CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered @ Home - Toronto #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know what the flooring is made of? I guess it could be slate since slate is a natural around wet areas as it's not slippery. But it has uneven surfaces. I wondered if it was some kind of etched concrete around the pool. It looks like some lime is leaching out of the stone leaving a powdery residue which could show up drag marks but they'd be negative drag marks.
My guess is slate by looking at the condition of the tiles, especially by the spiral staircase. But concrete makes sense as well.

Episode 3, around 21:00 mark, KD mentioned they were drag marks through dust and it was on Honey’s shoes. “..there are what appear to be drag marks between the (pool) door and where the Sherman bodies were found. The theory investigators have told me is that Honey was dragged by the upper body into position. There are dusty scuff marks on the back of her shoes..”

Workers were in the basement repairing water damage to the front window, but that was at the front of the home.

Dust gets everywhere even with small sanding jobs, maybe that’s what it was?

Welcome to Ws@ihavenofearonlylove!
Cannot recall offhand if BS was wearing tie-up shoes or not, but a shoelace might be considered a soft ligature. imo, speculation.
Nothing was taken afawk, or at least not reported to be stolen.

''Barry Sherman had $372 in his wallet when he died. Honey Sherman’s wallet was stuffed with $7,500, possibly from a visit to an ATM shortly before she was killed.
Sources say cash discovered at the crime scene explains why a homicide detective went to great lengths to calm fears in the neighbourhood shortly after the bodies were found. It was unlikely their deaths were a break-in gone wrong.''
Did Honey normally carry that much cash around, wonder if it was specifically to pay someone who was coming to pick it up from her.

I wonder if this repairman may have forgotten how much farther back the pool was (since he stated he hadn't serviced the pool in years?)? But really, he wouldn't have had a reason to even go through that doorway leading to the spiral staircase. I noticed that this spiral staircase also has a glass block wall between it and the garage.
View attachment 404901
(above photo from real estate photo spread)

Photos showing Barry's car parked in the garage near the glass block walls (presumably nearest to the door/entrance to the house(?), which would've been the other side of that spiral staircase, imo).
View attachment 404905View attachment 404906
Photos from this article: Barry and Honey Sherman murder detectives learn cellular ‘tower dump’ was a bust
...the rope around the lady's wrist, and then leading to the sheep's neck is quite odd to have on the same floor as the crime.
If present during the Sherman's residency in the home, an even more abstract decoration of the home.
Could this been either coincidental, seen on the way in, or simply a metaphor for "don't be a sheep...?"

Last edited:
My guess is slate by looking at the condition of the tiles, especially by the spiral staircase. But concrete makes sense as well.

Episode 3, around 21:00 mark, KD mentioned they were drag marks through dust and it was on Honey’s shoes. “..there are what appear to be drag marks between the (pool) door and where the Sherman bodies were found. The theory investigators have told me is that Honey was dragged by the upper body into position. There are dusty scuff marks on the back of her shoes..”

Workers were in the basement repairing water damage to the front window, but that was at the front of the home.

Dust gets everywhere even with small sanding jobs, maybe that’s what it was?
sorry hit reply in error

So many people didn't benefit from their death and so many others did. I wonder about AP. Did he have money of his own before BS loaned he and JS so many millions? Did he have a job or business before they teamed up? I know his family had money but they may not have been as generous as Barry since not many have billions. JS would have likely been cared for by Barry even if he had to mortgage everything to get money to Barry. FDA seems to have lost everything when Barry called in the loans on his various projects. MS lost her expected millions because HS died.

The daughters, even if they didn't have as many millions, still would have had something given to them by their parents. Alexandra was a trained nurse, the oldest daughter had a business in BC, not sure about the youngest although I seem to remember she owned an apartment building or something. They didn't have huge, risky businesses to worry about.

MOO.

Seller Arranging, Paying for Home Inspection. Why?
Adding more to the thought, was this why BS was bringing home the inspection report? Most often it is the buyers responsibility and cost to have a home inspection completed, possibly the report was to prove the value BS wanted to sell for. Odd that BS would spend the $$ on a home inspection report if it was not in his best interest.
This again makes me think BS was not selling the home as a tear down.
@Bobbi Pearl Hi. No idea if B was thinking sale as teardown, but why might a Seller arrange and/or pay for a Home Inspection.
See caveat below (longer than this comment LOL).

