CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not an expert in this area and IMO I really do not know if we have a true depiction of how they were found. The original reports with the coats still on the bodies and slid down the arms like a straight jacket to immobilize the arms and possible movements was the topic for a while.

Now a hand drawn depiction based on someone looking at crime scene photos shows hands perfectly beside the bodies palms up. Not as described and published to the public in the first week after discovery.

When this new drawing/report came out and omitted the coats and made no mention of why originally the reports were they were found in them was not discussed left me feeling that we have been fed details that are untrue or not of fact. The drawing IMO was set out to show that they were displayed like the statues. It was KD that made this statement and wrote that they looked like the statues, not police or the private investigators.

TORONTO -- The bodies of Barry and Honey Sherman were in a similar pose to a pair of life-sized statues displayed in the billionaire couple’s basement, according to a report by Toronto Star chief investigative reporter Kevin Donovan.

As for the connection between the statues and the bodies, Donovan said it’s unclear if police have come to any conclusions about the apparent similarities.

“I have no idea what the police or the private investigators have come up with related to these photos,” he said. “I’ve asked the police and they’ve said they can’t comment on anything in an active and ongoing investigation.”

I remind myself this is KD's story that he is surmising information he uncovers and trying to relate any subject matter to the case. KD can only go with what information he can uncover, I assume someone early on told him about the coats or lack there of, but to date I have not seen anyone come out and say they were not found in their winter coats.

Makes me wonder has KD been instructed by LE to no longer talk about the coats? Are LE and KD working together more than we know, is KD feeding specific details to the public so LE can move forward?

"they called for a “thorough, intensive and objective criminal investigation,” urging the media to refrain from reporting until the investigation is complete."

When I look back at the pictures of the bodies being removed from the home on the gurney's they look like they could have a winter coat on, or the bodies were bloated as the middle of the bodies seemed to be very large compared to the feet.

The longer this goes without an arrest I am really not sure if we can decipher if any of the news paper articles are completely accurate or give us the facts we could use to actually assist with pertinent information and public sleuthing to assist LE with information.

If it is this frustrating for us, I cannot fathom being a family member.
Have you read the Q and A from KD on the Toronto Star podcast?

KD say FD helped him gain access to people involved in case, and possibly some family members.

Could FD be directing him towards JS for personal reasons.

Most info from KD in my opinion points to JS as main suspect. Mosts emails are between JS and BS.

Just for info, in case anyone isn't aware of the 'media only' thread re the Sherman case, I posted a listing of KD's Suspicion podcasts over there.
Thank you for this. Does my one know if there are transcripts available for the podcast? I’m hearing impaired. :/

Handing over millions of dollars to young people doesn't bode well and as KD said, it wasn't a happy house. The first two kids were given tons of money and the younger ones weren't. JS made a comment at one point, calling his businesses "hobby businesses" - I can't remember if that was the exact term - but to a normal person, his businesses definitely weren't hobbies, the storage business is big and he has other things on the go. I have a small business myself and would never call it a hobby, I built it up from the very beginning and have a sense of pride. He looks at things differently because money came to him so easily.

As far as the cousins go, they were owed nothing. They got really greedy and paid for it. They were left money from their parents and chose to blow it as adults. Barry did more for them than he had to by putting them in rehab and persuading them to start businesses which he financed. Even with all the promissory notes he had them sign, they had a leg up from the start compared to the rest of us who earn our way through life.
My friend's parents had a lot of money and to spend their time doing something they opened a business that cost them more to run than they made through any sales. It appears that they never made a profit from the business and it was more something to keep them busy and to look productive as well as to talk to people who dropped by. It could be considered a hobby business.

I think, there were even two of some kind of miser, H also. She protected their wealth at least against children and cousins and lived relatively thrifty herself, afaik. What made her so generous to her sister and the many Charities? Idk, and I wonder again.
Sometimes to be liked and befriended by others in the community social scene giving money away may be a way to do it.

