Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to the article coming out which will clearly state what l know and haven’t put on this site. I can assure you Misty: not wasted energy on M/S. Hopefully....days away.
Interesting: B. Greenspan’s trying to run interference. Guess he’s a little bit concerned.

Kerry, I think a lot of us are looking forward to this article being published.

Personally, I'd like an update from TPS as to where they're going with the investigation, even if it has stalled or they're mired in financials still.

Its been too long with no word, IMO. MOO. etc

Reading the ruling in the Toronto Star regarding the Winter children's quest for a 5% share of Apotex, a few of points come to mind.
1) The 'law' and 'justice' are often mutually exclusive.
rsbm
Interesting comment, but I think it's much more complicated than that. I think it would be more accurate to say the courts do not always supply a remedy for life having been unfair.

It's very sad that that the Winter's lost both their parents at such a young age. I think that meant their lives turned out very differently than it probably would have, and so did Barry Sherman's. I can understand how that feels extremely unfair. But that doesn't automatically mean it was illegal.

MOO, just my perspective, but I wouldn't consider any amount of money to be sufficient compensation for the loss of my peace of mind that comes from a complex lawsuit like that. I would just reread Bleak House.

rsbm
Interesting comment, but I think it's much more complicated than that. I think it would be more accurate to say the courts do not always supply a remedy for life having been unfair.

It's very sad that that the Winter's lost both their parents at such a young age. I think that meant their lives turned out very differently than it probably would have, and so did Barry Sherman's. I can understand how that feels extremely unfair. But that doesn't automatically mean it was illegal.

MOO, just my perspective, but I wouldn't consider any amount of money to be sufficient compensation for the loss of my peace of mind that comes from a complex lawsuit like that. I would just reread Bleak House.

Agree. That which is legal has nothing to do with that which is moral.

People often think they will get a morally correct decision but law isn't about morals, its about the law and only the law.

Also, and its of no comfort whatsoever, even if the Winters had won money from Apotex, it would not 'fix' the traumas that were incurred when their lives were abruptly and irrevocably changed as little boys.

Agree. That which is legal has nothing to do with that which is moral.

People often think they will get a morally correct decision but law isn't about morals, its about the law and only the law.

Also, and its of no comfort whatsoever, even if the Winters had won money from Apotex, it would not 'fix' the traumas that were incurred when their lives were abruptly and irrevocably changed as little boys.
I don't know about that. It seems pretty obvious to me that the Winter's parents were concerned with leaving their children a future, not just money. It really makes me wonder why BS sold the company in the first place, then started the same business? Was the intent simply to not have to be burdened by that 5% for the rest of his life? Think of the company as an investment. If you, as a child, are left that investment which is destined to be worth billions (as I'm sure BS foresaw), and your guardian sells that investment for pennies, only to buy back that investment for himself, should he not be held to the same conditions that the will specified?

Everything I have ever read about BS is a conniving piece of crap, and I have no doubt that he purposely screwed the Winter children out of what was rightfully theirs.

I don't know about that. It seems pretty obvious to me that the Winter's parents were concerned with leaving their children a future, not just money. It really makes me wonder why BS sold the company in the first place, then started the same business? Was the intent simply to not have to be burdened by that 5% for the rest of his life? Think of the company as an investment. If you, as a child, are left that investment which is destined to be worth billions (as I'm sure BS foresaw), and your guardian sells that investment for pennies, only to buy back that investment for himself, should he not be held to the same conditions that the will specified?

Everything I have ever read about BS is a conniving piece of crap, and I have no doubt that he purposely screwed the Winter children out of what was rightfully theirs.

And, IMO, everything you have written would fall into the 'moral' part of my statement.

The courts have found it all to be legally correct.

I guess it's not really such a mystery why someone would feel driven to kill him. No Big Pharma plots necessary.

Good question about why he sold the company. It sounds from this article How Barry Sherman built his multibillion-dollar fortune

that Sherman (using a loan from his mother), along with his friend, and his friend's father, bought Empire for $350,000. A few years later they were offered $2 million for it. They each made a whack of profit and dissolved their partnership. Sherman later started his new business without any partners.