A Seller may get a HI, so he has opportunity to make needed maintenance/repairs before listing prop. for sale, hoping then to get HIGHER OFFER than if repairs are needed.
Alternatively if Seller's HI report shows no or few deficiencies, when a potential Buyer makes offer under listing price, Seller can make a counter-offer using his HI report to bolster his counter-offer's price. "See, you can buy w NO SURPRISE REPAIRS popping up." Like you said---- "possibly the report was to prove the value BS wanted to sell for."

That's my 2 cents (in US currency ):) and it may/may not be relevant to Canada home sales gen'ly or to B's thinking specifically.

Difficult to think about buying $ 5 or 6 mil. home (occupied & presumably fully operational) as a teardown but different strokes, etc. Maybe just me.

BTW in US usu'ly buyer arranges for home inspection, w seller's consent for inspector to enter the property. To detect undisclosed "issues" which may not be reflected in Seller's disclosure forms, Buyer may do this even before making an offer to avoid making an "over-priced" offer, which does not factor in the money Buyer will need to spend after closing for deferred maintenance (e.g., new roof, new windows, replace HVAC systems, whatever).
Also if Buyer needs financing, some lenders may require a Home Inspection report to calculate loan-to-value ratio before underwriting.

Last edited:
The Old Colony Road lot is still for sale. It's listed at $4,998,000. They've actually changed the address number from 50 to 48 I presume to eliminate hundreds of hits of one of the most infamous murders in Toronto. The taxes are $19,147.00 annually. I think it may have already been bought and sold since the demolition. I just can't imagine what a nightmare it would be to start digging a foundation and finding all sorts of artifacts from the home that were bulldozed into the ground.

Based on the going values of homes for sale in this area in 2017 I think the home was priced low since Honey probably knew it was going to be a tear down. I doubt Barry saw it that way. I think in his head he wanted to invest in a home inspection report because he wanted to highlight it was in tip top shape but I don't think that would have mattered to a prospective buyer. It was so stuck in the 80s with all that glass block, acres of polished marble floors and outdated rooms that a renovation would have cost a couple of million on top of the sale price. Most homes in that area in the 10000 sq foot category were going for upward of $10 million in 2017.

Last edited:
Response below links.
rbbm
''The Bernard Sherman Family Trust, of which Honey is a trustee, bought a property in Sunny Isles Beach, Fla., six years ago. The property was granted to the family trust for $10, according to a warranty deed from 2011.
A previous real estate listing for the unit, on the 34th floor of a 37-storey beachfront condominium, includes sprawling ocean views, statues on the porch and floor-to-ceiling windows.''

''The property at 91 Old Forest Hill Rd. is desolate now, an empty 25,000-square-foot lot near Eglinton Ave. W. and Spadina Rd. where a house once stood. The plot of land was registered in Honey’s name in November 2016, and the old house had been demolished to make way for something new.''

''Outside, gardens would wrap around the house, with spots designated for sculptures. An outdoor dining area included a barbecue station, trailing over to a concrete path, another sculpture and a high garden wall. Stepping stones would lead you to the driveway.''

''Kate's old police instincts naturally reemerge as she delves into the case. Soon, two other murders related to the New York art world occur, and Kate finds that the killer -- now known as "the Death Artist" -- is communicating with her, leaving clues such as Polaroids and jumbled pieces of artwork. Somehow, Jacques-Louis David's famous painting The Death of Marat is at the heart of the murder spree, but how so?''

''CSI is caught in a race against time to catch a failed artist-turned serial killer who is leaving his victims in unusual poses all over Las Vegas.''
''It becomes clear that all victims, who have very little in common, must have been murdered in a gas-chamber, moved and staged like macabre artwork. Indeed a critic proves key to the case.''