Very lengthy article with lots of detail.
The ''new information'' that led ''police to pursue the theory that someone — or some people — were watching Honey and Barry before the murders'', did not grab my attention previously, but it does now.

On another note, why would BS be tied so tightly at the wrists, does that suggest HS was not tied as tightly? Apparently he usually parked in the garage.
Also, wondering how the S offspring feel about BS's nephew TF, telling LE that the S's were frustrated that their kids lack a ''work ethic''

Dec. 31, 2021 rbbm.
''One year into the Barry and Honey Sherman murder investigation, a bombshell: Toronto Police believed it was possible the murderer or murderers were stalking the billionaire couple a month or more before they were killed, search warrant documents reveal.

But police were struggling. A Toronto judge was repeatedly denying their request to track by cellular telephone transmission the whereabouts, at the time of the murders, of 35 individuals who were “persons of interest.”

''Pathologists made the determination that Barry was restrained by both looking at red marks circling Barry’s wrists, and by autopsy, locating the pooling of blood beneath the skin, a sign that he was likely bound tightly.''

''While this was going on, one person police had previously interviewed came forward with new information. This is described starkly in one ITO as “new information,” but the pages the Star has obtained from court are completely redacted because police say to reveal that information will harm their case.

This “new information” appears to have led police to pursue the theory that someone — or some people — were watching Honey and Barry before the murders.

By mid-2018, detectives already had the tracking data emitted by Barry’s BlackBerry and Honey’s iPhone. Now, by December 2018, they were still seeking permission to obtain the tracking data from as many as 35 other cellphones
. Due, it appears, to the new information, police wanted to “parallel the tracking data from Bernard’s or Honey’s cellular phone records,” police state. “If they do parallel this could indicate that Bernard and/or Honey were followed or were under surveillance,” police wrote in their application to the court.

''While Bell and Rogers keep all data for at least a year, Telus deletes texting data after 150 days (but keeps other data for longer). Rogers, the documents show, keeps its data for 13 months and in Yim’s December application, 12 months after the murders, Yim said he feared the data “could be lost forever.” Bell keeps all of its data for three years.

Three times from June to November, Pringle was asked to approve applications for phone tracking data for these phones (cellphones “ping” off a tower and give highly accurate latitude and longitude co-ordinates of where they are located) going back in most cases one month before the murders, but in some cases several months. Each time she allowed a few, but denied most.''

''These interview statements — there are dozens in each of the ITOs — consist of people telling police their theories of who might have a grudge against the Shermans, peppered with recollections of who the Shermans were and their daily habits. How Barry was brilliant, but invested millions of dollars with people and was sometimes taken advantage of; how he worked late and liked to park in the basement garage (where he did the night he died). How Honey was a good friend to many, but did not always get along with her children, and always parked in the driveway on the right side of the house (which she did the night she died). And how, as Barry’s nephew Ted Florence told police, Barry and Honey had “some frustrations with their children because of their lack of work ethic because the children were raised in and exposed to a lot of money.”

''Yim went back to court in December with a different tactic, still seeking permission for the tracking data for about two dozen phones. Pringle had been holding him to a high standard, insisting that police provide “reasonable grounds” to believe that the tracking data would provide “evidence” of murder. Now Yim argued that all he needed to provide was “reasonable grounds to suspect data will assist in the investigation.”

''Looking at all of these applications it is clear that the police were looking for the following: proof that one or more of those 35 people were following the Shermans around for a month or more; were near Old Colony Road the night of the murders; or were communicating with the unknown suspect with the odd walk that police long believed was either the killer or a lookout for the killer.

With a few of the numbers, police also wanted access to “tracking and transmission data” six to eight weeks after the murder, just before and just after police announced the Shermans were “targeted” in a double murder. And while there is no indication in these documents that there were any wire taps of phones, one heavily redacted section is headed, “events that may stimulate conversation between involved parties.”

Thank you for this. Does my one know if there are transcripts available for the podcast? I’m hearing impaired. :/

I understand. KD’s podcasts so far are a mix of his book and articles, but he’s updated some information. I emailed the Star to ask if transcripts are available, and if they respond I’ll post the link. Hopefully they’ll put the episodes on Youtube and we can put cc on to understand what they’re saying.

I tried transcribing them, but each episode is about 30 minutes long and even if I succeed I’m not sure about the copyright rules and posting them here. (Press conferences and short interviews are different and we have a few in the media thread.)

Imagine, Honey perhaps brought the first perp with her, wellknown to her and unsuspicious. The second perp, maybe the NW, arrived later, as agreed, and on foot.
Would it be possible? Is KD right with his opinion (or fact?), that these murders weren't planned beforehand?
I don't think KD said that the murders weren't planned beforehand, just that the plan came together quickly. I took this to mean in the days leading up to the murders, not while they were in the house.

I think, there were even two of some kind of miser, H also. She protected their wealth at least against children and cousins and lived relatively thrifty herself, afaik. What made her so generous to her sister and the many Charities? Idk, and I wonder again.

The sister, I don’t know. (Small Jewish family whose ancestors perished in the Holocaust? That could explain a lot).

But why she was generous to charities is obvious. What Barry was lacking in social skills, Honey had more than enough for both. In fact, such people don’t merely want, they need people around them, and they are very attuned to societal norms.

And these norms in US and Canada dictate, if the society allowed and helped you to get rich, you have to give back to it. Philanthropy when you are rich is almost a must. It is encouraged in many ways, even with tax breaks. Of course you have the option of not sharing with the community and buying the biggest yacht for yourself instead; but such attitude is intensely disliked. One article in a newspaper about someone egotistically not giving enough back to the community might break a business. And you need community life, connections and support to advance yours. If you want to be accepted, you’d better donate commensurately with your neighbors. (Many affluent neighborhood museums have boards with the names of local donors. Imagine how it looks when your name is not there, and you live in the area). In a way, it is a good advertisement, too. I consider such culture a very positive and healthy thing. Hey, even a man like Al Capone went into history as the organizer of first soup kitchens in the US. Here, they never let anyone’s charity be forgotten.

I think that BS was HS’s project the same way as the company was his. I’d venture to guess that he wouldn’t be halfway as successful without her social input. And being intuitive, she felt the rules of the social game and behaved accordingly. I don’t think she was a miser nor do I think she was naturally generous. But at every step in her life, she fit in. So when they became truly rich, they became mega-donors.

MOO (maybe she simply enjoyed it). But it is culture-congruent.

Last edited:
The sister, I don’t know. (Small Jewish family whose ancestors perished in the Holocaust? That could explain a lot).

But why she was generous to charities is obvious. What Barry was lacking in social skills, Honey had more than enough for both. In fact, such people don’t merely want, they need people around them, and they are very attuned to societal norms.

And these norms in US and Canada dictate, if the society allowed and helped you to get rich, you have to give back to it. Philanthropy when you are rich is almost a must. It is encouraged in many ways, even with tax breaks. Of course you have the option of not sharing with the community and buying the biggest yacht for yourself instead; but such attitude is intensely disliked. One article in a newspaper about someone egotistically not giving enough back to the community might break a business. And you need community life, connections and support to advance yours. If you want to be accepted, you’d better donate commensurately with your neighbors. (Many affluent neighborhood museums have boards with the names of local donors. Imagine how it looks when your name is not there, and you live in the area). In a way, it is a good advertisement, too. I consider such culture a very positive and healthy thing. Hey, even a man like Al Capone went into history as the organizer of first soup kitchens in the US. Here, they never let anyone’s charity be forgotten.

I think that BS was HS’s project the same way as the company was his. I’d venture to guess that he wouldn’t be halfway as successful without her social input. And being intuitive, she felt the rules of the social game and behaved accordingly. I don’t think she was a miser nor do I think she was naturally generous. But at every step in her life, she fit in. So when they became truly rich, they became mega-donors.

MOO (maybe she simply enjoyed it). But it is culture-congruent.
She had been his "early trophy wife" (as she coquetting said herself), and she did him credit, it seems? Yin/Yang, like JS called into memory. Each one useless without the other. Two extremes for the 4 children (and who knows, to whom else).

It makes sense, they died together. Or it much more makes sense, someone thought, they have to die together. Sad as it is.

Here is a reply from KD from Mondays Q and A in regard to FD connection to B.

Anyone ever wonder if the TPS are more corrupt that incompetent? Here is an article showing an OPP officer and crown attorneys at FD victory party for his acquittal from his sexual assault case. Do people have connections to TPS as well?

OPP photos tie Crowns to D'Angelo victory bash

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230425-225258_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230425-225258_Firefox.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 19
Big spending was about to occur prior to the murders, plus the possibility of BS following through with his stated plan of signing on to Bill G's ''The Living Pledge".
If they had not died and things went according to plan, HS would have her ''own'' money, leading MS to then also have money, an over the top extravagant mansion was about to be built, Apotex was poised to expand in the US and BS planned on making ''an enormous donation to charity''.
Wondering now if it matters who died first, HS or BS?
rbbm imo, speculation.

Tyler Dawson
Published Jun 15, 2021
''Upon their deaths, Barry Sherman held $67 million in personal property and $1.8 million in real estate. Honey Sherman had $45.9 million in personal property and $9.5 million in real estate, the documents say. This figure covered by the estate files, though, represents a fraction of their true wealth; Forbes estimates Barry Sherman was worth around $3 billion at the time of his death.''

''Simultaneous Deaths and the Shermans’ Estates​

In the case of the Shermans, the unknown circumstances of their deaths may lead to uncertainty with respect to how their estates, totalling a combined $5-10 billion, are to be administered. It has been reported, although as yet unconfirmed due to the court’s sealing order, that Barry had primary and secondary wills, while Honey died without a will. Apparently, Barry’s wills may have left the residue of his estate to Honey in the event he predeceased her.4 If this is true, and Barry is found to have died before Honey, complications could arise if the residue of his estate were to pass to Honey’s estate to then be distributed to her heirs pursuant to the laws of intestate succession.5 This would have the unintended effect of distributing some or all of his estate assets according to a statutory scheme rather than in accordance with his wishes.''​

''Barry Sherman had big plans in the year leading up to his murder — make an enormous donation to charity, gift hundreds of millions of dollars to his wife, Honey, and expand Apotex.
Those plans, described to the Star in interviews by people close to the Sherman couple, had not been acted upon at the time of their murders.''

''Barry was talking about giving Honey a substantial amount of money,” said one person close to Barry.
The Sherman friends say one complicating factor in the planned gift to Honey was Shechtman.
“It was to be Honey’s money,” said a close friend. “If she wanted to give some to Mary, fine.”

''Intriguingly it has been reported that Honey also confided that she planned to change her will just three weeks before the couple died. No will has been found for Honey and the couple were dead before they could do anything about the idea of signing up to The Giving Pledge''.

Big spending was about to occur prior to the murders, plus the possibility of BS following through with his stated plan of signing on to Bill G's ''The Living Pledge".
If they had not died and things went according to plan, HS would have her ''own'' money, leading MS to then also have money, an over the top extravagant mansion was about to be built, Apotex was poised to expand in the US and BS planned on making ''an enormous donation to charity''.
Wondering now if it matters who died first, HS or BS?
rbbm imo, speculation.

Tyler Dawson
Published Jun 15, 2021
''Upon their deaths, Barry Sherman held $67 million in personal property and $1.8 million in real estate. Honey Sherman had $45.9 million in personal property and $9.5 million in real estate, the documents say. This figure covered by the estate files, though, represents a fraction of their true wealth; Forbes estimates Barry Sherman was worth around $3 billion at the time of his death.''

''Simultaneous Deaths and the Shermans’ Estates​

In the case of the Shermans, the unknown circumstances of their deaths may lead to uncertainty with respect to how their estates, totalling a combined $5-10 billion, are to be administered. It has been reported, although as yet unconfirmed due to the court’s sealing order, that Barry had primary and secondary wills, while Honey died without a will. Apparently, Barry’s wills may have left the residue of his estate to Honey in the event he predeceased her.4 If this is true, and Barry is found to have died before Honey, complications could arise if the residue of his estate were to pass to Honey’s estate to then be distributed to her heirs pursuant to the laws of intestate succession.5 This would have the unintended effect of distributing some or all of his estate assets according to a statutory scheme rather than in accordance with his wishes.''​

''Barry Sherman had big plans in the year leading up to his murder — make an enormous donation to charity, gift hundreds of millions of dollars to his wife, Honey, and expand Apotex.
Those plans, described to the Star in interviews by people close to the Sherman couple, had not been acted upon at the time of their murders.''

''Barry was talking about giving Honey a substantial amount of money,” said one person close to Barry.
The Sherman friends say one complicating factor in the planned gift to Honey was Shechtman.
“It was to be Honey’s money,” said a close friend. “If she wanted to give some to Mary, fine.”

''Intriguingly it has been reported that Honey also confided that she planned to change her will just three weeks before the couple died. No will has been found for Honey and the couple were dead before they could do anything about the idea of signing up to The Giving Pledge''.
Jumping off your post with something I noticed.

From your last paragraph: ''Intriguingly it has been reported that Honey also confided that she planned to change her will just three weeks before the couple died.”
_________

One witness said Honey did say she updated her will about three weeks prior to the murders:

Roughly a week after the Nov. 13, 2017, birth of the Sherman couple’s third grandchild, Honey told one of her confidants she had just that day “updated” her will at a lawyer’s office.

“Honey and I were talking and she said meet me at Yonge and St. Clair Avenue. She said she was just coming from her lawyer’s office and she had just updated her will. She had done some amendments,” the confidant told the Star. “Honey said she wanted me to first go with her to Loblaws to get those frozen croissants from Ace Bakery that she liked, then we would go to her home.”

The Star has agreed not to identify the person — we will refer to the person as one of Honey’s service providers — due to the individual’s concern for safety. The person provided a regular service to Honey in her home for several years and the two had regular conversations during these times.

The service provider gave this information to the Toronto homicide squad shortly after the murders.

The conversation regarding Honey’s will that day came about because Honey had volunteered to pick up the service provider for the drive to the Sherman’s Old Colony Road home in North York, to save having to take public transit.

The exact date of the conversation is not known by the Star, but the service provider said it happened soon after the Nov. 13 birth of the Shermans’ third grandchild. “Honey was so excited about the baby,” the service provider told the Star.

______

Jonathon to KD (no context provided):
I don’t know anyone who can plan a murder in three weeks, but I can tell you I was not involved,” Jonathon says.

One thing that happened approximately three weeks before the murders was that Barry asked to meet with him and Jack Kay to discuss succession plans and work at Apotex. Jonathon said he’d only meet if AP was present, but Barry said he only wanted Jonathon there. The meeting never took place.

Also this email exchange was from about three weeks before the murders:

‘On Nov. 28, the day after the lunch, Paulin writes to Glasenberg, copying Barry and Jonathon. Subject: Short term cash needs. “Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” Paulin and Jonathon were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.” In my interview with Jonathon, he said they needed this money to fund plans already in the works to “build out” some of their storage facilities.

Three minutes later, Barry writes back: “Adam: As discussed, you have to take steps immediately to arrange mortgages (to repay the $50-60 million). What will you do and when?”’

(From article linked directly above.)

ETA: In his book KD wrote 50 Old Colony had been on the market for three weeks prior to the murders. (They had an open house, but I’d have to search to find it.)

2nd ETA: The open house was two weeks prior to the murders.

“Sarah Alvi lives with her family across the road from the Sherman home and has known the couple for four years. She said that she last saw them two weeks ago, when they had an open house – and could not imagine anything like this happening to a pair she described as the "best neighbours" and the pride of the neighbourhood.

"It's heartbreaking. It's shocking," Ms. Alvi said. "Knowing who they were, it wouldn't come to your mind at all”

Last edited:
Jumping off your post with something I noticed.

From your last paragraph: ''Intriguingly it has been reported that Honey also confided that she planned to change her will just three weeks before the couple died.”
_________

One witness said Honey did say she updated her will about three weeks prior to the murders:

Roughly a week after the Nov. 13, 2017, birth of the Sherman couple’s third grandchild, Honey told one of her confidants she had just that day “updated” her will at a lawyer’s office.

“Honey and I were talking and she said meet me at Yonge and St. Clair Avenue. She said she was just coming from her lawyer’s office and she had just updated her will. She had done some amendments,” the confidant told the Star. “Honey said she wanted me to first go with her to Loblaws to get those frozen croissants from Ace Bakery that she liked, then we would go to her home.”

The Star has agreed not to identify the person — we will refer to the person as one of Honey’s service providers — due to the individual’s concern for safety. The person provided a regular service to Honey in her home for several years and the two had regular conversations during these times.

The service provider gave this information to the Toronto homicide squad shortly after the murders.

The conversation regarding Honey’s will that day came about because Honey had volunteered to pick up the service provider for the drive to the Sherman’s Old Colony Road home in North York, to save having to take public transit.

The exact date of the conversation is not known by the Star, but the service provider said it happened soon after the Nov. 13 birth of the Shermans’ third grandchild. “Honey was so excited about the baby,” the service provider told the Star.

______

Jonathon to KD (no context provided):
I don’t know anyone who can plan a murder in three weeks, but I can tell you I was not involved,” Jonathon says.

One thing that happened approximately three weeks before the murders was that Barry asked to meet with him and Jack Kay to discuss succession plans and work at Apotex. Jonathon said he’d only meet if AP was present, but Barry said he only wanted Jonathon there. The meeting never took place.

Also this email exchange was from about three weeks before the murders:

‘On Nov. 28, the day after the lunch, Paulin writes to Glasenberg, copying Barry and Jonathon. Subject: Short term cash needs. “Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” Paulin and Jonathon were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.” In my interview with Jonathon, he said they needed this money to fund plans already in the works to “build out” some of their storage facilities.

Three minutes later, Barry writes back: “Adam: As discussed, you have to take steps immediately to arrange mortgages (to repay the $50-60 million). What will you do and when?”’

(From article linked directly above.)

ETA: In his book KD wrote 50 Old Colony had been on the market for three weeks prior to the murders. (They had an open house, but I’d have to search to find it.)
''At least one such source said they were discovered by a realtor showing the house, which had been listed for sale for the previous two weeks.''

''At least one such source said they were discovered by a realtor showing the house, which had been listed for sale for the previous two weeks.''

That information may be correct and KD’s book information may be dated, imo. (I’ve read two weeks in a few places.)

From KD’s book:
1F909AEB-57EC-45EC-B93B-EA1B62BED398.png

ETA: If a POI or suspect moved closer to the Shermans in order to follow them, the house being listed would have meant they’d have to speed up their plans to kill them, imo.

Last edited:
First and foremost the home contained 2 life sized art statues in a room near the crime scene eerily similar to the positioning of the bodies of Barry and Honey Sherman....I cannot imagine that to be a coincidence.

<Admin Note: edited to provide link to image>
from: Barry and Honey Sherman's bodies were found posed like the sculptures in their basement
Hmmm, is there any murders near here involving this type of placement, or "imitation" positioning, that either a) someone who knew of or about the statues in the home, or b) a stranger surveyed the house before/after/during the crime, came across them and thought it macabrely sufficient to take inspiration.

An interesting tidbit that may represent itself a clue? A signature maybe? What is the relationship with the couple and the statue, I wonder.
*UPDATE*
I now see it was a gift from friends sometime ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member