I don't know whether he thought about his cousins at all. I think it likely he was solely focussed on making his first million and other people never crossed his mind. He was definitely not the kind of person I'd trust to take care of my interests.

Thinking of Honey`s Polish roots, the double deaths of a high profile couple, the belt ect. and this comes to mind..
Fwiw.
Piotr Jaroszewicz
rbbm.
Jaroszewicz's body, found in his upstairs study, had the belt that had been used to strangle him intact secured by an antique ice axe from his collection. The attackers had also beaten him, yet bandaged those wounds as well.[2]

Solska's body was right next to her husband's. Her hands had been tied behind her back, and she had been shot in the head at close range with one of the couple's hunting rifles.[2] Investigators believe that she had earlier manage to injure one of the killers during a struggle with him or her, since blood from her and an unknown individual were found in another room in the house.[3]

The killers appeared to have searched every room in the house. However, they only took what were presumed to have been documents from one safe. Valuable old coins and art were left behind, suggesting the thieves, despite what seemed to have been extensive preparation, were not motivated by financial gain.[2]

Friends and family said that Jaroszewicz had been acting even more paranoid than usual in the days before the murders,[3] which were determined to have occurred on 1 September, two days before the bodies were discovered. The killings received wide media attention in Poland, due both to Jaroszewicz's past leadership and the brutality of the crime, which had not been seen since World War II. In the absence of solid leads, theories circulated that the killers had been looking for information with which to blackmail Solidarity leaders, or victims of the Communist regime looking for revenge and/or evidence of past crimes. No suspects have ever been identified.[2]``

And, IMO, everything you have written would fall into the 'moral' part of my statement.

The courts have found it all to be legally correct.

This sounds kind of cold on my part. I don't mean it to sound so 'clinical' and if you read Satchis' last paragraph, I share his/her feelings.

To paraphrase, I'm not sure BS gave it much thought as he had just come into what he considered a lot of money. Thus began his lust for more and more money. Did he even think about the 5% to the Winter boys?? Don't know.

I guess the other question is, did any of the Winter boys ever meet the standards in education to work at Apotex and remain employed for the time needed to inherit?

I also wouldn't want him to be in charge of my interests from what I have read about the man, IMO, MOO.

What gives you the impression the Winter parents 'were concerned with leaving their children a future, not just money'?

This thought is the First reasonable sensible one that has been made since the murders! IMO. I wasn’t aware of this, that Apotex was the distributor, but to me, it makes a good starting point for the TPD to have been investigating.

You may have opened the door to a firestorm!

I am starting to wonder if Apotex' involvement in the fentanyl business could be related to this crime. Apotex markets the product, and consequently acquires significant quantities of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API). Perhaps certain parties who are acquiring/selling this product illegally were concerned with Apotex acquiring significant quantities; reducing the API supply; and driving up the API costs? Pure speculation on my part, but I haven't seen this discussed previously.

One thing that has bothered me is Barry seemed to treat, gift, loan the Winter children much money in their adult life. I am thinking of the houses each lived in and the number of homes Kerry owned.

Did Barry go through periods of being nice to the children and seeing to it that they lived a fancier life style? What was the arrangement? Was Kerry the main one dissatisfied with what he was given as he always wanted more.? We can all dream “what if” but the reality is another thing. Didn’t the children, as adults, live a decent life?

One thing that has bothered me is Barry seemed to treat, gift, loan the Winter children much money in their adult life. I am thinking of the houses each lived in and the number of homes Kerry owned.

Did Barry go through periods of being nice to the children and seeing to it that they lived a fancier life style? What was the arrangement? Was Kerry the main one dissatisfied with what he was given as he always wanted more.? We can all dream “what if” but the reality is another thing. Didn’t the children, as adults, live a decent life?
It seemed that Barry was simply *being* nice to the children, and it wasn't until the kids started suspecting nefarious reasons for his generosity and suing him for breach of a defunct contract that all of that stopped.

"Kerry winter admits that for many years Sherman was “like a surrogate dad and I was like an adopted son.”"

How Barry Sherman built his multibillion-dollar fortune

I think it should be kept in perspective that BS had offered to preserve the value of the Empire business on behalf of the children, but his offer was declined by both their mother and the trustees who looked after the estate and the business after the parents were dead.

Also, it should be kept in perspective, imho, that BS was only 23 years old when he made the offer as above, which was declined, and only 25 when he purchased the company which was for sale on the open market and had another lesser offer on the table, which offered none of the stipulations that BS was subject to in his own offer to purchase. The company that bought Empire came to Empire's door, rather than vice versa, and it is reported that BS and his partner were 'ambivalent at first'. They allowed the interested party to evaluate the Empire business and when offered 2 million dollars, they took the deal.

From my way of thinking, the boys' parents were the problem, as sad as that is to acknowledge. First in not allowing them to be adopted by family who actually wanted them, and perhaps even loved the boys, and second in failing to make arrangements for how the business would continue if both parents died. To expect that a trust company/bank would be able to operate a such a business seems unrealistic to me anyway. It seems that Uncle Lou had taught BS some things about the business, and conveniently allowed him to take charge while the couple went on vacations - but when it came time for someone to take the reigns and look after the company after death, BS was left out and his offers unwanted.

It wasn't until some 14 years later that the boys were reintroduced to BS, at which time he immediately started treating them like sons, even though during those years he had started his own family and had his own children to worry about, but he was viewed by the cousins as merely a bank ("Behind his back, Dana called him “Bank Sherman.”"). They were each given opportunities and money, but somehow it wasn't enough to get them on the right track after the forlorn life they had apparently lived with their adoptive family, and instead the boys started viewing the generosity as suspicious.

The word greed comes to my mind, and not from BS's end, but that is just my opinion.

Barry Sherman's cousins strike out in court battle
Barry Sherman’s cousins strike out in court battle
Thanks for posting this August 29th article. Just wanted to elaborate on some of this in case it later disappears:

"Cousins of the late Barry Sherman have lost their bid....
"A three-judge panel of the Ontario Court of Appeal on Wednesday upheld a lower court’s decision ... The justices also agreed with the lower court that the lengthy legal battle was an “abuse of process” by the Sherman cousins.
"The cousins were hit in the pocketbook as they were ordered to pay $60,000 to cover the legal costs resulting from defending the appeal. That amount is tacked on to the $300,000 in legal costs that the cousins owe to Sherman since September 2017 when Superior Court Justice Kenneth Hood ruled in the billionaire’s favour.
"Sherman, who was murdered last December along with his wife Honey, had directed millions of dollars to the cousins over the years, but cut it off once they sued him.
"“It would be unfair and an abuse of process” to enable the cousins to take the dispute to trial, stated the appeal court panel ... "

This thought is the First reasonable sensible one that has been made since the murders! IMO. I wasn’t aware of this, that Apotex was the distributor, but to me, it makes a good starting point for the TPD to have been investigating.

You may have opened the door to a firestorm!
Some earlier discussion on these pages instigated by matou, that subject matter/post, is awaiting mod approval.
ETA Reported my post to see if it is now okay to post.
"matou said:
Hearing whisperings of fentanyl associated with this r.e. police investigaton".
Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #1

Last edited:
I am starting to wonder if Apotex' involvement in the fentanyl business could be related to this crime. Apotex markets the product, and consequently acquires significant quantities of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API). Perhaps certain parties who are acquiring/selling this product illegally were concerned with Apotex acquiring significant quantities; reducing the API supply; and driving up the API costs? Pure speculation on my part, but I haven't seen this discussed previously.

Apotex is one of forty pharmaceutical companies being sued by the province of British Columbia due to fentanyl abuse and deaths. I haven't heard of any other murders of the CEO's or owners in the other 39 companies who manufacture fentanyl. Online searches show that illicit manufacturers have had an easy route to an ample supply of the ingredients for home grown production. China has been a huge supplier by online order and mail shipments. This source has been finally targeted by the US government, but other suppliers will take over. IMO Apotex's involvement in fentanyl is not a motive for murdering BS.

I find it curious that Ontario's Premier Ford, has weighed in on a lot of issues over the last few months, such as 'buck-a beer', snitch-lines, welfare reform, sex-education, but as far as I know, not one word on the Sherman case.

The fact the TPS is saying nothing nine months into the case, to me, points to the fact the case has gone cold or they know what happened and who did it, but have no way of laying charges, possibly for geo-political reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member