''But on closer look, there is something unnerving about the tableau. The Venus is crooked. A spindle chair lies on its side. And a curious dark stain has pooled on the otherwise clean white linen sheets. One need only to turn the page of the album to solve the mystery, since the next photo captures the grislier sight on the floor behind the bed: the Madame’s dead body.

When the Paris police investigated Mme Debeinche’s May 1903 murder, they began by photographing the crime scene. And while that might seem mundane to anyone accustomed to TV police procedurals, documenting foul play was a relatively novel use of the camera in 1903. Her bedroom remains one the earliest recorded crime scenes, and the Madame herself has the unfortunate distinction of being one of the earliest murder victims preserved in a photograph.''

''A macabre genealogy stretches from Mme Debeinche to the reproductions of crime-scene photos that proliferate in true-crime documentaries and dramas today. The very idea that a violent death was worth the gaze of the camera’s lens, its image valued enough to be preserved and archived, belongs to Bertillon. He still haunts the scene of every crime.
BY: STASSA EDWARDS'' rbbm.
Crime Scene photography
THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART
<EM>BEDROOM OF MADAME DEBEINCHE, MURDERED MAY 5, 1903. FROM THIS ANGLE,THE SCENE LOOKS UNSETTLING, WITH THE PICTURE ASKEW AND THE DARK STAIN ON THE BED
...the rope around the lady's wrist, and then leading to the sheep's neck is quite odd to have on the same floor as the crime.
If present during the Sherman's residency in the home, an even more abstract decoration of the home.
Could this been either coincidental, seen on the way in, or simply a metaphor for "don't be a sheep...?"
In earlier posts, i commented that the sheep with a rope around its neck, reminded me of a sheep being led to slaughter.
Wondering if anyone had recently visited the METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART, read a book or watched a show that involved the 'artful' staging of murder victims.
speculation, fwiw, imo.

Last edited:
The Old Colony Road lot is still for sale. It's listed at $4,998,000. They've actually changed the address number from 50 to 48 I presume to eliminate hundreds of hits of one of the most infamous murders in Toronto. The taxes are $19,147.00 annually. I think it may have already been bought and sold since the demolition. I just can't imagine what a nightmare it would be to start digging a foundation and finding all sorts of artifacts from the home that were bulldozed into the ground.

! Wow. I had wondered what happened to it. MLS:

705E43CD-F5E3-4700-B23E-65B1938CE034.jpeg

It was sold after the murders for $4.2 million. They may make millions for doing nothing with it for three years.

Last edited:

The Shermans had a lot of art work throughout the home; some of it quirky like this piece. It's possible the sculpture represents Little Bo Peep who lost her sheep and ultimately found it. Or it could be interpreted as a sheep to the slaughter. That dichotomy is why it's a great piece of art.

I wonder if the previous buyer of the property was not aware of its history????

I wonder if the previous buyer of the property was not aware of its history????
rbbm Yes, she must be aware, imo.

''A Porsche Boxster-driving 28-year-old woman has paid $4.25 million to purchase the Toronto property where Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered three years ago. Fifty Old Colony Rd. was sold as a building lot after the Sherman family tore the home down.

The woman, who appears to live with family nearby, is the new registered owner. Neither the woman or her lawyer could be reached for comment. The Star is not naming her in this story and is continuing to try and reach her.

Documents filed with the provincial land registry show the Sherman home was sold in late August. An agreement was made between the Sherman estate trustees and the woman to “suppress” the true sale price, according to land registry documents. A nominal value of $2 was recorded on the transfer document. This can be done, a provincial official told the Star, if both sides agree to it and if the buyer pays the land transfer tax up front before the deal closes.''

! Wow. I had wondered what happened to it. MLS:
View attachment 417655
It was sold after the murders for $4.25 million. They may make millions for doing nothing with it for three years.
@Lexiintoronto Per your links.
2020......Sold ..........$4,250,000, per Dec. 2020 Toronto Star article.(Paywalled)
2023......Asking price. $6,498,000.

Days on Mkt w realtor.ca: 24. Any offers yet?

