect if they lie or tell the truth, imo. That's what the test detects.

Maybe you didn't read the G&M article I posted?
The developer's former "associates" were/are suing him for damages, claiming an interest in One Bloor West, in addition to a number of other properties. The developer disputes their claim, and has indicated that his life has been threatened by these individuals.
I have no idea what type of shareholder or other agreements the developer, Mr. Mizrahi entered into with these associates, or with other parties. Similarly, I don't have any idea if the murder would in fact scare off other potential lenders- I guess on the face of it if I was an individual charged with approving this loan, (even if I was employed by a large commercial lender) and there was a risk I would be murdered if I made the loan, then yes, of course that could impact my decision.
My point is simply, and I will say again, that this murder case may not be related at all to the fact that Mr Sherman directly or indirectly provided mortgage financing. It may be instead meant to to send some kind of a message to some other party/parties that are conducting or could potentially conduct business with this developer; or with his "associates", or another party. If I knew the answer, I would let LE know.
All moo

Why send a message? Just kill them

A debt secured by way of a registered mortgage is so mechanical that killing the principal of the lender seems nearly pointless.

The death of the BS has no impact on the debt. The debt to BS (secured by a mortgage) just gets transferred and becomes an asset of the estate of BS. Unless there were some particular amendments to the mortgage documents, BS's death does not change a single thing.

Except that, possibly, one of the two Iranian groups that are feuding, was sending a message to the other Iranian group. The recipient of the message was being financially assisted by BS.

Did Barry and Honey Sherman have a Will? I wonder who the Executor is.

Re post.
http://www.macleans.ca/news/barry-a...slowing-the-cops-down-at-apotex-headquarters/
[h=1]Barry and Honey Sherman murders: What’s slowing the cops down at Apotex headquarters[/h] [h=2]Files covered by solicitor-client privilege might hold the case-breaking clue. Who decides whether police can see them?

[/h]
Michael Friscolanti

January 29, 2018
Toronto police are now certain of the what and the how: Barry and Honey Sherman were indeed murdered, strangled to death in a “targeted” attack. Who wanted them gone—and why—is the mystery that remains.
detectives had already interviewed 127 people (and counting), seized nearly 150 items for forensic analysis, and amassed 2,000 hours of surveillance footage from home and commercial security cameras near the crime scene
That detectives are anxious to pore through Barry Sherman’s electronic communications is hardly surprising. Now that police are sure they’re dealing with a double homicide—and busy compiling a list of adversaries who might have wanted the couple dead—Sherman’s computer files could very well contain the case-breaking clue. Which begs the next obvious question: What if that clue is hiding in a privileged record, shielded from police because it’s considered solicitor-client communication?

Maybe no law broken but can't use the results because the conversation with KW was leading putting the "pool" or whatever else into his thoughts before the polygraph began?

But he didn't pass the polygraph his lawyer set up for him either. Not sure if all the details of the investigation were confirmed at the time of the polygraph for TFE filming. I wouldn't read too much into that comment but if was intentional then i think it is brilliant. If someone had no knowledge of the specifics of the crime then it wouldn't have created much of a reaction. KW already said he embellished his stories so the failed polygraph was relatively accurate.

Given their wealth, company, assets and litigation over the years it is impossible Barry and Honey did not have a will.

Pretty confident they would have a will. Executor has no power. They just follow what the will outlines. Most Executors (if they are close friends to the deceased) will waive any offer of an Executor fee. Not all Executors are in the will. Usually with an estate this large, they are friends with business experience who can facilitate the liquidation of the assets quickly.

Pretty confident they would have a will. Executor has no power. They just follow what the will outlines. Most Executors (if they are close friends to the deceased) will waive any offer of an Executor fee. Not all Executors are in the will. Usually with an estate this large, they are friends with business experience who can facilitate the liquidation of the assets quickly.

Correction - they would each have a will. And the executor could just as easily be a professional (lawyer or accountant), particularly with a large and complex estate.

Seems to be some problems in TPS at the moment against the Chief :(. This can't be good for the case IMO. Big write up at CBC,
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...idence-in-chief-saunders-vote-finds-1.4547021

McCormack said almost 48 per cent of members participated in the vote.

Eighty-six per cent of the Toronto Police Association (TPA) members who responded to an online vote say they have no confidence in Chief Mark Saunders.

Members were asked "do you have confidence in the Chief's leadership?" in a vote held between Feb. 14 and 21.

If the Sherman's had a will, it becomes a public document. after it is probated.
A trust agreement, however, is a private document and can keep information confidential.
Some people replace their wills with a trust.

If someone feels that they were treated unfairly in your will, a legal battle could ensue. In some cases, it may be possible for your will to be varied (changed) – called "compulsory succession." A properly drafted trust can be watertight so that challenges to your wishes may be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo