Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't really off topic. I wasn't a WS member during the JonBenet Ramsey case. I just watched a two-part youtube documentary from 2016 which seems to prove that the Colorado DA (Alex Hunter) and some administrators made it their mission to protect the wealthy Ramsey's from the beginning of the investigation. Finally, both LE and the FBI demanded a Grand Jury inquiry, and Hunter replied "I need to get to my people, this is a political decision". That statement certainly gave me a dose of reality. Even after the Grand Jury voted to indict the Ramseys, Hunter spun it so the public thought the opposite, and the G.J's private vote wasn't revealed for years later.

This documentary (three hours) is well worth watching due to the illustrious panel of experts who reviewed the evidence. (they think son Burke killed his sister and the parents covered it up). Regardless of how you feel about their decision, it is relevant to realize how political clout can hamstring LE in a murder investigation involving wealthy suspects. The Sherman's were immensely wealthy and also politically involved at the highest level. I have to say that it has really made me pause, and reflect on the controversy that has developed in the Sherman case. I never thought that I would have doubts about the integrity of the investigation. It is not a good feeling.

I've been saying for quite some time that the Ramsey case is very similar to this one. The key similarity being that in both cases charges really would make no difference because no charges could be laid. If as I suspect, Burke Ramsey was the culprit, he was too young at the time of the crime to be criminally responsible, and Barry Sherman was already dead and couldn't be charged either. This gives investigators a little bit of justification in bending to political and public pressure.

And While we are talking about the Ramsey case, let me say this; there is a "pineapple moment" in this case. On the day before their deaths, Honey Sherman missed a board meeting with no word from her. This was so out of the ordinary for her that she was contacted because of worry for her well being. Her response was that she "was dealing with some stuff". I believe that this was an early indication that her personal life was beginning to go off the rails. I've always said that there are no coincidences when it comes to a murder investigation. This is a key piece of evidence coming straight from the victim.

The paperwork does not happen overnight, but Barry and his wife were at the property on the night that she was murdered.
Link? I had read that the couple had had a meeting with the architectural firm which was held at the Apotex offices, with HS leaving to go home before 5pm, and BS leaving 2-3 hours later.

Re post of article concerning the new house.
The house Honey and Barry Sherman would have built | The Star
By Victoria Gibson Dec. 28, 2017
"Honey and Barry Sherman’s new house would have been filled with light.

The property at 91 Old Forest Hill Rd. is desolate now, an empty 25,000-square-foot lot near Eglinton Ave. W. and Spadina Rd. where a house once stood. The plot of land was registered in Honey’s name in November 2016, and the old house had been demolished to make way for something new".

"They wanted tray ceilings in their bedroom, where the centre is slightly higher than the rest. A whole room was designated for luggage.

You could take the elevator to the main floor, where a breakfast area would have sliding doors leading outside. The pool area would have an air lock and a change room, with a “jets area” on one end. A stone staircase would weave around the side of the house. There would be concealed doors behind the servery (as well as a set upstairs), and a television hidden behind an “art lift mechanism” near a double-sided fireplace.

The basement was to have a space for staff — a sitting room, a bedroom and a bathroom — as well as a bar and an event room.

Outside, gardens would wrap around the house, with spots designated for sculptures. An outdoor dining area included a barbecue station, trailing over to a concrete path, another sculpture and a high garden wall. Stepping stones would lead you to the driveway. Three vehicles could fit in the garage, which included a car lift."

"The Old Forest Hill Rd. property was transferred to Honey for $0 in 2016 from Abraham J. Green Ltd. The property was once owned by another prominent couple in philanthropic circles and the Jewish community, the late Al and Malka Green. Honey and Malka were both directors at the Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center for Holocaust Studies."

BBM

And what? What recent past history of what is what? Police investigations are not about favourable or not, they are about enough evidence to lay charges according to the criminal code. Have at it - find a suspect for the Sherman double murders, or look at the fact that no one else was there and he might have been really pissed at her.
OP: I strongly agree with what you write. The recent past history regarding recognizing homicides in general hasn’t been entirely favourable toward LE.

By not favourable, the OP means that LE's interpretation of some past murders have been plain wrong. In fact, it seems they chose to take the easy route and focus on the KISS principle (which some seem to be suggesting is good enough in this Sherman case as well), which in the end, hindered their ability to produce evidence for the Crown in prosecuting the murderer(s). Had LE instead operated with open minds, collected evidence, and then followed the evidence, it could have saved lives.

I am speaking of the Laura Babcock and Wayne Millard cases specifically. By the time LE figured out they needed evidence because the crimes were not as they initially may have appeared, it was too late to collect evidence - CCTV was recorded over, crimescenes were adulterated, people had lots of time to get stories straight if they felt they needed to, etc. Thankfully in *this* Sherman case, the family hiring their own set of investigators and paying to have second autopsies performed, has, at the very minimum, served the purpose of keeping LE on their toes in this case and performing the due diligence with which the public *assumes* all cases are being treated in the first place.

Shoot the messenger! That's helpful.

I followed this case until the day that the family successfully forced the police to change their analysis and understanding of the crime scene from murder/suicide to double murder. As soon as that interference occurred, I lost faith that police can act independently.

Today, I do believe that the family is much happier having the deaths categorized as an unsolved double murder rather than family violence. That's what Barry would have wanted.
Just to clarify, are you saying that KW is the 'messenger' who is being shot? If so, you *do* realize that KW has been battling the Shermans in the courts for the past 10 years and had no inside knowledge of the victims during this decade since the relationship ended when the lawsuits commenced? Not exactly a messenger with with any real knowledge, and not a messenger with whom LE would be sharing details of an investigation into the deaths of the people being sued, imho.

Link? I had read that the couple had had a meeting with the architectural firm which was held at the Apotex offices, with HS leaving to go home before 5pm, and BS leaving 2-3 hours later.

Why would the Sherman’s go to a lot on a cold winter’s night? It is dark. There are daylight hours for that. I believe,as you have written, they went to the office

BBM

And what? What recent past history of what is what? Police investigations are not about favourable or not, they are about enough evidence to lay charges according to the criminal code. Have at it - find a suspect for the Sherman double murders, or look at the fact that no one else was there and he might have been really pissed at her.
I can imagine, BS was really pissed and very tired of defending against completely unwanted future plans of his wife. I can also imagine, why they were found at the pool area: maybe a last thought by a successful "$$-collector", which area would be least harm to the sale (because a sale would happen anyway).
But what's with the fact (?), that HS died in another room - could BS have been able to carry/drag his wife to the pool area by himself? AFAIK, there were even stairs between the different locations.
What's with the fact, that BS' legs were at the end neatly stretched side by side - 100% discipline by him to be as successful as always in his life with his last deception maneuver? Possible or not?

It's nothing new to commit suicide with a belt and a railing. Ryan Alexander Jenkins, a Canadian murder suspect, hanged himself from his neck by a belt in a motel in a British Columbia town called Hope.

Is it worthwhile to speculate that it was murder? Perhaps, but the simplest explanation is that he did it by himself: suicide.
Police have stated publicly that the 2 deaths *were* in fact murder, so, I'd say that yes, it is worthwhile to speculate that it was murder. Thankfully TPS took their time, did some investigative work over the course of a month, and did NOT accept the simplest explanation, which has led to wrong answers in the past. Things are not *always* as they appear.

Why would the Sherman’s go to a lot on a cold winter’s night? It is dark. There are daylight hours for that. I believe,as you have written, they went to the office
Here at WS, our information has to be backed up via MSM articles. This is what I have read:

Barry and Honey Sherman were both at Apotex headquarters late in the afternoon on Wednesday, Dec. 13. They had a meeting with architects from the firm designing their new home in Forest Hill, an upscale Toronto neighbourhood.

Honey left Apotex first, before 5 p.m. Barry, founder of the generic drug giant, left in the early evening. His last known email from his Apotex account was sent between 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m., sources at Apotex say. The Star could not determine the contents of the email, but it was business-related. The Star could not determine if anyone at Apotex responded to the email.

Both Shermans went to their home on Old Colony Rd. that Wednesday evening. The house was for sale, with a listed price of $6.9 million.

How the investigation into the deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman turned from murder-suicide to double homicide

Last edited:
RSBM
Perhaps the verified insider can answer the question of whether Barry had ever been to the property of their next new bigger better down-sizing house at the demolition site prior to the night that he murdered his wife.
How on earth would one even consider that the verified insider could possibly know whether 'BS had ever been to the property of their next new bigger better down-sizing house at the demolition site prior to the night' that he supposedly murdered his wife? Unless KW had been stalking the couple for the past 10 years, he was kept completely out of the loop and knew none of the actions or thoughts of the deceased couple from the moment he sued Barry and Apotex some 10 years earlier.

OP: I strongly agree with what you write. The recent past history regarding recognizing homicides in general hasn’t been entirely favourable toward LE.

By not favourable, the OP means that LE's interpretation of some past murders have been plain wrong. In fact, it seems they chose to take the easy route and focus on the KISS principle (which some seem to be suggesting is good enough in this Sherman case as well), which in the end, hindered their ability to produce evidence for the Crown in prosecuting the murderer(s). Had LE instead operated with open minds, collected evidence, and then followed the evidence, it could have saved lives.

I am speaking of the Laura Babcock and Wayne Millard cases specifically. By the time LE figured out they needed evidence because the crimes were not as they initially may have appeared, it was too late to collect evidence - CCTV was recorded over, crimescenes were adulterated, people had lots of time to get stories straight if they felt they needed to, etc. Thankfully in *this* Sherman case, the family hiring their own set of investigators and paying to have second autopsies performed, has, at the very minimum, served the purpose of keeping LE on their toes in this case and performing the due diligence with which the public *assumes* all cases are being treated in the first place.
I believe the Wayne Millard & Laura Babcock cases played a big role in the direction of this case. If TPS had listed this as a murder suicide, they knew the family would start a media storm comparing this case to TPS's handling of those cases. No harm in listing this as a double homicide and letting it die, and nobody can throw stones because they can't prove anything. Police have all the evidence and they'll never make it public as its an ongoing investigation.

Just to clarify, are you saying that KW is the 'messenger' who is being shot? If so, you *do* realize that KW has been battling the Shermans in the courts for the past 10 years and had no inside knowledge of the victims during this decade since the relationship ended when the lawsuits commenced? Not exactly a messenger with with any real knowledge, and not a messenger with whom LE would be sharing details of an investigation into the deaths of the people being sued, imho.
I understand what you are saying but... I'm sure KW was aware of a lot more about BS over the last decade than you think. I have a brother that I don't really speak to, yet I do find out from mutual friends and family what he and his family are up to.

RSBM

How on earth would one even consider that the verified insider could possibly know whether 'BS had ever been to the property of their next new bigger better down-sizing house at the demolition site prior to the night' that he supposedly murdered his wife? Unless KW had been stalking the couple for the past 10 years, he was kept completely out of the loop and knew none of the actions or thoughts of the deceased couple from the moment he sued Barry and Apotex some 10 years earlier.

Just a thought, but since KW is/was in the home renovation business, he might have connections and communications with other builders, home renovators ect. who might know of, or participate in plans for the new home and share that information with KW.
speculation, imo.

I believe the Wayne Millard & Laura Babcock cases played a big role in the direction of this case. If TPS had listed this as a murder suicide, they knew the family would start a media storm comparing this case to TPS's handling of those cases. No harm in listing this as a double homicide and letting it die, and nobody can throw stones because they can't prove anything. Police have all the evidence and they'll never make it public as its an ongoing investigation.
One can have themselves vetted as a verified insider or verified expert if one has inside knowledge on a police investigation and/or a murder. In doing so, when one states 'facts' in posts, the posts may be taken without the grains of salt. Otherwise, posts are opinion only and should be duly noted as such so as not to confuse readers between fact and opinion.

That said, how about if we allow for some time to investigate this case? Media is not aware of what exactly has been included in their 'production orders' and/or search warrants, as some of them still remain sealed; nor are they aware of who they've questioned, what evidence was gathered at the crimescene over a month, who they might be looking into as potential suspects, whether they have yet crossed the hurdle of obtaining files from Apotex, what exactly both sets of autopsy findings were, etc. I'm not sure why this case seems to be expected to be solved so quickly, while other cases often prove it can take even years to solve and/or to gather enough evidence to bring criminal charges. TPS not only has the family and their team of hired investigators watching them, but also at least one duly competent investigative reporter. This isn't going to just go away. imo.

As I have posted previously, it *can* potentially make a huge difference to assorted issues, by listing this as something it is not. Insurance, Wills, beneficiaries, who dies first may change the course of the Will(s), etc. This is not comparable to an underage child not being publicly accused since prosecution is impossible anyway. This is not comparable to elected officials making determinations. In Canada, our system is set up to prevent conflicts of interest. imo.

Just a thought, but since KW is/was in the home renovation business, he might have connections and communications with other builders, home renovators ect. who might know of, or participate in plans for the new home and share that information with KW.
speculation, imo.
Sure. And so might I. And how valuable and/or correct would that third-hand information potentially be? All I know, is that *if* that is the case, then TPS is also aware of it, and I'm confident we can trust them to interview people to get a handle on what may have been known by a person who only 6 days prior, had not only lost at appeal in a 10 year lawsuit, but also ordered to pay $300,000 in costs. jmo.

I understand what you are saying but... I'm sure KW was aware of a lot more about BS over the last decade than you think. I have a brother that I don't really speak to, yet I do find out from mutual friends and family what he and his family are up to.

and, in law, what you 'know' about your own brother are hearsay and rumour.
nothing factual about secondhand information, in law.

BBM

The past history of undetected homicides.
Ontario chief coroner reviewing ‘concealed homicides’

Yes, I get that. I could be a neighbour of the Sherman family, and therefore vetted as an insider in this case since I may have knowledge of certain things pertaining to the case. That however, wouldn't give me license to spread rumours and hearsay and 'my take' on conversations potentially shared between the insider and others with unknown informational value.

Does anyone else think that Barry Sherman was an awful lot more clever than he has ever been given credit for??

After killing his wife (according to some), he not only strangled himself, then hanged himself right beside her BUT he was considerate enough to pose his legs straight out, same as Honeys'.

I find that an incredible feat given that he was a 'suicide'. Don't you? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newsboynyc