Yes, even after deducting transfer tax, RE brokerage commissions, title ins, other fees to close, seller will likely have more than pocket change left.
To
"Toronto has the highest land transfer tax rates in Canada as it levies an additional land transfer tax equal in value to the Ontario land transfer tax."
Taxation in Canada - Wikipedia

@Lexiintoronto Per your links.
2020......Sold ..........$4,250,000, per Dec. 2020 Toronto Star article.(Paywalled)
2023......Asking price. $6,498,000.

Days on Mkt w realtor.ca: 24. Any offers yet?

Yes, even after deducting transfer tax, RE brokerage commissions, title ins, other fees to close, seller will likely have more than pocket change left.
To
"Toronto has the highest land transfer tax rates in Canada as it levies an additional land transfer tax equal in value to the Ontario land transfer tax."
Taxation in Canada - Wikipedia
Looks like it has been on the market since December 2022, listed for $6,998,000.. then cancelled, relisted.. for same price March 7.. it's also showing it was prev listed for $4,998,000 (not sure when, I can't see when price changed) and then increased.. and the description (from MLS listing) says (BBM):

Rarely Available Premium Lot With Permit To Build Now. Build A 12000 Square Feet Unique Luxury Dream Home With Indoor Swimming Pool And Integral Below Grade Parking. This Rare 105 X 256 Ft Lot Is On One Of The Most Desirable Streets In Gta. Close To Shopping, Entertainment, High Ranking Public And Private Schools And Restaurants. (31430480)
Sounds like perhaps previously they'd been trying to sell it without a building permit to build new.. so the price increased substantially? Lot size is same as when B&H had it for sale with a house on the land, and property taxes have reduced by approx $10,000, due to vacant land, vs land with a house. imo.

Biggy: -JS and AP would presumably have been more and more pressured by BS into getting their own bank financing on the $50-60M he'd asked to be returned... and in the event they did not qualify (or the properties to be mortgaged did not qualify) for that amount, then there would be some very uncomfortable questions/discussions happening, imo.
-in addition to just further expanding APO, BS was planning to open an entire US operation.. had purchased the property already, etc.
-would presumably have been subject to the lawsuit in regard to raising funds for JT?
-would have gone on to face the outcome of the pending legal action/payout that was hanging over BS's head..
-further investment into that big condo building, 'one'?
-ongoing continuance of BS's SOP of losing millions one day and gaining millions the next day, which business model apparently JS despised
Also they were planning significant charitable donations.

What would have happened, if both HS and BS had not been murdered? What did JS not like at all?

Without murders would have happened:
the home sale
building the new fairytale-mansion
further expanding the business Apotex, other businesses
further big "loans" to best friends of BS
one-time transfer of a biiiig sum from BS to HS at HS' disposal and for the new mansion (AND for her sister also)
change of HS' will after or when getting the biiiig sum, changing the content to being not in the interests of the children
further sporadically collection of money by BS, perceived as harassment by the son (and maybe others?)
what else?

More of a question. Does anyone know how the court's ruling reads? Is BS supposed to pay off the billion? Or is it Apotec's liability? Or is the Sherman family supposed to pay the money?

Imagine if only BS was obliged to pay one billion. Could then transferring Apotec and other assets in H's name leaving himself bare help avoid payment? Or were they both equally obliged either way?

I have an intuitive feeling that B did not plan to pay off all that money and perhaps just pretended that he planned to. While it reality, he was slowly moving her assets in H's name. And if transferring property and business in H's name could then leave H free to use it the way she wanted and bequest to whoever she wanted to, then someone could feel threatened.

More of a question. Does anyone know how the court's ruling reads? Is BS supposed to pay off the billion? Or is it Apotec's liability? Or is the Sherman family supposed to pay the money?

Imagine if only BS was obliged to pay one billion. Could then transferring Apotec and other assets in H's name leaving himself bare help avoid payment? Or were they both equally obliged either way?

I have an intuitive feeling that B did not plan to pay off all that money and perhaps just pretended that he planned to. While it reality, he was slowly moving her assets in H's name. And if transferring property and business in H's name could then leave H free to use it the way she wanted and bequest to whoever she wanted to, then someone could feel threatened.
Should JK have known then, by necessity, if he did that? ETA: Or the special employees, who usually handled BS' financial transitions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member